Cut and Paste- A walk in the park

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

Cut and Paste- A walk in the park

#1 Post by mjshi »

I have run into some technical difficulties*... I'll have to re-do the sprite images.

Sprites: [|             ] 10%
Backgrounds: [||||||||||] 100%
Music: [||||||||||] 100%
Screens: [||||||||||] 100%
Script: [||            ] 20%
CGs: Planned, but no idea how many needed.

You play as the main character in a walk through the park- meet one of three different individuals as you proceed through your walk.
With an, erm, unique (see: put together in 5 minutes) art style and music (see: 5 second loops), this is a VN that will hopefully be actually finished. A small project.

ImageImageImage

Left: A reserved boy who has doubts about the future.
"One day I aimed too high, and when the arrow came down it struck me in the heart-- told me exactly how ordinary I really was."

Center: A purple-haired stranger. Did I mention the purple hair?
"If you have any objections to my choice of hair and eye color, you are welcome to voice them now."

Right: An arrogant athlete with full confidence in his abilities. 
"So when I say, I'm going to college, they're like, oh, I recommend so-and-so, I hear they've got a good sports program. Do I look like I can't get to a college by normal, academic means?"

What I mostly want from this WIP thread is-
  • I used graphics reminiscent of, well, old coloring books, what with the odd parts of color slashed out by a size 100 eraser... will this be interpreted into me being lazy ._.
  • I'm not really a great composer... so is looping a simple melody an acceptable way of breaking, well, 'radio silence'? xD
  • Whenever you write a VN, do you first draw the graphics or first write up the story?
  • Eh, people know about it now, can't exactly back out, can I?

*since the sprites were too large I tried to resize them... then I learned that there are many many sizes for 85% ;_;
Last edited by mjshi on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Cut and Paste- A walk in the park

#2 Post by Ran08 »

The sprites are really cute! :) And I guess the BGs are in the same style?

Anyway, I'd really love to play this. Though, walking in the park, just walking I mean, doesn't interest me much at the moment. However, I'm curious as to what the walk will end up to. Haha. :)

Goodluck on this!

aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

#3 Post by aphosphene »

Ohh I'm excited for this! I love the rushed art style. It looks adorable to me. <3
I love walking in the park and I've always loved things that have a colorbook-themed style. Brings back so many memories.

I know I'm not one to say (since I haven't completed any of my games yet) but I write the story and make the art alongside each other. I'm not the type who can just plan out the every detail of the script in one go and I can't just draw out all the things before making an initial script because things will eventually change in the story and it would be bothersome to go back to the art and adapt it for the changes.

It starts with an idea. I sort of "plant it" and let it the story grow while I draw whatever results I can get from it as it flourishes. I hope you get what I mean. xD
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

mjshi
Regular

#4 Post by mjshi »

@Ran08: Eh, it's supposed to be what you would call a slice of life VN. And thanks!

@aphosphene: Thanks also. It's really interesting to see how others make VNs :o everyone approaches it in a slightly different way, don't they? So I guess you could say that some people base their art off of the VN and others base the VN off of the art ^^

mjshi
Regular

#5 Post by mjshi »

Update: Adding CGs.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#6 Post by kaleidofish »

I used graphics reminiscent of, well, old coloring books, what with the odd parts of color slashed out by a size 100 eraser... will this be interpreted into me being lazy ._.
I'm not really a great composer... so is looping a simple melody an acceptable way of breaking, well, 'radio silence'? xD
Whenever you write a VN, do you first draw the graphics or first write up the story?
Eh, people know about it now, can't exactly back out, can I?
1. It won't be considered lazy, as long as it fits the overall mood/theme. It all just needs to fit together. Do you plan on the writing to be light and fluffy? A serious tone may be jarring. Then again, it is a walk in the park, not a zombie apocalypse love drama so I think you're good. XD

2. Yeah, a loop is fine. Much better than nothing at all. I agree with avoiding radio silence. If you're unsure of your abilities, you can look into tracks on jamendo.com or check through the Creative Commons part of this forum. If you've got a Mac or iProductOfSomeKind, Garage Band will make things a little easier.

3. I'm not an artist. I've learned over time that it's best for me to fully finish a script, then get the art. That way, lovely sprites aren't waiting forever & staring at me menacingly for me to get the writing done. I always recommend doing an outline, though, so you can keep the project scope tame. This will be especially important since you plan on adding CGs now.

4. Heheh, now there is no escape.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.