Something up my sleeve

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

Something up my sleeve

#1 Post by qq »

Hello everyone. This might actually be a game I can/will finish so I need your help on something. In my game two of my characters leave voice messages to each other and I can't seem to come up with anything that isn't lame. So some background on them they are girl and boy are really good friends and are in university. Any suggestions are welcome!
Frog and Kisses Studio
Please visit my Art Blog

Ignosco
Veteran

Re: Something up my sleeve

#2 Post by Ignosco »

Have you played Cell Phone Love Letter before? Stylistically it's similar in most respects to your game, so it might be worth looking at to see how effectively a story can be told in this format.

qq
Regular

#3 Post by qq »

Thanks Ignosco for your reply. No I have not play the game. But my game isn't focus on the voicemails or told through them. My game is pretty straight forward. But I will check out that game. :D
Frog and Kisses Studio
Please visit my Art Blog

absinthe
Regular

#4 Post by absinthe »

It's probably not as lame as you think it is on first glance. Write what you've got, and then tomorrow when you look at it you'll think, "Wow, why did I think that was lame?" :)

Some ideas... they're friends, so they have in-jokes? Have one call the other by a funny name, or refer to the in-joke. Or a place they meet frequently.
"Hey, Sparky... what, you aren't home? Okay, then, since you're SO busy, consider this your reminder not to stand me up for dinner. Later! *click*"
I wince. I hate it when she calls me that. Electrocute someone once by accident and they never let you forget it. At least we're still on for dinner at the Taco Cabana...
Or they could refer to current events in their lives... maybe one has something they urgently want to tell the other in person, but they're not sure they should ("I love you" or "Your boyfriend is cheating on you" or something), and it becomes a running theme throughout the game, that one character just can't quite bring himself to say what he should say, so he's constantly saying something else.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, honestly, but that's just what occurred to me right now!
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

qq
Regular

#5 Post by qq »

Thank you absinthe I think that's exactly what I need.
Frog and Kisses Studio
Please visit my Art Blog

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#6 Post by Mirielle »

Voice-messages huh? Need voice acting?

-shameless plugging-

That aside, I really like this current premise. It sound like it could unfold to be a really nice game! All I can offer as advice is to keep motivated! Unlike me. -cough- -goes back to programming own game-
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!