Crime • Scene (Mystery, Horror, Thriller)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Muzozavr
Regular

Re: Crime • Scene (Mystery, Horror, Thriller)

#31 Post by Muzozavr »

Long time no see. Haven't been on this forum a long time ago myself, but is this project still active? I loved YiN and, if this is still a thing, I'm really looking forward to Crime Scene. That story flowchart looks amazingly complicated -- what program are you using to plan these flowcharts?

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#32 Post by Rossfellow »

It's still ongoing. Just that OP is currently moving to another city. There'll probably be more when she gets settled down.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Mirrowdothack
Regular
Completed: The Iron Heart Witch
Projects: Y;N, Crime•Scene

#33 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Thx Ross^^

Yeah, I was moving to a new city and had some real life things going on but I'm now back on this project. I figured out some nice things I can do with Ren'Py for this game.
I'm gonna tell/show you soon.

@ Muzozavr: The programm I used is "DiagramDesigner" a freeware programm. I't pretty nice to get an overview. I'm absolutely in love with this project so I'm not quitting it. ^^ I'm sure if you enjoey Y;N u'll have a good time with CS (once I'm done OTL). But I'm going to post more regular now that the moving thing is done (at least I hope so OTL)

Anyways, thank u guy so much for staying with me. I'm doing my very best ^^
My games:
Image Image

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#34 Post by Mirrowdothack »

As promised - a little wip

things testet are:

1) walk via point and click, incl. parralax effect:
you can walk around and the camera will follow you character.

2) getting a (dummy)-sub menu to look at or interact with someting:
hold down the left mouse button at a light (dummy) to trigger the sub menu. choose to look at something or to interact/talk with it/a person

3) speech bubbles *wuhuuu

4) animation: walk cycle, idle

5) first blender assets

Man, it took me a while to get this far (and a lot of research and "code hacking", but I "convinced" Taka to walk around. I'm really happy that I can tell my story this way, although it will cost much more time, brain, art and coding, but who cares XD (this is going to be one of those the-author-has-no-real-life-anymore-projects, isn't it ^^")

Those interface grafics are just placeholders. I'm gonna make something nice here. Maybe I should make a video to show you the controls. It might be easier to understand it when u can see it in action^^
My games:
Image Image

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#35 Post by Mirrowdothack »

The plot ist slowly progressing, but it is.
The more I think about some parts, the more I have the think them over, like: "Wait. If that happend, then what about this and that? Will this make any sense?" And then I start to bang my head against a wall XD

Anyways, I just wanted to ask u guys, how do you organize your story?
I have thousand of sheets of paper laying around in my appartment and some notes are on my pc as well. I'm currently using yWriter to organize my stuff, but it's so much XD I feel like I'm some kind of a clutterer ...

Anyways #2,
Her's a totally random Charon scriblle in C•S style for u:
(yay, a picture XD)
charon.jpg
My games:
Image Image

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#36 Post by LizardRobot »

What do you expect from this game after reading this post?
I generally avoid making any expectations, because I think making expectations as a player is a mistake. If you don't make expectations, then you can't be disappointed because of a misconception. I don't have any expectation based on this game's decription, but I did go and play Y;N and I liked that game, so I would expect to like this one.

Do you like the concept idea?
I do! Being able to play as multiple characters is really enticing.

Does it sound interesting to you?
Yes, mostly because of the playing as multiple characters angle. I also really like the title, though I wonder how it ties to the setup described. (I know, the protag is a cop, but the game's backstory/genre isn't what I would expect from that sort of a title!) Normally I wouldn't be interested in this kind of setting/plot setup, but because I liked what you did with Y;N, it interests me to see you explore another dark and strange setting.

When you're done reading, are there any questions which come to your mind? Something you want this game and its story to answer?
I would want to know why the people would be quarantined, why that response would make sense. The people in the region can't die naturally, but they can die from unnatural causes, like accidents? So is it really such a terrible illness? But then the quote at the top makes it sound like they can't die at all. I want to know what the golden rules are, and why immortality is an illness, and what is the Tower of Babel. Is it literally a tower?

Do you like the art style so far?
Yes, very much so! It's very clean and I like the characters' designs.

RedOwl
Regular
Projects: < /reality >
Tumblr: realityvn

#37 Post by RedOwl »

What do you expect from this game after reading this post?
Hard to say, exactly - but I do expect some interesting mysteries and plot twists surrounding the reason for the tower of babels' existence and it's effects on this town.

Do you like the concept idea?
Does it sound interesting to you?
Yes, and yes! I'm always interested in stories revolving around unwanted immortality - I think it's a fascinating subject. And, it sounds like you are approaching the idea in a novel way and with some very appealing characters as well. I also enjoy stories with multiple protagonists and multiple perspectives, so that's a plus as well.

When you're done reading, are there any questions which come to your mind? Something you want this game and its story to answer?
I will definitely be hoping to hear definitive answers to what seems like the main mystery right now - what is the tower of babel, where did it come from, and how or why does it work? However, whether I end up satisfied with a story or not is truly all in the execution. If you had a really, really well done character drama within this setting, with a great conclusion, I may not even care if you never answered these big questions. However, if you are focusing more on the mystery itself, I will be disappointed not to hear the answers.

Do you like the art style so far?
Yep! The characters look adorable and nicely designed. I also like the animated logo.

One bit of feedback on the art I'll offer - I like the subway scene you've got a few posts above, however it does seem as though the chairs are a bit large in proportion to the character? If you check out some reference, such as this photo, it may be more obvious to you. In that photo, for example, the top of the chair comes up to a little below the woman's shoulder height (while sitting). If your character were to sit in one of the chairs, the top of the chairs would be well over his shoulder height... which even accounting for chair variation, seems out of scale.

Last piece of feedback: I think it was already mentioned in this thread, but I was a bit thrown off by the title of the game. The premise seems a lot more interesting and unique than the title suggests. "Crime Scene" brings to mind a modern/not supernatural run-of-the-mill police/crime investigation type story. But I think the concept you're going with is a lot more unusual than that.

I noticed it's been a while since you've updated this thread... are you still working on the game? I hope so! I will definitely look forward to playing it if/when it comes out. Good luck! :)
~Please give me Honest Critique!~

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#38 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Hi there,
First of: Yeah I am awefully slow, but I'm definately working on the project: (nearly every day). I focus on the plot, but sometime I can't progress ans other days it works just fine. Since there are many characters who wants to tell their story and since it's a mystery novel I want each piece to fit in order to solve the final riddle.
(Y;N was so much smaller XD)
I relly love this project, and I want to tell the story of those characters in my head. But since I'm still working on the plot, I can't show you so much (I'm sorry: I so slow T^T. I wish I was faster)

About the title: Yeah, you might be right, that its not fitting. So I decide to make it the project name and decide about it in the end, when I'm done with the plot. So many things are going on in my head right now and the characters do evolve in directions that I did not see coming (they make me write their story, I do not own anything XD)

Anyway, I decided to progress like this:

plot
basic programming to decide how to present the gameplay
art
programming
art
programming
art
programming
probably changing things about the plot
art
programming
remembering to find sounds & music
art
programming
actually looking for sounds and music
artgramming

something like this
I'm so structured XD

btw: If you have good tipp for me that might help me to progress faster on my plot, let me know^^
btw2: @all: those answers you gave me are very helpful for me as well. So thank u^^
btw3: @ RedOwl: yeah you're totally right about the propotion. I'll fixe this later
My games:
Image Image

tyciol

#39 Post by tyciol »

Is this project a visual novel? I don't see it at https://vndb.org/p4752

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#40 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Yeah, it's going to be a vn with adventure elements.
It probably isn't listed there, since it's not done yet.^^
My games:
Image Image