Solstice {BL OELVN}

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
parvenue
Regular

Solstice {BL OELVN}

#1 Post by parvenue »

Solstice - n. The moment the Sun stands farthest north (in June) or south (in December) in the sky. The June (summer) solstice is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere, while the December (winter) solstice is the shortest day.

It's the summer time...
..and it's so damn boring...

Fun for some, intense yawning for others. A feeling of constant boredom as the days go by. The calendar pages flip, turning the fifth day to the sixth as the dullness brings you down with the rising of the numbers. Ennui in its finest.

There's no one here. Everyone's gone. Gone fishing with their family. Gone to some snooty summer camp with friends. Gone on vacation. Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone!

. . .Well...except for that freak Hettie.

When all of his friends have gone away, what's a bored Leon Sunderland to do? Alone, with only his parents to talk to, Leon decides to break his boredom cycle by seeking out his neighbor, Hettie. That's about when the visual novel begins, with Hettie and Leon meeting eachother for the first time. The focus of this BL OELVN is on those two characters and the situations they find themselves in. The visual novel deals with abuse, gay bashing, intense bullying, external and internal homophobia, and one long summer between friends.
~Information~

Solstice is a Boys Love OELVN, meaning two boys generally "loving" eachother or BXB or yaoi. You can call it by any name, but know this first. This is not the story of an overly feminized boy falling for his taller, more manly match. This isn't about an illicit "kawaii sensei bishi moe z0mg desu desu" (I think I lost two brain cells writing that, haha) and student story. No. This is Leon Sunderland and Hettie Henderson's story. Two kids that just are, without any yaoi cliches that would forever pin them together. They're characters that stand on their own two feet and hand in hand at the same time.

As the visual novel is entirely character driven, I can't talk much about the plot without spoiling the whole thing. Instead, I'll talk about how Solstice reads. It's slice-of-life-ish at times, going from various scenes with Hettie and Leon in them. If you've ever read "The House on Mango Street", you'd probably know what I'm talking about, or, to describe it even better, think about four panel comics turned into a visual novel. One scene, one little comic strip making up a longer story. It's sometimes serious, sometimes funny, but due to Leon's negative personality there always seems to be a darker undertone to things. It's...an experience and a bit of an experiment, as well.

There also isn't one uniform art style to the game. Certain scenes call for certain art styles - twisted scenes turn the style morbid. It's a visual ride as well as a novel one. I'm going to make sure that, even though the VN is "flat", it's full of life at the same time.

Unfortunately, this isn't an IntRenAiMo VN, so don't expect it finished by April. However, this is an inspiring time, so I'm hoping that I can get a large majority of the game finished by mid-April. No release date planned yet. There's around 30k words so far. I'm not the fastest writer in the world, so to reach that much is a huge deal to me. Go me.

~Characters~

* Leon Sunderland: The narrator of Solstice, you'll be seeing the game through his eyes. He has a low opinion of "childish" things and is easily bored. Not the nicest kid in the world, he can be sharply sarcastic when he wants to be. Even so, he seems to find a friend in Hettie Henderson. On clouds: "I see white fluffs. Simple, shapeless clouds. I can't see what [Hettie] sees and I don't know if I really want to."

* Hettie Henderson: Neighbors with Leon, they make friends early on in the visual novel and become "something else" later on. Perpetually happy and highly spirited, he wears an earflap hat and a constant smile. Despite his appearance, Hettie's carrying a secret of his own that shakes everything. On his hat: "It's fun!"

* Sherry: Leon's last nameless ex-girlfriend. Drama, drama, drama.

There's more characters but talking about them would only ruin the visual novel. Bad enough I talked about Sherry. Oh well.

tl;dr version -

A BXB visual novel minus yaoi cliches set over the summer vacation. Sounds like fun.

Attached is an art teaser of Hettie and his hat (art thieves beware - I *will* take action against you). Enjoy, love it and have a nice day.

And on another note, does anyone have trouble writing the opposite gender? Ugh... Normally, I don't, but when it comes to writing romantic scenes it's too easy to make them both girly (I'm a girl, in case anyone was wondering). Oh well.
Attachments
Hettie Henderson
Hettie Henderson
HETTIEhatTEASERcopyrighted.PNG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Last edited by parvenue on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

Need a PREMIUM Rapidshare host? PM me - I'll host your files free of charge.

BellosTheMighty
Regular

Re: Solstice

#2 Post by BellosTheMighty »

Watch those trademarks. There was an NES game called Solstice way back in the day. Probably nothing to be worried about, but be careful...
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

So... is this a BxB game that is not targetted primarily at females (not BL)? It would definitely be a refreshing change.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#4 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I like the idea.

Will they be like "sailor moon" 14 or "Pokemon/yugioh" 14?

Like "We look grown up but we are really 14" or "We look 14. Period."
Last edited by Sailor Kitty on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#5 Post by Hime »

I'm not usually into shounen ai at all but I can't help considering this really interesting. Looking forward to it! ^^

parvenue
Regular

#6 Post by parvenue »

@ BellosTheMighty -
Heh, I looked up that game. It looked...interesting. I'll be careful of the title, don't worry. I might add a word to the name around its release. For now, Solstice will stick as a WIP name.

@ mikey -
Well, I've always thought that Boys Love games should be for anyone. Females and males both... As long as the player is fine with homosexual relationships, then this VN is for them. I was sick of seeing the same seme/uke relations in anime/manga/fanfiction/what-have-you time and time again, so I decided to push for a change with this VN. :)

@ SailorKitty -
I have faith in my artist that she'll draw them in a way that it's apparent they're fourteen. Leon (the protagonist) pretends that he's older than he really is, though...

@ Hime -
Thanks for looking forward to it!

@ all -
The work's going along great. I've been gathering up reference images for my artist and working on the audio. I'm starting the beginning of the end of Solstice now, although I may lengthen it up a bit. I'll have to see. Thanks for showing interest, everyone.

I should have some character images up by the next time I post in this thread. Keep on your toes. :twisted:
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

parvenue wrote:I'm starting the beginning of the end of Solstice now, although I may lengthen it up a bit. I'll have to see.
Sweet! I have much hope for this project. But the work may have only begun. Please find as many ways to ease the burden on your artist, such as limiting the postures and reusing the rest. There have been projects which were fully-written script-wise, but because of the art burden, still, they were never finished.

Hope the adrenaline is starting to kick in and I pray your artist pushes through these mid and final legs of production.

parvenue
Regular

#8 Post by parvenue »

@DaFool - Yeah, after doing some research around, I've seen how artwork requirements can sometimes kill projects. I've made sure not to overwork my artist by cutting corners, I guess you could say, in a way that wouldn't be noticed otherwise. I mean, does every little scene need a special CG to go along with it? Nah. The CGs in Solstice are used for impact. I won't release the number of CGs at this time, though. :P

Thanks for your interest! This project will live up to your hopes, I'm sure.

~~~~

@All -

I know I said that I wouldn't post here until I had artwork to show. So-rry. We're working out somethings with the characters' appearances at the moment! Please bare with us. ^_^

So, just checking in to say that this project is going on strong. I've mapped out one ending and might be able to get another one done extremely soon, how fun. Don't count Solstice out just yet. :twisted:
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#9 Post by x__sinister »

I would love to help in any way I can. Artwork, fixing up the grammar/spelling/whatever, anything really. I just can't script on Ren'Py too well. [is still learning]
A literate roleplaying community.

parvenue
Regular

Re: Solstice {BL OELVN}

#10 Post by parvenue »

Artwork's being all taken care of. I'll PM a copy of the script to you when it's ready for the proofreading/editing/testing stage.

First post updated. Project's been worked on stealthily all this time with a few breaks in between. It's not going to be an IntRenAiMo game, but I'm using this month to finish a large majority of the visual novel. Good luck to me and everyone else. :)
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<