Angelic Orbs

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: Angelic Orbs

#46 Post by Vatina »

Really? I hadn't thought about that. Hmm maybe there is some. I'm glad you like it btw :)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by Vatina »

Yes!

The script has been inserted and programming is now done! :D Now I just need to properly test the game, and then I'm looking for musicians! (I hope I can find one.... anyone?)

ImageWhoa, she really made it through!?

ImageNow hurry up and get the graphics done! :evil:

I deeply apologize to Samu-kun for stealing and mis-using this idea.....

And yeah, a ton of graphics still need to be done, so along with the missing music it will still be a while before this game is really done.
And now I need sleep! @_@

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#48 Post by Samu-kun »

Yeah, I noticed that whenever *I* post something, maybe 1 or 2 people end up replying, but whenever my girls post something, a horde of people reply... XD

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#49 Post by musical74 »

Now now, she's finished the hardest part <I think> cut her some slack!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#50 Post by Samu-kun »

Hahaha... I wasn't being mean.... I... Erm... Was just pointing out a new strategy for getting more publicity for your games! ^_^;;;

This looks very cool. ^_^ I shall download it when it's done! ^_^

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#51 Post by Alessio »

Vatina wrote:and then I'm looking for musicians! (I hope I can find one.... anyone?)
I'd be very honored to help out - could you list some requirements to help me assess the amount of work (how many songs, theme/length, rough schedule)?

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Vatina »

[quote=Alessio]I'd be very honored to help out - could you list some requirements to help me assess the amount of work (how many songs, theme/length, rough schedule)?[/quote]

That would be great! I'm going to playtest the game some more now, and I'll try and figure out roughly what kind of music and how many are needed :) I'll post it for you then, maybe in a pm.

I was also thinking about giving the musician a sort of beta version of the game, so he could get a better idea of what suits it?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Alessio »

Vatina wrote:I was also thinking about giving the musician a sort of beta version of the game, so he could get a better idea of what suits it?
If you don't mind handing it out at this stage, that's a good idea. It would be quite the source of inspiration.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Vatina »

Ok :) I'll try and get some things ready for you soon then, and send them over.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Vatina »

As you know, all that I'm really working on for the game right now is ther art, so there is not a lot to update about. There are a couple of things that I have been thinking about though.

At one time I got the idea to make a small artbook for the game, something like what zeiva did. The AO game probably won't need any huge guides since it's pretty simple, but it could include other things like images for the game, a couple of short comics and so. (Some of the characters are game-exclusive, and I like drawing them since I feel it's a waste that they're not in the general AO storyline otherwise :P)

I'm not really sure though, I don't think I'm as amazingly good as Zeiva, so I wonder if anyone would be interested at all in buying something like that <_<;; (And maybe I should just get a game out and see if people actually like it first.)
What do you think? ^^; I can understand if you think it's a bad idea....

The other thing is the game's name. I'm still using Glass Wings as sub-title for now, but I have been trying to come up with something better. Without much luck. The best thing I have thought of so far, that also matches the story, is "Fragments". But that kind of sounds like something other games/stories could already have used a hundred times :P Meh.

Hmm I think that was all for now. Oh, and here is another screenshot for you, just so this post isn't entirely pointless ;)
screenshot9.jpg

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Alessio »

Heh, then let me add a bit of updating:

Music status as of 05 May 2009: FINISHED
  • Calm background music "Townstroll": Done (accepted)
    Sad music "Glass Organ": Done (accepted)
    Battle music "Epic Horns": Done (accepted)
    Smaller battle music "Busuki":Done (accepted)
    Danger/suspense music "Ominous Woods": Done (accepted)
    Alternative normal background music: Done (accepted)
    Special music "Black Wings": Done (accepted)
    OP music "Angelic Orbs": Done (accepted)
    Jingle: not required
Dynamic compression for all pieces except "Epic Horns" and "Angelic Orbs" OP. Done
And possibly others if needed, once the above are completed.

The artbook is a nice idea, but realistically the market would be pretty small (even smaller than the target group for the VN). On the other hand, since you have the comic already on the website, the art book might be interesting for those who like the comic. I'd buy one. :)

The name is a hard one if you don't want to give away too much of the story. Maybe one approach is to think about the next stories you are planning, and to find a common style how to name them all. But yes, it's a tough call.
Last edited by Alessio on Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 am, edited 14 times in total.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#57 Post by Nafai »

Well without knowing the story, all I can do to suggest names would be to do a little wordplay: How about Fragments of Flight? Or Feather Shards?

An artbook would be a nice idea... Maybe one with IC commentary from your characters? I love the update dialogues you do for them.

I see that it's going to have a wide variety of music too... This is really looking good. ^_^

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Vatina »

Thanks for the update Alessio :D
An artbook would be a nice idea... Maybe one with IC commentary from your characters? I love the update dialogues you do for them.
Oooh that could be a cute idea perhaps ^^
That was also one thing I was considering with the artbook - I want to wait a bit after the game is released, and then maybe take suggestions from the players for what will be in it.

And yeah, names are so hard.... I want to say a lot about the game to get more name ideas, but then I would be spoiling it. Argh. I'll consider what you said though :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#59 Post by sake-bento »

Ah, that screenshot looks really nice. I love the sunlight effect. *_*

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by DaFool »

Vatina you can have an Artbook and an Official Soundtrack, and package it as one. Assuming you come to an agreement with Alessio, you can even sell it.

How will you package it? How about as a mock bento box? Call it the Angelic Orbs (assuming that's the name) Bento Box.

I mean, seriously, if you're going into the trouble of printing hi-res art on glossy paper, you might as well print the packaging while you're at it. And it shouldn't be hard to find official CD replicators also, where you can engrave the title graphics directly on the CD. The cover of the OST can be made similar to what you find in other anime and doujin OSTs. I don't know how much it will cost in your area though. And I don't think it's necessary for the VN to be popular -- in fact, this Bento Box can serve to promote your VN. In the world of ACG, it's all about packaging your character goods properly.

You can opt to maximize the coloring for use in the artbook, then just tone it down a little for the actual visual novel. That way the artbook will really look like an artbook, rather than a rehash of in-game graphics.

You -- and other comic artists (or those who otherwise own their stories), are about the only one who can pull this off. The rest of us can't really do it since we have to beg for art or budget ours ridiculously, much less even consider making an artbook! Something to think about.

If it's going to be free, then package it like Time's Tear Fandisc (and include screensavers and desktop icons and other thingamajigs).