Raidaa no Asahi [Coming Soon... Very Soon]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Raidaa no Asahi [Looking for a background artist]

#46 Post by Samu-kun »

Thanks for all the support guys. ^_^

I know GM causes file corruptions after loading huge files. I was actually loading all my large background pictures externally using the new functionality in GM7 that allows me to include files in stand alone games. But I wasn't loading the music files nor the character sprites externally. I'm thinking that when I do make a second engine, I'll be loading all those externally as well. Yeah, loading big files in GM is practically asking for a file corruption. I thought loading the backgrounds externally would be enough... But maybe I was wrong. o_o;

Another reason it could have gotten corrupted was that I tried tryed load .wma music into GM. It's an old trick... Even though it's unsupported, GM can play .wma files and they usually have smaller file sizes than mp3's. Maybe that's what caused the corruption. That's my prime suspect and I've already tried running the game after deleting all the music, but I still get the same error message.

All the backups are fried because as far as I know, GM creates backup files whenever you save the game. My suspicion is that the file first got corrupted without me realizing it and I kept saving the corrupted file, thus creating corrupted backup files as well. And this happened, uhh... Over nine times.

I guess my tendency to save my work every five minutes really backfired here. -_-;;

1. Have you added any very large image to the file recently? A lot of people try to load a ginormous background (something over 1600 pixels in one dimension) and find that their game explodes.
Hmm... The largest background is 800x600 and those were being loaded externally. Recently loaded a 2 mb .wma too. That .wma is looking very suspicious. >:3

Some of the sprites are quite big though. The sprite for the message box is 800x600. And the character sprites are all about 320x400. In retrospect, maybe I should have loaded those externally too. -_-;
2. Can you make a new empty room your starting room and will that load up? It may be that there is some code in your existing starting room that is causing a kaboom.
Good idea. :3 I will try doing that. But I'm not quite sure it'll change anything since I already tried loading the second room first instead of the first one and that lead to the same error message.
... It's not *always* a bad sign that the filesize is changing, it does vary somewhat because of the encryption. But dropping 3meg is a little worrying, yes, since it implies that either a pile of data went missing or your game is RIDICULOUSLY HUGE to begin with, which is just asking for it to corrupt...
Hmm... The original .gmk I believe was about 10 mb big. Now it is 7 mb. o_O; As far as I know 10 mb really isn't *that* big for a GM file. It's not like it was a 150 mb big or anything...

Ah well, atleast now I can build a better VN engine. I learned lots of cool stuff from doing it once already and I've already figured out alot of ways to improve it from before. I'm actually thinking of open sourcing the engine and making it alot more user friendly so other people could use it now that I'll have to rewrite everything anyways.

Besides, I've been using GM long enough to know that file corruptions are only a part of game making. -_-;

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#47 Post by papillon »

10MB isn't impossibly huge, no, but I fight to keep my source file under 5. Fatal Hearts' GM6 is only 3MB. So is Cute Knight. Working for size optimisation like this, I haven't had a file go corrupt in years.

(and this is WHY fatal hearts is in gm6, not gm7 - because I kept all the music external and needed a dll to play it, and the dll won't work right in gm7.)

Anyway, I still volunteer to look at the source if you want. :)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#48 Post by Samu-kun »

I figured out what was wrong.

It wasn't a file corruption. Just my infamilarity with using GM7... -_-;; I feel really stupid now. I don't even feel like talking about what was wrong.

Hint: GM deleted all my backgrounds.

Good thing they were all placeholders.

=_=;;
Fatal Hearts' GM6 is only 3MB. So is Cute Knight.
Holy sweet fish sticks! o_o;;

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#49 Post by Samu-kun »

Image Yosha! Good news everyone! Samu-kun's been working hard all week long and he's just about finished writing both our VN and SHMUP engines!

Image We're really hoping there won't be any more big problems from now on...

Image But you always have to prepare for the unexpected.

Image Ah hah! Hey now that we're here, how about we give everyone a sneak peek of the shmup engine, leader? It looks really cool!

Image Mm... I guess just a small peek won't spoil too much...

Image Yes, you're right. As you can see, this is what a normal battle will look like on Raidaa no Asahi.

As you see, the formation of ships at the bottom of the screen is the team. Ikkari rides in the Pheonix, the yellow one, Asaga rides in the Black Jack, the blue one, and I ride in the Liberty, the red one. During any time in the mission, we can swap position as the formation leader by pressing either the "x" or the "z" keys. This is very important because each of our Ryders are specialized to perform a certain task. For example, the Black Jack is specialized for destroying large numbers of weak enemies while the Liberty is specialized for inflicting heavy damage on a single target.

Image We've gotten alot of concerns from some people that integrating a SHMUP into a visual novel will be impossible because the two genres have far too different speeds. Can you explain the measures we've taken to rectify this, Chigara?

Image Yes, this always has been a big concern in the development of Raidaa no Asahi. So the decision was made to make the SHMUP engine turn based.

Image EEEHHHH??? A turn-based SHMUP!? How is that possible!?

Image Well, you see the white bar at the left? That's our turn time counter. We only have a limited amount of time until the bar runs out and our turn is over. During our turn, we can shoot freely at the enemy and they can't attack us back. However, our movement is restricted to the bottom half of the screen. Once our turn is over, we switch positions with the enemy. Now they can shoot freely at us for a limited time and all we can do is dodge their attacks to the best of our ability.

Like that... Umm... So we've simplifed the SHMUP formula a bit, we hope. Since we've separated the shooting and the dodging, we hope this will allow more causual gamers to enjoy the gameplay elements of Raidaa no Asahi.

Image Shesh, but that sounds so boring, Chigara. Isn't there something a bit more exciting?

Image Chii... Well, there are also secondary attacks and the dual and delta strikes too.

Image Ah, they sound really powerful! What do they do?

Image Well, if you look underneath our ships, you'll see two bars. The green one is our HP. If somebody runs out of HP, they'll be forced to retreat and you won't be able to use them for the rest of the battle. The bar below that is our combo gauge. That bar gradually fills up as you hit enemies with your primary weapons. When it's full, you can use a super powerful secondary attack by pressing the "ctrl" key!

The Pheonix can launch a salvo of rockets that can home onto the enemy.

The Black Jack can fire a chain of bullets.

And the Liberty can unleash a stream of enemy!

But sometimes, not even that's enough to down some of the tougher enemies. That's where dual and delta strikes come in. When more than one of us has a full combo gauge, we can chain our secondary attacks together for an attack bonus that multiplies our attack power by the number of people attacking. But it's not easy performing a dual strike and it's even harder to perform a delta strike. To initiate a dual strike, you first have to charge the combo gauge of two or more Ryders to full. Then, you first use a secondary attack on one of the Ryders with the full combo gauge. At the very last half second of the secondary strike, a chime will ring and you'll have to quickly swap to another Ryder with a full combo gauge. If you do this successfully, then that Ryder will use its secondary attack with a x2 attack modifier. If you have a third Ryder with a full combo gauge, then you can repeat this process once more and use another secondary attack with x3 attack modifier.

Image Ah, that sounds so exciting, Chigara!

Image Yeah, and we haven't even started talking about what happens when the enemy locks on to us and starts launching homing missiles, or how to call in for supporting fire from the SunRider, or how to even make the enemy skip his turn.

Image Eeeh!? So you mean there's more!?

Image Of course there's more! I wouldn't accept it unless Samu-kun makes the absolute best product possible! As a matter of fact, I better go check on him now to make sure he's programming and not downloading anime off the internet!

Image Tune in next time for more information about the game! See you everyone~

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#50 Post by Sakurazaki »

Wow :3 Looks awesome! I really can't wait to play it! I really like your character art and 3d models as well. The concept that you have is interesting too.
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#51 Post by musical74 »

wow....Asaga's cute even when she's shocked...is there a medal for *most cute*? Asaga would win it hands down...

I like the idea of a turn-based SHMUP for those of us that are new to the genre and therefore won't be punished for being new! <Of course, how many quarters did I shell out for fighting games like 1943 and new immediately what to do?>
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by DaFool »

I just got Sky Girls vibes from this... whoa...

Would love to help out but I'm fully occupied in my project right now, so I'll cheer you on instead.

Nessiah
Regular
Completed: Valthirian Arc
Projects: DollMaker

#53 Post by Nessiah »

Wow this game looks great the necks bother me a lot, must be because of the 2 lines ?

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5344 ... ppyyv2.png
If it's ok can I do a fanart :oops:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#54 Post by Samu-kun »

Wow :3 Looks awesome! I really can't wait to play it! I really like your character art and 3d models as well. The concept that you have is interesting too.
Thanks. ^_^ I really hope I can deliver the goods. :3 Posting progress reports in this topic always encourages me to work more. Yosh! Starting from tommarow, I shall redouble my efforts! *ties bandana around head*
wow....Asaga's cute even when she's shocked...is there a medal for *most cute*? Asaga would win it hands down...
I'm glad! I really hope people will find all my characters to be really cute, even if my art skills are decidedly below than professional level.
I just got Sky Girls vibes from this... whoa...
Sky Girls was one of the principle inspirations for this game. :3 After about a year after the first OVA was released actually, I was hoping to make a full blown fan game of Sky Girls... At that time, it looked like the chances for Sky Girls becoming anything more than a single episode OVA were slim and I really wanted to continue the story. ^_^ But then it turned out they announced a new TV series, and the situation entirely changed, so that never came to be.

But obviously, it's no coincidence the team of Raidaa no Asahi resembles the team from Sky Girls. Of course, the tsundere, the shy knowledgeable lolicon character, and the overly enthusiastic happy girl are character archtypes found not only in Sky Girls but in many other animes as well. And of course, the plot pretty much has nothing to do with WORMS or nano-machines, so you don't have to worry about originality.

Unfortunately, I could not include motion-slits in Raidaa. Sorry... That would just be *too* obvious... Although it would make really good fanart if someone *were* to dress up the girls in motion slits... *hint hint*
Wow this game looks great the necks bother me a lot, must be because of the 2 lines ?

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5344 ... ppyyv2.png

If it's ok can I do a fanart
Thanks for the comment. ^_^ The necks seem to be giving me problems for awhile. I shall try to fix them up, especially for Chigara. But of course you can make fanart. :3 I would love fanart.

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#55 Post by Sakurazaki »

I know how you feel about getting encouraged. :3 Posting progress reports not only helps you get motivated but helps others to get excited for the game as well. Keep fighting, Samu-san!

Samu-kun
King of Moé

Re: Raidaa no Asahi

#56 Post by Samu-kun »

Hellooo everyone. :3 Sorry for the quick repost, but I've got some good news. Nessiah has volunteered to be the new CG artist for Raidaa no Asahi. Yay, Nessiah! ^_^ Now she will draw ecchi CG after ecchi CG all for your enjoyment... So be very thankful for the hard work Nessiah will be putting in the game from now on. Because if it weren't for her, Raidaa would have a whole lot less fanservice. ^_^

Haha, to be serious now, I'm very relieved and excited she has volunteered for such a huge project. It takes an enormous burden off my shoulders and will hopefully speed up the production of this game considerabily. It may very well be the best thing that's happened during the production of this game so far!

On the programming side, there has been alot of irritation, but in the end, progress is still going fine. Getting both the VN engine and the SHMUP engine to run concurrently for cutscenes was rather hellish, but it works great now. ^_^

Right now, the biggest issue facing me is whether I want to submit this to the Ren'Ai Archives once it's completed. As production goes on, it's looking more and more unlikely it'll meet the requirements for submission. Since this is both a fully fledged SHMUP and a VN, the amount of sound, background, and music resources this game will need is alot higher than the average visual novel... Even if I somehow find a background artist and a musician, the sound effects will be a problem. I don't really know where any of my sound effects came from. I've found that sound mods for video games are a good place to find sound resources for games. The sounds currently in the game are from a sound mod for Malfador's Space Empires VI and another sound mod for the 2001 game Axis... I honestly have no idea where the creators of these sound mods gathered their sound effects. That'll probably disqualify Raidaa for the Archives. And that's not even beginning to start on the music, which is from a variety of sources (mostly from anime sound tracks.)

Bah. But it's way to early to even talk about distribution right now. We still have a game to finish!

EDIT:

Oh, and in other news, I got a blog!!! Hooray! ^_^

http://samukun.wordpress.com

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by monele »

Turn-based shmup, yet not a tactical rpg uh? This looks definitely new and intriguing ^^. I do suggest doing a lot of playtesting (not only by you) to be sure it actually works and is fun to play :). It'd be sad if people wanted to play it but couldn't get around the gameplay.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#58 Post by Samu-kun »

As of now, episode one has been completed! The only thing missing right now is a single CG that Nessiah is working on.

Mm... The offical statistics of episode 1.

-Seven screens with 2777 words, one gameplay stage, one boss stage, five total CGs. A total of about 15 minutes of gameplay, hopefully?

Now I will probably head towards creating either the second episode or the OP and the ED. I will decide later on whether to release the first episode by itself now or clump it together with the first story arc and release it later in a volume. (or wait until all 14 episodes are finished and release it in one monstrously huge game)

EDIT:

Also, I'm probably going to start distributing beta copies to be play tested soon... Sorry, it will only be an by-invitation closed beta for now. I don't want too many copies of the game being distributed before the official release. ^_^;;;

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#59 Post by Sakurazaki »

XD sign me up for the beta!

Anyways glad to hear that you are getting close! I really can't wait to see the fruits of your labor!

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#60 Post by Samu-kun »

I gave into the temptation and I just *had* to make a demonstration video... XD

Soo... This is the first boss in the game. I made mainly for three reason.
A) To show off my terrible piloting skills. (Hey, the screen capture device made the game lag MAJORLY and totally cut into my skills... Really...)
B) So that people know how to play the game when it comes out. ^_^;;
C) Because I'm a loser and I just have to show everyone.

SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_umAI4vBpk

END SPOILERS