The Blessed [Fantasy][Magic][War][Happy>Dark Mood]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
eime-leen
Regular
Projects: I want to 'revive' my old projects one day...
Deviantart: eime-leen

The Blessed [Fantasy][Magic][War][Happy>Dark Mood]

#1 Post by eime-leen »

Hello! This is my first VN (well, it's an idea right now) and I'm a beginner with Ren'py... and art, and music! I've had this idea for over a year and now I want to share it. I hope to be able to improve it, and my eventual goal is to finish it!

Story

In the history of the planet Alth, some humans could use magic in the form of eight elements. These humans were known as the 'Blessed' because of the belief that the elemental deities had blessed them. Ever since, many believed in the existence of the deities, and this was called 'Blessism'. However, many disruptions and chaos have been created in the history of the Blessed.

The year was 12-AD. There was a war on Alth between two of the greatest factions of the Blessed, the Yume and the Kanze. This war was known as the War of the Greatest. The Yume held an academy to train young apprentices who had magical abilities, while the Kanze takes advantage of human greed to empower their army. The royal family of both the Yume and the Kanze were the targets, and would be in great danger.

Matt Aere is a young boy who becomes involved with the War of the Greatest. He was working normally on a farm until he accidentally sets it on fire. He finds out he has magic: specifically a small flame he can emit from his finger. He is recruited instantly by magic scouters to the Yume Academy, to learn magic including his own element, fire. As he learns about himself, Matt also meets different students, guardians, and professors at the Academy and even the Princess, Hele.

A problem arises when mutated monsters are created from the darkest of magic. The Yume Academy, as well as the Kanze territory, are attacked by these dark monsters that take many animal-like forms and have different abilities. As the monsters become stronger, it becomes harder for everyone to defend themselves and the people they fight for. Another war has started.

Will the Yume or the Kanze win the War of the Greatest? Or will both of them succumb to the mysterious dark monsters? Who would be powerful enough to stop the dark magic that controls these monsters? And why have they appeared?

Format

-There will be five chapters.
-The story will mostly be from Matt's point of view. There might be scenes included where Matt is not present, including scenes of the Kanze.
-Choices are based off of what Matt can do or thinks of. Choices can affect relations with other characters, and well.. if he survives.
-Matt can be friends with whoever he can talk to, and learn more about them. However, most of these characters don't exactly have good fates. This is a war, after all. But... you might be able to save them.
-Matt can befriend up to nine other people. Matt will not be able to befriend everyone in one playthrough. Maybe an ending will be achieved with the person Matt is closest to.
-There can be advantages for befriending others. (ex. advantage in combat/survivability)
-Well, I suppose love isn't impossible even when you're fighting to survive.
-What's a war without action?! In the second chapter, Matt will choose one of three groups of people to join. For combat: there could be time-based choices for survival. Or it could be RPG-format in fight scenes. I'm still planning this part. Nothing too complicated or prolonged, since it will still focus on being a VN. And well, I don't know if I can do anything beyond writing the script. Fighting that doesn't involve Matt still needs flashy scenes!
-This story is going to have a mood change. It starts off happy and innocent, and goes downhill after the monsters attack.
-There may be a dark undertone involving the Kanze: an unhealthy relationship, brutal punishments, secrets, killing and assassination. If I add these in, they will only be implied in the text.

More Information

Blessed

Humans who are blessed live longer on average than humans without magic. Their average lifespan is 100 years, compared to a human's 80 years on Alth.
The age multiplier would be 1.25. Thus, a blessed human's adult age would be about 22 (compared to the normal adult age of 18). This explains a blessed's youthful appearance comparitive to their age.
There are few humans known as "Ancient Blessed." They live even longer, an average of 150 years, and possess greater magic potential. They are all pure elemented.

Elements

The blessed humans are gifted with one or two elements.
All elements are either in dark or light form. Nevermind, that would make it even more complicated.
They can be pure (one strong element) or dual (two elements mixed).

The elements are: Wind, Fire, Water, Energy, Alth, Nature, Force, and Mental

Characters

I've listed the characters who are important. There will be some minor characters too. Well, here comes the weird names, ranging from 'Matt' to 'Zunir' to even '4'!

YUME ACADEMY
Matt Aere - Young protagonist who is recruited to the Academy to learn magic. He starts off cowardly, with only a measly flame on his finger, and is generally useless in combat. Matt is quite special though, because he is able to wield a very important weapon later.
Xavier - A calm young man who is skilled with Light Energy.
Eris - She seems to take the war as a joke. Well, she's just having fun in the air with her amazing Wind magic.
Sir Syaben - A loyal guardian of Princess Hele who is responsible for protecting her life. He also aids the students and his dual Fire & Force magic is explosive.
Tia - A sweet girl who likes Matt a lot. She has a unique ability where she forms claws to fight.
Ren - Another guardian who helps beginning students at the Academy.
Rima - A serious swordfighter who defeats many of her opponents. She prefers physical fighting over using magic.
Tally - A secretive man where even his name is only an alias. He looks uninterested in the war.

YUME FAMILY
Leader: The Head - An ancient blessed who possesses great Water magic. He is the reason the Yume are still standing strong, even with all of the Kanze's attacks. However, how effective is he dealing with these new monsters?
Princess Hele Yume - A sweet, elegant girl who tries her best to minimize casualties. Hele has healing powers as well as the ability to create barriers. She is the elder sister and would be next in line of the Yume throne.
Princess Yuri Yume - The younger sister who is forced to hide her identity to protect her from assassins. With her freedom, she visits the garden daily. However, how long will Yuri's freedom last? **Not sure if her "disguise" is effective since she still looks like a Princess...

KANZE FAMILY (HEAD)
Leader: "Dain" Istego Kanze - The epitome of evil. A malicious ruler who wants all of the Yume dead (his competition), and for the Kanze to be the strongest faction on Alth. He is not an ancient blessed but is still quite old and strong. He brutally punishes the people of Kanze who fail their tasks.
Prince: "Soir" Zunir Kanze - He is the brother of Nina. As successor of the Kanze, Zunir follows the Dain's way of ruling. He secretly wishes the war did not happen.
Princess: "Zosya" Nina Kanze - A beautiful woman with long hair and a long dress, who is controlled by the Dain and the Soir. Oddly enough, as a target of the war, she does not hide. Nina cares not for herself, but rather her brother...

*Dain, Soir, and Zosya are just fancy names for their positions. :wink:

KANZE TERRITORY
Orin Regata - Was the Dain of Kanze despite having no blood relations. He was killed after five years on the throne. Istego Kanze succeeded the throne.
Suina Kanze - Former Queen of Kanze. She was the wife of Orin until his death. Ever since, she disappeared.
Anda Kanze - Does not hesitate to follow the Dain's orders of assassination. She fights well with a lance she infuses with Energy.
Nien Regata - A young mage who is hesitant to kill, unlike Anda. Nien is more powerful than he looks. He was even ordered to kill Princess Hele and was punished for not succeeding. He is respectful to Zosya Nina and gets involved with Syaben.

OTHER
Donne - An aged woman who is beautiful, yet a mystery.
4 - Takes on the appearance of a young peasant boy with empty eyes. Seems to be associated with Donne.
Tor - a prince who is arranged a marriage with Princess Hele.

Rough Example

Here is the style of how I want to write this story. This is going to be a part of Princess Hele's diary, or something like that. The event is when the monsters are attacking the Yume Academy.

"The monsters kept coming. I noticed they became stronger, and I could no longer hold my shield against them. I had to be protected by my guardians. I wish... I wish I was stronger. I am still able to heal the wounded. There were more fatalities, but we will not give up. I assured everyone that we are going to get through this. As Princess Yume, I must be strong and maintain hope until the end... whether that means the end of this fighting, or the end of us."

Sketches

Might as well have something to show. Sorry about the inconsistent sizes. I have some more on deviantart. :D

Matt

Princess Hele

Eris

Anda

Soir Zunir

Donne

Screenshot

This sketch became...

The (incomplete) sprite in this picture! Magic!

Plans & Progress

As this story is yet only in idea phase, there isn't very much work done yet, especially the actual plot outline. I plan to do everything! Still learning how to draw, and using a software "demo" for music (hopefully there are no copyright issues, even if it's for a non-commercial purpose :( ). I might have to end up using some free resources.
I'll be adding and editing stuff once in a while. I especially like to sketch. :D
Any details may change later. Nothing is finalized.

Well anyways, comments are appreciated. I'd love ideas and questions to think about! I'm not sure if I need any help with anything right now. I am working on this whenever I can, but I will still call it an idea.
Last edited by eime-leen on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: The Blessed [Fantasy] [Magic] [War]

#2 Post by fleet »

Hello. Your project sounds very ambitious. I can tell you've given it a lot of thought and the story sounds interesting. You might want to consider doing a smaller project for your first effort, or consider breaking this project into episodes. Huge first-time projects often get abandoned.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

I have to agree with Fleet on this. The concept seems good and pretty well thought out, but it seems like it will span out to be quite a large VN which never ends well (though I've been proven wrong before). I would suggest making them episodic, or even writing an entire kinetic route, then expanding with another route, etc. Which ever way, I wish you all the luck, it's definitely caught my interest! :)
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

eime-leen
Regular

#4 Post by eime-leen »

Wow, thanks for replying! I'm quite aware that this is going to be big project, and it's going to take a long time to finish by myself. But a smaller project doesn't interest me. :? I've already planned to break it down into chapters. It's good to know that my story is interesting.

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#5 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

It seems that you and I are going down the same path with our first VN projects: Big, long, complicated, very amazing sounding (at least yours does). I wish you the best of luck. Do not do more or less than you believe you are capable of doing. I will be rooting for you!

eime-leen
Regular

Re: The Blessed [Fantasy][Magic][War][Happy>Dark Mood]

#6 Post by eime-leen »

Thank you for replying, ShojiAmasawa. I could use some motivation, as I'm lacking ideas for this project right now. :)

So far...
I've written a little bit of chapter one, where I introduce the setting and some of the characters.
Starting the script actually made me create more characters! They are somewhat minor though.
I've planned out why Matt is special, and a little more of his history pre-academy.
I've decided that I would use GIMP for my sprites. I've already started on a sprite (lineart + base colouring).
I've posted some more of my sketches on deviantart, and I'm working on how to draw Istego exactly. :shock: He needs to be OLD and MANLY!
I have no idea how to draw backgrounds, though! :(

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#7 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

eime-leen wrote:Thank you for replying, ShojiAmasawa. I could use some motivation, as I'm lacking ideas for this project right now.
I feel your pain. When I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, I put down what ever I'm working on, and put on my favourite music. I happen to be rubbish at backgrounds, too. I've tried, but they never look how I want them to.

eime-leen
Regular

#8 Post by eime-leen »

ShojiAmasawa wrote:I feel your pain. When I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, I put down what ever I'm working on, and put on my favourite music. I happen to be rubbish at backgrounds, too. I've tried, but they never look how I want them to.
That's exactly how I am! Good to know that someone out there is just like me too! (Well, not like I've tried to create a background yet :lol: )

Anyways, I got a little more motivated now. I'm kind of working on the design of the game, but the script... not so much. I added a window size that I hope would work for 800x600 in fair quality. I'm working on a music room as well. I also played with the colour scheme a little, still unsure though. It's quite a big improvement for a beginner like me! :wink:
And as for the music, I have 24 soundtracks (complete or not) I plan to use so far! I've got themes for the Yume Academy, the Kanze, some sad music, and a few epic ones. They are all arranged by me and that's what I listen to when working on this project (good motivation, huh)!

eime-leen
Regular

#9 Post by eime-leen »

(This screenshot seems to be cut off and was re-sized)
Here's my first sprite I've ever created in my whole life (!!) :D of Yuri (although incomplete, and ignore her transparent hair :? ) and my terrible practice background that doesn't even fit the whole screen. I think I'll leave the window width as 1024, since I figured that some of the sprites take up a good deal of space on the screen.

eime-leen
Regular

#10 Post by eime-leen »

A Rough Format Outline:
Well, this looks complicated. The Blessed will be split into five chapters, respectively 'Reaper', 'Creeper', 'Deeper', 'Weeper', and 'Sleeper' (creative, eh?). 8)
So, Matt is the M in a blue circle, and all the other circles represent characters.
In the first chapter, Matt can talk to five people (Xavier, Hele, Syaben, Tia, and a new character named Ren). There will also be other interactions that are part of the story, like with the professors. In addition, Matt can practise three types of magic: Fire, "Alth Creation," and some sort of Potions class (unsure). (Excuse my art)
So in the second chapter, the monsters attack the Academy, forcing the students to fight. They form groups of five, and Matt can choose one of three groups. There are some new characters: Eris, Rima, Tally, and Tor, who Matt can also befriend during the story. The people who Matt talked to in the first chapter can also determine which group you can join. Matt can also talk to professors and students. Those mysterious characters with question marks are just filler characters. Once again, Matt can practise his magic.
And well, the rest is still being planned. I still have no idea how the fighting, splitting into teams, and using magic would work.
There are some more characters to talk to, new magic, character endings, and the big bad in the last chapter! (Ooh, I'm excited~) :D

eime-leen
Regular

#11 Post by eime-leen »

I'm still working on this project... if anyone cares: :wink:

-Planned out the BIG BAD's goals (why they decided to create monsters to attack the Yume Academy, etc.) and that they have connections to at least two other characters.

-The three groups that Matt can join and their elements:

Xavier, Eris, Tia, Person 1: Energy, Wind, Alth, Water
Ren, Rima, Tally, Person 2: Alth, Alth, Force, Wind/Energy
Syaben, Hele, Tor, Person 3: Fire/Force, Water, Nature, Alth

-I've planned 9 endings for The Blessed so far. They aren't endings for each character Matt can befriend, however. I am still unsure of how these endings can be achieved (besides a few requirements so far), and most of them can be considered "bad" endings anyways. I would like some of these endings to reveal some information, to make them worthy to get. Here's a sneak peak:

Endings

1. "Shallow"
2. "Lost"
3. "Doomed Victory"
4. "Our Planet is Corrupt"
5. "Successor"
6. "Upside down World"
7. "Damaged" (This ending might need to be achieved to unlock the True End)
8. "Fight for Peace" (True End)
Extra. "The Death of Fire"

-There are also "character" endings, or more like fates. Somehow, Matt can directly or indirectly control four people's fates due to the GREAT INFLUENCE he has talking to others!

eime-leen
Regular

#12 Post by eime-leen »

I'm not working on this project as much right now because:
1. I'm busy with exams and whatnot at this time of the year,
2. I need to learn more things first, and gather some inspiration from life and other media to write the best story that I can and,
3. As much as I dislike smaller projects, I might end up making one to practise my drawing, writing, music, and Ren'py coding skills.

I can still finish up the concept art for all the characters so far.
One thing for sure, I won't be giving up on this project since Eris is badass one of my biggest goals is to finish it. :D

eime-leen
Regular

#13 Post by eime-leen »

I'm not actively working on this project, but I do have the concepts of the main characters here.
I could always add more characters if necessary to the story.
(Will practice drawing old MANLY men too :wink: )
I am also planning on working on a smaller project. What it will be, I'm not exactly sure yet!