Sedatophobia [Mystery][Horror]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

Re: Sedatophobia [Mystery][Horror]

#16 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

So I have been getting into horror stories lately and I find this very interesting. I really love the logo! :) The story is intriguing and I can't wait to see what you have for the art.
ImageImage

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#17 Post by Rossfellow »

The prologue is "playable" now and fully scripted, but the assets are delayed until after Animefest2014. I'm contemplating just keeping the demo at the prologue or go for a complete first chapter.

After which I'll finally be able to move this from the Ideas forum to the WiP. I look forward to it too.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#18 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Having read my fair share of Lovecraft, I'm rather interested in this. But I'm hoping to see something Lovecraftian that isn't Cthulhu-related. :lol:
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rossfellow
Veteran

#19 Post by Rossfellow »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Having read my fair share of Lovecraft, I'm rather interested in this. But I'm hoping to see something Lovecraftian that isn't Cthulhu-related. :lol:
It's not Cthulhu Mythos related. It's simply written in the classic Lovecraftian mystery format and carries the underlying principles of Cosmic Horror... Seen from the eyes of a cute anime girl.

Oops. My fetish is showing.
ImageImage
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.

Mirrowdothack
Regular
Completed: The Iron Heart Witch
Projects: Y;N, Crime•Scene

#20 Post by Mirrowdothack »

This project sounds so exciting. Love the whole concept *____*
The logo is pretty cool and the concept arts is absolutely lovely.
Can't wait to play the demo ♥
My games:
Image Image

Rossfellow
Veteran

#21 Post by Rossfellow »

Assets coming together... This is what sprites look like before I lightbox over them.

http://sta.sh/01g58xalizws

As well as a few BGs
http://sta.sh/0yr7khgiy1m
http://sta.sh/0vi5p3zp6u5
ImageImage

RedVampyr
Regular
Projects: Punk Vampire
Organization: Red Vampyr Games
Tumblr: redvampyr

#22 Post by RedVampyr »

I like your BG work!
Digital artist and game developer.
I am open for commissions

Rossfellow
Veteran

#23 Post by Rossfellow »

RedVampyr wrote:I like your BG work!
The backgrounds for this project are done by another artist. Credit where credit is due. http://sapphire-feather.deviantart.com/gallery/

She's currently working on a comic for Anifest, so further BG work will be delayed til after it's over.
Mirrowdothack wrote:This project sounds so exciting. Love the whole concept *____*
The logo is pretty cool and the concept arts is absolutely lovely.
Can't wait to play the demo ♥
Hearing this from you first thing in the morning so makes my day. I don't even have a proper emoticon to express that.
Milkymalk wrote:I so want to play this... as a years-long fan of Lovecraft's stories I approve of this project!
I'm new to Lovecraft, I've only read a handful so far. I'm not writing about the Mythos, but I hope you enjoy my little effort to pen a Lovecraftian mystery story.
ImageImage

Rossfellow
Veteran

#24 Post by Rossfellow »

For anyone curious, this is what they tend to look like after lightboxing.
Attachments
Mimibase1full.jpg
ImageImage

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#25 Post by Milkymalk »

The problem with knowing practically all works about the Mythos is that not much can still surprise me, so if anything it's a plus that Sedatophobia is not about the Mythos, but only takes its inspiration from it.

You have a firm grasp on your personal drawing style. That's good; I don't, so I'm too dependent on our projects' illustrators putting out results regularly, which has proven unreliable. It's good to see that this won't be a problem here :-)
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

RedVampyr
Regular
Projects: Punk Vampire
Organization: Red Vampyr Games
Tumblr: redvampyr

#26 Post by RedVampyr »

When I think Lovecraftian, I don't even really think of the Mythos. I think more of the themes of the alien and the unknown and how unimportant and fragile Humankind is compared to the unknown and alien. That's what I find to be frightening about the writings of Lovecraft.

I really hope this game captures that, I think this project is going to be something special and stand out heads and shoulders above other visual novels. I am very optimistic about Sedatophobia. :)
Digital artist and game developer.
I am open for commissions

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#27 Post by Mirrowdothack »

She looks so awesome.
I can't wait to see a colored version ♥

About the Lovecraft-thing. I have to admit I only know little about it. I have read one or two things. But I guess this story will simply take the way Lovecraft uses fear and the unknown theme etc. as an inspiration. I don't really expect Cthulhu to appear here (although it might be "funny" XD *just kidding^^"). I'm just totally interessted in this project's storyline
My games:
Image Image

Rossfellow
Veteran

#28 Post by Rossfellow »

Okay, here's the deal.

I have enough assets to put out the prologue (around 5-10 minutes of reading) as a playable demo. However, as mentioned, it's very short. My plan is to release chapter-by-chapter (around 30-40 mins each, 8-10k words average), for a total of about 7 chapters. However, my BG artist won't be returning until after Rose City Comic Con, so the assets beyond the prologue will be frozen until early October and will probably be finished months after that.

Should I just focus on releasing the prologue as a demo for now, or take some more time and finish the first chapter first?

Meanwhile, I'll be sharing the main theme, composed by Parusa.
ImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#29 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Go ahead and finish the first chapter. It'll give us more to experience and it'll make receiving feedback easier on you.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#30 Post by Mirrowdothack »

I am totally in love with this piece of music.
It sounds pretty cool^^

If you want to give your audience a first impression you can release the prologue (some sot of a trailler-demo). But if you don't feel like your project shoudl be published at that state, then we can wait^^

About releasing your project chapter by chapter: If you have your whole story / plot / script done now and your are sure your don't need to change anything, then that's pretty fine by me^^. But if your are still working on it, you may think about this: If your story proceeds and at one point you notice that you need to change something or to add something in an earlier chapter (which was already released), then your might have a problem, since the chapters were already read by some people who might miss that important piece of information.
Last edited by Mirrowdothack on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My games:
Image Image