Decision Three [Tentative] [BxG] [Simulation] [WiP] 04-27-14

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
thewriterjm
Completed: None
Projects: Decision Three
Organization: Shift RE

Decision Three [Tentative] [BxG] [Simulation] [WiP] 04-27-14

#1 Post by thewriterjm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 am

Tentative Title: Decision Three
Update:
04-27-14:
Been through a lot lately. And as I promised to myself, I have updated a bit more than usual. I have redrawn some of the faces and clothes of the main characters to make them appear that they have been drawn by one person. Yeah, the previous sketches appeared that they were drawn by different artists, and it was evident on their eyes. I always encounter difficulties when trying to make my drawings consistent. Anyway, I have drawn more than that, but the ones I removed are not that important to the story yet. And please excuse me to the below mediocre quality of the sketches.

Aside from those, I added more information regarding the story. Unfortunately, the loop holes are getting worse. I did not realize that making a once linear story become a multi branched one. All I can say that everything is in a temporary state in the story. And anything can change while the story is under development. Anyway, that is it for now.

04-07-14:
Again, it has been a while. I wasn't able to do anything productive the past two weeks. As of now, I have been constantly being barraged at work, and being an obedient slave to procrastination. About the story, I am consistently encountering plot holes. Yes; a lot of them. But on a positive note, I was able to provide the paths for two more main characters. Technically, I have a bit more solid idea on how the three main leads' stories will progress. The next step is to bring some life to the supporting characters and the protagonist himself. However, their stories seem disconnected. And of course, their stories are still in need of massive polishing.

Nevertheless, I can still say that I have progress much less than before. I haven't even finished the songs that were requested for me. But I am still looking for some free time to finish that stuff - I need to get some things off my plate first before I do my thing. I might bump this thread up when I update this thread next time. Though I will be mandated to show some new stuff and 'tangible' progress on my part as an excuse to get on top of this forum. I might also revive my blog since I'm already flooding the first post of this thread. Well, that's it for now. Thank you for those people who wasted some time to read these rants.

03-20-14:
The story is slowly moving. I was able to structure the path for one of the major characters, and that is a good thing. Four more characters to go. With this pacing, I understand now why some people take a lot of time in doing their projects. Work, life, hobbies, etc. are difficult to balance. And even though mine is not something of a masterpiece, I am a bit proud on what I have already accomplished. Keeping focused on a project that is nonprofitable for more than two months is already an achievement for me. On the NaNoReNo part, I'm already on the verge of completing my commitment. Anyway, that's about it for now.

03-15-14:
It has been more than 16 days since I last updated this thread. If somebody is still checking this out, thank you. No notable progress can be posted here as of today. However, it does not mean that I am not working on it. For the past few days, I have been working continuously on the story. Art and scripting are currently on halt. Alternatively, I am producing music and practicing my music making ability. Though I have not created BGMs for this story yet since I am still working on the NaNoReNo team that requested my help.

About the story, I cannot really provide an accurate measurement on how much I have written. I am currently focusing on building the world the story will be in and developing the characters that will be involved. Also, I am reading some materials about story building, story structuring, and screenplay writing.

If I were to estimate the number of words I have written, it is around 2,000 up to 4,000 words. Unfortunately, that quantity of text will not be added to the game. They only serve as a guideline or the backbone of the story that I am going to present. Anyway, I do not know if you are interested on those details, so I need to end it here. I will be back again after a few days.

02-27-14:
Yey. I'm finished with Miko's sketch. And it kinda sucks. As you can see, the coloring style for each of the characters are different. I'm testing out different ways on how to color them -- not really an expert when it comes to drawing. I tried to group them all in one file, I can say that quality of the drawings are far off from each other. Due to that, I only uploaded a group lineart. These sketches will serve as nice guides once I start creating miscellaneous art stuff for the game. And I might need to manually create new linearts for them to jive with each other using vector paths. I might need tons of practice to get a decent way of coloring my lineart.

Anyway, since character sketch is already out of the way, I will go back to my writing task. I feel that I can put more depth to my characters because I have a constant reference of their appearances (can't really trust my memory). I might slow down a bit since I need to finish more work next month and I will be joining NaNoReNo.

On a different note, I removed some of the unnecessary stuff and ramblings in this thread. I hope that after a few days, I can provide a decent description of the game and the story and of the characters.

02-24-14:
Story is currently on halt. I am planning on finishing the sketches first. The one I'm posting today is the protagonist's portrait. I had a hard time dealing with the sketch due to some technical errors. I had to redraw him multiple times due to those. And I was not happy with the result. But I'm already exhausted with him, so I'll post it here and proceed on other things. Miko's sketch is already finish, and all I need to do is polish his lineart and give him some lazy paint job. Also, I'll be redrawing Maria's portrait. After I'm done with those, I'll be back on scripting and writing.

On the other hand, I admit that the sketches have been very helpful in the story. While I was drawing them, their characters have become more 'tangible' and a bit 'convincing'. A few more push on the story and I'm sure I'll be able to provide a decent project, story, and character description. After that, I may revamp this thread. It has a lot of clutters to be honest. And I think progress will be slowed down due to NaNoReNo. I'll be creating background songs for a team. It's a nice practice for me since I am planning to create the BGM for my game also.

02-21-14:
Redrawn Olive to be up to par with the other sketches. I might redraw Maria, too.

02-20-14:
Uploaded the character sketch for Lily.

02-19-14:
No significant changes. Just uploaded an image for Olive and Maria.

02-13-14:
Posted the sketches for the main characters. All of them have the same poses; sorry if they seem rushed -- because they really are. LOL. Story is progressing quite well. Slow, but it is moving. I spent most of the time optimizing the game's script. I want to avoid dealing with a bloated and messy one in the future, which will be really hellish for me. That's it for now. If somebody is still checking this out, a big thanks to you.

Genre: Slice of Life, Romance, Comedy
Type: Boy Pursues Girl - Dating Simulation

Language: English
Start Date: February 6, 2014

Synopsis:
This is a story of a boy who was isolated from people for a long time. Due to his fervent will to live a normal life within society, he enrolled at college. He aims to discover what it feels like to interact with other people besides his father.

Main Characters:
Main Characters Sketch
Lily, Olive, Ben, Maria, and Miko

Main and Supporting Character Sketches
Note: Main Characters at First Row: Ben, Maria, Lily, Olive, and Miko. Ben's face was reverted back to his original design, which I did not post before. Most of the main characters were transformed a bit to look younger and not serious looking. On the other hand, Olive experienced drastic changes since her previous character design did not fit well with the cast. Previous face of Ben is located at row3:column3. I might use that design in the future. Row2:column3 is an alternate design for Lily whenever she puts her hair down. I might or might not introduce the other characters in this thread. In case you have any comments with my drawing or art style (if I do have a style), please do so. Thanks.
Ben: The protagonist in this story, and the one who will be controlled by the player. The game will revolve around his point of view. Ben is a social outcast not because he has some trouble dealing with people, it is just he was unable to communicate with them since he was young. Due to his disease, he was home schooled by his father, which was not always around. Fortunately, his disease started getting less worse though it was still challenging for him to experience a normal life. Nevertheless, due to his desire to live normally, he forced himself to attend college. And that is when his adventure began.
- - - - -
Miko: Classmate of the protagonist. Miko is a self sufficient student. He attends college during the day and works part time during the night. He chose to attend the college because it was located on the city where he thinks that he will find the thing or person he is looking for a long time.
- - - - -
Olive: Someone who knows the protagonist even before he entered college. Unfortunately, Ben does not remember her. Given that he had an isolated childhood, it was impossible for somebody to know him. Olive is a diligent student despite her looks and attitude. She is friendly and vibrant. However, she did not have a lot of friends, which Ben found weird.
- - - - -
Lily: A junior who is attending the same school. Lily is the school's student council, and she is the captain of the arnis club. She is highly regarded by all the people who know her, and she seems to be untouchable.
- - - - -
Maria: A weird girl who attends the same school. Maria is a quiet and timid girl. She seems to be frail. She tends to follow Ben around the campus, and Ben is scared and irritated at her demeanor towards her.
Project Status:

Lint Statistics:
The game contains 960 dialogue blocks, containing 7,386 words and 38,338
characters, for an average of 7.7 words and 40 characters per block.

The game contains 21 menus, 35 images, and 25 screens.

Minimum Word Count Target: 50,000
Maximum Word Count Target: 150,000
Completion Estimate According to Min Word Count: 14%

Game System: 53%

Story: 17.55%
Main Characters: 35.1%
  • Ben: 30%
    Miko: 0.8%
    Maria: 2.5%
    Olive: 3.3%
    Lily: 2.5%
Side Characters: 0%

Backdrops: 0%
Sprites: 10%
GUI: 3%
Sound Effects: 3%
BGM: 0%
Ambience: 2%
Last edited by thewriterjm on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:27 am, edited 43 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Decision Three [Tentative] [BxG] [Simulation] [WiP]

#2 Post by Googaboga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:05 am

Hey welcome to the site ^^. This seems like a pretty straightforward story and that can definitely be nice.

However I do hope that those backgrounds will just be placeholders because using copyrighted images from animes and random things from Google that you may or may not have any right to use is bad form. Even if the game is free that doesn't mean it is alright. And besides there are backgrounds out there that are free to use in VNs. Here is a list of some places to find backgrounds like that:
http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Pre-Made_Backgrounds

Also I'm not sure which Anime Character Generator you're using but hopefully it is one that allows the generated characters to be used in such a way. If not here is where you can find sprites that you are free to use:
http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Pre-Made_Sprites

I wish you the best of luck on your project and I hope it all works out :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

thewriterjm

#3 Post by thewriterjm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Googaboga wrote:Hey welcome to the site ^^. This seems like a pretty straightforward story and that can definitely be nice.

However I do hope that those backgrounds will just be placeholders because using copyrighted images from animes and random things from Google that you may or may not have any right to use is bad form. Even if the game is free that doesn't mean it is alright. And besides there are backgrounds out there that are free to use in VNs. Here is a list of some places to find backgrounds like that:
http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Pre-Made_Backgrounds

Also I'm not sure which Anime Character Generator you're using but hopefully it is one that allows the generated characters to be used in such a way. If not here is where you can find sprites that you are free to use:
http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Pre-Made_Sprites

I wish you the best of luck on your project and I hope it all works out :].
Thank you for replying. :)

Yeah; as of now, they serve as placeholders and 'basis' on how the locations on the game would look like. If ever I get somebody to do art for me or after I completed the story, that is the only time I will proceed on doing the backgrounds. As for the sprites or character images, I have already drawn them, but they still lack something that's why I have not posted them yet. And the legality stuff is making me hesitate on posting anything to be honest.

I read in the guide/posting policy here that I cannot post any link about possible illegal content. But the anime character generator I am talking about is the one that appears in the images section when you search the 'anime character generator' keyword on Google.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:32 am

I see. Well better safe than sorry. I'd say just keep trucking along for now. If you get most of the script/programming done and still have art that you aren't really supposed to be using you can look for an artist who is willing to help out. People are more willing to join projects that are have a lot done already :>.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

thewriterjm

#5 Post by thewriterjm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:18 am

Googaboga wrote:I see. Well better safe than sorry. I'd say just keep trucking along for now. If you get most of the script/programming done and still have art that you aren't really supposed to be using you can look for an artist who is willing to help out. People are more willing to join projects that are have a lot done already :>.
Thank you for those tips. I do hope that I can finish it. Anyway, posted some pics of the game, and supplemented it with some disclaimers.

thewriterjm

Re: Decision Three [Tentative] [BxG] [Simulation] [WiP] 04-2

#6 Post by thewriterjm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 am

Bump: Somehow a Major Small Updated Happeneds Lulz