Invasion of the Panty Snatchers

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Invasion of the Panty Snatchers

#31 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: Uh, shading is what makes the difference between a 12-16 hour background versus a 30min-1 hour one.
Hmm - it's possibly a difference in styles, but I largely disagree. I find with backgrounds that generally, it takes me more or less as long to draw the lineart as it does to fill the basic colour as it does to shade it as it does to texture it. But I do tend to spend ages before I even start the final inks messing around with proportions and perspective and other things beginning with 'p'.
DaFool wrote: Now I looked at Project Rub... eh, that's too flat. At least have some character outlines, and be able to see the facial features, lol!
Well, I was just noting that there are some flat styles I like because they're flat. The Feel the Magic and Rub Rabbits intro movies, short as they are, are pretty awesome and very pretty.
I certainly don't think outlines are necessary. Sometimes, in fact - despite my unbounded love of Mucha's work - lines can detract from a perfectly nice image. But yeah, I'd forgotten the lack of faces - I was imagining something more along the lines of this.
DaFool wrote: The whole point is that if this is going to be an ecchi game, it is imperative that players should be drooling over Jenny and wanting to snatch her panties themselves.
Sure, sure. But I fail to see why outlines or even faces are necessary for this. I mean this is pretty hot; these girls are kind of cute, and you can tell what's going on here... ;-)
DaFool wrote: If you really want to do specific pieces (besides the character of course...mine! mine! mine! :D ), please tell. Otherwise I won't mind doing everything as well lol.
Well, fine - if we're grabbing jobs by the testicles, I'll take the backgrounds. ;-) I'd offer to do sprites as well, but it makes sense for the same artist to draw both lots of panties, IMO, so you'd best do those for consistency's sake.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#32 Post by DaFool »

Ah, this reminds me of your style... something I noticed is the barely visible linework on sprites, while at the sametime the linework is still visible on the backgrounds... taking a look at MorningStar again, the lines for the BGs are about as thick (and sometimes seem thicker) than the sprite lines -- and they're both very thin to begin with.

Whereas I have been going totally lineless for BGs (That's why I mention that texturing takes longer... I technically do not have a guide so just patch things up as I construct each layer... sort of like a canvas painting.) and for sprites I have moderate to thick lines.

So... perhaps with my more 'lineful' sprites and your lineful BGs... they might actually mesh. :D Okay... so I'll make a regular straight-on perspective and size it larger than the final resolution, that way they can be repositioned and resized once we have the backgrounds.

Jake
Support Hero

#33 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: Ah, this reminds me of your style... something I noticed is the barely visible linework on sprites, while at the sametime the linework is still visible on the backgrounds... taking a look at MorningStar again, the lines for the BGs are about as thick (and sometimes seem thicker) than the sprite lines -- and they're both very thin to begin with.
There's two things going on there that conspire to produce that effect. Firstly, I drew the characters too big, because once we'd put them in at the size I was thinking of when I drew them, Fice complained that they were standing too close (and also we couldn't see the Auratum girls' hot miniskirts properly) so they were scaled down further... leading to smaller lines. Secondly, the line art on the characters is coloured to match the colour of the thing it's bounding - so the lineart around the arms is a darker shade of flesh-tone, the lineart on the shirts is light grey-blue - which also makes them look thinner... and because scripting took longer than I expected, I didn't have a chance to do this on all the backgrounds.
DaFool wrote: Whereas I have been going totally lineless for BGs (That's why I mention that texturing takes longer... I technically do not have a guide so just patch things up as I construct each layer... sort of like a canvas painting.)
Coincidentally, I was more or less doing the same thing with the MorningStar BGs, only with lines over the top as well. If you hide the lines layer on most of them they don't look bad, just most of them didn't get enough texture to really stand out like that. But to give an example:

No lines
50% lines
100% lines

;-)

YuMMz
Regular

#34 Post by YuMMz »

I definitely think the 100% lines BG looks the best.

Jake
Support Hero

#35 Post by Jake »

YuMMz wrote:I definitely think the 100% lines BG looks the best.
Yeah? I think I prefer the 50% one, myself... it probably looks significantly different at the original resolution (1600x1200) though. I'd still prefer to properly re-colour the lines to match the BG colours.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#36 Post by DaFool »

PyTom, will the final game be totally open-source (unobfuscated)?

If so, then you wouldn't mind if contributions are made public? (e.g. attached to this thread).

I'm thinking of applying more palette-switching techniques to make a layered work file which you can tailor to match your image of Jenny best. (Of course this would mean that the panties would be *totally* removable / hotswappable and I'll probably pixellate parts of the base layer --- oh my gosh I am getting erotic ideas from that ALICE thread :D )

The layered workfile would be exported into individual pngs and recomposited by Ren'Py. Now that could pose problems if there were naked base layers and the game were unobfuscated and still considered as Teen rating.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by DaFool »

In addition (and this idea came from the sprite planning in my next game), you could set the panties (as well as other clothes) to be Dynamic Displayables.

So you can have Jenny have magically-changing panties depending on her mood (or love points hint hint), or you can click *certain* areas and have her clothes change during game-time.

Come to think of it, clothes-changing could be another gameplay aspect to consider (it is planned for Gothloli Fashion Academy), but I wasn't too sure about making a nice interface for it. But I'm pretty sure you are more capable of creating a "dressing room" little interface where you can dress up (or dress down) Jenny to suit your tastes... heck I'd probably spend hours on that gameplay, even more than shooting down the snatchers with the tennis ball cannon.

So a little ALICE-like implementation (maybe part of renpygame? If not than just a simple imagemap system). Something for the perverts to consider... well considering that this is an ecchi game to begin with...

Jake
Support Hero

#38 Post by Jake »

Man, DaFool... you are feature creep made flesh! ;-)
DaFool wrote:PyTom, will the final game be totally open-source (unobfuscated)?
Wasn't the intent to provide a demo for Ren'PyGame? It strikes me that it'd be a bit of a shoddy demo if it wasn't unobfuscated...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#39 Post by PyTom »

Yep, it will be open source. And now I have to decide on an arcade mechanic that's worthy of the monstrosity this will become.

Some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3saHdBBL2ng
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by DaFool »

Okay... I'll do it like the Betty doll (nipple-less, vagina-less). Or heck, maybe add a default thong or something.

To expand on the idea... how about having it be a hybrid dating sim? The love points you gather can be used to boost the panties' capabilities during renpygame.

For example... Jenny likes you twice as much as at the beginning of the game: The G-Force acceleration capabilities of the panties increases twice (e.g. acceleration from 4G to 8G), and its evasion rate from snatching increases by 100%.

Now I don't intend to extend the game development time... but if any of these features are considered at the very beginning, then it should be simple to integrate them during development. And the payoff in additional gameplay features would be exponential. Just another one of the (hopefully) efficient ideas that can be realized.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#41 Post by Enerccio »

PyTom wrote:Yep, it will be open source. And now I have to decide on an arcade mechanic that's worthy of the monstrosity this will become.

Some inspiration:

here is high quality: http://stage6.divx.com/user/cheer_up/vi ... -DA-Pantsu :mrgreen:
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

Jake
Support Hero

#42 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:Yep, it will be open source. And now I have to decide on an arcade mechanic that's worthy of the monstrosity this will become.
When I first read the name/description a blend between Defender and Missile Command sprang more or less fully-formed into my head:

UFOs sidle in from the side of the screen, dive to grab panties from the washing line, then fly off the top of the screen, all relatively slowly of course. Player fires a ball from a limited supply by clicking into the field, whereupon the ball fires from the central launcher in a parabola, knocking out any saucers it happens to hit. The point clicked determines the initial velocity vector, which then gets modified by gravity accordingly - meaning that the ball never actually passes through the point clicked and the player has to judge the rate of fall in order to hit saucers. Score X points for taking out a saucer, Y(>X) points for taking out a saucer that was carrying panties away, lose Z(>Y) points for letting a pair get away. Each round there are more simultaneous saucers and/or they fly faster and/or they tend more towards the edges of the screen where it's harder to hit them.

PyTom wrote: Some inspiration:

That's... special. ;-)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by DaFool »

Yes, I sort of envisioned it like Jake mentioned... but stringing them on a washing line... that's a good idea.

The actual engine itself doesn't have to be complicated... it's the customization possibilities that makes gameplay interesting, plus it will work better for less trigger-finger-capable / less motor-skill requirements gamers, such as VN players like ourselves.

So how about being able to collect panties yourself (given to you by Jenny depending on your interactions with her), then stack them onto the launcher for added capabilities, such as a more direct parabolic rate. I'm imagining 3 empty power-up slots on the launcher which you can fill with special attack panties.

And about that video... good panty designs, but the Jenny will have to be much older than that. :wink:

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#44 Post by Enerccio »

DaFool wrote:And about that video... good panty designs, but the Jenny will have to be much older than that. :wink:
Not really :lol:
You can say she is 18 anyway :lol:

(And I bet this is from some eroge..) :D
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by monele »

Flying pantsu! *_*..... Uhh... I'll volunteer to make the intro video XD