Watashi no Henka

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
AledanTheGreat
Projects: Shinri-tekina

Watashi no Henka

#1 Post by AledanTheGreat »

Okay, I'm planning on creating a visual novel. I've been thinking about the main plot for a while and have realised that I'll use Ren'py to make it. It's going to be extremely long and complex-with MANY decisions made, so I'd prefer it if I had some help in the writing and things, and help getting to grips with Ren'py (still pretty confused about how it works) and obviously about the art. It's probably going to be called shinri-tekina ("psychological" in Japanese). I'll outline the main plot: a boy called Takeshi Ichiyusai has a kinetic fit at his home, and is taken to a hospital after hitting his head on the floor, falling into a coma in the process. When he wakes up he has amnesia, and can't remeber who is parents are. A boy called Atsutante Shirane who has anger problems helps him for a while, and they develop a bond before Atsutante is taken to a school for the mentally challenged. Takeshi becomes more aware and gets to grips with his new life, and it comes to his attention he has irritation syndrome (going to see if that exists, need to find another similar mental disability if it doesn't) and has to go to the same school as Atsutante (inspired mostly by Katawa Shoujo, but different after you go to the school). If you want to know more, private message me and I'll send you the brief spreadsheet of the characters (there are MANY). We won't need artists until later in development but would appreciate it now. I hope you can help me in this. Thank you.
Last edited by AledanTheGreat on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Watashi no Henka

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

It's impossible to be 100% original. This is not a bad thing -- by looking at what others write and create, you can refine your work. Please keep in mind that while it's not *bad* to reference other pieces of fiction, it's usually best to make sure your project doesn't seem like an imitation.

Don't let expectations limit your imagination. Your vN does *not* need to be a school based love story with many slice of life scenes in present day Japan. It can take place anywhere. Its setting could be your hometown, a city you saw once, the distant past, an imaginary realm... all of these options can work. Likewise, you can use any kinds of characters -- they can be any age, ethnicity, sex/sexuality, background, and so on. If you want to write about sentient animals commanding a spaceship, then go for it!

Keep in mind that a lot of projects die due to lack of planning. Creating many choices is great, but keep in mind that it means you'll do a lot of work just to stay organized and bug-free. I think you'll benefit by imposing deadlines. That way, you'll be less tempted to delay writing and coding.

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#3 Post by Sorakun »

Hi Aledan,

First a few things, you might want to specify what your looking for, ex, programmers, artists, writers ect also, you might want to specify what kind of workload they would be doing.
Secondly this should probebly be in Recruitment & Services Offered, unless you are just looking for someone to assist you in understanding Ren'py.
And as a final note you should specify if it is paid or non paid if you are looking for help.

Now those are over, if you are looking for assistance or need a programmer, ill happly help. I'm not an expert at Ren'py but i have been working with python for a while.

If your interested send me either a reply here or send me a pm and we can talk over the project a bit more.
Story sounds great btw

AledanTheGreat

#4 Post by AledanTheGreat »

gekiganwing wrote:It's impossible to be 100% original. This is not a bad thing -- by looking at what others write and create, you can refine your work. Please keep in mind that while it's not *bad* to reference other pieces of fiction, it's usually best to make sure your project doesn't seem like an imitation.
Thanks gekiganwing, those suggestions really helped. I get your point: nothing is 100% original, there has to be some source of inspiration for every visual novel. But, let me please assure you, it will not be an "imitation" of KS, just the slight same setting and introduction. Also, I've thought about what you said about the limitations of expectation: that helped me realise that I didn't need to stick to what I want completely. There will definitely be some tweaks in order after hearing that. Also, I phrased some of the points wrong: the place where Takeshi is sent isn't a "school" per say, but is more or less a care home for the psychologically challenged, where they help them taking in mind the limitations of their abilities. Also, with the choices, It'll be rough to organise but it might work. There'll be 5 paths, with 3 for single girls, one is a surprise, and another is working your way to popularity. If I can manage to take away one of the girls relatively early on in the story, It'll be easier to work my way around the organisation.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advice. Right now, it's just an idea and I'm basically just looking for advice and a few people to help, but I'll trust you in this one. But, personally, I'll make the early storyline as flexible as possible, and also there will be immigrants looking for good hospitality in the psychological care/education area. Again, thank you.

Hyraculon
Regular
Projects: Goetia Club

#5 Post by Hyraculon »

Sorry, but how does "Watashi no Henka" translate to "try taking it seriously"?

AledanTheGreat

#6 Post by AledanTheGreat »

Hyraculon wrote:Sorry, but how does "Watashi no Henka" translate to "try taking it seriously"?
Yep, fucked up there. Got mixed up with the old title and the one i want. I realised that try taking it seriously is too long of a title in Japanese, and have just gone with a simple shinri-tekina, which my Japanese friend tells me means psychological in English. The original title was "change my" (some Japanese is vague, next time need to use a translating device instead of a Japanese friend) but I think shinri-tekina is a good and catchy title to be honest.

Hyraculon
Regular
Projects: Goetia Club

#7 Post by Hyraculon »

Oh, okay! That makes a lot more sense.

Golden.Fleece
Regular
Projects: Maienzauber
Organization: Golden Fleece Creative Productions

#8 Post by Golden.Fleece »

Any basic art or sketches on the subject?

AledanTheGreat

#9 Post by AledanTheGreat »

Golden.Fleece wrote:Any basic art or sketches on the subject?
Not yet, right now I'm focusing more in the basic plot. But I have a decent idea of what each character will look like, and if you're willing to help I can private message you what I want them to look like (if you're an artist, that is) and then we can elaborate on the subject.