Truffle! [GxB][School life, Romance, Cooking?]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

Truffle! [GxB][School life, Romance, Cooking?]

#1 Post by Akitsuki »

Okay so this is my first time posting about the VN I'm currently working on. Because I'm doing it so slow, I'm still not sure I'll constantly working on this so, yep. I'm deciding this will be a one-person project (and I'll use free resources for backgrounds and musics), but maybe I'll ask for help for proofreading in the end since my English is weird LOL. I'll try to, uh, find out how to work with ren'Py. Since this is my first game, I'll try to make a light and short story first.

Updates:
- July 24, 2014; Searon's design finished.
- July 27, 2014; Logo's added.
- July 29, 2014; Reka's design finished.
- August 2, 2014; Kio's sample sprite added.
- August 6, 2014; Searon's sample sprite added.

Story
You play as Kio, your average high school girl whose forte is cooking, especially in sweets and desserts. Every year she would challenge herself to make a specific sweet and it has to be the best one. So this year's Valentine's, Kio decides to make the best chocolate she'd ever make in a week! But when Mara, her best friend, asks her whom she's going to give the chocolate to, Kio realizes she's not in love with anyone. As she tries to fulfill her own challenge, will she be able to find love around her?

Characters

Kio (17) (read as kee-yo) | “I’m making the best Valentine’s chocolate ever!”
The main character. She's a bit tomboy and can get hyped when doing things she likes. Kio is rather expressive but she knows how to react at a certain situation. Though she's easy to get annoyed, she still manages not to waste her energy on anger. She hates losing too--especially in arguing, but she knows she has to hold her ego back when it'll end up being useless. Can be clumsy and careless at times. Joins the dance club at school.

Mara (17) (read with clear A, like, maa-raa?) | “You’re right! I completely forgot! Thanks for reminding me!”
Kio's bestfriend since junior high school. Mara is a motherly type and always supports Kio's decision. While she's rather popular at school for being feminine and charming, she's actually slow and forgetful. Usually it's Kio who reminds her. Because sometimes Mara hardly reads the situation, she almost never gets angry. Already has a boyfriend at different school.

Searon (17) (the 'sea' sounds the same with the one in 'sean') | “You won’t be long, right? I’ll wait here.”
Kio's childhood friend. They live in the same neighborhood and played a lot when they were kids. Often hangs out with Kio and Mara. He has a cold demeanor and only talks when necessary to cover his own feelings. Being overly honest, he realizes that sometimes his words hurt the others but he doesn't care. Deep down, he's actually a caring person and Kio knows that.

Reka (17) (read, um, just like how it is?) | “I bet I could almost surprise you everyday if you were my girlfriend.”
Belongs to the same club as Kio, but different class. He's extrovert, playful, likes flirting around, and quite popular with his attitude. Though he likes to play around and tease Kio during the dance club activity, but Reka dances well than most of the members, which adds more reason why he's well known. Overly confident of himself and never hesitates to blurt out what he's thinking.

Note:
As I stated earlier, this will be a light and short game and with few choices. You'll only read a week of Kio's daily life before Valentine's. Well... I don't know about being short, but the gap between choices is expected to be long. Because it revolves around Kio and her passion to make chocolate, you'll get a little bit informed about chocolate as well. Not so detailed though, but maybe it can inspire you to try making one.

Okay, since I still have no idea about how to get my hands on the GUI nor the programming, I'm basically still working on the scripts and drawing. I'm pretty sure I'll take some times to understand it. Not to mention I haven't made the logo too... Well, I'll just do my best on this.

Progress:
Outline: 100%
Script: 40%
Character design: 80%
Sprites: 25%
CG: 0%
GUI: 0%
Programming: 0%
Background: 45%
Music: 0%
Oh, yeah, look what I did there.

So lastly, feel free to give comments and tell me your opinions or even critics. And since this is my first, I know you'll go easy on me *wink wink* Anyway, I'll try to update frequently, so I appreciate if you look forward to it! Sorry for my English btw OTL

Questions for fun and suggestions!
1. What do you think of the story?
2. Do you prefer the length to be short or a little longer?
3. Who's your favorite guy between the two?
4. The story is pretty expectable though, but what do you want to see?
Last edited by Akitsuki on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:15 am, edited 13 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Truffle! [GxB][School life, Slice of life, Cooking?]

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Aw this sounds very cute. And seriously those outfits look fantastic. I just love them *v*. Cold weather clothes are my favorite type of modern day clothes. I wish more VNs used them.

Good luck C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Akitsuki
Veteran

Re: Truffle! [GxB][School life, Slice of life, Cooking?]

#3 Post by Akitsuki »

Googaboga wrote:Aw this sounds very cute. And seriously those outfits look fantastic. I just love them *v*. Cold weather clothes are my favorite type of modern day clothes. I wish more VNs used them.

Good luck C:.
Thank you! Glad you like it!
Yeah, I personally like winter clothes too, but it's too bad since we don't have 4 seasons in my country (=w=;)

Aruise
Regular
Projects: Endless Corridor

Re: Truffle! [GxB][School life, Romance, Cooking?]

#4 Post by Aruise »

Ooh! nice art and the story looks fun! *w*

Anyway I agree with Googaboga, the clothes are just too amazing, love it! Good luck on finishing this you've got one stalker XD.
Current Project

Akitsuki
Veteran

#5 Post by Akitsuki »

Aruise wrote:Ooh! nice art and the story looks fun! *w*

Anyway I agree with Googaboga, the clothes are just too amazing, love it! Good luck on finishing this you've got one stalker XD.
Thanks! Happy to hear that!
LOL I did some browsing on Google, including fashion websites xD So I hope it's worth it.

Also, since now I'm focusing on doing the writing, there's not much update I can show but I just finished Searon's design! ^o^)/
It's already updated in the first post! Tell me what you think!

Akitsuki
Veteran

#6 Post by Akitsuki »

Reka's design finished!! The colors are kinda similar to Mara's by accident. I really hope my sense of color is better...
Now I'm off to make the sprites and after that, I plan to make it officially WIP. Wish me luck!
Attachments
reka-design.jpg

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#7 Post by ebi-hime »

I really like the character art, especially the design of the main character. I don't know if tomboyish main characters are so common in these kinds of otome-esque games. Putting some factual information about how to make chocolate in it also sounds like an interesting idea o:
I hope you can get it finished n_n
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#8 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Super cute concept as well as the art ^^ Good luck~~ I look forward to seeing more progress.
i'll cry if you yell at me

Akitsuki
Veteran

#9 Post by Akitsuki »

ebi-hime wrote:I really like the character art, especially the design of the main character. I don't know if tomboyish main characters are so common in these kinds of otome-esque games. Putting some factual information about how to make chocolate in it also sounds like an interesting idea o:
I hope you can get it finished n_n
Glad you like it! Yeah, I always want to try new elements for otome games and I personally like informative games!
Thank you! I'll do my best!
silverpikachu99 wrote:Super cute concept as well as the art ^^ Good luck~~ I look forward to seeing more progress.
Thanks! I'll try to update as often as I can!

cosmic latte
Projects: Notturno, Project Lovingly
Organization: Iridescence VNs

#10 Post by cosmic latte »

I love your character and clothing designs! I'm a giant sucker for cute games like these, so I can't wait for this game. <:

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#11 Post by akemicchi »

... If I can be perfectly honest, this game is what I'm looking most forward to play. >___> Just... hnnnng everything about it sounds really, really interesting to me, from the MC, to the characters, to the plot. o|-< It's simple and to the point and everyone just sounds really endearing and likable.

Good luck! I can't wait to see more! :D Definitely going to play this when it comes out. MAKE SURE YOU RELEASE IT OKAY OR I'LL BE REALLY SAD

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#12 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

um cuteness overload O.O Good luck with this project, I'm looking forward to it :)
ImageImage

Akitsuki
Veteran

#13 Post by Akitsuki »

cosmic latte wrote:I love your character and clothing designs! I'm a giant sucker for cute games like these, so I can't wait for this game. <:
Thank you very much! I try working on this as fast as I can, so I hope you keep looking forward to it!
akemicchi wrote:... If I can be perfectly honest, this game is what I'm looking most forward to play. >___> Just... hnnnng everything about it sounds really, really interesting to me, from the MC, to the characters, to the plot. o|-< It's simple and to the point and everyone just sounds really endearing and likable.

Good luck! I can't wait to see more! :D Definitely going to play this when it comes out. MAKE SURE YOU RELEASE IT OKAY OR I'LL BE REALLY SAD
Glad you like it! LOL I purposely makes it simple without complicated problems since I want to get familiar with Ren'py first ^^
Is that a threat-- Don't worry, I'll do my best so I can complete this! Thanks for your support!
LadyOfGatsby wrote:um cuteness overload O.O Good luck with this project, I'm looking forward to it :)
Thank you! Your support makes me want to finish the game!

I'm still on my way drawing Kio's expression, but this will be her default I guess. What do you think? :D
My siblings keep saying she looks like a guy though.... She's actually a bit tomboy, so I guess it's fine? Just tell me what you think!
Critique is also fine!
Attachments
kio.png

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#14 Post by KittyKatStar »

Eeee it looks adorable! I love the art and premise. <3

Good luck with the project. You can do it. ^o^/

Alice PH
Regular

#15 Post by Alice PH »

I like Kio~ I like Seaon, Rekka, Mara~~ I LOVE KIO. Maybe because I'm kind of like that too, hahaha~ Yay~ I'm looking forwards to it ;D Because the concept is rather simple and cute so it's easy to understand, although I DO hope that this game will be longggggg but I know it might be hard on you so, it's okay if it's short. I think I might be in love with Kio more than the guys xD Searon's angry face though <3 Hm, hm, I love this!
If you give your words on the game that you will finish.
I will wait. Let it be 2 years,4 years or more ★