Magus Project (Magus ~The Hand of Fate~)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
akira

Magus Project (Magus ~The Hand of Fate~)

#1 Post by akira »

Hello guys ! I am just downloading ren'py one moth ago, and now at last I begin to start my first project.

Summary :
My VN is a story about Magus (magi) who have traumatic past. His name is Akira Shinizaki. After a few years from that incident he leave his Magus live and live a normal live. But, after 10 years of his new life, there are strange event occurred, making him step into Magus world once again.

So, how about my story ? It is worth to become VN ?
BTW, because I new in this field, so I need some from anyone interested in it . What I need the most is programmer (I not yet familiar with Ren'py system), and CG artist (well, I also new at CG art), and maybe a story helper (scenario, plot, event, etc).

I already created few expression of my first character so please comment at it. Oh, yeah one more thing, I wanted to create magic circle for some event and logo, but I don't know how. I really appreciate if you help me with it. I wait your comment, ok.

First Heroine -Ayaka Miyazaki-

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#2 Post by Hime »

The plot reminds me of F/SN... But that's not a bad thing, I'm just a huge Type-Moon fan so anything alike reminds me of their games. ^^; And the Ayaka art looks absolutely gorgeous. I hope I'll be able to play this game some day! :) So, good luck with your project. Unfortunetly I'm not a good programmer nor a good CG artist and all of my stories are mostly weird, so I'm afraid I can't help you very much. I can help if you have any little questions, though. ^^

akira

#3 Post by akira »

Eh, you notice ?
Well, to be honest. I created this after playing Tsukihime and F/SN so I really inspired by them, But, I don't want my game just a mere copy of Type-Moon's so I really need your suggestion, especially in story.
Last edited by akira on Mon May 07, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Hi there! :D

Finally registered an account! Welcome! :D

Character art looks great. It looks cel-shaded 3D, or else the coloring makes it seem so.

Just a few suggestions from experience and reading the experience of others so far...

For non-budget VN project (writing first, custom art and resources later)

* complete script first
* determine resource requirements as the script is programmed
* art, music to be made

For budget VN project (art / resources immediately available, writing made to fit)

* scan for free resources (photos, music, inspiration, etc.)
* pull together and script a story based on available resources

For teams with experienced members (simultaneous development of story and art - requires strong teamwork)

* writer determines the exact resource requirements from scenario, then hands them to project artists. They all abide by those requirements.
* script is written while custom art is made, then put together.

--------------

What approach would you think fits this project most likely, as team leader? Can you scope out the scenario fully, even if its not yet fully written...i.e. be able to determine all the characters, their personalities and expressions, as well as the location settings? If not, then you may need the story helper before anything else.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

Hime wrote:The plot reminds me of F/SN...
Or simply The-Guy-Who-Wanted-To-Quit-But-Then-The-Past-Caught-Up-With-Him. Don't take this the wrong way - it's a classic :P Anyway, I'd even say the name "Hand of Fate", and also the art style is somehow reminiscent of the FSN brand. The trick is of course to be inspired, but also have your own take on the subject.

The most important thing is just to ask yourself whether "you want to make a game like TH and FSN", or whether "after seeing TH and FSN you wanted to make your own game". In the first case, you're probably just be trying to copy the story and mood (which more often than not goes wrong), in the second case you may use some of the elements that made the games stand out - the approach to storytelling or graphics - and this is usually the better way. You may even end up with a story and game that doesn't resemble the inspiration at all.

In any case, welcome to the forums, feel at home and good luck with your project!

akira

#6 Post by akira »

Well, I will take the second way, mikey
I won't create to be typical good-for-nothing hero like Shiro. I will make sure the hero is worth to be loved by the heroines. As for heroines, maybe they relationship is like Tsukihime. and as for story I think I will I deepened in the mystery than the romance.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

magi
Special Project Artist
Projects: Hanafuda Club, Infinity Rain

#8 Post by magi »

My VN is a story about Magus (magi) who have traumatic past.
Aahah. :3 This got me interested.
BTW, because I new in this field, so I need some from anyone interested in it . What I need the most is programmer (I not yet familiar with Ren'py system), and CG artist (well, I also new at CG art), and maybe a story helper (scenario, plot, event, etc).
Well, if you want to retain creative control, at least you can write the whole story. O.o

akira

#9 Post by akira »

Really magi !?
Then please help me after I finished scripting my first chapter.
Well, for story I think I will need a story helper after all.

magi
Special Project Artist
Projects: Hanafuda Club, Infinity Rain

#10 Post by magi »

More interested in playing the game, actually. :< I am still working on hanafud club. What I wanted to said is, you are giving up creative control if you don't do a certain amount yourself. :> Which usually consist of programming the bulk of the game itself, and write the story. Its okay to ask for help with specific programing challenges, or editing parts of the story after you done writing it.

akira

#11 Post by akira »

So that's what you mean.
I kinda disappointed, but what do you say is true.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I think I already post it in the first one, but do anyone know how to make magic circle? I kinda stuck here.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

How to make the magic circle, or how to display a spinning magic circle on the screen? If the latter, there's an example in the demo game.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

akira

#13 Post by akira »

The first one
By the way, PyTom, can I use demo's magic circle ?. Looks interesting.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#14 Post by PyTom »

IIRC, it was DaFool who made it, so you should ask him.

(The demo's magic circle is actually quite funny. IIRC, it says something like "even fake greek looks good in a magic circle".)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool »

It was Jake, not me.