Eternal Youth [VN + RPG] [Friendship/Drama/Romance?]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
kukiko-tan
Regular
Completed: Fear Not
Projects: The Song of the Caged Crow, Revealed Royalty, The Golden Seed
Organization: RONI
Deviantart: kukiko-tan

Eternal Youth [VN + RPG] [Friendship/Drama/Romance?]

#1 Post by kukiko-tan »

Update!( 07 july 2013) I've created a development blog! It's there to serve as a place where I'll post messier stuff like sketches/maps/sprites/wips. When I have more polished stuff to show, I'll update here :>
Update #2! (23 july 2013) Added more info to the story.
Genre:
Drama, Romance (I guess), Friendship, Comedy (maybe)
Story:
" From the center of the calamity, through the commonness of the passing of the days, towards the never ceasing fall of leaves, stepping nearby the flow of the river, let the whispers of your guide lead your heart back to the garden, the one you were so brutally taken from. Henceforth you'll find once again your way in the garden of eternity, where you shall be surrounded by the flowers that never wither, whose leaves never stiffen and whose scent never fades. Enter. "

A story about how the paths of two young adults crossed one day. It all started with a flower design contest...set up by the Guild of Aristocracy...with a pretty fancy prize. As the day goes by and gets consumed by the routine of conflicts, hatred and monotony, an inevitable chance is given to change something in their lives. Is it for the better, or for the worse?
What will you decide to change?Your circumstances or you?

Choose whose boots you'll walk into:

Sarah: A dejected flower shop owner whom has started to see her job as a chore than a pleasure, especially due to her hatred and envy towards that person.She sets up her mind on winning the flower design contest.

Nathan: A young man whom has a troubled family life and lacks the dream or motivation to change his life in any way. His only place of refuge is his grandmother's "place".

Other Characters (to be updated):

Representative of the Guild of Aristocracy: He likes talking.

Sarah's Mom: Sarah's caring, easy-to-get-worried mom which can be childish at times, but serious and less talkative when tired. She likes giving tips and advices to Sarah whenever she gets the chance.

?(sprite to be updated): Somebody you'd rather you didn't befriend...
Game Features:
- 3+ endings!
- 2 protagonists whom you can play as!
- rpg ! (except battles): you'll be able to talk to people, explore around, and pick up stuff!
- CGs !
Other Related Stuff:

Progress(not very approximately XD)
Story:
Sarah's Path: 20%
Nathan's Path: 0%
Sprite : 15%
GUI : 65%
CG : 1%
BGs: 15%

Alriiiiight! This is my first time making a visual novel (although I've been working for quite a long time on it already) and as you can see (or not)...I'm pretty bad at describing stuff haha and...giving titles. And making jokes. I doubt I've ever presented myself to the people on lemma forums before but oh well, there has to be a beginning somewhere. Hi I'm kuki! XD I'm pretty much doing everything from drawing to programming and story-telling. The music/sounds will be taken from other places, though :>.

So what do you guys think about this so far?
Do you think there should be more information about the plot and characters?(That's one thing that bugs me...I'm always scared of giving away too much info and the game's story might be spoiled QAQ)
Would you be interested in a development blog?(That way I'd be able to update more frequently with my WIP's and new ideas and whatever else comes alooong)
Last edited by kukiko-tan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:14 am, edited 24 times in total.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Eternal Youth [VN + RPG] [Friendship/Drama/Romance?]

#2 Post by Katta »

Nice art and really fitting for the story (at least as I imagine it). I'd be interested in knowing more about other characters, if there are any, and rpg elements (like seeing a map)
Personally I think, why not update this thread instead of a dev blog, but many people seem to like blogs)

kukiko-tan
Regular

#3 Post by kukiko-tan »

Katta wrote:Nice art and really fitting for the story (at least as I imagine it). I'd be interested in knowing more about other characters, if there are any, and rpg elements (like seeing a map)
Personally I think, why not update this thread instead of a dev blog, but many people seem to like blogs)
Thank you for your feedback! 8'D I think it would be kind of messy to update here, mainly because I'm at lost how to do that properly ?haaha.. I mean it might be too much to have it all in the first post..and if I updated in replies, then the updates might get lost here and there~
e v e)....oh dear.. I forgot to add the other characters-- I knew something was missing ...XD;;
*goes to make their profiles too*
The rpg part is in a pretty early stage. 8'D I'll put some screenshots after it looks less messy !

Maltagliati
Regular
Projects: Lotus, Driftwood

#4 Post by Maltagliati »

The art is so lovely! <33 I especially love the menu screen that you also used as the header of the thread.
I would definitely like to know more about the characters and the plot. Like what the Guild of Aristocracy is and what Nathan has to do with the flower design contest. Though I guess that could be left as ~ mysterious ~ for now. :) I understand that you would want to keep a level of ambiguity in the post so that not too much is spoiled for the game.
And I would definitely follow your development blog if you set up one.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#5 Post by Duskylli »

This sounds good. Just wondering how much the rpg aspect affects the story. Like if you don't pick up something does it change the storyline? I look forward to more arts (especially pretty flowers) and the rpg bit.

As for the amount of information released its enough to have an idea of the story but at the same time keep you guessing. So it kinda makes me want to play the game to find out whats going on. Plus I enjoy unravelling stories and getting to know characters through gameplay.

I'd check out and comment your dev blog as well if you do make one :)

kukiko-tan
Regular

#6 Post by kukiko-tan »

Maltagliati wrote:The art is so lovely! <33 I especially love the menu screen that you also used as the header of the thread.
I would definitely like to know more about the characters and the plot. Like what the Guild of Aristocracy is and what Nathan has to do with the flower design contest. Though I guess that could be left as ~ mysterious ~ for now. :) I understand that you would want to keep a level of ambiguity in the post so that not too much is spoiled for the game.
And I would definitely follow your development blog if you set up one.
Thank you veeery much! :'D
ohoho, Nathan's relationship with the contest will definetely remain more ~myserious~, however, I shall add soon more information about the Guild because it has an important role and has to do with the setting of the story :'D! Once again, thank you for your feedback ^ 7 ^)/
Duskylli wrote:This sounds good. Just wondering how much the rpg aspect affects the story. Like if you don't pick up something does it change the storyline? I look forward to more arts (especially pretty flowers) and the rpg bit.

As for the amount of information released its enough to have an idea of the story but at the same time keep you guessing. So it kinda makes me want to play the game to find out whats going on. Plus I enjoy unravelling stories and getting to know characters through gameplay.

I'd check out and comment your dev blog as well if you do make one :)
Thank you :> !
e v e) hmm... since it's my first visual novel, I'm pretty scared when I have to make paths haha...I considered options like making it kinetic, but I didn't want it to be kinetic...so...I thought of adding rpg elements! :'D to be honest, I'm trying to figure out more ways to affect the story through paths and rpg.
Oohh * v *) I'm really glad there's enough information! Thank you!

kukiko-tan
Regular

#7 Post by kukiko-tan »

I'm working around to find a suitable textbox 8'D

kukiko-tan
Regular

#8 Post by kukiko-tan »

This shall be the textbox! 8'D (at least for now)

Morgan_R
Regular

#9 Post by Morgan_R »

This looks really interesting! Does the player actually get to arrange flowers? :D

kukiko-tan
Regular

#10 Post by kukiko-tan »

Morgan_R wrote:This looks really interesting! Does the player actually get to arrange flowers? :D
Thank you very much! It is uncertain if the player will get to have that kind of gameplay since I wish it were more story-centered. However, I'll think more about it :'D

Lunacore

#11 Post by Lunacore »

Its such a cute idea <3
and the art seems to be pretty adorable ..

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#12 Post by Duskylli »

kukiko-tan wrote: Thank you :> !
e v e) hmm... since it's my first visual novel, I'm pretty scared when I have to make paths haha...I considered options like making it kinetic, but I didn't want it to be kinetic...so...I thought of adding rpg elements! :'D to be honest, I'm trying to figure out more ways to affect the story through paths and rpg.
Oohh * v *) I'm really glad there's enough information! Thank you!
Don't stress too much about paths. I think the majority of point and click adventure games that I've played were linear but still fun. Looks like the your project is progressing nicely! Keep it up :)

Oh and I saw chibi Sarah she looks scary.

kukiko-tan
Regular

#13 Post by kukiko-tan »

Lunacore wrote:Its such a cute idea <3
and the art seems to be pretty adorable ..
Thank you sooo much! >:D<
Right now I'm pretty much going through some good thinking regarding the art-style of the sprites...I don't know if it's just my opinion, but they don't seem to fit that good with the background! I might change the style in the future, who knows.
Duskylli wrote:
Don't stress too much about paths. I think the majority of point and click adventure games that I've played were linear but still fun. Looks like the your project is progressing nicely! Keep it up :)

Oh and I saw chibi Sarah she looks scary.
I'll try not to, thank you for your advice >:D< ! Nowadays, the paths- thing is coming pretty smoothly as I advance with the story :>
Thank God for any of it's progress! If it weren't for Him, I'd choose to procrastinate a lot whenever I got the chance :P
XD hahaa
well, then you must be thankful that I won't add that chibi in the game hahaaa ~ It's just that it's style doesn't fit with what I have in mind, so no scarry lil' Sarah in there anymore :>

kukiko-tan
Regular

#14 Post by kukiko-tan »

Hmmm
What do you guys think about this style? I think it'd fit better than the other one (' A ')b

Armee
Veteran

#15 Post by Armee »

I like both styles 〜〜(/ ̄▽)/ 〜ф but the second one does look brighter and more suitable (⌒▽⌒)