dissonance in my head [pjo fangame] [hiatus]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SimonLayton
Regular

dissonance in my head [pjo fangame] [hiatus]

#1 Post by SimonLayton »

A Percy Jackson and The Olympians / Heroes Of Olympus fangame.
Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended. The series and its characters belong to Rick Riordan and Disney Hyperion. We are in no way associated with them. We are not earning any money out of this. This is written and created by fans, for the fans, and solely for entertainment purposes only.
What if prophecies were warnings, instead of poems telling you of what to come? What if the Second Great Prophecy wasn’t told to us, but the rise of Mother Gaea happened? Here is an alternate universe where Hera didn’t switch Percy and Jason from their camps. Here is an alternate universe in which Hazel didn’t come back to life for the purpose of saving the world, but solely to exist only in present time. Here is an alternate universe where everyone, even the gods themselves, didn’t know what was coming and wasn’t prepared for it. Here is a story where coincidences are just coincidences, and have no more meaning. This is about two stray demigods struggling in this world where they have no idea what to do but to run and survive.
ABOUT
This is a fangame/visual novel based on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson world, taking place at the start of The Lost Hero, and diverging away from canon into a darker turn of events. Maybe with a few writing techniques, the game can be stand-alone, and you can enjoy it without any knowledge above the series prior playing this.

At Wilderness School, you, Piper McLean, and your friend, Leo Valdez, are kidnapped by monsters on a field trip to the Grand Canyon, and brought into the lair of Mother Gaea. You will be used as blood sacrifices for her ultimate rise. After narrowly escaping the lair and branded by "The Mark" in the first act of the story, the player will choose between four paths, and dozens of branches for the two main characters. The game will have two endings. There's a possibility we might implement a personality test at the beginning of the game before the plot kicks to motion, to determine what kind of person your character is, and how it would affect the path you choose in the game.

Piper McLean is the default narrator and main character, but you can insert any character in her place if you don't want her; a male character, a different female character, yourself, etc. (Note: we are sure to have a female character, but we have yet mapped out how the story would go if the player decides the narrator is a guy.)
WHAT TO EXPECT

This game is text-heavy, planning to have more than ten thousand words, uses creative commons backgrounds, and has a few amount of sprites and no advanced GUI, and no ability to romance characters. We are determined to finish the game before the last book of the series is released, which is on October of this year.

There will be a Twine version and a Ren'py version. Writing-wise, nothing will change in both. Twine is for those who can't download the game and prefer to play it online. Although, there will be more stuff in Ren'py like music and less confusion in plot interaction, and more customization to have a better experience in the story. But please don't expect anything advanced! The game is technically ambitious (at least, to us), but since we're still in the very early stages, nothing is solid, especially in programming and how the game would go. It could end up as a normal VN after all.
PROGRESS AND STAFF
Outlining: 80%
Writing: 5% (The original script is scrapped, and we are rewriting a new one.)
Visuals (Backgrounds and GUI): 10%
Coding: 0%

Writing: simonlayton (notyourleo), rheazeamoll (hazelle more)
Visuals: rheazeamoll (sprites/characters), simonlayton (backgrounds)
Coding: simonlayton
Engine: Ren'py and Twine (for online play).
More updates and information in the development blog. :) Although the information there is outdated right now.

Mock ups for Twine (containing snippets from the original script):
final-game-sample-3.png
final-game-sample-2.png
Characters:
Piper McLean. (Artist says that's not Katoptris, partly because the character doesn't like her own weapon anymore, and partly because they don't meet in this story)
Piper McLean. (Artist says that's not Katoptris, partly because the character doesn't like her own weapon anymore, and partly because they don't meet in this story)
Leo Valdez.
Leo Valdez.
Last edited by SimonLayton on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: dissonance in my head [fangame][gxb,bxb][dark]

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

You're making a game about Percy Jackson?! MY FAVOURITE BOOK EVER?!?! //faints and dies// OHMYGOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't wait ;-; good luck with progress! I'll be stalking this :3
i'll cry if you yell at me

SimonLayton
Regular

#3 Post by SimonLayton »

silverpikachu99 wrote:
You're making a game about Percy Jackson?! MY FAVOURITE BOOK EVER?!?! //faints and dies// OHMYGOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't wait ;-; good luck with progress! I'll be stalking this :3
IM EXCITED TOO THIS IS MY FAVORITE SERIES FOREVER. Actually I already have everything mapped and started writing it back in September last year, but I became so busy I almost forgot it. DX It was also falling out slowly until I was saved by my co-writer and partner-in-crime, and decide to refresh the story again. :3
Honest Critique

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#4 Post by silverpikachu99 »

SimonLayton wrote:
silverpikachu99 wrote:
IM EXCITED TOO THIS IS MY FAVORITE SERIES FOREVER. Actually I already have everything mapped and started writing it back in September last year, but I became so busy I almost forgot it. DX It was also falling out slowly until I was saved by my co-writer and partner-in-crime, and decide to refresh the story again. :3
Awesome :0!!!! I wish you luck~~
i'll cry if you yell at me

SimonLayton
Regular

Re: dissonance in my head [pjo fangame][gxb,bxb][dark]

#5 Post by SimonLayton »

Hiiii, we're too busy to dabble in this project often (cries because of school) but here's a really small update for everyone, and to bump the thread to say hey we're still alive and kicking. (and thank you to my partner-in-crime bless her for taking time even though there's college. ;_;)

Just a sketch of Piper McLean, drawn by the amazing rheazeamoll, because, hey children, we're adding sprites now! :D (yay sounds) But as silhouettes in the visual novel. That explains why the character has no face (and drawing faces can be hard grrrr), since we're only showing you the outline of the character. Maybe we'll put faces in the future. Most likely not. :P
1517440_504595756328147_1856212496_n.jpg
Honest Critique

SimonLayton
Regular

Re: dissonance in my head [pjo fangame][gxb,bxb][dark]

#6 Post by SimonLayton »

Aaaaand another rough sketch of another character (hazelle (rhea) is really quick :O ). Leo Valdez. o3o
1800407_504648999656156_1750365951_n.jpg
Honest Critique

RheaZeamoll
Completed: The Clown
Organization: Aurora Incendium Productions

Re: dissonance in my head [pjo fangame] [hiatus]

#7 Post by RheaZeamoll »

Lack of faces apart, I really really like how the pictures came out... o3o (I should do Faceless people forever xD)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

Percy Jackson = 8) 8) 8)
RheaZeamoll wrote:Lack of faces apart, I really really like how the pictures came out... o3o (I should do Faceless people forever xD)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

RheaZeamoll
Completed: The Clown
Organization: Aurora Incendium Productions

#9 Post by RheaZeamoll »

Rinima wrote:Percy Jackson = 8) 8) 8)
RheaZeamoll wrote:Lack of faces apart, I really really like how the pictures came out... o3o (I should do Faceless people forever xD)
I think I died. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
| Writer | Editor | Artist | Honest Critique
| The Clown | dissonance in my head | aurora incendium productions |

| Editor, Proofreader and Researcher at your service! |

Dreaming of the day I take over the world with animals. Beware.