Valkyrie (GxG, magical girls)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

Valkyrie (GxG, magical girls)

#1 Post by vociferocity »

(So this is actually a reboot of a project I started a while ago, which went nowhere when I got distracted by uni. But I'm having another go! This time, hopefully I'll be able to release at least an alpha, haha.)

In Valkyrie, you play as the leader of a team of magical girls, and you have a month to prepare for the final showdown with...your enemies. A lot of the story details are still a little fuzzy for this game, shh.

Chars:
(all names are so totally wip)

You! aka Paige
Paige is athletic, outgoing, and very slightly aggressive. She's the kind of girl who bounces up and down at the edge of a football match screaming obscenities at all the players who suck. She's loyal and cheerful and friendly, but takes absolutely no prisoners. her brooch summons a pink longsword.

Your sister, Briony
Briony is a little shy around new people, but once she gets to know you she's the sharpest and funniest tool in the shed. She's got a quick wit and a sharp tongue, and once she's comfortable she doesn't hesitate to use either. She's not romanceable, but she's always got a helpful hint for her big sister. Her brooch summons two blue daggers.

Yasmin
She's fashionable and creative; always trying out some cool new diy tutorial she found online, or posting her own. She's got a quick temper, but she never holds a grudge. Her brooch summons a yellow flail.

Grace
Grace is calm, cool and collected. She's intelligent and studious and tall, and pretty much every younger girl has a bit of a crush on her, partly thanks to how willing she always is to tutor them. She likes children and animals a whole lot, and her brooch summons a huge green shield.

Pandora
As well as being the final member of the team, Pandora was the one who brought them together. She's a shapeshifter, with her main form being a tiny purple dragon. She's an incorrigible flirt, and is just generally very charismatic. She's also a bit of a con. Her brooch summons a purple halberd.

Gameplay:
Valkyrie is a battle/dating game, basically. Each day you can choose a few things to do, in typical VN style: you can go on patrol with your whole team (battle minigame! raises whole team friendship, gives you gold), you can go to other areas to raise stats/buy things, or you can choose a specific team member to go talk to. You can give them gifts, or engage them in conversation, which raises their friendship level. At certain levels, there are specific scenes with them where you have the opportunity to turn your friendship into something more ;) Probably at the end each week there'll be a little bit of an info-gathering/dungeon-crawl minigame

This is what the battle system looked like in the previous go at this game idea, btw!

Features:
  • Battle system
  • Gift system
  • Four romanceable characters

Progress:
I have all the features pretty much coded up already, although I have to track down the project files, so mostly what I need to do is write up all the conversation scripts, and fix up any bugs (I seem to remember the gift system didn't work quiiite right yet). Once I've got something you can actually play, I'll probably upload it and get a new thread going in the wip projects subforum, but I don't think this project is quite ready to go there yet, haha.

anyway, I'd like to hear what people think! would you play this? am I forgetting something super crucial? what on earth should their magical names be?

Annie Quinn
Regular

Re: Valkyrie (GxG, magical girls)

#2 Post by Annie Quinn »

Aw, this is super cute! I would totally play this game! I really like the diversity of the characters, too. <3 Good luck!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

vociferocity wrote:...anyway, I'd like to hear what people think! would you play this? am I forgetting something super crucial?
1. Are the villains an important part of the story? (You don't need to answer this now.)

2. It looks like the relationships are between members of the magical girl team. Will they benefit fom the power of friendship? Will love keep them together, tear them apart, or not change much?

3. Do magical girls have a place in your society? Do people even notice them?

Think about reading the "So You Want To: Write A Magical Girl Series" article at tvtropes.org when you have time.

I have some plotbunnies regarding alternate relationships (MG x boy with no powers, MG x human form of mascot, MG x villain), but they're beyond the scope of your story.

vociferocity
Regular

#4 Post by vociferocity »

gekiganwing wrote:
vociferocity wrote:...anyway, I'd like to hear what people think! would you play this? am I forgetting something super crucial?
1. Are the villains an important part of the story? (You don't need to answer this now.)

2. It looks like the relationships are between members of the magical girl team. Will they benefit fom the power of friendship? Will love keep them together, tear them apart, or not change much?

3. Do magical girls have a place in your society? Do people even notice them?

Think about reading the "So You Want To: Write A Magical Girl Series" article at tvtropes.org when you have time.

I have some plotbunnies regarding alternate relationships (MG x boy with no powers, MG x human form of mascot, MG x villain), but they're beyond the scope of your story.
1) I think not, for this game, apart from like.. the eventual final battle against whatever thing is going to destroy the world, or whatever. I'd really love to cover a larger sort of story arc with villains and redemption and all that exciting stuff, but that is a game I would never ever finish, haha. I figure a month of in-game time shouldn't be too tragically difficult to actually write stuff for, and if it is I can always dial it down to a week!

2) well, it's interesting that you should ask!! and I can't tell you at all without spoiling the ending of the game, haha.

3) I'm think I'm gonna go with kind of a spiderman-style situation, where people know that they exist, but aren't yet totally sure what side they're on, or think they should be leaving things to the actual authorities

I think I've read that article, actually! but you're right, now is a good time to give it a reread, see what I could be missing. thanks :) & haha, you can totally romance the human version of the mascot! (or maybe she romances you...?) & if there were more villains than just the mooks you take down on patrol and the final monster, you would definitely be able to romance them. I hadn't thought about including a non-powered romance option, though! if the current set of romances works out to be not too much effort, I'll definitely have to consider it as an option

vociferocity
Regular

#5 Post by vociferocity »

Annie Quinn wrote:Aw, this is super cute! I would totally play this game! I really like the diversity of the characters, too. <3 Good luck!
thanks :D & yeah, diversity was definitely on my mind when I was designing characters; I get so bored by teams of identical slender white ladies! if they're going to have unique personalities, they could stand to have unique bodies as well, imo

vociferocity
Regular

#6 Post by vociferocity »

so I finally tracked down my old project files, and I've started putting it all together with my new scripts/images :)

The very first screen! (if you don't count the title, haha. I'd show it to you, but at the minute it's a sketchy wip)

Pandora sassing you

Every day you go to class, and one of half a dozen random events happen

Art-wise, I'm still not totally sure what I'm going to do. My art style is so not the typical super-anime VN style, but the only backgrounds I can find would really go with that style better. So I'm thinking of maybe drawing over the backgrounds? I dunno. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this :)

I still have a super far way to go, but at least things are starting to happen!! The next thing is to get the basics down for a romance arc (I'm starting with Grace, because I have a really strong idea of how their relationship will play out), and then start looking into fixing up all my gift/shop code. battling is going to wait until I've got at least one or two romances possible, I think!

(Speaking of battling! I've been having a bit of a think about villains, so...there might end up being a little more to it than just patrolling and killing random enemy underlings.....)

vociferocity
Regular

#7 Post by vociferocity »

update time!

ok so now I have a title screen, with art commissioned from amber rogers (amber.r.illustration@gmail.com)! pretty excited about how cool it looks, tbh. I'll probably end up using my own art as the title screen, so players don't get too much of a "wait I thought the art was going to be x not y"? idk, not decided about that yet.

and an update on the game stats:
The game contains 75 dialogue blocks, containing 871 words and 4,679
character. The game contains 0 menus, 28 images, and 17 screens.

the images are basically just the backgrounds from the original version, which I'm gonna have to play around with on account of they're all 640x480, and I need 800x600. the dialogue is the prologue, which I'm pretty happy with! it sets up the whole idea of the game pretty well, imo. now to work on grace's arc :)

vociferocity
Regular

#8 Post by vociferocity »

updating pretty much only for accountability: it's nanowrimo now, & I'm gonna use this month to try to get a nice solid first draft of the whole script. wish me luck, guys :)

Wissa
Regular

#9 Post by Wissa »

Yay for accountability! I'll be rooting for ya! It'll be interesting to see what you do with the magical girl theme.

Morgan_R
Regular

#10 Post by Morgan_R »

Your art style is adorable, and I would totally play a magical girl x magical girl game. I hope November is a super-productive month for you! :)