Deja Vu [Concept]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Electronicmaji

Deja Vu [Concept]

#1 Post by Electronicmaji »

Some days I see things...
...some nights I dream things...
...and with those dreams...
...comes a sense of...
Deja Vu

Deja Vu is a stream of consciousness styled VN. It tells the story of a yet to named protaganist who has dreams and visions of other lifes he can not explain. Within a night as he sleeps he may have a dream where he lives out a whole other life in extreme vivdness. The story line begins with his own conflicts and examination of reality following his dream. He eventually researches things he remembers from those dreams and visions. He discovers that his dreams each are connected to real life experiences of figures who actually existed. In a attempt to find answers he turns to a buddhist monastery and asks several monks about reincarnation. That is where the true story begins

-----What follows this line is somewhat of a spoiler-----

Eventually the protaganist; using a web of connecting figures from all his memories tracks down a high official of the budhist religion who explains the truth behind reincarnation to him. He discovers of a secret organization in the top echelons of the goverment that has a lot of knowledge about these events. Looking for the truth he infiltrates the organization named S.T.I.G.M.A. Within this organization he begins to climb the ranks searching for a true link to his past life. While there he meets people he remembers from his past life including a person who served as many past lovers.

-----------spoilers stop-------------

I'm hoping to turn this into a 3 story saga. In this first part the Protaganist finds out about these memories and finds out about the goverment organization studying and researching the area, works for them, and falls in love with his many time lover. In the second part of the story he continues to research these memories and travels to a deep underwater city where he finds a strange machine. He eventually activates it and uses it to travel to either the past or parallel dimensions entering the worlds of his dreams and getting stuck between them. In the third part of the saga he escapes the parallel dimensions back to his own world after discovering the truth behind the whole ordeal.

I am a writer. So naturally I'm looking at wiritng the script. But I still need a programmer and artist to assist me. Anyways if your interested drop a line here...

BellosTheMighty
Regular

Re: Deja Vu [Concept]

#2 Post by BellosTheMighty »

Electronicmaji wrote: I am a writer. So naturally I'm looking at wiritng the script. But I still need a programmer and artist to assist me. Anyways if your interested drop a line here...
Join the club, man. Damn near everyone looking for a partner is a writer who can't draw. ^_^

Seriously, though, if you like it, go for it. My recommendation is to treat it like an illustrated novel- Write everything first, then once it's done go looking for an artist- you'll have a better idea of exactly what you need.

Oh, and find a new name. "Deja Vu" is also the name of a rather famous NES adventure game, as well as a recent Denzel Washington movie...
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by musical74 »

There should be a club...*Hi my name is XXXXX and I can't draw worth a darn*

I agree with Bellos on changing the name...I have the Deja Vu game for the NES and know full well about the movie...while it's unlikely that either would go after you, better safe than sorry.

Having said that, the idea sounds good, and I agree with Bellos on the *get script written first*. Artists are far more likely to join you when you have a finished script VS a script that's half done or *this is the general idea, but haven't gotten a script worked out yet*. Last thing an artist wants to hear is *oh, we decided against using X picture* when the artist spent hours on the picture...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

yvanc
Regular

#4 Post by yvanc »

Cool concept, I'll be rooting for you. Speaking from artist's point of view, I totally agree that the script should be finished cause there might be some changes in the idea at the middle of the development so we don't want to waste sketching something which won't be used anyway. Hope for the success of your project. ^_~

Hypertoast

#5 Post by Hypertoast »

Being and artist here I also agree. Drawing for an unfinished story is nothing but trouble. Though if you are ever finished the script I'll be willing to help.
I'm an artist who can only draw girls. Contact me if you are interested.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#6 Post by JQuartz »

Electronicmaji wrote:I am a writer. So naturally I'm looking at wiritng the script. But I still need a programmer and artist to assist me. Anyways if your interested drop a line here...
There is a number of sites offering free arts if you can't find anyone to draw for you. You can see a list of them here
http://renpy.org/wiki/community/Resource_Links

You don't really need a programmer since Ren'Py(You are using Renpy,right?) is really easy to learn. In fact its pretty counter productive to have someone else as programmer. If you do the programming yourself instead of communicating with your programmer, you might actually save time.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#7 Post by Der Tor »

How about calling it "Time and Again" ?

I can't really help you with artwork or programming, but i would love to help you with the story, since i know a lot of the background you would need to keep such a story realistic and prevent it from becoming cheesy.