Raidaa no Asahi [Coming Soon... Very Soon]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Raidaa no Asahi [Coming Soon... Very Soon]

#76 Post by Blue Lemma »

sake-bento wrote:I am very hard-pressed to think of a situation in which fanservice actually added anything of value to the story.
Ichigo 100%? :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#77 Post by sake-bento »

Blue Lemma wrote:
sake-bento wrote:I am very hard-pressed to think of a situation in which fanservice actually added anything of value to the story.
Ichigo 100%? :lol:
Hahaha. Okay, I suppose I would have to also value the story. XD I'm reminded of a rather uh...interesting DS game involving saving the world from aliens who disguise themselves as cute girls by having to check certain portions of said cute girls to see if they are aliens. Yes, it's very important to the plot. But uh...................

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#78 Post by Hyperguy »

Samu-kun wrote:5. Webmaster
Role: Provide hosting and bandwidth. XD
I can do this. :o

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#79 Post by musical74 »

Politics Vs Fanservice...

honestly I'm not much for politics - I've left one forum because it was too political and came close to leaving another. I don't have a problem with politics per se, juyst get annoyed by all the finger pointing associated with it. If the politics in question isn't all finger-pointing I don't have a problem with it :)

Fanservice: so long as it's not "fanservice for the sake of fanservice" I don't have any problems with it :) (Takes picture of Asaka and.....ummmmm no, I'm just taking pictures of the area, Ikkari..of course I wasn't trying to get a pic of Asaka bending over!)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#80 Post by sake-bento »

musical74 wrote:Politics Vs Fanservice...

honestly I'm not much for politics - I've left one forum because it was too political and came close to leaving another. I don't have a problem with politics per se, juyst get annoyed by all the finger pointing associated with it. If the politics in question isn't all finger-pointing I don't have a problem with it :)
Granted...I'm not really a fan of thinly veiled stories where the poor country is lead by some dictator named Busch who is going to Eraq in a war for oyle either. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't use whatever medium you want as a way of making a political statement; I just don't like being beat over the head with it.

I guess in the end, I just don't like being patronized or treated like an idiot. Fanservice often treats me like an idiot, like "OOPS HERE'S A GIRL WITH BOOBS" or even "OH NOES THIS GUY'S SHIRT CAME OFF." Yeah.
Last edited by sake-bento on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#81 Post by Jake »

Unrelated aside: Recent (fairly fun) shooter with a mecha protagonist: CloudPhobia
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#82 Post by Hyperguy »

On the topic of fanservice and politics, I'm a bit suprised that another potential entertainment goldmine has yet to be mentioned...

The politics, of fanservice.

(Comma added for dramatic effect. Otherwise, it'd be 'The politics of fanservice.', which is just as cool, but not as dramatic.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#83 Post by Samu-kun »

Lies! There have been plenty of 2d-shooters with mecha. Some of them real classics of the genre! I think I've played two in the last week alone, in fact, where the player controls a mecha, and it works fine. The game I intend to make after NaNo, in fact, is in the same boat.
Fufufu... I think I mispoke about the mechas. Yes, there are many SHMUPs with mechas in it. The reason I want mechas is because there are many things that a mecha can do that a fighter ship can't - for example, use more elaborate weaponry and equipment, including swords, knives, boomarangs, shields, scyths, etc. The thing is, in a SHMUP format, the difference is purely in astethics. We have a mecha that can shoot bullets, use bombers, and dodge enemy fire, just like a fighter ship. I want there to be much bigger differences between a ship and a mecha. I want to add mechas in this not only for the story and the graphics, but also to change the gameplay as well. SHMUPS can and indeed do feature mechas rather prominantly. But these mechas aren't really that unique from fighter ships. As a matter of fact, you could just replace the sprite of the mecha with that of a fighter ship in some of these games and it wouldn't even make any difference. I would much rather find out some other medium through which I can emphasis their unique traits more. :3 Having mechas as controllable units in a SHMUP works perfectly fine - I have nothing against that. But they're too much like fighters when they should be more unique.
But we'll worry about that once I've actually been able to model one... I have tried many times in the past and never succeeded. Whether I'll succeed this time is still up in the air. :3
About the flying vs mecha thing: if you manage to make a mecha part, then I don't think that you need to throw away the SHMUP part because of that, or remake anything. I guess it could make sense. Sometimes the girl fight in space (and fly around) and sometimes there would be mission on the ground (with mecha's)? Actually I think variation like that would be awesome, and could be used well with the story too. Unless you already thought of that
So the mecha-fighting part could be "something cool that shows up later" when they run into that kind of fighting-situation.
That's actually kind of a good idea. ^_^ I shall consider that. :3 But I'm thinking that once they do switch over to mechas, it'll be unlikely they'll ever use their ships ever again - mostly because the programmer does not want to work on adding new content to two different gameplay engines at once. That will boggle his mind to impossible levels. XD
I am very hard-pressed to think of a situation in which fanservice actually added anything of value to the story. Often times, it makes things less enjoyable for me.
I would disagree... I think when used right, it really adds alot of humor. ^_^ I love mangas like Love Hina and Negima... :3

But - the main reason I'm looking to cutting down on the fanservice is to cut back on the amount of CGs I have to draw. :3 To be honest, it's more of a move made out of necessity. About half of the CGs planned in the game right now are made mostly for fanservice. I don't think it's really possible for me to have both a gameplay engine, a visual novel engine, a story, 3D models, AND CGs all in one package... I'm going to have to start cutting back. And CGs seem like the most logical thing to cut first. Although getting rid of all the CGs will pain me greatly, (especially the ones involving Chigara's underwear... *sniff*) but it's either that or never finish the game... >_>;

But another option is also present as well - I can also cut the gameplay engine. That will pain me just as much as cutting all the CGs, but will once again make the possiblity of the game's completion much more reasonable. All the action sequences will have to be described by word - something that I could do to a reasonable extent. And it would also save me alot of headaches during development.

But if I do that, I lose the single, biggest highlight of Raidaa no Asahi. So I don't really want to do that either.

But I'm definately looking to make some serious content cuts either way. Like I have said many times before, Raidaa really is massive. That is not good. That makes the possibility of the project collapsing on its own weight really high. It's a fat lady and I need to slim her down a bit. :3

So there has to be content cuts, unfortunately. In a perfect world, I will be able to create this exactly as I want to. But alas, I'm only a college student with only freeware software, without a tablet, and without funds. (No point in me spending money to get any of those things... I'm not persuing a career in graphic design nor software development) I only have an imagination and a desire to create... Which is definately a good thing - but there are bound to be some serious differences in between what's in my head and what ends up being created. :3

The good news is that I'm thinking about making these content cuts to expand the STORY of the game. Story is the most important part of Raidaa. And fortunately, reading and writing is something that I am mandated to do for hours on end as a result of my chosen career field. There are essentially very little limits to what I can achieve with my writing. I think I should focus on this strength. I can't model or draw very well, but I can write. So I need to make the game focus less on my weaknesses and more on my strengths.

So I'm considering cutting back on the graphics and gameplay. Some goals to have in mind:
-Possibily remove CGs and just use narrative to describe everything. I'll probably end up making a much better product through the use of writing instead of a mediocre quality CG drawing anyways.
-Create an innovative new gameplay engine that is small and easy to program, but are fun to play. I hate complexity in games. I have a rule I try to follow in all of my games. If you have to press more than three different buttons plus the arrow keys at any given time, you're doing something wrong. Simplify, simplify, simplify! You don't need sandbox gameplay or realistic physics to make a good game. You can make a good game using just a single button and the arrow keys! What really is required is innovation. Create something that's novel and fun to play.
-Expand the storyline.

And now more about the story. :3

I'm really hoping to create separate paths for each of the three girls. Right now, the game's really just a kinetic novel. There aren't any branching storyline points and you don't really have a choice in which girl you end up with in the end. That will be something I will aim to fix.

Second, since the majority of the visual fan service doesn't really look possible right now, I'm going to have to make the overall tone of the story to be more serious. :3 Of course, there will still be cute and funny things that still happen in the game, since well, this is me writing the story after all. XD It's just that it probably won't be fan service since it's all described in narrative format. From your comments, it looks like nobody will be particularly offended by the inclusion of politics itself - just in the quality and tone it is presented in.

I won't be critizing any particular individuals or creating any characters based on any modern political figures. It'll be particular policies that are critized. And these policies will not be the ones epoused by particular political leaders at certain points in time (ie. Iraq War, war on terror, Vietnam War) but be policies that have stayed with the entire globe for centuries (ie. the relationship between the citizen and the state, the use of war as an extension of policy by other means, discrimination, etc) I'm trying to create something everyone, regardless of what they believe, can understand and apprechiate. I'm a huge "big picture" thinker. I think analytical and detail oriented thinkers are silly. (Which probably explains why I can't do math for crap) I'd be wasting time if I tried to convince people to change their minds on specifics like the Bush policy or whatever. I like talking about the big picture issues instead. Things that everybody can relate to anyways.
Hahaha. Okay, I suppose I would have to also value the story. XD I'm reminded of a rather uh...interesting DS game involving saving the world from aliens who disguise themselves as cute girls by having to check certain portions of said cute girls to see if they are aliens. Yes, it's very important to the plot. But uh...................
I think I remember a game like that as well. XD Although I think that it was because one of your friends was a witch and the only way to tell for sure was to find a special mark they have on their body... :3
I can do this. :o
Thanks, I'll fly you Volume 1 as soon as it's finished and ready to be mirrored. ^_^
Unrelated aside: Recent (fairly fun) shooter with a mecha protagonist: CloudPhobia
I tried it. ^_^ I haven't played that much of it though... Although I really liked it. ^_^ But it'll be soooo impossible for me to create something on that level. XD
On the topic of fanservice and politics, I'm a bit suprised that another potential entertainment goldmine has yet to be mentioned...

The politics, of fanservice.

(Comma added for dramatic effect. Otherwise, it'd be 'The politics of fanservice.', which is just as cool, but not as dramatic.)
Oh grief, and here I thought you were going to say the fan service of politics. Tsk, tsk... XD

But please, no fan service pictures of Pelosi and Hillary-tan. They are in their 60's. Way past loli ages. XD

Wow, I actually managed to sort through alot of my thoughts with this post! Yosha! I can't believe how useful this thread is. I can organize all my thoughts and plan my next course of action. ^_^

Once again, thanks for all the support everyone! Volume 1 will be released probably before the end of this month. That is, unless something absolutely catastrophic happens. Like a computer meltdown. Or an alien invasion. Not that it's going to happen... Just covering all my bases. XD

EDIT:
Oh... And obviously from the context of this post, it appears that my CG artist has been missing for quite some time. XD *fills out his missing persons report*

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#84 Post by Vatina »

So there has to be content cuts, unfortunately. In a perfect world, I will be able to create this exactly as I want to.
There are content cuts in big games too! Remember Tsukihime and poor Satsuki!
*Has just been reading through Plus+Disc*

Sorry, I'm rambling again......

Guessmyname

#85 Post by Guessmyname »

Samu-kun wrote:2. Technical Concept Artist
Role: Draws mechanical/industrial concept art in a sci-fi setting.
Skills/Traits Required:
-Be dedicated
-Be familiar with science fiction genre in anime, especially in the realm of mecha design.
-Have some sample work

3. Writer
Role: Edit and write various scenarios for the story of Raidaa no Asahi
Skills/Traits Required:
-Be dedicated
-Be familiar with the writing style found in visual novels
-Have a love for these things: anime, mecha, drama, moe, politics, bishojo
I can do these. I can also do character art, but my drawing style is a bit different to anime-style (I wonder what that's called...)

Most of my humour relies more on parody, subversion and genre savviness - I'm an avid reader of the tvtropes wiki (available here)

Some of my spaceship work:

I can also make 3d models too (It's fun and relaxing...) and genuinely enjoy creating stories and pictures and stuff.

I also support politics > fanservice

EDIT: Here's a model I just made on the fly (started right after posting this at around 12) for you

As for mechs...
(Note: That's one I've had for a while rather than made specifically for Raidaa no Asahi - incidentally, what does Raidaa no Asahi translate to in English?)
Amateur artist / writer

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#86 Post by Samu-kun »

So when I wrote that I was looking for a technical artist, I was thinking, "Man... Seriously, what are the chances of finding one on Lemmasoft?" XD

These models are great. ^_^ Of course I would want your help. I'll send you a PM with all the details very soon. :3

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#87 Post by Samu-kun »

what does Raidaa no Asahi translate to in English
I meant it to translate to "The Sun Riders," although literally I think it translates to something closer to "The Riders of the Rising Sun."

I may just change it to The Sun Riders in the future... The japanese name is somewhat harder to remember. XD

Guessmyname

#88 Post by Guessmyname »

Samu-kun wrote:So when I wrote that I was looking for a technical artist, I was thinking, "Man... Seriously, what are the chances of finding one on Lemmasoft?" XD

These models are great. ^_^ Of course I would want your help. I'll send you a PM with all the details very soon. :3
You're in luck, I only just turned up today :P
Amateur artist / writer

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#89 Post by PyTom »

That's wings3d, right? Is there some way to add a skeleton to the model after you export it?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nessiah
Regular
Completed: Valthirian Arc
Projects: DollMaker

#90 Post by Nessiah »

A Technical artist...so cool :shock:
I'm sorry for not updating Samu-kun :(
I'll try finishing them ASAP.
ImageImageImage