Zoideah's Fantasy VN Project! (Working title)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Zoideah

Zoideah's Fantasy VN Project! (Working title)

#1 Post by Zoideah »

First of all, let me say that this game isn't even a quarter of the way done yet. What I'm looking for right now is feedback. How do you like my art? What do you think of the characters? What would you like to see in a VN? I'll continue to update this post as I come up with more ideas.

You can help shape the game! All suggestions are welcome.

Genre: Fantasy, light Comedy, perhaps.
For ages: 13+, maybe 15+ (No eroge.)
Genders: Both. I want both males and females to play this game and enjoy it.
Main character concepts: Still working here. I will have two main characters, one male and one female. You pick who you want to play at the start of the game, and each character has different views of the same story.
Captures: I plan to have 4-5 female captures and 4-5 male captures. What would like to see here? goth-lolita? Demons? Spellcasters? I'm open to any suggestions.

/Art/
BGs: 1/??
Character Sketches: 4/??
CGs: 2 planned so far/??
Character Models:

---

Note: All character sketches are just that: sketches. The very base of the character design. Costume & hairstyles may be subject to change. ALSO: I've been known to scrap characters I don't like and start from scratch. Beware. XD

Character #1: Tobi

Design: I wanted him to be one of the cute, younger characters. Moe~
Backstory: In progress. >>
Race: Elf.
Personality: Upbeat and kind. Always looking out for others. Hides a deep secret...?

Input?
Last edited by Zoideah on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ivlivs
Veteran

Re: Zoideah's Fantasy VN Project! (Working title)

#2 Post by Ivlivs »

...that was a guy?

Anyhow, the design's not bad. A little more detail, a little less androgyny (unless that was the point), and maybe tone down the buggy eyes a little and you're good to go. I'm not saying to make him look like Guts from Berserk, I just think less moe would improve it, that's all.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

Zoideah

#3 Post by Zoideah »

Ivlivs wrote:...that was a guy?

Anyhow, The design's not bad. A little more detail, a little less androgyny (unless that was the point), and maybe tone down the buggy eyes a little and you're good to go. I'm not saying to make him look like Guts from Berserk, just less moe, that's all.
Androgyny is indeed the point. I was really going for the moe look... guess I achieved it. XD

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#4 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I want Bishonen, strong and non-stereotype girls, and gothloli.

Nonstereotypic= Does not care about appearence and does not act "sexy". Please have her rescue a bishonen!

Bishonen=Tobi. Fixed!

Goth-loli=MEEP

Tobi-chan wa Kawaii!

I'd be happy if the girl could stand on her own legs. Make her uppity, or messy!
Last edited by Sailor Kitty on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

Nice sketch. I like the little details on the costume. The right hand could use some fixing. Also Tobi = girl.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Good design :). Good luck on the two protagonists and 10(!) captureable people though ô_o;;...
I like originality myself so I really wouldn't mind varied characters : a cute witch, a brash woodland young man, a mischievous demoness, a very bishie librarian... stuff like that. It'd be neat if I could appreciate the male characters even though I'm a male myself... and vice versa for girls playing.

Other than that... how would it play? VN with choices and branching? More a sim-hybrid? RPG-like?

Zoideah

#7 Post by Zoideah »

monele wrote:Good design :). Good luck on the two protagonists and 10(!) captureable people though ô_o;;...
I like originality myself so I really wouldn't mind varied characters : a cute witch, a brash woodland young man, a mischievous demoness, a very bishie librarian... stuff like that. It'd be neat if I could appreciate the male characters even though I'm a male myself... and vice versa for girls playing.

Other than that... how would it play? VN with choices and branching? More a sim-hybrid? RPG-like?
You're in luck~ I have both a cute witch apprentice and her bishie tutor planned.

As for play-style, I plan use a VN-style branching story. Certain answers will appeal only to certain characters, and certain actions might scare them off. 10 captures... ^^; It really won't be that difficult. I enjoy drawing; designing characters is my favorite part. <3

Now for the next question: As I've said before, the game will have two main characters. They will have backstories and personalities of their own. What kind of main character would you all like to play?

Zoideah

#8 Post by Zoideah »

Sailor Kitty wrote:I want Bishonen, strong and non-stereotype girls, and gothloli.

Nonstereotypic= Does not care about appearence and does not act "sexy". Please have her rescue a bishonen!

Bishonen=Tobi. Fixed!

Goth-loli=MEEP

Tobi-chan wa Kawaii!

I'd be happy if the girl could stand on her own legs. Make her uppity, or messy!
Don't worry. I'm a girl myself-- I hate those awful stereotypes. =_=

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

You're in luck~ I have both a cute witch apprentice and her bishie tutor planned.
Neat! ^_^

And I was not so much worried about the drawings/designs than about the content... story and stuff :).

As for the protagonists... if they're going to have a backstory, maybe they'll also have a predetermined behavior too? Just make sure the player can root for them and think of them as his/her avatar.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

So, er, what kind of game would I want to play within the genres of fantasy and comedy? Let me think for a second...

First, since I was (and in many ways, still am) a total fanboy for console RPGs, I'd say look at some of those games and mess around with their ideas. For instance, in Chrono Trigger there's a character named Lucca who is a geeky inventor, a caring person, a decent combatant, and a "childhood friend" type for the protagonist. What if this sort of person was the protagonist?

Second, I was sort of into pencil-and-paper RPGs for a while, so I know some of those cliches. If you like those sorts of games, then look at sample campaigns or spinoff novels to get a few ideas.

Third, a recommendation: don't try to make an epic story. I know many games which tried to have long, intricate stories... and which became too long-winded.

I know I've been vague. But if you really want a specific idea, then consider the following: a story about two or three people who have been recruited by a villain to kill the hero before he saves the world. The twist -- these people aren't especially talented, or evil.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#11 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I'd like to see a water-magic-wielding girl who's really hyper. Preferrably hotpink hair, kinda short.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#12 Post by papillon »

I'd like to see a water-magic-wielding girl who's really hyper. Preferrably hotpink hair, kinda short.
(heh, now you make me want to write elemental mages where the Water girl is really tempestuous and the Fire girl is all about gentle warmth, just to confuse people...)

Daggio
Regular

#13 Post by Daggio »

The sketch is good although I can't tell that he is a boy in the first place (man, I thought he was a girl ^^; )

having to be able to choose whether you want to play as a boy or as a girl is a nice idea, I like that.

um..I can't give any suggestion at the moment, but I have a request....draw a spellcaster-girl-with-glasses please ^^