Team Newb.

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Scorpio
Regular
Projects: Team Newb.

Team Newb.

#1 Post by Scorpio »

Okay, Everyone!

We've discussed that our VN will be a Kinetic one.
We've also discussed that we'll have facebook-group page to smoothen communication, together with an eventual website.

Taleweaver also told us that we should further discuss our game in this thread, so I expect everyone to listen and continue his/her post in this thread!

Those who want to change our Team name, no problem, we'll vote on it:
Those who want to keep the name: Scorpio,
Those want to change the name: Shad12ow (The name must have a word that show that we are new. Something like Dawn or Morning), Itwasneveradream (Maybe "Bleu", Scorpio explains: French for Blue, often used to refer to newbies.), Luminar (Likes the name Dawn), FluffyFox (Likes a name something with Dawn or Morning in it aswell)

Appearently nobody cares that our current name is Team Newb. so I figured that it's okay we stay under this name until the end of the project.

Now here's a list of who wants to do what for the project, there are 6 people working on this project:

I wanna do coloring in digital~! I can do traditional line art too if you want. If you guys need any help with ideas and lineart I'm free to help as well!
- Luminar (Queen-position)

I can draw a bit (just not digitaly, and not entirely like a profesional would I guess ><'), I can write a story (I learned English at school, please forgive any grammar/spelling mistakes) for the VN and I can code a bit in ren'py.
- Scorpio (Joker-position)

Wants to help with sprites and BG's - Itwasneveradream (Queen)

Wants to help with the story + coding - LucRSV (A King Bard with Joker tendencies.)

Wants to help with everything, besides Digital Art, unless it's advice you seek or a bit of help - FluffyFox (Q.A.Joker.)

Wants to help with Story + Coding maybe even Digital Art - Shad12ow(Joker)

Explaining positions and lvl's:

Group positions: Joker's, Ace's, Queen's, King's and Bard's.

A Joker in the group is a person who wants to try out everything and is willing to give his/her best to learn from his/her teammates, and help them out as much they can.

An Ace in the group, is an expert in a certain domain;
(An Ace Joker for example, is an expert in all 5 -Writing,Digital Art, Coding, Music/Sound and Assertivity= meaning the person isn't afraid to let his/her idea known to the other teammembers without hurting people's feelings- domains, and is the status we all hope to achieve one day).

A Queen is a Digital Artist/Artist.

A King is a Coder, his/her task is to help give the images received from the queen's a meaning.

A Bard is the storyteller, he/she wanders around in search to find a suiting story for the King and Queen to assimilate in the future Visual Novel.

The positions (Joker etc.) is just a way for me to see who wants to concentrate mostly on what.

Lvl's:

You gain a lvl after each succesfully completed small project :

Small projects :
Traditional art
Lineart
Colouring
Brainstorming
Writing
Proofreading
Adding text
Adding images
Adding music
Synchronising
Seeking Sounds
Composing
Making sounds

The lvl's is purely based on the idea to encourage us x3. I'll be giving a lvl for each task completed succesfully,you can never lose lvl's!You can only gain lvl's.

Why I added lvl's is also my way of me saying: Reach lvl 100!'Cos when you once reached that lvl you will have progressed a lot !
It's is also a way for me to see who is overworking him/herself and who isn't, so I can remind that person that it's a practise team and not a fulltime job or education needed for future life, OR to ask the person who can't complete enough tasks and has trouble keeping up, whether he/she prefers to leave the time for a certain amount of time, in order to avoid that person from overloading her/himself, don't worry, I won't kick anyone out of the team.

The team disbands from the moment one Visual Novel has been succesfully completed, regardless of the quality. As long as it proves that it has been made by people who worked with their heart (and everyone will be credited accordingly of course).

A new group will be made after the first group succesfully completed their Novel.

If you want to leave the group for a while, no problem, just tell us and your spot will be kept free in case you comeback before the VN has been finished.
If you never returned before it's completion, you lose your spot, due to the group disbanding in order for a new group to start.
The work you did invest will always be credited accordingly.
Like that those who have an empty deviantart, will have a VN to add x3.

Here are the details of the members of the group:
Scorpio:
Joker
lvl 0
http://nyxsilentguard.deviantart.com/gallery/
Skype: TaoRaito, Adelina (will only accept requests from members in this group)
Availibility: Only in evenings, sometimes in the morning, Belgium-time.

Fluffyfox:
A.Q. Joker
lvl 0
http://angelliv.deviantart.com/

ItWasNeverADream:
Queen
lvl 0

Shad12dow:
Joker
lvl 0

LucRSV:
Joker
lvl 0

Luminar:
Queen
lvl 0

Okay!Now that's out of the way, here comes the big stuff!

Time to brainstorm and post our Story's summary with our first part! Suggestions from non-members are always welcome, but no forcing it upon us!

Brainstorming ideas:
(the ideas with a question mark, are the ideas that we haven't discussed together yet.)

- Nakige genre (Discussed)
- Male/Female protagonist (Discussed)
- Transgendered protagonist (Discussed)
- A high school senior (Discussed)
- With selective mutism (for various reasons). She/he will face problems with her mutism (Discussed)
- Underage suitable.(Discussed)
- Adventure or romance (Discussed)
- Mystery-game with slice of romance(Discussed)
- MC's talents: Drawing (?)
- What kind of 'selective mutism'? (?)

To do/What we have decided to do:
- Set a genre first, before starting our story's summary.
- Kinetic VN = no different paths, just 1 story.
-

Links to important places:
Facebook-group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/14081586 ... p_activity
Recruitement thread (old thread): http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=19820

Ok guys, dunno if you read the rules for all the the 'working in progress' topics, but they expect us to have a part of the story ready and an actual idea of what the story will be about.

So, since those are the rules, let's hop to it and follow that rule as fast as we can!

Genre of the game, some of us suggested Nagike (crying game or Utsuge: depressing game), the Nagike is the most popular version of VN because the player gets emotionaly attached. Nagike can be romantic, adventure,mystery, highschool etc.

Other genre's who weren't suggested, but can be considered: Science-fiction.

Genres we will not discuss at all: Eroge and Horror (some of our team members are underage!So no, we will not even remotely discuss this. I don't want to traumatize anyone here, we can make an exception on the Horror-genre, because we can limit the horror age appropriately...then again, for a practise team I don't thing it's advisable to start in such a complicated genre.)

(Although I'm pretty sure all of us wants a Nagike KN, I'm still doing this to make sure everyone was informed!)
Votes for Nagike (if you vote for Nagike, pls add what specific genre: Mystery, romance, adventure, a bit of a mix of the three, other etc.): Scorpio (Adventure/Mystery), Shad12ow (Adventure, Romance, Mystery/Detective), Itwasneveradream (Don't like high school settings unless it's fantasy. My vote goes to Adventure/Mystery), Luminar (Mystery and Romance), FluffyFox (Fantasy, Romance, Mystery)

Votes for Science fiction:

Next, gendre of protagonist: Male, female, transgendered or other?
Votes for male: Shad12ow, Itwasneveradream, Luminar
Votes for female: Itwasneveradream, Luminar
Votes for transgendered/Androgynn/Crossdresser/other (Hermaphrodites too have been underage, so as long as it's not mature content, the MC can be special-gendered...k?They're not all a part of someone's perverted mind *casts glare at random perverted people*): Shad12ow, Itwasneveradream (Androgynn, it let's the reader guess MC gendre), Luminar (Androgynn), FluffyFox (Transgender, or Crossedresser).

How old is the protagonist?:
Highschool age junior votes (Between 13-16):
Highschool age senior (Between 17-20) votes: Shad12ow, Itwasneveradream, Luminar,
Kid(Under 13):
Adult(above 20): FluffyFox (Because prefers no highschool genre)

There was a suggestion to give the protagonist a selective mutism, I personally like the idea, what do the others think of this? Shad12ow likes the idea. Luminar likes the idea. FluffyFox likes the idea.

Also what talents and flaws does the protagonist have?

Talents: Drawing - suggested by Luminar.

What has been decided definitly:
This game will be underage suitable!
Team name shall be changed, with the word 'Dawn' in it.
Nagike is the Main genre.
High school setting is undesired.
The KN will mainly be over a mystery that has to be solved, there's a bit of adventure and a bit of romance, but the mystery is the main theme of the KN.
MC = A male Androgynn.
MC's age: 19 year old
MC's flaws: Selective mutism

Once the genre of the game has been set, together with the protagonist, I want to start writing a sumary and elaborate on the main character's looks, personality, his/her friends and ennemies.

I also want everyone to try and make this VN as long as possible (30 min. gameplay is the minimum).
Luminar suggests that the VN is 45min. long.
Shad12ow suggest a max. of 2 hours, not longer, since this is a mainly a practise team and VN.
Last edited by Scorpio on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Even though a scorpio may make rude comments, they do so because they care for you.
They have an air of mystery surrounding them. You wont know what they are thinking unless they truly trust you.

Shad12ow
Regular
Projects: Kage's Room

Re: Team Newb.

#2 Post by Shad12ow »

Ah, good to see that you managed to move it here before being warned by Moderator, hehehe...
Now the answer to the whole questions:
1. I choose to change the name. But the name must have word that showed that we are new. Something like Dawn or Morning.
2. For the genre, I think Transgendered protagonist is out since you said that there are underage members here (If you think it is fine, then let's use it!). I choose selective mutism, adventure romance, and mystery/ detective.
3. And for the protagonist, I vote for male in his senior high school age.
4. I think for the time, make it between 1 hour or 2 hours. More than that, it might take too long to develop for us and might scare away potential player for the game since this is a beginner project.
And I need something from all of you. Please send me your FB name so that I can invite you to the group.
Thank you and good luck!

Scorpio
Regular

#3 Post by Scorpio »

Yeah ^^'
1. I added your vote.
2. Transgenders have been young too, not all of them are part of a perverted VN ^^', so it's okay as long as it's underage suitable. Your votes has been added.
3. vote added.
4. I added that though to the last sentence of the first post. Our gameplay must not exceed the maximum of 2 hours!

I'll give you my facebook name through PM, wouldn't want pervy stalkers around the place ^^'
Even though a scorpio may make rude comments, they do so because they care for you.
They have an air of mystery surrounding them. You wont know what they are thinking unless they truly trust you.

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#4 Post by Itwasneveradream »

@Scorpio
1. I dunno. Maybe "Bleu" something?
2. It could be androgynous and you could just leave the gender up to the players imagination ;P
Definitley underage suitable, you get a bigger audience that way. (That, and I'm too young to make anything 18+)
I'm sorry but I don't really like high school settings unless it's fantasy-esque. My vote goes to Adventure/Mystery
3. I like androgynous people, so this vote pretty much goes either way.
4.Tricky, does adult involve people say around the age of college students? My vote goes to wherever the age 19 is.

@Shadow
You know me Nate :P
I'm Kiko

Shad12ow
Regular
Projects: Kage's Room

#5 Post by Shad12ow »

1. Bleu? Does it have any meaning?
2. Oh, nice. I like that. But that would mean extra work for the writer in term of referring to her/him.
3. Same comment as above. hehehe...
4. Actually that's what I wanted too. If yes, I choose that too. It leave so many possibility for the story.

And yes, I know you :mrgreen: . I mean everyone except you, hehehe... And it seems I haven't add you as friend yet in FB. Do accept the request, okay? Hahaha...

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#6 Post by Itwasneveradream »

Shad12ow wrote:1. Bleu? Does it have any meaning?
2. Oh, nice. I like that. But that would mean extra work for the writer in term of referring to her/him.
3. Same comment as above. hehehe...
4. Actually that's what I wanted too. If yes, I choose that too. It leave so many possibility for the story.

And yes, I know you :mrgreen: . I mean everyone except you, hehehe... And it seems I haven't add you as friend yet in FB. Do accept the request, okay? Hahaha...

I think Bleu means rookie in another language.

I forgot which one.

Scorpio
Regular

#7 Post by Scorpio »

@Itwasneveradream, can I refer to you as 'Dream'instead ^^'?
1. Bleu is french x3.
2. Votes is added, I definitly like the idea of an Androgynous person, because it'll attract both genders to play it.
3. Votes added.
4. Depends. Some Adults are still learning in school whilesome underage kids are already finished with school.

@Shadow,
1. Bleu is french for Blue, the colour is sometimes used to refer to newbies.
2. We can always find a way that the player adds her/his gendre in the begining of the game and that from there the VN is programmed to write Him/her, she/he etc.accordingly to the first choice. We can also give the reader a change to add his/her name to the game. It'll be two pre-choices to code and we'll have these two choices to practise on, since the rest of the VN is kinetic. This is doable. Plus it'll attract both gendre. Although we will have to find a way to explain as to why the the 'guy-reader' has no beard and the 'girl-reader' has no chest x3.

Nice to know both of you know each other ^^!

Luminar
Regular

#8 Post by Luminar »

@Scorpio
1. Ooh~ The names sounds cool.^^" Haven't thought of anything yet but liking 'Dawn'.
2. Mystery and romance would do good, for me. :3
3. Hmm, the protagonist... I don't mind whether it's a female or male but I think it's cool to have an androgynous character.
4. As for the age. Hmm, depends. :P I would prefer adult and kid for Nagike (or was it Utsuge?), senior high for romance and mystery. XXD So I guess I'll vote for senior high? :3
5. For the time duration of the game, maybe 20 minutes - 45 minutes?
6. I agree to let the protagonist have selective mutism. As for the talent of the protagonist, maybe perhaps drawing? Probably something that's an indoor activity. :P

@Shadow

I've PMed you about it.
'I would like to become the dark,
So that I may hide away and make everyone else shine.'

'You lose yourself trying to hold onto someone who doesn't care about losing you.'

I'm afraid that I'll be a book that no one reads,
Music that no one listens to anymore,
I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater

FluffyFox

#9 Post by FluffyFox »

1. I like the idea of changing the name as well. I like something with Dawn or Morning. I like the idea that is it not directly telling you what we are all about. You have to think about it!
2. Any genre is fine with me. I know more about fantasy, romance and mystery.
3. I think male or female doesn't matter but I do think it would be interesting to have a transgender, or maybe a character where you are lead to believe that they are a girl and turns out to be a boy. something like that maybe?
4. I like the Nakige idea I prefer adult but, its alright if I am out voted. I don't really like the idea of doing another high school type of NV but again its up to all of us! I will work with whatever.
5. I don't really know how long a normal game is so I really can't say. I will trusts your judgment.
6. Selective Mutism sounds good.

Scorpio
Regular

#10 Post by Scorpio »

@Luminar:
1. Noted.
2. Noted.
3. Noted.
4. Nagike has many subtypes, just like science fiction and Eroge. The highschool stuff is a subgenre from all three, but since Eroge is out of the question and science fiction has no votes. Nagike is the last to go for. Nagike isn't like Utsuge, Utsuge is really aimed to be depressing, while Nagike is more like: KN MC:I watched her leave, and with every step, my heart seemed to beat louder *in the meantime* Reader/player: ....pls girl turn around, pls turn around, don't leave that poor guy/girl *cries* -> It's a genre that wants the reader/player to grow attached to it's characters, a bit like Eroge who wants the one playing the game to feel well perverted and science fiction to feel as if you live indeed in a different world. Subgenres like adventure and such, can be found in all three of them ^^.
5. We'll just see how far we get I guess XD
6. Noted.

@FluffyFox
1. Noted.
2. Noted.
3. Noted.
4. Noted. I don't thing the highschool is really wanted in this group, lol X'D, so I doubt it'll be a highschool type don't worry, sadly no mature content allowed, sorry ^^' (2 people of the team are underage)
5. Noted.
6. Noted.

Gimme a moment to post the results of all the votes ;3

Luminar
Regular

#11 Post by Luminar »

Ah I see~ Hmm, If both Nagike and Utsuge mixed together I wonder how it would be like since I love both of them... Thanks for explaining, I guess it makes sense to me now. :)
'I would like to become the dark,
So that I may hide away and make everyone else shine.'

'You lose yourself trying to hold onto someone who doesn't care about losing you.'

I'm afraid that I'll be a book that no one reads,
Music that no one listens to anymore,
I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater

Scorpio
Regular

#12 Post by Scorpio »

I've been out-voted for the Team's name, so we shall be changing the name!(Not in the recruitment thread though ^^', I'll still be needing that one after we finished with our first VN.)

Shadow suggested something with Dawn or Morning
The word 'Dawn' has 3 votes.
'Morning' has 2 votes.
'Bleu' only 1 vote.

So, Team Dawn it is?Or other alternative, gimme your suggestions everyone!FluffyFox suggested 'Bleu Dawn'

Next: The Genre.

Nagike overruled science fiction: Nagike is the Main genre.
Subgenres:

Romance: 3
Adventure: 3
Mystery: 5
Fantasy: 2

Detective is overruled with only 1 vote.
High school setting is undesired, it only received 1 vote.

Conclusion: The KN will mainly be over a mystery that has to be solved, there's a bit of adventure and a bit of romance, but the mystery is the main theme of the KN.

Gender of the protagonist:

Male: 3 votes
Female: 2 votes
Androgynn: 3 votes
Transgender: 1 vote
Crossdresser: 2 votes

Conclusion: A male Androgynn it is!

MC's age:

Senior highschool (17-20): 5 votes
Adult (Above age 20): 1 vote

Conclusion: Adult overruled, the MC will be between 17-20 year old, 4 people wanted a 19 year old. MC = 19 years.

MC's flaws: He has a selective mutism (All 6 votes)

MC's talents: Drawing (only 1 person bothered to answer this question so I figured everyone agrees on this?Any objections → tell me right away in your next post!)

Just a question what kind of 'selective mutism'?

There are three types of mutism:

Mutism is most commonly found in children and can be traced to one of three commonly seen categories.

Akinetic: another type of mutism that deals with frontal lobe injuries and usually causes a sufferer to lose the ability to both move and speak. This may also be caused by a treatment of psychosis in which glands in the brain are halted by medicines in order to treat a more severe mental condition.

Elective: is a complete lack of speech, to any and everyone, usually resulting from a personal choice of the patient. This may be a reaction to a traumatic event that has caused a mental change in the person or a serious injury that has been sustained to the mouth or throat.

Selective mutism: is when someone who has the ability to speak chooses not to. While those suffering from this disorder may speak to close family or friends they are usually silent around strangers.

Mutism can be a confusing disease and should be a cause of concern if seen in a child. Underlying factors usually point back to anxiety disorders, even if the mutism cannot be traced back to a medical reason. Doing some early research using the Internet will help you determine which type of mutism a loved one may be affected by and will help find the best treatment options available.

Read the Full Page: Mutism – Common Facts About Mutism – Types of Mutism
AllAboutCounseling.com
Last edited by Scorpio on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

FluffyFox

#13 Post by FluffyFox »

We could be Bleu Dawn

i have no idea what kind of selective mutism...I will think on it.

Scorpio
Regular

#14 Post by Scorpio »

Added some info about mutisms.

Also I've been thinking: what setting will we use, the highschool one is definitly rejected.
So where does our story start?

Also will our main character have long hair, short hair, what colour eyes? He has the stature between a guy and girl.
Does he live alone, or with family?What about his family, does he have siblings? What's his work? Does he have a girlfriend/is he single?
etc.

Gimme your suggestions.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#15 Post by Taleweaver »

Scorpio wrote:Also I've been thinking: what setting will we use, the highschool one is definitly rejected.
So where does our story start?
I'm not in your team, but I'd like to give you some awesome yet sadly underused settings, just to tickle your brains:

A Viking village, 12th century.
A small island in the South Pacific where people rejecting modern life live
A call center in Mumbai, India
A motel in the middle of nowhere next to a major highway
A generation starship in the three thousandth year of an eight thousand year journey
A group of traveling con men/women
A research laborarory secretly owned by the military
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira