Buyan [Paranormal] [Horror] [Political] [RPG]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Tatty
Regular
Projects: Buyan

Buyan [Paranormal] [Horror] [Political] [RPG]

#1 Post by Tatty »

Introduction:
It is a time of great upheaval, and greater uncertainty.

From the most developed corner of the world to the unsettled arctic, the calm that had settled over Earth has began to fracture at the seams, boiling into hundreds of miniature conflicts and crises.

As the powers that be fret about economic solvency, decreasing potable water, increasing tides, violence, hopelessness and a permanently wired society where each citizen is their own best watchman, these so-called tiny wars are fostered off on those who will undertake them for the smallest price - or, perhaps, simply because they care.

Your direct superiors have told you recently about some nightmare in the arctic - though the cause and situation are far above your paygrade.

After the team you were used to working with tried - and failed - to contain a disease outbreak among a certain nation, your superiors reassigned most of your team to food and water aid - and you were taken in for review. After the usual shouting match and commiseration about budget cuts, it was agreed that due to your - otherwise sterling - reputation and passing interest in the region, you would be sent as an observer and monitor to a country known to it's citizens as the Beautiful Land. A chartered boat soon left with you on it, uncertain about your own future - let alone the reason your supervisors would be interested in it.

The boat never made it, for once you arrived at the Buyan peninsula, it was no longer a part of the 'Beautiful Land'. Though you were welcomed warmly by the new border guards, your papers taken and accepted and your credentials acknowledged, it seemed that the moment you stepped onto the craggy and temperate shore, everything collapsed around you.

First were the reports of conflicts in the city - then the countryside. Rumors of lack of gas, lack of power - lack of water, lack of food. Military intervention and counter-intervention; espionage and politics far beyond your pay-grade seemed to overcome every facet of life - but that only strengthened your resolve to do something. The second night, your hotel was rocked by gunfire and came under direct assault by unidentified gunmen. Managing to negotiate a standing down of arms, you saw the most fragile of hopes began to take root. Nervous young men and women who had been angry before were now laughing, still nervously - but without threatening to kill one another. If this continued - you might yet make a difference.

And then, quite literally, all hell broke loose.

The press - both local and international - reported on it uncensored at first, and now you can't get any international press, and all the local channels are dead. Creatures that only could be described as demons began to walk the streets. Some harmless and friendly, others reveling in the chaos as they killed and amused themselves to their hearts content. You have been trapped in your hotel for three days now - and having gathered all you can, will not remain for a forth.

It is a time of great upheaval and uncertainty.

Perhaps it is time to do something about it.
Sub-Links:
[*]Characters
[*]Art
[*]Music
[*]Systems
[*]Storyboard - Spoilers
[*]F.A.Q.
[*]Demons
[*]Alignment
Synopsis:
Welcome to Buyan, a fantastical story that aims to use metaphor to discuss things that are relevant to the world around us. You will take on the role of an Non-Governmental Organization volunteer with experience in crisis management, newly arrived to the Buyan peninsula, in a certain country, in a certain time. Expecting to find poverty, ethnic and civil tension, yet hopefully a degree of civility, you instead found a complete collapse of society with no clear heroes or villains - one torn apart not simply by the nightmares we're used to, but strange beings from out of myth and folklore -

Demons.

Inspired by the classical dungeon crawler Might and Magic I-V, Wizardry, and Shin Megami Tensei, with a strong emphasis on the Strange Journey entry, Buyan will have you facing ethical quandries, filling your rosters with demonic allies and concerned humans, and attempting to make as the rest of the world falls down around you.

Gameplay Overview:

The gameplay takes place in several regions of the peninsula and the surrounding areas. You may be able to travel to the 'mainland' as well as several regional countries and their spheres of influence, but the crux of the story takes place amongst a temperate land, caressed by the black sea and met by salt air and great forests of oak, ash, and juniper. Craggy peaks rise over the land, and great steppes stretch freely into the yonder; some used for grains and pastures, overs left wild and untamed.

As you unlock forms of travel and safe passage between areas, your ability to navigate to urban and rural 'hubs' as well as traverse the peninsula will increase - limited only to your own ability to provide protection for yourself and those who travel with you.

Negotiating with demons will allow you to request 'boons' of them - items, information, perhaps a service or even alliance. In some cases, the demon may even agree to an unspecified future service, or make an offer to you independently!

Will you attempt to improve the life of the peninsula under one faction or another? Will you attempt to return the standards of living of those people who inhabit it to an idealized time, or perhaps greater still? Will you simply attempt to document what you see without judgment or condemnation, or will you burn the wretched foundations that bring so much misery to the ground, so that the next crops to come may be fruitful and good..?

Questions, Week #2:

[*]Local militaleader 'Warchief' has offered you a great deal of money and a promise of security if you'll find a way to remove United Nations observers from his territory... One way or another. He's also offered you the service of a strong demon for your personal use if you accept. You...
[*]Several agents of a highly respected international newspaper have struggled to find someone to talk to openly. You've worked with them in the past, and know their top goal is to sell a story. They want to interview the emotionally fragile family you've just managed to have your demonic allies pull from the ruins of a building; but you also know that the outside world has heard very little about what is going on, and spreading the word might attract more outside aid. You...
[*]Halfway to the 'Pannonian Fields' agroplex, your ride gives out. While Mstislav fixes it, you're attacked by a gang of hoodlums. They're half-starved and clearly desperate, doing this out of need and not malice, and will likely strike someone else if you drive them off; but they are also desperate. You...

Archived Questions:

Week #1: Tiny font until I can figure a way to remove the bloat this feature will certainly cause. Questions preserved for posterity and interest.

Questions Week #1:

[*]Of the three 'main' characters discussed so far, which do you feel the most kinship with - if any? Would you want to learn more about them, and improve their lives somewhat?
[*]You have the opportunity to help someone lost amongst the rapids - but doing so would require the assistance of an entity that looks like a monster that used to haunt your nightmares as a child. What would you do?
[*]Would you rather improve the lives of your compatriots, those of the land around you, or the lot of an employer that has treated you well?
[*]When playing a game, which sounds most like you? A hero, who will protect everything - an observer, taking place in a realm unknown and escaping to a new world - or a rebel free of the constraints placed on you by yourself, or by society?
[*]You are asked by your employer which you would rather bring with you to a foreign country - a book of common phrases and expressions, medical supplies and aid, or a high-powered rifle. How do you respond?
[*]You come across a turtle in the desert. Reaching down, you flip the tortoise over on it's back. The tortoise lays on it's back and tries to right itself, but it cannot without your help...
[/size]
Last edited by Tatty on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Buyan [Paranormal] [Horror] [Political] [RPG]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I saw this thread yesterday, and was not sure what to suggest or ask. After browsing the related thread in Creator's Corner, I started to get some ideas on what I could say...

On the challenge of creating complex games: I haven't contributed anything to RPG Maker forums. However, I have browsed them every now and then. You know how there are a lot of planned stories on Lemma Soft that don't get past the planning stages? Similar problems exist there. People start to create unusual or large-scale games, but stop updating after a while. Both amateur VNs and general games get quietly discontinued all the time.

So what can you do? As someone who's embarrassed himself by starting several projects and barely finishing any, my advice might not be all that reliable. That said... I suggest three things:

* First, give yourself a series of deadlines, so that you can get your project done and (partly) released one step at a time.
* Second, ask yourself how passionate you are about creating your story. Do you care enough about your characters/plot/world that you're willing to commit time and effort to completing the project?
* Third, decide that you won't limit yourself by category, style, or label. Don't tell yourself, "It's just a freeware game, so I don't need to put in much effort." If you were making "low art" such as a comic, you wouldn't tell yourself that readers will just throw it away and forget it tomorrow, right? If you were creating "just for kids" content such as a puppet show, you wouldn't tell yourself that it can be sloppy because adults will just ignore it, right?

If you choose to sell your final version of _Buyan_, then you will need to find an audience. I'm not sure who that would be. But consider carefully how you can market it with phrases that are positive and easy to understand.

Tatty
Regular

#3 Post by Tatty »

Ah, this kind of response as my very first - it feels how shall I say, nostalgic. ; ) I'm sorry I didn't give much room for questions besides my (still open!) question in response to clickable/drop-down forum spoiler menus. My hope was that the setting or systems might be interesting enough that you would choose to discuss them, but I'll throw some default questions and sentence starters open next update, if you'd like? : )

That being said, although I appreciate your concern, especially as I am a new user here... I am neither a new hand at VN's in either Ren'Py or other things, nor novels (both my own and technical stuff that no one sane will ever read, pfft.). I am a little on the old side, and due to my upbringing have a very low opinion of leaving my own tasks unfinished, though I have as well - everyone has. Since I did not ask for commentary on such matters, and you have linked to several threads outside the scope of the game proper, I'm going to reply to it as unrelated to the game itself. And if you don't mind... May I give some advice in return?

Embarrassment is something I see a lot, especially in these days. Both my siblings suffer from it constantly - and I think, when it causes them to re-think their actions or develop a new skillset, it's even a good thing! But just as often, it simply weighs them down. My brother, for example, is a good writer and observer - but when he fails his (self-imposed) deadlines, sinks into a depression for weeks or perhaps months - not because he failed, but because he ascribes to that status a permanency. We've had a lot of talks recently, and he's been helping me with my challenges, and he his; but one thing I can say is this. Nothing is permanent. The worst that happens if you fail something? You have a quarter, or a half, or however much work. Perhaps you may revisit it years later - perhaps not. That experience does not exist in a void, and it is always there - if you find the will and desire to return to it.

As such, I'm not really interested in what-ifs. I have a very set schedule - no deadlines, as those are far too similar to my RL-job, which I have no interest becoming one of two jobs - and a preliminary goal of between two to seven years. Though this is hardly immediate, and much of my work will be done 'behind the scenes', aiming for a goal I know I can make, slowly and assuredly, means that I tend not to worry about these things so much. Secondarily - I write solely for myself, and avoid money like the plague. It might be nice, and I might use some of my funds to acquire assets - but this is a project of passion for me, and nothing more. : ) There are plenty of talented writers who produce great VNs and KN's for commercial purposes, and who such devices (deadlines, self-evaluation, writing for others etc) can be very useful! I'm just not one of them.

My question is - though it's tragic that some VN's get discontinued, quietly or no, is it really such a bad thing? Compare the state of things even ten years ago - and though the rate of disconintunement has certainly increased, so have the number of novels completed. I would take this state of affairs over that any day. After all, I prefer to work towards my own state of completion, instead of thinking to myself 'well, a lot of people are worried about works-in-progress, so why should I even try...' ; )

If you don't mind, I'm curious why you chose to leave a comment like this. It was certainly interesting, but it doesn't really seem to relate to anything I've discussed in either this thread or the general questions thread? Regardless - thank you for the thought exercise. I hope my ramblings have been entertaining or interesting or perhaps even useful in return, but worry not. I'll get this done, when I get it done. I do not believe in 'high' or 'low' art, but I prefer my things to be as decadent and baroque as possible - I have a very exacting set of standards, and should Buyan be completed, it is my hope you will enjoy it - and should you ever decide to work on a project of your own, prior or new, I will be there to encourage you, either in text or in spirit, ahahah. The future is bright, even if the past is grim. : )

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#4 Post by Katta »

Quite a wall of text you got here( And at the same time the information in FAQ seems pretty random without explaining much, f.ex. you give details about negotiation, but what's that? What will the gameplay be like in general? Maybe it's only because I don't know what Megaten system is, but the thread in itself is pretty confusing.
I find your idea very interesting and I hope the choices in the game will be hard to make) I think a more plot-descriptive/philosophical name will fit your project more.
Since you've mentioned there'll be romance I'm most interested to know who'll be romanceable) How many characters (if any besides the 3 already mentioned) will be there?

As to your questions:
1) I like Theodoulas the best, he seems to be a well-rounded and real character. Mstislav is somehow too defined by his role as a cab driver and Scissors seems like a common I-don't-care-about-anything type of character.
2) Maybe try to help but in a way that'll minimize the contacts with the monsters
3) the ones who'll ask first
4) a hero I guess, since I do all the usual quests
5) medical supplies

Tatty
Regular

#5 Post by Tatty »

Katta - Hello there, and thank you kindly for your thoughts and feedback! I'm still setting up shop, though my hope is that things will be smoothed out within the next two-three weekly updates. I'm actually looking into a way to implement something similar to the html <spoiler> or <detail> tags, as they would allow me to much more efficiently use this thread for it's two main purposes:

Demonstrating what Buyan is all about, and allowing me to organize my thoughts into a handy self-reference as I work.

So, if you have any idea on how to implement those, I'd be very grateful! If not, I'm thinking I'll make a few dummy posts with FAQs, characters, music, story etc and link them to the main topic. It's ungainly, but it's the next best option. :/ Any ideas? Also, if you'd like, I can update the thread proper when it's more clear and concise, so that people don't have to wade through my walls of words until they're more reader-friendly?

As for the name - I'll probably end up keeping it as it is. There's a significance to it that may not be immediately apparent, but is definitely key to the game as I wish to write it. That being said - I'll definitely think about adding a title sub-name, perhaps something more descriptive that hooks potential interest and explains what this story is all about. I want to avoid an OGRE BATTLE ~ Person of Lordly Calibre ~ situation where both the title and the subtitle seem a bit off-kilter, though; so it may be some time before I figure out what, precisely, this may be.

My hope is that the choices in the game will get harder to make as the game goes on. Often a game 'locks' you into a path, meaning that even if you've had moral qualms about your decisions beforehand, you can set them aside after you've hit enough decisions/branches. My goal in shattering that is meaning that even when you're given two choices that lead to outcomes favorable to you, your character, and your worldview, there are still sacrifices to be made and things to lost - and gained. I'm planning to post a few examples tomorrow with the weekly update; but the goal is to make the moral and ethical decisions things that the player struggles as much or more then combat. Moving on to romance - a question near and dear to my heart!

All three of the characters listed above will be able to be romanced by both genders, though I cannot promise the romances will 'continue' past the end of the story, or resemble anything like a traditional romance. They *might*, but each romance will be quite different depending on choices, gender, etc. In addition, there are currently four planned 'non-party' NPCS that my be romanceable, but are rather specific in what they're looking for - and that'll be addressed as we get further into the plot proper. Finally - as a goal that I do not plan to add at the moment, but may add in the post-game stage, I also am musing about including a dynamic romance module - for those that have played the game several times, and are looking for something new. What that means will be a mystery for now, as I am currently focusing on getting the systems the way I want them, references done, and the like - nice ideas can come later, as the saying goes. : )

And to answer one of your questions (thank you!):

1) Theo is a good guy. Just treat him right, and expect things to get harder for him. The young may not seem it, but they suffer the most from these things. Also - it's my hope that most people unfamiliar to the setting feel similarly, as I want most people to feel most 'comfortable' with Theodoulas on their first playthrough, for a great many reasons.

Thank you for your answers to your others, however - I realize they might seem rather eclectic at the moment, but I have my reasons.

Tatty
Regular

Characters

#6 Post by Tatty »

Characters:
*Note - Given your character's unfamiliarity with the region, all names are 'assumed', and in some cases may or may not be significant on their own.
Quadragony
Protaganist:

The protagonist is a 'lifer' volunteer in an unnamed NGO. Through their actions and focus on humanitarian aid, they draw a few parallels to Médecins Sans Frontières, but due to the high amount of personal who have had military training - the protagonist included - they seem to also have some ties to supra-national bodies; likely the UN, or something else entirely. That being said, whatever ties the organization have are both above and unimportant to the protagonist, who at least seems to have come to the Buyan peninsula with the hope of helping people.

At first, the protaganist is introduced as being deeply rational and competent; but within the first setting act of the game, your decisions will slightly affect what we see under that facade. Are they a witty and snarky individual, or just focused on doing their job, collecting a small paycheck, and heading home? Is their professionalism a veil for emotional scars, or are they trying to be a hero in these trying times?

Regardless of personality, the protagonist has several friends from their prior lives; it's up to you if they're important enough to merit reading 'pre-game' messages and discovering information about, or ignoring entirely, whether they make a direct appearance in the plot or no.

Protaganist/Appearance:

Full riot gear, non-denominational in regards to origin. It's somewhat beat-up and clearly has scene a lot of use. The protagonist's skin is completely covered up, so it's impossible to tell their ethnicity or origin by appearance. In addition, the protagonist wears a slightly old-fashioned bobblevisor, meaning that the only indicator of your protaganist's gender is the general shape of their body. Depending on time and interest, I may sketch a few different body types, but given how unimportant this is, I'm placing it very low on the list of post-game features.

I want them to feel like a more modernized version of some ancient soviet space fiction; a real stranger in a strange land.

'Theodoulas':

A young man, and the youngest character in the cast by far - barely out of boyhood at perhaps twenty-five years of age, Theodoulas traveled from the nearby country of Pontus to serve with pro-governmental militia groups. Due to conflicts of opinion he then switched to supporting anti-governmental militia groups, and finally found the militia group he traveled with completely obliterated by demon attack - leaving him the sole survivor. Lost, confused, alone and desperately in need of an authority figure to follow, Theodoulas instantly takes a liking to your drive and determination, and is eager to travel with you - if you will have him.

Earnest and sincere, Theodoulas is willing to give everything he has for a greater cause - some would say too willing. Although it is standard to see the young as possessing all but superhuman powers, Theodoulas is well aware that he is over his head, and bears a great deal of survivor's guilt that no amount of early-response counseling is going to absolve of him of. He has a very strong sense of justice, and will worry if you do things such as decrease your own rations to give to others - even though he'd likely do the same. Similarly, he abhors cruelty - but can justify it with frightening ease if it leads to a better standard of life in the long run.

Although he is confused and somewhat ineffectual on his own or in small groups, when it comes time to inspire great crowds - or conversely, someone is giving him directions - Theodoulas truly shines, raising the morale of those he works with. He fondly recalls that his squadron viewed his presence as somewhat lucky - although perhaps that was in haste, as the ill-humoured joke goes. He will generally agree with any order you give him, so long as he is not pushed to his breaking point; and if he feels you, or anyone, have finally overstepped that boundary, be prepared.

Personality-wise, Theodoulas is somewhat innocent in relation to the people you'll immediately work with - like you, he is a stranger to Buyan, although he grew up close enough to see the coast from where he came from. Well-mannered and genteel, he nevertheless has a habit of saying unintentionally cruel things, and can be surprisingly hateful to groups that he has automatically judged as villainous. A very dogmatic thinker, he is slow to mark people off - but even slower to forgive once he has.

Likes: Fully operational kits, the smiles of children, a certain almond-hazel cake he had one time, and doing the right thing.
Dislikes: Self-interest, being alone, thinking about the future.

Theodoulas/Appearance:

Probably twenty+ years old. Youngest core cast member. Young, young, young. Clean-shaven, with that sort of wide-eyed expression you see in Capra movies or Pioneer posters. Copper-brown hair. Deep brown eyes. Constantly looks up, perhaps out of superstition? A few scars and bruises, but manages to look untarnished most of the time - because he's
secretly rather vain about his appearance, and spends time on it even to the reality of war and death around you.
Doesn't always emote, but when he does, *big* emotions. Wide smiles, huge, non-comprehending tears, hearty laughter.

Anger should look strange on him. "How could you..." Kind of feel, even when you did something that was completely justified for your own ends - if he doesn't like it, he's likely to betray his own emotions on the matter, even if he tells you it's fine. Blue 'surplus' camo uniform. Several patches and things, signs that it was
taken from the prior Theodoulas
if you look carefully enough. Writes letters to his mother fairly frequently - if something happens to him during the course of the game, the player should have the option to let her know, regardless of their relationship with Theo.

Short, probably in the best physical condition of your human allies. When directed, a force on the battle-field, can even go toe-to-toe with some demons at the start of the game. As the games goes on, develops stubble and circles under his eyes, loses some of the innocence but gains a hardness to him. Not just shellshock, but that kind of 'pragmatism' that is a way of dealing with the trauma, even if it isn't the best way or the only way.

'Mstislav':

Easily in his late fifties - or perhaps older, but very well-preserved - Mstislav is your main source of transport throughout the game. Mountain roads, military blockades, swamps, flat tires? They mean nothing to him! A laid-back cabman who has an all but supernatural talent for being around the same places you are at the same time, Mstislav is also the only person running a taxi when you need one. Many others stick to areas they feel safe or comfortable in, unwilling to risk demon attacks and military dangers - but Mstislav is considered something of a madman by his peers, and for good reason. As he might put it - it's more interesting when there's a bit of thrill to it, isn't there?

Don't let that colour your impressions of him, however. Mstislav takes great pains to protect those who ride with him, and views any threat to his passengers as a breach of sacred hospitality. Possessed of a good sense of humor and an excellent collection of ancient cassettes laden with 'the only real music', whatever that means, Mstislav has no stake in any politics, and will gladly support or understand your reasoning, regardless of what decisions you might take. That won't stop him from mocking you for them, however - after all, sometimes it can be a long ride, and anything to pass the time.

Although he won't join you in battles per say, Mstislav might lend you a kind of assistance - what that is, exactly, you'll have to wait and see.
Though the element of 'car' is very effective against demons, or so I hear tell.
He's highly opinionated and knowledgeable, and if you don't feel like talking with him, he'll gladly discuss background information or his own theories about who Brezhnev really was with you. If you keep him going long enough, however, traces of the real Mstislav might began to slip through...

Underneath the surface personality, Mstislav is depressed and largely without purpose in life. Mstislav has turned to his cab, giving his work a mythological and symbolic importance that it doesn't really have. He clearly has - or had - a life before becoming the man you meet, but whatever that life was only filters through in fragments, and what you see of it is disheartening. It's obvious that Mstislav likes and thinks of you very paternally, and perhaps one of the reasons he's so eager to help you is the fact that you remind him of that life - however distant it may be.

Likes: Dashboard cameras, paying promptly, talking, kids, and conspiracy theories.
Dislikes: Autocrats. Drinking. Violence - the weight of time.

Mstislav/appearance:

Definitely well-preserved, though has a pretty noticeable paunch. Doesn't give a care in the world - he's obviously in decent enough physical shape, and has given up on any attempts to indulge bygone years. Slightly singed eyebrows that haven't grown back - there's a story there, and none of it's true. Black hair, with a hint of grey - it's very well-hidden, though. Green eyes. Pretty tanned, with leathery skin; enjoys long walks on the beach when he isn't ferrying people from one place to another, and it shows. His looks were inspired by a slightly more aged, more southern-based Donatas Banionis, and I think it should tell.

Scratches a lot - Scissors and Theodoulas both worry he has something, but it's just a bad habit. Wears a lot of really awful sweaters, despite the weather not being all that cold. Noise is fairly large, eyes fairly small, both possibly exacerbated due to the first real wrinkles of age. Smiles a lot, but it's always somewhat reserved - should always feel like he's trying to be 'classy', insomuch as a cabman can be. Things are bad when he has a neutral expression or looks sad - that's a crack in his easy-going nature that he doesn't usually notice, and if the player sees it, it's a pretty good indicator of how he really feels.

Doesn't get angry - laughs most threats off, figuring that if someone is going to kill him, they'll do it and instead of wasting time talking about it. Cab should feel like a character too - he loves his Volga like a wife, but when asked if he's named it, responds that they're 'beyond names'. Cluttered, interior is filled with documents, coffee cups, fast food, cigarette stains, various collectable toys, etc. Doesn't allow people drinking booze in the cab - common courtesy. Volga is very dented, showing the signs of age, much like the driver - I was actually tempted to make it a Zaporozhets at first, but decided against it.

'Scissors':

Not everyone you meet has a noble motive. Not everyone you meet cares about the rest of the world.

'Scissors' is a woman just on the cusp of middle-age. You might imagine her to be in her late thirties, but she could also be younger - and just be fighting a losing battle against time and poor decisions. One of the many people that seems to have decided that the conflict descending upon the peninsula is a good thing, Scissors will stalk and confront you several times throughout the beginning of the game, her reasons largely her own. Having tagged along (and got her nickname from her experiences) with a certain 'militia' group that was more concerned with drink and vandalism then any real cohesive goal, she split from them
after betraying their location to demons, for reasons of her own - mostly curiousity.
Though she's not following you specifically, repeated encounters - or the first few, if you know the right things to say or do - convince her that you understand where she's coming from, and that you'll have more fun working together - though she won't hold it against you if you decline. Incredibly blunt, Scissors will always tell you what she was thinking, even if you didn't ask for it. Hating inaction far more then making mistakes, she'll constantly pressure you to do something, and celebrate when you do. That doesn't, however, mean she is running entirely on instinct - like everyone you meet, Scissors has her own agenda, and is hoping your presence will aid it, one way or the other.

Being self-reliant and individualistic, Scissors may choose to split off from the group from time to time, returning as she feels. She is fine with being treated absolutely horribly, and will react (at first) with some chagrin if you treat her respectfully, but will treat you with the same respect you treat her; what matters to her is action. If you earn her trust, Scissors will choose to keep helping you despite her own personal reservations. If you don't - well...

Personality-wise, Scissors respsects very little, and will enjoy spending time with those who feel the same. It's easy to rile her up, but just as easy to make amends, as Scissors tends not to think about the past very often. A native of the city of Dubno, if you choose to ask her opinion about something, she'll give your honest - and incredibly blunt - opinion on the matter, no matter how rude. That being said, when Scissors chooses to care about something, she does so very deeply - and woe to those who get in her way.

Dislikes: Reality, saccharinity, Theodoulas, listlessness.

Scissors/Appearance:

Constantly angry about something. Scowling, pursed lips, bared teeth. Teeth are ugly and discolored - missing three or so, holes and stains on the others. Huge circles under eyes, messy brown hair. Gestures a lot, possibly because she doesn't trust people to understand if she doesn't. Despite anger, uses a lot of old and archaic words and manner of speaking that hints at other things. Blue eyes. Had a very small nose, at some point it was horribly broken and sticks up now - thick eyebrows, too.

Smiles poorly. It always looks off or not entirely genuine, usually because it isn't. Though she's obviously in decent physical shape, it's not sustainable, and she's burning herself out. Signs of that - increasing amounts of dirt and cruft under her fingernails, bigger circles, more strayed ends, rocking back and forth to stay awake etc. Broad shoulders that she doesn't like. Used to wear formal clothes quite frequently, now favors very simple, old-fashioned clothes. Brown, brown, brown; very unassuming stuff.

When she is actually happy, tries to hide it. So, she doesn't smile when she's happy - she frowns a little less, or looks away. Can sound happy without looking happy, and has a habit of thinking she does - surprised when people point out how worn-out she still looks. "I thought I was smiling!.." etc. Despite constant movement, fairly observant - looking at things in the background often, trying to evaluate threats, danger, opportunities. Will share information if she respects player. Brightness in eyes fades over time, but personality-wise becomes more at ease and happy as the game goes on.
Act I
'Falcon': A militiaman working for the well-known militia leader, 'Warchief'. He's younger even then Theodoulas, far too young to be a soldier. He's excitable and spends as much time taking selfies posing with his kit as he does trying to impress the tourists and visitors held hostage; he's more funny then frightening, but that makes the moments he gets serious far more disturbing. He's easily cowed by shows of force - from the protaganist especially - but if he isn't also impressed, will hold a grudge, viewing the protaganist as a clear example of 'outside influence' and 'conspiracies against this great nation'. Loves to sing, and a bit of an amateur poet.
Canonically is shot by pro-governmental soldiers fairly on, unless the protaganist intervenes.
Falcon/Appearance: Rail-skinny, unhealthy. Stubble-ridden and wide-eyed. Looks like he might wander into a less serious game and moonlight as the fun-loving, rules-hating type of character. Smiles frequently, but occasionally gets dead serious. Hates being made fun of despite loving to make fun of himself, and has some serious trouble understanding the very valid fear the hostages in the hotel feel - constantly gestures with his rifle, and thinks their fear is kind of funny - hasn't killed anyone, seems embarrassed about the fact instead of happy. Copper hair, blue eyes?

Hanako Hiraoka*: A slightly older then middle-aged writer and foreign playwright staying at the hotel. She's one of the few people mostly unafraid for her life, and has been cautiously supportive of the rebel/pro-independence movement. When asked why, Hanako responds with an ambivalent statement that if they had wanted anyone dead, people would be dead. Her motivations are rather more complicated, however - and the protagonist is likely to find her traveling around the peninsula, taking notes for her next work and observing the conflict. Has a very wry view of the world and politics and an air of professionalism that seems to keep her safe despite the dangers of her travels.

Hanako/Appearance: Hair is lined with gray, slightly pudgy. Thin glasses, very vivid eyes - constantly looking around and taking notes. Certainly wasn't expecting this on what was supposed to be a leisurely vacation in the Black Sea, but is taking things in stride. Dress sense is very professional and slightly conservative; military themes in civilian wear? Has a constant air of being unimpressed with the intents of the various factions to force a response, whether fear or awe - very subtle eye-roll and disbelief, or perhaps simply a smile that says 'no-sell'. Has a relative who's doing well in the JSDF, apparently.

Matthias Lund: One of the protagonist's connections, a Swedish national who came to the peninsula before you. 'Warchief' and his militia decided that Lund was clearly an agent provocateur, and have held him hostage as their primary prize in the hotel. Unlike other residents, who are released one way or the other fairly rapidly in the introduction, Lund is being held and paraded as a prisoner of war. What may turn his fate is if the protagonist is willing to recognize him as a colleague and convince the militia - one way or another - to let him go. If the protagonist fails or refuses to intervene, Lund is taken away and not seen again.

Personality, Lund is a bit aloof and dark-humoured, but with an unending capacity for compassion, even to those who have just held him captive. He has also been in the peninsula longer then you have, and is a very reliable source of information in the early-middle of the game. If you save him, he'll also be indebted to you - and contribute what help he may, whenever he can, even at great personal cost. Romance-able.

Matthias/Appearance: Blond-hair, clean-shaven, blue-eyed. Silver glasses, dour expression, fairly tall. He's not usually this glum, however - but he's been captive for a week, at least - and possibly longer. He rapidly returns to cordial and friendly relations with the protaganist if rescued, and will share a few jokes that the main heroes won't understand - as you two have been through a little together. Fairly muscular, but atrophied a bit - more sallow around the cheeks, maybe starting to show the onsets of middle-age. His teeth are really good, and his posture is unflinching - this just makes him look taller then he is; but he is, after all, just one man.

'Warchief': Leader of the first militia the players will hear about and encounter, and quite a figure; though players will not meet him (at first) directly. Leader of the South-Eastern Coastal District, which just so happens to control where the protaganist disembarked. Nothing happens without Warchief hearing about it. He has a very colloquial method of conversing with his subordinates - who are almost universally disenfranchised young and middle-aged men - constantly calling them 'my boys' or 'my guys'; may grow to think of the player that way as well, if the player helps him out (and regardless of gender).

Though he's genuinely concerned about Buyan and the people of the S-ECD, he's also paranoid, distrustful, arrogant and crass. Has a habit of saying horrific and offensive things without realizing them - flies into rage if accused of anything. Has brought a huge amount of stability and supply to the S-ECD, but no one really likes him; on the other hand, no one really dislikes him, and many prefer the S-ECD *with* Warchief to how it was before him.

Hugely distrusts the press and views them as agents of foreign power. Normally distrusts foreigners, but his gut tells him you're something different. Most people make the mistake that since Warchief is big and sometimes like a man-child, that he is a slob and fool. He is neither, and is an incredibly calculating and efficient ally - and a terrifyingly driven and vengeful foe.
Rescuing Matthias will alert you to the fact that Warchief suffers regular heart palpitations.
Warchief/Appearance: Huge in every way. Big, fat, broad, tall. Clearly was once incredibly muscular, but has let age and time deteriorate that. Bristly black stubble-beard and wide, friendly brown eyes. Wears a military uniform that has been modified to his specifications, and usually communicates with the protagonist via video. After all, just because he admires their gumption doesn't mean he's going to trust you easily. Bombastic gestures - very faux-military, indicative of the fact that he wasn't quite the ranker he wants to appear to be, but he knows a thing or two.
Last edited by Tatty on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tatty
Regular

Art

#7 Post by Tatty »

Style: The art style of is going to be divided into two sections; characters/demons and backgrounds. Art is the second-to-last category I'm planning on wrapping up. Systems must be in place and tested first, writing complete and solid, music in way to convey the feelings that will accompany art. Then, and only then can art be truly wrapped to the story.

Backgrounds: I am heavily inclined to collage out of photos and magazine clippings and felt. I think it'll most effectively convey the feel the I want, though I'm going to be testing it a bit in-game before I settle on it.

Characters/demons: Similarly, I am strongly thinking of adopting a sketchy and highly expressive style for the characters. At first, I was thinking of something like hyper-realism; then I started thinking about the angular characters in old propaganda art, and neither really clicked for me. Finally, I realized I wanted something I could sketch quickly, with loads of expression and expressiveness; though I'm sure this style may seem rather juvenile in contrast with the content, that's precisely the reason I'm growing fond of it. Regardless, it'll probably be some time until there's progress here. I'll likely be posting sketches when I feel like it, however.
Last edited by Tatty on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatty
Regular

Music

#8 Post by Tatty »

Music: Buyan's music is an eclectic mixture of re-mastered classical music, Eduard Artemievian fear-synth, modular and sampled post-cold-war-pop and natural ambiance. Certain influences and samples are used to indicate characters, themes, and alignments - it is my goal that the music will as much be an aide to the plot as any text. When I have a good working sample of soundtracks, I may upload some for consumption and discussion. Is Soundcloud considered reliable?
Last edited by Tatty on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatty
Regular

Systems

#9 Post by Tatty »

Systems: The meat of the game, and what I'm going to be attempting to tackle first, with a few bits of writing thrown in from time to time. Things that need to be done:

[*]2D-Dungeon Crawler for towns/dungeons. The over-world 'map' has regions that are selected, and which deposit you at a key location (usually a cab-stop) within them. Generally, the core area is 'safe'-ish and inhabited, while as you leave settled areas and go farther in each direction, you start encountering more demons and desperate humans. Similarly to classic Might and Magic, it may help to think of each town as a 16x16 grid, surrounded by smaller 8x8 grids, two in every cardinal direction; these are interconnected and represent wilderness zones. Due to the high level of military control, lack of supply, and dangerous conditions, traveling too far on foot is impossible, hence map boundaries.

[*]Party control system. How to summon allies, dismiss them, view their stats and sacrifice them. Needs a nice GUI as well.

[*]Battle engine: Get it so that statistics actually seem balanced. 50-limit, not 40? Starting limit is 15+1 in each stat?

These are the big ones. I'm not sure what is standard here - I'll probably be keeping this section blank unless I'm having real trouble with something, or to open a discussion on system B against system A, depending on whim and suggestion.
Last edited by Tatty on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tatty
Regular

Story

#10 Post by Tatty »

Storyboard:

Spoilers ahead, free-range!

Act I/Entr'acte:

[*]Protaganist wakes up to waves crashing outside four-tile wide hotel room. They can interact with their surroundings and attempt to leave, but soon realize what is up.
[*]Militia enters, and Protaganist is introduced to the first real faction in Buyan.
[*]Militia, out of drunken success and fear of reprisal, starts releasing hostages. Choice: Save Matthias through force, through diplomacy, or through bribes; pretend you do not know him.
[*]Once the hotel is clear, free to get information or contact superiors.
[*]Outside, Falcon mentions that some 'weird shit' has been seen recently. Cries for help alert you to Theodoulas.
[*]Save Theodoulas from the demon; alignment choice following.
[*]Protaganist becomes aware there are demons - as anti-militia forces roll in...
Last edited by Tatty on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatty
Regular

Frequently Asked Questions

#11 Post by Tatty »

Frequently Asked Questions:

Levels: When I was a young girl, I'd frequently run away from battles for two reasons. One, it got to the story quicker. Two - if you fought even a fraction of the enemies you encountered, bosses - who I always felt should be the meat of the game - were far, far too easy. It is my opinion that a strictly level-based system is unoptimal, nor does it really represent how a normal human gains 'power' very accurately.

As such, you do not gain 'Levels'. You gain 'Authority', representing how known and respected you are amongst Buyan. These raise in rank from 1-100, with every *10 giving you a title related to your current alignment path. Level has no practical purpose when it comes to statistics, but controls directly whether human or demon allies (barring the three 'main heroes' you meet) will join causes with you. Authority is 'capped' by regions you've unlocked, meaning you can raise it relatively rapidly to the max of wherever you are in the game... But you really shouldn't need to worry about it, instead watching it increase over time, naturally. More authority also means that people may recognize you, or have different reactions to you when you visit/revisit an area.

Statistics: Working differently for humans and demons, I wanted to do something different then the Megaten formula here. Humans do not gain statistics, barring your 'main hero' allies, who gain statistics depending on your actions and at certain points in the story. Rather, various - rather ominous - decisions can be made to strengthen the statistics and abilities of human characters far beyond the realm of what is normal or sane. Doing so may have repercussions, the largest of which is drawing you further into the pull of a certain faction or factions.

Statistics cap out at fourty, and you will not have nearly enough points to cap all of your statistics in a single playthrough - which is good, and to be expected. I want battles to be more about tactics and thought, rather then >rank MA and AGI, spam Tornado, Profit.

Tentatively, I've also broken up several statistics. The system is currently:

Strength (STR): Raw physical strength and muscle capacity. Large effect on damage for most melee/phys skills, minor effect on HP and to-hit with melee.
Coordination (COR): Hand-eye coordination. Large effect on to-hit chance, minor effect on turn order and damage for ranged/ranged skills.
Agility (AGI): Speed and movement; largest effect on turn order, minor effect on to-hit for all skills and evade chance.
Endurance (END): Resistance and personal constitution. Moderate effect on resilience to physical attacks, minor effect on HP and resistance to non-physical attacks.
Intelligence (INT): Represents awareness and quick-thinking, not any 'intellectual capability'. Large effect on mental skills/attack, minor effect on resistance to on-physical attacks and evade chance.
Willpower (WIL): Mental fortitude; ability to withstand extreme/prolonged duress. Moderate effect on resilience to non-physical attacks, minor effects on resistance to physical attacks and mental skills/attack.
Humanity (HUM): Cannot be raised by normal or supernatural means. Found only in humans. It is healthiest to keep this value at the center, but may have interesting effects if it tilts towards either extreme...
Luck: I've always hated this and I can finally purge it! AHAHAHAHAHAHA! The random number gods have been shackled in this game. You may not bribe them without the help of the legendary Game Djinn, who lives in a far-away kingdom, or so I hear tell...

Alignment: A mainstay of the Megaten series this project is heavily inspired by, Alignment in Buyan is represented as an axis that can heavily tilt towards one direction or another. This means you will always have an alignment you are most strongly 'attatched' to, a secondary alignment, and a tertiary. For one, this avoids neutrality being 'I took no action', though waiting and observation may still be neutral in tone, and for another, it allows alignment to be something more easily monitored by the player, rather then a behind-the-scenes number pull.

As an example, your NGO heavily favors Freedom, but would prefer even Order to a return to normalcy. This might effect negotiations with demons, reactions from citizens, etc. I'm also pretty sure that titles will check the axis for your Authority, though that's minor to getting the systems working.

Negotiation: Every round, you or a party member may attempt to 'negotiate' with a demon. You control your own negotiation, but trusting an ally means watching their conversation unfold, for better or for ill. Each demon has it's own variable, reset per battle, for negotiation success. Certain responses, conversational skills, and choices, may influence the starting value of this variable, making negotiation much shorter or even automatically successful.

Still other demons may never accept negotiation, or only negotiate for items or information. Negotiation with humans will often be entirely different, with many humans willing to respect you solely because of your Authority, regardless of your personal position or actions... Usually.

Demons will usually only talk for two-to-three choices per round, and given that options may be just as likely to displease them as they are to please them, it's best not to think of negotiation as being a one-round process, but something that may take several rounds, building consensus until success is reached. Flavor text will usually hint at the opinion of the demon in question, although more alien demons may be harder to read then more humanoid ones.

Given that each demon 'sprite' may represent small numbers to legions of demons, it is assumed that the demon you're talking to will always be the 'last' one standing. This is a bit silly, but better then any other realistic solution I've found so far, and thus I'm taking it. I choose to view it as, you're less likely to go after someone you've had some success negotiating with in the heat of a combat.

Equipment:

The player will not gain 'equipment' as such, their 'default kit' being acquired shortly after the game begins. Similarly, you aren't going to be collecting gold that pops into existence from the corpses of enemies. Rather, the ability to use your equipment - and things better then it by far - will be more important. You may receive key items or trinkets that functionally 'increase' a certain statistic or give a bonus to a certain skill, but it's better to think of them as accessories then equipment. I was actually a little inspired by Risk of Rain here; the symbolic nature of the objects in question is very important in the world of Buyan.

Sacrifice:Since demons don't gain authority, how does one make them stronger..? Rumours have begin to surface about this question, and the answer is disheartening to say the least. Demons become stronger through tribute - of items, emotions, and at most - the lives of others. Such sacrifices will allow you to strengthen a beloved demonic ally - but at what cost?

Sacrifice does not need to be human, and very few humans will object to the sacrifice of demons. But sacrificing humans achieves results more quickly, and may impart rarer skills to your demon allies. On the other hand, word of human sacrifice will get out VERY QUICKLY, and though may be tolerated or even encouraged by some factions, no one will like it if you sacrifice often, frequently, and without regard to anything.

Well, except, of course, your loyal demons...

The Druzhina Project: An alternative to the rampant rumors of human sacrifice - and worse - coming from Buyan, the Druzhina Project uses
________
-surplus technology smuggled in on the cheap to allow ordinary humans to fight demons on relatively equal footing. Though far more palatable then sacrifice as a means to strengthen human - or, potentially, demon - allies, there is of course a downside. Technology may give out easily, or eat away at certain abilities and strengths; and it is surplus gear for a reason on top of that.

Augmentations may be offered as a reward, requisitioned with faction 'favor' - your primary resource in the game - and repaired at several locations, though jury-rigged might be a better term... Making friends with smugglers will allow you to get higher-end equipment, and earlier; but the costs may be politically - and morally - unpalatable.

The best of the augmentations were untested - at best - and may have all sorts of unpleasant side effects, the most pressing of which is - though you are using human crafts to fight human battles against demonic forces, after you have replaced your vision with modifications to enhance sight, your legs with springblades and your shoulders with pistons, can you truly claim yourself 'human'?

On the other hand, you can also rocketpunch a demon to death, so there's that argument rendered null.

Faction favor: Though there are three alignments, there are multiple factions, usually grouped under the 'umbridge' of an alignment axis. Your actions may please multiple factions at once, or the reverse. Factions may change their position, name, or be destroyed entirely throughout the game - as such, the temptation to horde the currency of 'favor' should be abandoned, as all the good regard in the world won't mean much if your patrons are all dead.

As the most immediate use for faction favor is a safe place to rest and emergency medical supplies/healing items, there will usually be a friendly character near most regions willing to replenish your supply if you have completely exhausted them below a certain number, especially in the early game where you are going to be dependent on such measures.

Asked by Katta; What is the meaning of the title/will there be a subtitle?: Buyan is the name of an place that was, or will be, or might have been. I choose that for the name of my work because I feel it places the game firmly within a world like our own, and yet not; familiar and yet distant. For those unfamiliar with the term, I'm tentatively thinking about a more descriptive subtitle. Perhaps A Human Odyssey?

Asked by Katta; How many characters are planned to be romanceable?: All of the main cast, as well as perhaps three or four others - and, in a perfect world, there may be more additions in the post-release stage. Romance in Buyan will not necessarily last the course of the game, nor will it necessarily lead to a romantic ending - but it will have a drastic effect on your interactions with those whom you meet, and your own story.

Your question could be here!:
Last edited by Tatty on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatty
Regular

Demons

#12 Post by Tatty »

A key component of Buyan are Demons. Entities of myth and folklore with power to suit, they are nevertheless fellable with fire and steel, and as such may not be the most dangerous foe you will face. Emblematic of the many diverse beliefs humanity has, demons may resemble nothing so much as lenses with which the troubles engulfing the peninsula may be viewed. Although their morality is not our own, and each demon or group of demons may favour their own beliefs, demons may nevertheless come to find working with you a profitable, unavoidable, or even just arrangement.

Negotiating with demons is done by offering them favor, items, or pleasing statements. Each demon is planned to have their own negotiation sub-tree; this will lead to a situation where negotiations are likely not as complex or random as a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game, for those who have played Buyan's primary inspiration; but are a good deal more diverse, with each individual demon having lines of text specific to it.

Classified as well with demons are human groups - and eventually
post-humans
that have chosen to fight demons, each other, and anyone who looks at them funny. Treated as demons for the purpose of the game, they will nevertheless generally be easier to negotiate with... So long as your alignment matches their own.

Originally my plan was to have each 'clan' of demons have it's own designation. In Shin Megami Tensei, you might fight a 'Slime' of the 'Foul/Gedou' clan. Though I am still going to keep clans for purposes of organization, one of the few doubts I have had so far is whether to use Russian or English for the clan demonym; an example would be Human/Chelovik for baseline humans. I eventually decided to go with full English for two reasons; using the Russian word when everything else is functionally supposed to be many languages save for English in game feels silly and immersion breaking, secondly, I'll probably be anglicizing quite a few demon names, so...

Tribe of Humanity:

Adherent: Humans who believe strongly in the rule of law - which law, precisely, doesn't seem to matter - and a strong hand. Well-coordinated and often found in groups, these range from national militias of all parties, traditional authorities, military units and those who seek a swift and firm end to the insurrection and violence plaguing the peninsula. Adherents will often join you readily if you've demonstrated your commitment to ending the strife in the Peninsula, regardless of the cost, and having Adherents along with you may help you gain favour with certain parties...

[*]Patriot - Authority 2: Dedicated to the ideas of national self-strengthening, independence, and a greater unified country. Patriots can be found in many flavors, but tend not to be real fighters; merely very passionate. None of them expected the conflicts to turn into the mess that it has now, however; but pride, confusion, fear, and indeed patriotism itself are dangerously addictive and prevent an easy bowing down...
[*]Enforcer - Authority 8: Heavily armored riot police who can be found in several of the military districts. Capable of protecting civilians from the depredations of human looters and weaker demons alike, they nevertheless have a shoot-first policy, and have been heavily armed to keep the policy well-washed in blood and success.
[*]Elder - Authority 16: Several wandering ascetics have found themselves gifted with power beyond that which should be possible. Despite this, most remain humble and aloof from the world, only venturing out from their settlements to sell goods and provide healing and moral support to those lost in these troublesome times.
[*]Commando - Authority 25: Soldiers of a certain power. Very well-armed and equipped, and eager to suppress the chaos that erupts after events in the plot reach their logical conclusion. The best un-augmented humanity has to offer, but still only just capable of going toe-to-toe with stronger demon opponents.

Observer: Largely foreigners and international aid specialists, concerned citizens and self-proclaimed technocrats who are trying to calm all parties down. Underfunded and plagued with a sea of differing agendas, they are largely ineffective at enforcing a quick peace - but very effective at defending their own interests. Start off with a default friendliness towards the player.

[*]Militia - Authority 1: Don't expect much from these police; overworked, underpaid, and as the joke goes, there are always three; one who writes, one who reads, and one who is paid to keep watch over over-educated rabblerousers. That being said, none of them want to fight and are struggling desperately to fight off avaricious powers, demons, looters, and troublemakers. Most will gladly put down arms if you just negotiate with them... Although, old habits die hard, and they may desire a greasing of the wheels of justice to make this happen...
[*]Agent - Authority 9: Diplomats, perhaps? They can be found loitering around any area where the 'International Community' holds sway. Surprisingly decent combatants, they nevertheless prefer negotiation to combat, and will mostly only appear as enemies if certain actions are taken - and by that point, they may be more of a nuisance then a threat.
[*]Peacekeeper - Authority 14: Sent to maintain watch over strategic regions and provide aid. Very few have been briefed about the situation, let alone the threat of demons, and they are woefully unequipped for such realities. Despite this, however, Peacekeepers fight with ferocity and tenacity, and will put protecting the innocent on a high priority - mostly.
[*]
NIA Scout
- Authority 20: A well-trained individual backed up by the height of human technology, designed to infiltrate high-risk regions and gather information. Despite their relatively low Authority rank, they are very dangerous against humans and demons alike, and can make powerful allies.

Marauder: Locals who have nothing left to lose, who don't care who wins, or who simply want to see what happens if they push everyone's buttons. Ranging the gamut from independence activists, activists of independence from the regions advocating for independence, thugs, and followers of highly schismatic beliefs, Marauders tend to have very little in common with one another. If there was one unifying factor amongst them, it might be this - they will follow the strong, and if you prove your ability to lead by example, they'll likely follow you even if they disagree with you... If only to see where your path leads.

[*]Thug - Authority 1: Low-tier criminals, street-punks, and slovenly-squatting vagrants, Thugs don't actually want to kill anyone - not generally. But these young men and women are running scared, angry, and full of a fervor fueled by patriotism, anger at self-proclaimed patriots, and a vitriol that is born of stagnation and low chance of advancement. As time goes on, they will become less craven and more willing to kill for necessity, purpose, or sport - raising a point of Authority twice, to a maximum of 3.
[*]Rodnoverite - Authority 3: Self-proclaimed followers of the Old God Rod, in a strange and monotheistic faction. Fusing old and new beliefs and wearing clothes more akin to college fraternities then cultists, Rodnoverites are at once arrogant and cowardly, and will
change factions to Order at a certain point in the story. This is in no way a comment of the author on certain trends.
[*]Activist - Authority 9: Marginalized for an entire generation, the newly young seethe with resentment, largely at the newly rich. Desiring their own piece of the buy, nationalists, anarchists, socialists, capitalists, ecologists and a million other different causes jockey for an attempt to influence the various permutations of state being formed - and as time weeds out the pacifistic among them, those who remain are those willing to pursue propaganda of the deed.
[*]Heather-Dweller - Authority 21: Cultists of many gods, who have found within themselves a small shred of something resembling power. They fight simply because they can, or because the spirits tell them to do so, or because it is enjoyable. Despite this, they usually avoid those who avoid them - but defend sites that seem to have a great holy significance to them, and only to them. Woe be it that such sites often contain great stores of food, medicine, and supplies...

Tatty
Regular

Alignment

#13 Post by Tatty »

The subject of Alignment is the subject of how you feel about anything. No one person can easily have their codes of life, their morals and outlooks compressed into a single word, or even many; but the three alignments present in Buyan attempt to measure your character's views on a primeval level. As the situation degenerates, possibilities that wouldn't be thinkable in a normal and rational world become available; whether this is something to cherish or fear - or something else entirely - is up to you, and to your choices in the game.

Firstly, there are three alignment 'suffixes' - Dawn, Noon, and Dusk.

Dawn represents a willingness to compromise, to work with others, and to abandon your personal beliefs in the interest of reaching a solution either immediate or long-term. Violence is to be shunned over discussion, and idealistic realism trumps the day. All three heroes and the player began with a suffix of Dawn. This may change as the game progresses.

Noon is caution, conservatism, and a trend towards being unwilling to rock the boat. Almost all humans have Noon as their alignment suffix; due to certain innate resistances humans have, demons tend to view Noontide as being emblematic of the Gift of Humanity; though what that means may be left to demons to discuss.

Dusk is based around immediacy, action, and sacrificing a friend who disagrees with you to achieve a desired result. Though someone who sees nothing wrong in harming a friend would be considered of Dusk, so would someone who leaps into a fire to save a stranger. Violence and force are to be considered when they meet the goals of the individual or group.

Each suffix is largely unchanging, and affected by the permeable alignment matrix that composes of the following three alignments. Known as the primary alignments, they are used to gauge much about where humans and demons stand and through it attempt to come to a rapid conclusion in negotiation... Though relying solely on alignment has proven to be dangerous to many a would-be negotiator.

Order is an alignment that involves thinking of the group, civil order, and a hierarchy of needs. At it's best, this is safety, security, and justice for those allowed into a realm of Order; at worst, Order can be despotic, strict, and exploitative. Although Order often provides the most security for those at the bottom of this hierarchy, there is and old saying that there cannot be emperors without the support of the backs of the populace. Perhaps the most commonplace alignment, Order is usually dogmatic and immune to fracturing within itself - when it does, however, as is the case in Buyan, you have many groups and individuals that claim to represent the 'true' authority: Lost, leaderless, and clueless, willing to exploit a situation to achieve power and THEN re-establish control.

Positively, choices that affect Order might be:

- Sacrificing time and effort pursuing a demon that has been killing isolated - but important - targets to defend a rural village, arranging for local warlords to supply the village in return for the village swearing 'fealty' to them, or working with a power claiming to represent civilian government in re-establishing control over a restive region.

- Dissuading through word, deed, or bullet a group of dissenters from holding a peaceful march in a restive town on the cusp of rebellion. Even further still, convincing them to return to the situation they were protesting against and of the validity of their work, suffering, or station sways your alignment towards Order.

- Constantly consulting your group or any group for approval and then adopting their suggestions may shift your alignment towards Order. Similarly, delivering commands and expecting them to be obeyed instantaneously without complaint is emblematic of Order.

Neutrality is an alignment that involves humanity coming first in all things. At it's best, Neutrality represents a laying down of arms, a consensus of ideas, and a willingness to work together despite differences to create a future that is bright and successful. At it's worst, Neutrality is an apathetic world-weariness that has no interest in crises, for they are too common; that does not wish to discuss different opinions because they are hurtful, and do not wish to dream because dreams are dangerous.

Neutrality thrives in places where basic needs are met, and people regularly engage with one another. Those that favor Neutrality, regardless of whether they are burnt-out and exhausted or enthusiastic and hopeful - or something entirely else - tend to congregate in small groups that can operate independently or together, and usually focus on regional issues rather than long-term plans or short-term gains. Generally favoring whichever authority has proven the most long-lived and most 'just', Neutrality is the default alignment of the character at the start of the game.

Positively, choices that affect Neutrality might be:

- Refusing to stop hunting down a demon that has been killing isolated - but important - targets, but returning to the village after your primary objective has been completed, and working with the villagers to rebuild and become self-sufficient - negotiating their independence with local authorities and warlords so that all parties may co-exist.

- Discussing the grievances of demonstrators against a certain faction and then discussing the grievances of those whom they are demonstrating against and attempting to arbitrate a satisfactory compromise. Similarly, defending the right of the demonstrators to protest despite the risk that their protest may be especially dangerous in this time of demons, regardless of the danger.

- Constantly consulting your group while putting forth your own ideas, whether you accept them or those of your allies, is a Neutral decision. Similarly, delivering commands but allowing them to be challenged, discussing the reasons why, and expecting logical rationale for the decisions of your group would be a Neutral solution.

Freedom is an alignment that involves personal liberty in all things, regardless of the cost. At it's best, Freedom represents celebration, creativity, innovation and the ability of any and all individual to do as they will. At it's worst, Freedom creates a society of paranoia, vapidity and self-interest perfectly willing to use force and dialectic to expand their own interests, with a justification of might legitimizing their decisions. Freedom is generally viewed as at once a pinnacle to uphold, and a hopelessly archaic - and dangerous - alignment, that, much like fire, can easily spiral out of control.

Freedom exists in the hearts of many, but very few would defend Freedom to the point of taking up arms. Those that do, do so for myriad reasons and tend to be few in numbers, but extremely dedicated. Their vocal nature often means that despite small numbers, those who pursue Freedom often influence 'beyond their weight' in public discourse. Given that Freedom encompasses a huge amount of wildly differing sub-choices, most followers of Freedom tend to work by themselves or in small groups; these groups are often not like-minded, but instead compose of different-issue individuals who rely on their lack of opinions on each others issues to stay (somewhat) cohesive.

Positively, choices that affect Freedom might be:

- Ignoring your objective and teaching the villagers to become self-sufficient, then leading raids against the corrupt authorities and warlords that have been exploiting them. Similarly, finding the demon and beating it into submission, and then forcing it to become a protector of the village on pain of sacrifice.

- Without listening to the demands of the authorities, joining the protestors regardless of the risk of destabilization that such an action may pose. Alternatively, convincing the authorities to concede defeat one way or another, or even stopping to influence the local politics in favor of demonstrators would generally be in line with Freedom.

- Going your own way and not expecting your group to agree with you, whether you accept their opinions or disagree with them would be a Freedom-aligned choice. Similarly, giving orders and not caring whether or why they're obeyed, or consulting your group and ignoring them regularly would be differing approaches to Freedom.

Suika
Regular

#14 Post by Suika »

This looks really interesting! I've always been a fan of games with political intrigue, especially RPGs. I'm bookmarking this, and look forward to following your progress ^^

I have to admit though, I had a similar first impression to that of Katta - "woah, wall of text" - more so from reading the supplements you wrote in the comments than the OP itself (I thought the majority of the OP had a nice flow to it). Based on the first two comments, it feels like you've cleaned it up a bit.
Tatty wrote:I'm actually looking into a way to implement something similar to the html <spoiler> or <detail> tags, as they would allow me to much more efficiently use this thread for it's two main purposes:

Demonstrating what Buyan is all about, and allowing me to organize my thoughts into a handy self-reference as I work.

Also, if you'd like, I can update the thread proper when it's more clear and concise, so that people don't have to wade through my walls of words until they're more reader-friendly?
I understand that part of your goal for this thread is to organize your thoughts and designs for use as a "self-reference," and I think it is great that you're revealing your design to followers of this game as you go (I think this is a big help to other designers - old and new alike - and helps build interest and community involvement at an early stage). Nevertheless, having everything (i.e. walls of text) on a forum board like this can be off-putting to newcomers, which may have the opposite effect.

Have you considered condensing the first post to a largely abbreviated summary page, and hosting the other details elsewhere, say a blog, Google drive, etc? Similarly, have you considered turning this into a design document? That, too, might help accomplish the goals you listed, without turning off new readers.

It would be nice if we could use HTML-style spoilers here, but I'm not aware of a solution along those lines.
Tatty wrote: As for the name - I'll probably end up keeping it as it is. There's a significance to it that may not be immediately apparent, but is definitely key to the game as I wish to write it. That being said - I'll definitely think about adding a title sub-name, perhaps something more descriptive that hooks potential interest and explains what this story is all about.
A subtitle may help, but I agree with Katta that other options could be more powerful. Note: if you are making this solely as a hobby (i.e. just for you), then please ignore the following comment.

It'd be nice to know who your target audience is. My first impression wasn't that the TA would have any knowledge of Slavic mythology. Along those lines, a title only means as much as the audience can interpret. If you have to explain the title, it might mean that the title isn't accomplishing it's job (that is, to draw your audience in, and entice them to play the game; some exceptions apply) and you run the risk of losing some attention.

Additionally, it might help to re-evaluate how important that specific title is. Does it accomplish a job that no other title can accomplish, and does/would your audience relate & feel as passionate as you about said title (once again, this is your game. If you are writing it primarily for yourself, and not for other, then this comment can be safely ignored).
Tatty wrote: ...although I appreciate your concern... I am neither a new hand at VN's in either Ren'Py or other things, nor novels.

-snip-

If you don't mind, I'm curious why you chose to leave a comment like this. It was certainly interesting, but it doesn't really seem to relate to anything I've discussed in either this thread or the general questions thread?
I think gekiganwing intended to offer helpful advice, not to discourage or criticize you. While it might not have related to a topic or theme explicitly mentioned in your OP, it did have significance relating to the project as a whole, specifically the process and development thereof. I believe the intention was to comment in that aspect. [Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds into your conversation >.<, sorry if I am]
Tatty wrote: My hope is that the choices in the game will get harder to make as the game goes on. Often a game 'locks' you into a path, meaning that even if you've had moral qualms about your decisions beforehand, you can set them aside after you've hit enough decisions/branches. My goal in shattering that is meaning that even when you're given two choices that lead to outcomes favorable to you, your character, and your worldview, there are still sacrifices to be made and things to lost - and gained.
I hope so too ^^
This sounds excellent, and I am rooting for you to pull it off!

Before I forget (long post, sorry v.v), here are answers to your questions:

Since these are primarily character-building questions, it is relevant to mention that I am having trouble immersing myself in the protagonist. The description had some evasive phrases (i.e. it seems like...). I think the intention was to give the player the freedom to shape the protagonist, in which case, here are my responses, using my interpretation of the protagonist description (Chaotic Neutral) to fill in the character gaps:

Local militaleader 'Warchief' has offered you a great deal of money and a promise of security if you'll find a way to remove United Nations observers from his territory... One way or another. He's also offered you the service of a strong demon for your personal use if you accept. You...
Tell him I'll need a budget for 'operational expenses' on top of what he offered.

Several agents of a highly respected international newspaper have struggled to find someone to talk to openly. You've worked with them in the past, and know their top goal is to sell a story. They want to interview the emotionally fragile family you've just managed to have your demonic allies pull from the ruins of a building; but you also know that the outside world has heard very little about what is going on, and spreading the word might attract more outside aid. You...
Question who I am. The persona I was building just had problems with the "have your demonic allies pull [some people] from the ruins of a building" part. Perhaps I destroyed a building just to rescue some people and gain their eternal gratitude... The protagonist has some interesting schemes... x)

Halfway to the 'Pannonian Fields' agroplex, your ride gives out. While Mstislav fixes it, you're attacked by a gang of hoodlums. They're half-starved and clearly desperate, doing this out of need and not malice, and will likely strike someone else if you drive them off; but they are also desperate. You...
If I have enough resources, I'll kill them instead of driving them off. I feel like taking the "raze and rebuild" route first ^.^

Tatty
Regular

#15 Post by Tatty »

Thanks for your reply! Mine'll be wordy because I favour textwalls, awahah; consider it my way of making up for only updating once(ish) a week or so.
Suika wrote:I have to admit though, I had a similar first impression to that of Katta - "woah, wall of text" - more so from reading the supplements you wrote in the comments than the OP itself (I thought the majority of the OP had a nice flow to it). Based on the first two comments, it feels like you've cleaned it up a bit.

I understand that part of your goal for this thread is to organize your thoughts and designs for use as a "self-reference," and I think it is great that you're revealing your design to followers of this game as you go (I think this is a big help to other designers - old and new alike - and helps build interest and community involvement at an early stage). Nevertheless, having everything (i.e. walls of text) on a forum board like this can be off-putting to newcomers, which may have the opposite effect.
It's funny you should mention this, as I was having a discussion with a friend about this very matter. As much as I loath Google, and as embarrassing as my drive might be, I figure that might be the best option. That being said, I suppose I could also look into Copy, or perhaps even finally use my darn tumblr that I never ever update...

My intention from the beginning was to have this be a design doc, or rather a collection of them. I'm increasingly seeing the limitations of having it be on a forum proper, ahaha - given that I'll probably be playing around with migration tomorrow (as it's a holiday from work for me), do you have any other suggestions? Keep in mind that, due to the sort of person I am, I may simply decide to go for one and run off on blindly ahead... :P
Note: if you are making this solely as a hobby (i.e. just for you), then please ignore the following comment.
Done and dusted, but never ignored - you made a very valid point, I just hate the idea of doing something I love for money. I do have a funky kind of logic behind that madness, but trust me when I say that I'm much more interested in getting the project done then finding a focus audience. ;) Thank you for the consideration, all the same - and it's certainly good advice for those writers seeking to produce craft for cash and wide exposure!
I think gekiganwing intended to offer helpful advice, not to discourage or criticize you. While it might not have related to a topic or theme explicitly mentioned in your OP, it did have significance relating to the project as a whole, specifically the process and development thereof. I believe the intention was to comment in that aspect. [Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds into your conversation >.<, sorry if I am]
Never fear, boundaries are simply lines on maps designed to be joyously marched across! ;) I actually wrote gekiganwing privately afterwards to clarify, having had a hunch similar to yours but also unsure if I was reading them wrong. I appreciated both their comment and yours, after all! And I'm quite glad you're looking forward to the more flexible route paths; more on that tonight or tomorrow afternoon, depending on how late I stay up watching terribad horror cinema.
Before I forget (long post, sorry v.v), here are answers to your questions:
Never be sad for long posts. ;) I think it's a safe guess that most people here are pretty passionate about words - at the very least, I can say with certainty I am.
Since these are primarily character-building questions, it is relevant to mention that I am having trouble immersing myself in the protagonist. The description had some evasive phrases (i.e. it seems like...). I think the intention was to give the player the freedom to shape the protagonist, in which case, here are my responses, using my interpretation of the protagonist description (Chaotic Neutral) to fill in the character gaps:
That's fine - I haven't given the player or reader too much information on the protaganist so far, and there's a good deal of freedom in their in-game background planned. I don't usually enjoy writing such faceless types, but given the mesh of VN and RPG, I think it's necessary. My love of Strange Journey is probably showing, though... Anyway. Chaotic Neutral, eh? Glad to hear it. :)

It's safe to spoil that many of the questions I'm writing here are like trailers for exceptionally interesting looking movies - composed of scenes that may not be in the finished game proper. ;) They're designed to give a taste of situations the player could encounter, rather then situations the player will encounter. That being said - it seems like you've already entrenched yourself deeply into the mindset I was hoping to see in the player, troubles with it or no.

For one, I must commend you on your innovative approach to resource-accrual in the face of tragedy. I sincerely hope you'll get along with some of the demon allies I've got planned here... :D

Regarding the "raze and rebuild route" it's interesting that you'd feel inclined to go that route first. Do you mind if I ask you why? Because you feel it'll be the best in the long term, because you feel more empathy with even hints of demons then humanity, because why not, because you've always wanted to carve out your own petty-fiefdom supported by demonic retainers..? ;P

Again - thank you for your thoughtful response.

To everyone, though I may have plucked a solution out of the aether by the time I respond, do you have a particular preference for what I'll migrate the bulk of all the topics here to? I'm tempted to roll with SpiderOak at the moment, and use SoundCloud for music samples, probably. Similarly, should I only update the thread with big news, simply edit it to mention changes for those interested, etc? I'm hoping that by next week, this'll be pretty enough to not be too terribly frightening... ;P