Sedatophobia [Mystery][Horror]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Sedatophobia [Mystery][Horror]

#46 Post by Mad Harlequin »

#1's not bad. I rank it second, after #4. As for #2, I can understand the appeal of the longish hair, but it doesn't seem to work on this guy. Maybe if he pulled it back . . .
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#47 Post by Rinima »

Rossfellow wrote:I was leaning towards #1 myself. I had thought that the "FBI Agent" look was a nice fit to the character. The rest of the team seem to love #2 a lot, though.
Well, I guess it depends on his personality.
#1 reminds me of Phoenix Wright, so if he's like Phoenix right, go for that one
#2 reminds me of Mizuki out of Naruto, so if he's an evil bastard, go for that one XD
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#48 Post by Rossfellow »

Edit on the opening post. Added a cover illus and updated the logo. Next update introduces the cast. Much appreciation for looking forward to it!
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

SinnyROM
Regular
Projects: Blue Birth
Organization: Cosmic Static Games

#49 Post by SinnyROM »

I'm an avid fan of Lovecraftian horror, so thank you for giving an update on your game! Your premise is intriguing and your visual assets are lovely and moving along well. Looking forward for completion.

If it's not too late I want to case my vote for hair #1 and #4, they both look fitting for him.

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#50 Post by MomoiroGirl »

I wanted to bookmark this project as soon as I saw the picture in the first post, and once I read the description, I was sold! I can identify with the main character, so this should be interesting! :D

Rossfellow
Veteran

#51 Post by Rossfellow »

Thanks for stopping by. :)

As promised, I'll be introducing the first of the main cast, Mimi.

A senior from New Vasilievsky, Mimi dreams of joining the Research Department.
She is always seen with earphones plugged, earning her a reputation as an unattentive audiophile among her schoolmates.
ImageImage
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#52 Post by AsHLeX »

Wow!! How could it have taken me this long to find this?
Love the concept, the BG's are especially awesome and detailed!
Definitely a game that I would look forward to!
Like the music, like the art... (Pretty much like everything)
All the best!!! I'll be looking forward to the demo.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Rossfellow
Veteran

#53 Post by Rossfellow »

Now we're trying to decide where the school patch should go.

http://sta.sh/09c4riq6mgh

http://sta.sh/022a9uy4zoag
ImageImage

Rossfellow
Veteran

#54 Post by Rossfellow »

Some test pages. Decided to use a basic KN format. Tentative font aside, this is pretty close to how it should look.

http://sta.sh/0ztkom7md0p
http://sta.sh/02g1vhnhkicr
ImageImage

Pick_One
Regular

#55 Post by Pick_One »

I like horror and mystery, particularly the psychological kind. Sometimes I do think being left with your own thoughts could be quite dangerous.

The title catches my attention and I think the themes that will be explore are interesting. I'm curious about Mimi's condition and what's going on, as well as what she will find or who she will find.

Some of the concept art idea and monsters are well drawn and if done right, could be creepy. The sprites look nice and by their character design, I could figure out their basic personality. Also the outfit design is cute. The background arts are pretty nice. I think having the game take place in a medical type of setting is good for upping the horror.

The music sounds good.

As for the placement of the school patch, I choose either the first or second. If you like, I guess I could explain what little reasons I had for coming to such results. ^^;

Can't wait to try out the demo. :)

mysticichigo
Regular

#56 Post by mysticichigo »

Dark plotlines are always great, and this sounds like a very unique idea! I'm not very well-versed in Lovecraftian horror, but hopefully that won't hinder my enjoyment of the game.

Quick question: Is there going to be music for this? I feel like it could be more effective if there were none.

Rossfellow
Veteran

#57 Post by Rossfellow »

mysticichigo wrote:Quick question: Is there going to be music for this? I feel like it could be more effective if there were none.
There will be both music and ambient sound, like a regular KN/VN. The concept of "Silence" is a fairly loose interpretation in this story.

Anyway, I'm back from a fairly long break. Further updates will be put into a proper WIP thread. Meanwhile, here's a small preview of the main cast's design.
Attachments
SPCast.png
ImageImage

mysticichigo
Regular

#58 Post by mysticichigo »

Gah, everything looks great! I have no constructive criticism or anything to offer!

sicklesium
Regular
Projects: Solemn Dirge
Organization: Virus Alpha Studios
Tumblr: keiyuh

#59 Post by sicklesium »

Her name is pretty funny - will that come into play? Or is that a spoiler? ;)

Everything looks so cool though. Quite a unique plotline. Looking very forward to it, especially since I have the namesake~

Rossfellow
Veteran

#60 Post by Rossfellow »

sicklesium wrote:Her name is pretty funny - will that come into play? Or is that a spoiler? ;)

Everything looks so cool though. Quite a unique plotline. Looking very forward to it, especially since I have the namesake~
Bit of a funny story about that. This actually didn't start out as a visual novel, but as a 2D sidescrolling puzzle game.

You are placed in a grid map. Another entity is also placed in the grid map. For every step you take, this entity takes two. You have to make it to point B before it catches you.

http://sta.sh/026vqw24jgj0

Back then, the characters were caricatures rather than having actual stories. "Mimi" was the main playable character whose hearing acted like a radar. Unfortunately for her, even as the project shifted drastically (I couldn't figure out how the levels/stages would work), her name stuck, bringing the irony with it. :P
ImageImage