Forget「not」that flower [BxG][Friendship/Romance/Drama] 23/03

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
.usa
Regular
Projects: Forget [not] that flower (hiatus)
Tumblr: bijuudama
Deviantart: meiayasaki

Forget「not」that flower [BxG][Friendship/Romance/Drama] 23/03

#1 Post by .usa »

あの花を忘れ「ない」- Ano hana wo wasure「nai」
"Forget「not」that flower"
Genre: Visual Novel, Friendship, Romance, Drama, Mystery

Story: Our protagonist and main character, Hibiki, is talking with a certain someone about an accident that take place 8 years ago when is hit by a car while walking home. When he wakes up in the hospital, a girl by his side suddenly hugs him, but, who's that girl? She, claiming herself as his "childhood friend", says she thought he would never wake up from coma. Due to coma's effects, he wasn't awake more than 10 minutes, so he went to sleep and rest. When he wakes up again, there's another girl by his side, this time the scene is almost the same, with the only difference of the girl with him. He realizes that whenever he wakes up he's on one of the girl's world, where the other one doesn't exist. With that on mind, his only though is "what is happening?" and, "why?".

Characters:

Hibiki ~
The protagonist. He stayed in coma for a week and lost memory because of it. Childhood friend of the twins.

Chiaki ~

Miuna ~

- If you didn't noticed, the twins' colours for hair and eyes are the opposites of the other one. Just keeping this as a design fun fact. -

Progress so far/Lint:
- Script: 20%
- Sprites: 20%
- CGs: 5%
- BGMs: -
- BGs: 100% (free sources)
Statistics:

The game contains 721 dialogue blocks, containing 6,122 words and 32,140
characters, for an average of 8.5 words and 45 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 109 images, and 12 screens.
Credits:
Sprites and designs: .usa (me)
Cgs: .usa (me)
Music: Free resources
Bgs: k-after

Questions:
Some questions to start with the thread, answer if you want.
- Since this is a BxG project, the protagonist will end up with one of the girls, for what you've seen here, which one would you choose?
- What do you think about the plot?
- Is it understandable? Sorry about this question, but I'm so bad at resuming so I had to ask.
- How do you think Hibiki will look like? Maybe an idea or two for him, if you answer this you'll have my eternal gratitude.
Last edited by .usa on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 16 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Forget「not」that flower [BxG] [Friendship/Romance/Drama]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Memories of Summer Winds also uses the idea of a main character who's been comatose for years, and who has to adjust to friends who've aged. Therefore, think about what will make your story both similar and different. How will your story benefit from comparisons?

The story could take place in just about any first world nation. If you're keeping the contemporary Japan setting, then make sure to do just enough research to avoid major errors, and to make sure the setting doesn't become a caricature. (Also, don't over-emphasize research... this should be a story, not an essay.) If you're willing to reconsider your setting, think about letting it happen in a place you have visited. Life in Spain might seem dull to you, but it could be quite interesting for people who've never lived there.

Do you want the main character to be a blank slate? Should he have an established personality? Or somewhere between the two -- the reader shapes his attitudes through choices?

.usa
Regular

#3 Post by .usa »

The only thing I can found similar from both are the main characters being comatose, but not even the time they stay in coma is the same.
While Memories of Summer Winds' main character has to adjust to his friends because of that four year time skip (aka coma), mine's have to figure out what's this "world switching" thing, and of course discover what happened of that accident so mentioned above (the plot is pretty centered on that). Although I'm pretty bad at making summaries, so I hope it can be more understandable when the demo is released (a really short demo, may be called prologue too).

Hmm... The truth is that I've never thought about where is this story placed, but I've always have that anime in Japan stereotype. But hey, thanks for mentioning it, maybe I can place it in Spain after all (but one thing is coming to my mind right now, the names are japanese, so maybe it seems strange to be placed in Spain?).

Yes! The idea is that this amnesia/memory lost things make him forget everything, how his personality was is included. So it can be like the reader is the protagonist and learn everything from Hibiki's point of view.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

- Since this is a BxG project, the protagonist will end up with one of the girls, for what you've seen here, which one would you choose?

Miuna. She sounds a little nicer. Plus I like her outfit and hairstyle better.

I think it sounds interesting. I like the sort of mystery element to it. I think it would have been a little cooler if there was technically only one girl and the other girl didn't exist when the world switched. But I do like what you have going on.

- Is it understandable? Sorry about this question, but I'm so bad at resuming so I had to ask.

I think I understand it. But maybe I'm actually taking things the wrong way 'XD.

- How do you think Hibiki will look like? Maybe an idea or two for him, if you answer this you'll have my eternal gratitude.

Well I don't really know what he's like but maybe he could have green eyes, light brown hair color, and a short/curly hair style. Or he could have brown eyes, reddish hair, and a semi-long/straight hair style.

Good luck on your project :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

.usa
Regular

#5 Post by .usa »

I think it would have been a little cooler if there was technically only one girl and the other girl didn't exist when the world switched.
That's one thing I forgot to mention because I thought it was more or less clear, but it's exactly how do you say!
Is like, in Miuna's world Chiaki doesn't exist, and in Chiaki's Miuna doesn't.

I thought it could be interesting, because while Chiaki would talk more easier about the accident and the world switching, Miuna wouldn't want to talk about it. Judging what the two of them say is how Hibiki (also the reader) will obtain the answers he needs and resolve the mistery.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

Oh I see. That's cool :]. I think it'd be better if you did mention that since it doesn't come across entirely right now C:
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

.usa
Regular

#7 Post by .usa »

Updating time ~
I finished the sprites with school uniforms:

Chiaki's

And Miuna's

I wasn't happy with the other designs so I changed the outfits, and now I love them *-*

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#8 Post by Duskylli »

Awesome sprites!

Ah I can't decide they're both interesting in their own way.

I like the idea of unravelling the mystery behind the world switching. Are the two worlds quite different? Sounds like you're going to mess with Hibiki's head a lot xD

Yep.

Well seeing as he's in hospital I think he'd wake up with messy bed hair with a sleepy/confused expression. And since your drawing style is really cute I think he'd be cute with thick framed glasses too big for his face.

I also like the idea of it being set in Spain. Will it be too hard to change their names? But if a Japanese setting is what you really create then go for it. The important thing is that you create what you want to create. Have fun!

Omniknight
Veteran

#9 Post by Omniknight »

"World Switching"......?!?!

*Rushes off to dev forums to declare an emergency*

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

#10 Post by snowflakes »

Since I'm spanish too and my english sucks, i'm going to answer your questions in spanish.

Bueno, yo normalmente tengo preferencia por los personajes tsunderes, así que me obviamente elegiría a Chiaki, me gusta su personalidad. Pero he de decir que me llama mucho la atención también Miuna, parece muy dulce y adorable!
Bueno, la verdad esque no está muy detallado y aún encima mi inglés es penoso. Pero por lo que he leído, me gusta. Es un BxG que tiene además una historia trascendente, me refiero a que la parte de la historia es importante. Hay muchos juegos de este tipo en los que sólo se centran en la parte amorosa, pero me parece que este tiene además una historia interesante y que te mete mucho en el juego.
A ver, entendible es, pero esque está poco detallado. Me imagino que no querrás decir más cosas de la historia para no hacer spoilers y tal, pero si pudieses dar más detalles sería genial! La verdad esque me interesa bastante tu proyecto
Mmmm... A ver... Pues me lo imagino con ojos verdes claros, y con el pelo marrón claro un poco anaranjado. Nosé, no soy buena con las descripciones xD
Y por cierto, me encantan los sprites. Muy elaborados y cuquis*-*

Buena Suerte~! =^.^=

.usa
Regular

#11 Post by .usa »

UPDATE 23-02-2014

Finally came up with an idea for Hibiki, it wasn't what I first thought of him, I guess is because of all the idea you guys had, thanks.
Here's Hibiki design (not the final design, just a sketch!):
He looks so innocent ~
Duskylli wrote:- What do you think about the plot?
I like the idea of unravelling the mystery behind the world switching. Are the two worlds quite different? Sounds like you're going to mess with Hibiki's head a lot xD
The two worlds have a big-little thing different, but that's a major spoiler :3 .
Omniknight wrote:"World Switching"......?!?!

*Rushes off to dev forums to declare an emergency*
I... I don't think I understand what you mean o_o"...
snowflakes wrote:- What do you think about the plot?
Bueno, la verdad esque no está muy detallado y aún encima mi inglés es penoso. Pero por lo que he leído, me gusta. Es un BxG que tiene además una historia trascendente, me refiero a que la parte de la historia es importante. Hay muchos juegos de este tipo en los que sólo se centran en la parte amorosa, pero me parece que este tiene además una historia interesante y que te mete mucho en el juego.
Hmm, I'll try and detail it a little more in the next updates, thank you. Yeah, the story part is the important thing, it being a BxG is secundary, you can even consider it more like affect than actual love.
Spanish here:
Hmmm, intentaré detallarlo más en la próxima actualización, gracias ^^. Sí, la verdad es que la parte de la historia es lo importante, el hecho de que sea un BxG es algo secundario, además, puedes considerarlo más como cariño que amor xD.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#12 Post by Duskylli »

Adorable Hibiki design! <3

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

#13 Post by snowflakes »

Hibiki <33333333333333333333333333333 *¬*

.usa
Regular

#14 Post by .usa »

UPDATE 28-02-2014

Actualized the character's profiles, now they have a little description and a sample of 4 of the expressions they have (Miuna has 56 expressions, Chiaki's still at 25. I'm doing more as I need them).

I'm glad to show you all the first capture of the game!
Still have a long way to go, but is something! Miuna's part of the prologue is done, being Chiaki's the remain one. (Also I need to finish the CGs there, they're on the sketch phase right now, and the BG, I'm using Uncle Mugen's one, still learning about SketchUp).

Actualized the status/progress of everything in the first post.

Chiaki and Miuna are going to have 4 outfits, being the school uniform one of them.
Thinking about making an sprite for Hibiki (headshot, appearing in the side of the text box). What do you think about it?

.usa
Regular

#15 Post by .usa »

UPDATE 15-03-2014

Re-made the game from the very start since I didn't liked it that much (dialogues and such, the story plot is intact), also I'm not gonna draw the BGs anymore, I found a really awesome ones that fits the sprites nicely.

Also I now have a really early demo for you all! It's barely 2,8k words if my memory doesn't fails me, it should take about 15 minutes to finish playing it, so I would very be glad if you could try it!

And, why am I releasing a very short demo like this? Easy, I truly believe my writing skills sucks in a very dissapointing way for me. I already noticed that dialogues were unbelievably hard for me, but now I really understand how hard is to be a writer actually. Anyway, this demo is for those who play it to tell me how it goes, I want honest critique, but please, don't be so hard with me ;w;

Anyway, here is the link: https://mega.co.nz/#!IgwFjbSK!QRH-Vh0Wu ... fhA6GYXuNE

Demo things you should know:
- Lack of CGs
- Chiaki's sprite isn't there (needs to be fixed so it wasn't included in this demo)
- Ugly doctor sprite (I'll draw him better, eventually because he just appear at the hospital -like 4 scenes-)
Last edited by .usa on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.