My thoughts are all over the place!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rasuberi

My thoughts are all over the place!

#1 Post by Rasuberi »

So see, I wanna make a game. I don't know if I want it to be a Bishoujo game, Visual Novel, Eroge, or any variation, but I want to make one nonetheless. But the problem for me is planning it out. In my head I have hundreds of characters and possible plot ideas but I have no idea how to organize any of it. So I don't want anyone asking me, "Okay so what kind of ideas do you have?" because I wont be able to answer. If I could pick them out so easily I wouldn't be having any problems.

So what I want to ask out of you is, what kind of game do YOU want. As in, have you seen something done in the exact way you want it? A type of character you really want to see? I don't know what direction to go in at all. All I know is!

I will draw moe. Cute girls. Pretty girls. Possibly elegant older girls.
I do not like manly things. Mechs, muscles, etc, not appearing in something I make.
I tend to prefer Mysteries, Romance, Character-driven Comedy, Happy Happy, or Crazy Violent types.

Oh and by the way if I do get around to doing this, I will be the artist. Probably the writer too unless there's anyone out there with a nice idea who'd like to team up. I'm lazy so art samples can come later.

Once I get some concrete ideas I'm thinking of drawing some designs out and having polls of what character you'd like to see most. ; D

PrettySammy09
Veteran

Re: My thoughts are all over the place!

#2 Post by PrettySammy09 »

From your description, it doesn't seem like you're interested in doing a game with many males in it, so I won't bother to suggest a girlxboy game. (cries a little)

Well...as for games (or just ideas) I'd really like to see:

-I want to see a game with really gorgeous character designs. Like elegant ballgowns that are super detailed. Maybe Renaissance?
-I want to see a game about a sports team in general. Like a girl's tennis/soccer/basketball team where you try to snag the players as girlfriends.
-I want a game with lots of humor, since they seem to be lacking around here

That's just what I can think of. Of course, my number one preference would be more GxB with plenty of hot guys, but we can't always get what we want. XD

Rasuberi

#3 Post by Rasuberi »

Well I'm actually thinking I may want to do a game with a female as the main player. And I like pretty boys, so I don't think I'd draw any other type of guys. Of course if I did make a girl the main character, there'd have to be lesbian endings. But it's the same if I had a guy character, I'd slip in a guyxguy ending. XD

Any case, I like the idea of elegant old settings. But with that idea I'd either want to make a dramatic game where the characters are in the present and have some strange past that would lead to having those older renaissance designs. Or what I prefer, maybe a cheerful plot with some drama about a acting club that performs plays? It could be mostly based around wanting to make some big play with really pretty designs. It would allow room for lots of costume design too. XD

This is exactly what I need to start thinking, yay!

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#4 Post by Scout »

Rasuberi wrote:Of course if I did make a girl the main character, there'd have to be lesbian endings.
I wish more people thought like you. :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

simple plot idea - a masked ball, in which one of the gameplay elements will be correctly guessing which costume the character of your interest is wearing... it's a good excuse to dress up! :)

absinthe
Regular

#6 Post by absinthe »

Well... what I usually do (assuming no particular plot bunny has me) is take a look at my 'want to try' techniques file. Any time I read about a technique or structure, or like something in a video game, or whatever, I write it down for later. For example - string of pearls structure. Mini-game-based VN. So, what was the last great game you played, and why did you like it?

If all else fails, make a dump file. I open up a blank text document, and talk to myself in it -- everything that comes to mind, no matter how strange or silly -- and when I run out of steam, I usually have something I can work with.
Rasuberi wrote:Any case, I like the idea of elegant old settings. But with that idea I'd either want to make a dramatic game where the characters are in the present and have some strange past that would lead to having those older renaissance designs. Or what I prefer, maybe a cheerful plot with some drama about a acting club that performs plays? It could be mostly based around wanting to make some big play with really pretty designs. It would allow room for lots of costume design too. XD
Ooo, I like that idea! It has a lot of potential! You could easily do a play within the game, as a sort of story-within-a-story. And have how the characters remember/ad lib the lines dictate how the play comes out and how certain things in the main story work out. Or have two virtually separate storylines, intertwined in that one is the play and the other is the reality.

You could do a lot of neat stuff with that! You could even do the modern stuff as DSE style, and the play CYOA style, so there's a nice contrast. Or do 'quests' as the main character goes in search of things like paint for the backdrops and props ('cuz you know, she's just a prop girl/understudy until the main lead comes down with the flu). Anyway, sounds like fun. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#7 Post by PrettySammy09 »

papillon wrote:simple plot idea - a masked ball, in which one of the gameplay elements will be correctly guessing which costume the character of your interest is wearing... it's a good excuse to dress up! :)
I LOVE this idea! :3

And pretty boys are always appreciated. ^^!

Rasuberi

#8 Post by Rasuberi »

Ah so I guess I should do something along this line of elegant/past era theme, and I tend to prefer the play idea I thought of. : ) Cause I wouldn't have to make it just one play either, and I can focus on pretty drawings which is what I already do. But now that a nice idea is kind of placed down, I wanna focus on character creation. Cause to me characters are what make a game. Or story. Anything.

Now if I did do this game, should the protagonist be female or male? I am leaning towards female since those are more uncommon (unless it's a renai game for girls). I also want different routes for different characters. I'm thinking I want a main cast of at least 5-6 people, with 2 main routes. One route that's femalexfemale and another that's femalexmale. Ahaha.

But exactly what kind of bisexual female character could hold this type of game. ; \

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#9 Post by PrettySammy09 »

First of all, I commend your originality. :3 I like the idea of having a bisexual heroine. Some people might take the course of having a hero and heroine, but I prefer the idea you came up with.

A school play sounds like an awesome idea as well. You can have a story within a story which would be really cool and appealing.

I'd prefer a female bisexual heroine, since that hasn't been done before. Originality gets many plus points in my opinion. Maybe you could have a main cast of 6, three male love interests and three female love interests. Maybe a set of them could be brother and sister!! Ooo! As for the heroine, maybe a strong-willed girl who could both be romantic and be romanticized?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

Sounds like a very interesting project ^_^... And the bisexual protagonist is something new, at least in the amateur genre, I think. I'd also see the protagonist as a girl with at least some spunk. I'm not a big fan of tomboys though, but eh... it would probably work too ^^;.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yay for sassy female protagonists, and for games that can be GxB or GxG :)
And my wife would utterly love and glomp you for a renaissance-type ball :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DaFool »

I think bisexual protagonist is innovative. But keep it to just one girl and one guy love interest. If you end up writing one scenario more realistically than the other, then perhaps you may need to rethink whether the character really is bi or is better swinging in just one direction. But yes, this can be a good start.

By the way, your whole theatrical play idea reminds me of Hitohira, one of my favorite slice-of-life (but under-rated) animes this season. And yes, it stars a female protagonist... but in your case you definitely don't want her to be a crybaby like in Hitohira's case.

Rasuberi

#13 Post by Rasuberi »

Haha, I know I saw Hitohira. It was probably my favorite spring series. Mugi was cute but definitely wont be a basis for my character. I actually got the idea of a play in the game through the fandisk of Tsuyokiss though. It was only used loosely for one character though, and I'd plan to make it more extravagant than it was in Hitohira. I want a character that's far more dedicated and talented at acting, for example like Maya in Glass Mask. Except she'd be very different of course, there's no way someone like Maya could hold the game I think.

And route wise, I have no idea how that will go until I start making my characters and actually writing out things. For now I'm just going to go one or two characters at a time, and once I feel like I've done enough, I'll just need my supporting characters and whatnot.