Pokémon: The Galge

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Moekki

Pokémon: The Galge

#1 Post by Moekki »

Err, pretty much self-explanatory. Born through our love of both Pokémon and galge, we have taken this little project upon ourselves. Interestingly, we've been developing it for little over a year, although it has gone through many different incarnations over this period, and has been scrapped and resurrected at least twice >_>;;...
That said, don't expect much, our team has no writers, rather we are composed of artists and a musician.
Also: the personalities of the characters have been modified to make them more distinct, and many elements have been taken from both the game and the anime. Yeah, it's not exactly what fans would consider 'canon'...
Story
Satoshi returns home once again to Palette Town, in order to have his Pokedex upgraded by Prof. Ookido. He meets some girls.

Romantic Candidates
Kasumi
Some girl who runs the Cerulean Gym.

Haruka
She likes to participate in contests.

Hikari
Currently tagging along with Satoshi.

edit:
programmer here-
i enabled a music section and gallery section!
(we haven't drawn any pictures yet. haha. same with the music)

game designer here-
i uploaded the text box design in the photobucket gallery.
the photobucket gallery will be updated every now and then. so be sure to check.
btw there's only 4 people in our group(one is the musician, as stated above) the other 3 are artists(myself included). however, we're doing the best we can of our abilities to complete this.

Um, more to come later.
Sketches and assorted images: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z188/pokemongalge/
Last edited by Moekki on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#2 Post by Vatina »

*cheers Kasumi on*

Hehe I'm actually interested in this, especially if it takes place in the old pokemon universe ^_^
Last edited by Vatina on Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Ummm... please can you also consider Lorelei from Episode #101 (Kanna or Prima are her other names)?

*sigh* Yes, I am this kind of person. :oops:

Moekki

#4 Post by Moekki »

>>Mikey
Actually, Lorelei plays a major part in Misties route. Although right now she's currently not avaliable, but we'll definitely consider adding a route for her!

Qu-ko
Regular

Re: Pokémon: The Galge

#5 Post by Qu-ko »

Oh SNAP.

Add a Pikachu route, too. 8D

(No, you don't have to if it squicks you or if you don't want to. I just thought it'd be an interesting twist. Hell, make it one of the hard-to-get endings, maybe?)

But yeah, I've always considered making a Pokemon game based on one of the movies (maybe a sort of sequel or prequel to one... have been especially interested in movie 8)... but haven't thought anyone would be interested or anything. But since you've taken the initiative and are making a game (EROGE at that), I think I just might put it on my to-do list. ^^

So, um, thanks for inspiring me. XD

...And I shall be watching this project closely. :D~
ヾ(゚Д゚)ノ うわあああぁぁぁぁぁぁぁ―――――――

denzil
Veteran

#6 Post by denzil »

This sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to this one.
(When I saw this, for some reason I remembered Pokémon Heroes and started to wonder if certain girl from there will be in).
The one that kissed Ash in the end, whoever she was. :)
I think I'll watch the movie again now.

Well, good luck with the game.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Qu-ko
Regular

#7 Post by Qu-ko »

denzil wrote:This sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to this one.
(When I saw this, for some reason I remembered Pokémon Heroes and started to wonder if certain girl from there will be in).
The one that kissed Ash in the end, whoever she was. :)
I think I'll watch the movie again now.

Well, good luck with the game.
That was actually Latias in Kanon/Bianca's form. She can change her form to look like Bianca, except she can't talk.
Altoshipping (Latias/Ash) is actually a really popular ship. So yes, you could definitely consider that as an alternative to Kasumi/Haruka/Hikari. :O

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#8 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Misa wanna play, but misa boycotts 4 and 3 gen pokemon...

Could you fix one path that has only 1 and 2 gen pokemon? That'd be pretty cool, But you don't have to. Just an idea. :wink:

Misa love pokemon! Misa likee game!
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

denzil
Veteran

#9 Post by denzil »

Qu-ko wrote:...spoiler...
Did they revealed who it was latter? Because in the anime it wasn't clear (intentionally I think).
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Qu-ko
Regular

#10 Post by Qu-ko »

denzil wrote:
Qu-ko wrote:...spoiler...
Did they revealed who it was latter? Because in the anime it wasn't clear (intentionally I think).
I believe it was Latias, A) because she said nothing, B) because she wore no hat (real Bianca wears a hat), and C) because Bianca and Ash really didn't have a whole lot of interaction in the movie, so why would Bianca have any reason to kiss him?

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by musical74 »

This looks really interesting...count me in on those that want to play it =)

Just one <minor> question.....how big a game (as far as MB goes) will this be? Those of us on dialup have to take that into consideration....
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

raems

#12 Post by raems »

musical74 wrote: Just one <minor> question.....how big a game (as far as MB goes) will this be? Those of us on dialup have to take that into consideration....
-hello, i'm the programmer/one of the artists for this Pokemon game thing
So far, we have 17.3mbs, which contains some script and some test files. (images, music, and other stuffs)

we haven't even completed/programmed the whole script yet. The complete file size might be around 40-50mbs.

(it might be less?)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

Actually, where are our manners, welcome to the forums, Moekki & raems! :P

Hmmm, as for game size, it's really hard these days to stay under 10MB. I've noticed (because I uploaded a lot of the games on to the Ren'Ai Archives), that the average game has now grown to around 25MB. It used to be single-digit numbers, but now that a lot of people include a good amount of music, the game size grows and grows.

Then, the graphics - more colors, bigger resolution... it all adds up. I wouldn't really blame our favorite engine, Ren'Py - certainly it's grown bigger over time, but I suppose it's being constantly optimized - still, it would be nice to know how many MB it actually "costs" when it makes the distribution.

So yes, a standard game nowadays is 25MB or so - with ambitious projects with lots of resources, I think you can't really get under 20. We struggled with GR to get it under 20MB, and a lot of people later on said that they would have preferred the game bigger, if it had that high-quality soundtrack that we made available later on due to requests.

So as a result, I didn't really watch the megabytes in O3 - we did some music optimization so the game wouldn't be over 100MB, but when you're at around 60MB, it doesn't matter anymore if it grows to 70 or 80. And I would also say that when a game steps over the 10MB (or maybe 20MB) mark, people just don't care anymore. And this game is well over that point, so I even if there was some optimization being done, I don't think it will ever get dialup-friendly.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#14 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py contributes, IIRC, about 2 - 2.5 megs to the size of a compressed game. Less if you swap out the font for one that only includes ascii characters... the DejaVuSans font is fairly, big, and IIRC doesn't compress all that well.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

3blindmice

#15 Post by 3blindmice »

there's going to be 3 paths. it's been decided over and over.. it began with jessie, officer jenny, nurse joy, misty, may, and gary's sister. then we narrowed it down to the 3 heroines in the anime. the introduction of hikari(dawn) really made it easier for us. besides the 3 heroines, the other 3 are way too old for ash. although it would be nice if we could include them.

right now, we're in the process of writing the script, making some character sketches.. music and bg art will come later. because of our lack of ability to write, the script may take a while to finish. we're thinking about making an eroge version, but we're not sure if we have the time.