Transient [Drama][GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kaya

Transient [Drama][GxB]

#1 Post by Kaya »

This will be my first time creating a Visual Novel and I decided to write a meaningful story. I've had several ideas for a story inside my head for a while now, mostly tragedies. But.. I don't want to make a tragedy as my first Visual Novel. So I decided that I'll tell a story that will be interesting to others and close to me.
  • I have not decided what Country this story will be set in, or if it will be in a school setting entirely. So, the current names for characters will be Japanese until I've decided based on input ^^
Synopsis

Since birth, Haruka has lived as Koichi. As Koichi, she is the first son and last child of a young couple who had been previously told they would conceive no children. As Haruka, she has felt the burden of living a lie and dreams of one day being able to be herself. She is transgender. As the closing days of December pass by, she comes across a mysterious woman while waiting for a train. The mysterious woman approaches Haruka and seems to know about this well-kept secret. She gives Haruka an offer.

She can wish for one thing, and it will come true.

Skeptic, Haruka wishes that she can fall asleep that night and wake up as a natural girl the following morning. The mysterious woman nods at the wish, and informs Haruka that she will be given twelve months to live as a girl.

--

The Protagonist

She will be a transgender character. I don't have a definitive list of traits for her yet, but I'll try and write one up after exams this week. One of the things I didn't mention above is that her mother died. Haruka was fairly young when the death occurred, so she has few memories of her mother. As of now, she is either sixteen or seventeen. I feel really bad about not having a clear view of this character, so I'll really try to get something detailed up.

--

As for love interests, I'll write about those after I'm finished writing up a detailed paragraph for Haruka.

This story is also inspired by Cinderella, so you could call this a retelling of the story. I also want this story to be noncommercial.

/Nervous first post
Last edited by Kaya on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadenza
Regular
Projects: Ghost Memory

Re: Untitled [Drama][GxB]

#2 Post by Cadenza »

I literally screeched when I read that the protagonist is transgender. Bless your soul. Hopefully you're willing to research trans* people's experiences so that you don't accidentally put in any problematic stuff.

I think she should be sixteen, that's a good age for coming-of-age kinds of stories. Can't wait to hear about her love interests, I hope they're all lovely!

Kaya

#3 Post by Kaya »

Thank you ^^

I've done research on the topic for a year or two, being transgender myself. I'm trying to write the character in a realistic manner, so I'm going to use my own experiences as a backbone. As well as the experiences of others I know. Sixteen is the age I was thinking as well, it's a good age for a coming-of-age story. (And you can split it in half, I like numbers that can divide by two evenly.)

On the topic of love interests, one of them is going to be her best friend. Who is a rather bold person.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

While browsing Indie Games Festival this morning, I found an article about a work-in-progress experimental game called Dys4ia with similar themes. But it does have different gameplay -- it's said to resemble the Wario Ware franchise. (The article originated from Gamasutra, so my link leads there rather than to IGF.)

That said, I'll be waiting to see what you do with your untitled VN. You can choose any setting you want. The story can take place in your hometown, halfway across the world, in the past, in the future, in another world... If you want it to happen in an unfamiliar place and time, then you will benefit from some research -- just as long as the research doesn't result in the story getting bogged down with exposition.

Kaya

#5 Post by Kaya »

Thank you for showing me that! I haven't really seen any Visual Novels or other games that focus on the topic of being transgender, so it was nice to see that game. I am set on basing this in Japan, but it won't be limited to one setting such as a School. I'm currently working on the script for the game, and I plan to be finished with it by the end of the year before I worry about an artist.

I still have no clue about the title of the story, it's hard to name a story like this in my opinion. Anyways, thank you for replying. ^^

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#6 Post by rock_an9el »

Hello! I must admit, this looks interesting to me because I've never played a game with a theme like that before. I sure am curious how this will turn out :) Good luck! ^^ I hope this will be more than just an idea.
Image Image Image

Kaya

#7 Post by Kaya »

A lot of the people I've told are curious as well. I'm curious myself as to how I can pull off writing about a controversial topic, but I feel like I can do it. So far, we have the concept for one of the boys that will be a love interest. His name is Aoi and he has an intersex condition called PAIS (Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome). He also has a.. full grown cat on his head and calls the cat an extension of his soul.
Last edited by Kaya on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rock_an9el
Regular

#8 Post by rock_an9el »

A cat? That's cool! Keep it up! :)
Image Image Image

Kaya

#9 Post by Kaya »

Sorry I haven't replied in a while! Strep throat hit me in the face.

Anyways, the script is coming out slowly but surely. I promise!

rock_an9el
Regular

#10 Post by rock_an9el »

No problem :) I haven't been on Lemmasoft much either... I had a lot of work to do XD
Okay! I'll hold you to it! Can't wait to see this... But take your time too ^_^ It is important to enjoy what you are writing.
Image Image Image

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

Re: Transient [Drama][GxB]

#11 Post by Vilhelmina »

This definitely sounds like something I would play! Looking forward to follow you as you're working on it. :)
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios

Kaya

#12 Post by Kaya »

I'm glad you'll be excited! I'm getting through exams right now, but once I finish them I'll be in full swing.

The person who created the concept of exams needs to burn. In a big fire.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#13 Post by merdeamour »

Wow, what a unique topic for a VN... From the plot, I'm thinking it'll be something that will pull my heartstrings. I've always wondered about transgender people. In my country, being a transgender is a great controversy, and I'm eager to see which country you'd set it in (as that would also require a lot of research). Also, with the MC so young, I'm really curious about what experiences you'll put Haruka through.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

PinkPoison

#14 Post by PinkPoison »

Kaya wrote: The person who created the concept of exams needs to burn. In a big fire.
Yes! I can totally relate to that! >.<

Well, but I actually wanted to drop by and say that I absolutely love the idea of this project!

I also think that this is a really interesting topic and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with in the future :)

Kaya

#15 Post by Kaya »

PinkPoison wrote:I also think that this is a really interesting topic and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with in the future :)
Thank you both! All of these nice comments have left me eager to finish Transient. But, I'll take my time to make a story worthy of your excitement c: