The Prince's Bride [otome] [GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

The Prince's Bride [otome] [GxB]

#1 Post by Anne »

The game that we have in mind is traditional otome.

With the prince coming of age and proclaimed a heir to the throne, it is expected of him to take a wife. Only 6 months left until that date, young ladies from all over the country flock to the palace in hopes of becoming the prince's bride.

The game starts on the 1st of March, when the heroine arrives at the palace. You can choose one of the three backgrounds for her and that will affect some of the storylines later. Throughout the game you choose the heroine's daily activities (going for a ride, practicing dancing, doing needlework, reading books in a library and such), which affect her parameters and allow her to meet different people. Though the main goal of the game is, of course, the prince, you can pursue other characters as well.

Characters:

Prince Aidan. Kind, nice and smart, but somewhat pessimistic.

Emperor Probably the least smart character from the lot. Has no interest whatsoever in politics and such leaving all the decisions to his counsellor, lord Rene. Leads a leisurely life, surrounded by pretty things. Enjoys dancing.

Empress. Her marriage to the emperor was an arranged one, but with them both being amiable and easy-going it is more or less a happy one. So she is wishing the same for her son.

Lord René Snowden. Outstanding diplomat and politician, the person to make all the important decisions in the country. Very intelligent and strict.

Lord Claude Alisdair. Very friendly and likeable. Seems to take a lot of interest in the heroine.

Lady Olienn Alisdair aka Random lady - as likeable and friendly as her brother,

Lord Darren Kaye. Chief investigator. Rough and distrusful, loses his temper easily, good fighter. You meet him when you attempt to investigate some off-limits places so he suspects you to be a spy of some sorts and keeps an eye on you.

This is how the game is supposed to look like:
Backgrounds are 1800-s watercolors.

Questions we have so far:
1. Do you like animated chibis representing activities? (like in TokiMeki Memorial or Heartstring bugs) Or do you feel that they needlessly take your time? What do you think is the best way to show that the activity has taken place and the day has ended?

2. Names suggestions (including the game's title and the country the plot takes place)
Last edited by Anne on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: The Prince's Bride [otome] [GxB]

#2 Post by merdeamour »

1. I think animated chibis that show up when you do an activity is something I'd appreciate than just a few lines of text about how they activity went xD As for taking up time, if I found enough time to play a VN, then I'd definitely find time to watch an animated chibi...
Hmm. I can't offer ideas as to how to indicate the day's ending...

2. For the title - 'How to Charm a Prince'?
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#3 Post by Mimi_Melody »

Oh, so will the gameplay be like Tokimeki and Heartstring bugs?
1. I'd love to see chibis ( :lol: why would they even take up my time?) Maybe you can make a clock or something like that? Or you can just use the backgrounds, I mean, put in some windows to show the day/night.
2. I think the title now seems fine, i'm not really good with new ideas. It can take place in England/France...etc? Western countries will fit better :)

Anne
Veteran

#4 Post by Anne »

The thing with the chibis is that you like them when you see them for the first time, the second, the third... but 100+? Messages like "I had a nice day at the beach but now it's time to go home" are even worse though. We were thinking of maybe just showing stat changes and changing the date on the calendar but I fear that it won't be really noticeable and will confuse people.
Mimi_Melody wrote:Oh, so will the gameplay be like Tokimeki and Heartstring bugs?
It will be more like Dandelion - if you've played that one - in that you choose an activity every day separately rather than making a week schedule
Mimi_Melody wrote: It can take place in England/France...etc? Western countries will fit better :)
Making it a real country kind of forces you to stick to other details as well like choosing an exact time period and going for real people and places, well, everything from clothes and interiors to daily activities and what was considered appropriate etc. So it's some fantasy country (though the setting is generally European, yes)

Anne
Veteran

#5 Post by Anne »

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Looking good so far ^^ I read what you sent me in the PM and it looks like you got all the basics in order. One thing I would say, seeing as you're aiming for small scenes with a lot of content packed into them, would be to study the Choice of Romance games. One, I forget the name right this second, is very very similar to what you're going for with shaping a portage and having her date/maneuver through court life in short, text blocks. It might help your writer a lot! That and a few more minor things that I'll send in a PM as to not spoil your game. Good luck!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Manga
Regular

#7 Post by Manga »

If I don't see a dread pirate somewhere in this, I will be deeply disappointed.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#8 Post by Ran08 »

Haha, I think it looks stunning so far. ^^ The backgrounds are really beautiful~

Also, I find that I like Lord Snowden more than Lord Aidan. Bwahahaha. ^^ Once this is finished I'd like to go after him. :)

Haha, well, I'm the kind of girl who tend to love princess stories anyways, so I'll be looking forward to this!

Goodluck!

Anne
Veteran

#9 Post by Anne »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Looking good so far ^^ I read what you sent me in the PM and it looks like you got all the basics in order. One thing I would say, seeing as you're aiming for small scenes with a lot of content packed into them, would be to study the Choice of Romance games. One, I forget the name right this second, is very very similar to what you're going for with shaping a portage and having her date/maneuver through court life in short, text blocks. It might help your writer a lot! That and a few more minor things that I'll send in a PM as to not spoil your game. Good luck!
Thank you. I've checked out the Choice of Romance and it's in fact quite different from what we are aiming at. The obvious thing is that we want our game to actually have romance :lol: and to focus more on the heroine's feelings. And (though the outline can suggest otherwise) it should still be mostly light-hearted, with intrigue being more a game of wit rather than deciding the fate of the world. I'd even be happy with just the conversations where one party hints at this and the other at that and they smile and are generally pleased with each other - the type of conversation you have with Talarist (http://longlivethequeen.wikia.com/wiki/Talarist) in Long Live the Queen if your flattery is high enough.
Ran08 wrote:Haha, I think it looks stunning so far.
Also, I find that I like Lord Snowden more than Lord Aidan.

Thank you. He's my favourite too 8) And his suit is nice...

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Oh~ I totally missed the point then xD So sorry! It came off to me like that, with all the hints of stat raising and such but that sounds good too! Who doesn't like small talk over a tea platter with a good looking man? Hear that silence? That means no one. I kid but still, great progress and I hope things are going well. *eyes Claude even though she should no better- ugh*
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Anne
Veteran

#11 Post by Anne »

*our cute characters made with ChibiMaker just for fun*

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

So cute .3. *squishes all their cheeks*

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#13 Post by Katta »

By the way the emperor is called Leo, because his hair turned out to look like our cat's)
Attachments
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 4511 times

zenkumi

#14 Post by zenkumi »

For your second question:
Country name : -Kirsche/Kirchse
- Salzig
- Bosewicht
- Fruhe
- Dorfwische
- Grun
- Sieg

I use random words from english and translate it into googletranslate. The names are in german, and forgive me if the meaning had no connection to the story theme. (>__<)v

Writer16
Regular
Projects: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)
Tumblr: my-allisondiamond-world
Deviantart: allisondiamond1

#15 Post by Writer16 »

The idea implied a very thrilling project. I think that this will be a very splendid project, when completed. The art is great. Can't really answer those questions. Good luck with planning and finishing your project.
"You can fix anything but a blank page." -- Nora Roberts.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.