Eisenblumen(name might change later) [ADV | WWII | Drama]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
MichaelTheGhost

Eisenblumen(name might change later) [ADV | WWII | Drama]

#1 Post by MichaelTheGhost »

Update - 06/12/2014

Originally an idea for a 6 chapter comic book base on much longer story. About men and women who involve in the bloodiest conflict in human history. And it a little bit of an alternative history. So that I can have a female solider.

Game Features(at least aiming for)
-Multiple playable characters for main storyline.
-At least 4 playable characters each with different story (but as part of the main story).
- 3 ending.
-At least 5 short story.

Plot
Main storyline (Kampfgruppe)
- Roswitha Lares - Following the life of the battle hardened tank commander from the Spanish Civil war to the Fall of Berlin.
- Michael Galloway - Watching a platoon of elite infantry struggle in the unforgiving battle on the Eastern front.
- Friederike Koenig - a paratrooper.
- Cecilia Reinhard - a fighter pilot.

Extra episodes (Eisenblumen)
Dying Nation - a short story about the tank ace in the last phase of war on the Western front.
The Butcher - a short story about the interceptor pilot who fight against the US B-17 formation.
Wooden Crosses - a short story about heavy infantry unit on the Eastern front.
Ghost of the Eastern Front - a short story about recon team on the Eastern front.
Into the Abyss - a short story about U-boat.

Major Characters

[Sprite - WIP]
Roswitha Lares - Female - Age 20 (as 1934) - Height 164 cm
Daughter of the Great War heroine. A natural born genius who also inherit a strong leader ship from her mother. Joining the army to get benefit form the recruitment campaign.

Michael Galloway - Male - Age 20 (as 1934) - Height 175 cm
An American who live in Germany. Joining the army to protect the lady who he care the most.

Support Characters
Charlotte Samson - Female - Daughter of French family who immigrated to Germany. Joining army due to financial problem.
Moritz Mauser - Male - Childhood friend of Roswitha. Seeking for thrill of combat.
Klothilda Eisenhauer - Female - Roswitha best friend. They live together and will die together. So she sign up along side her.

Some Concept Arts

a sketch for now abandon comic project.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... f336cd.png

Here are a wallpaper I draw for the original long story name "KAMPFGRUPPE". Which will be use in this.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... c878c3.png

Some of minor character for Rose (Roswitha) story. Well, along with a detail about German Panzer field jacket. Which also bring up the point that I want this to be as close as what they are historically. Both uniforms and equipments as well as unit organization, Oder of Battle, etc.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 934d61.png
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... f52026.png

Also, these minor character life will depend on your choice. With right decisions you could bring them all home or getting so many replacement that your MC stop to care who they are and become just a faceless cannon folder instead of a family (Because I'm not going to make a tons of these individual for you to kill them off till the end.). And sometime the choice might also end your MC life.

Some Question
1. Is this too ambitious? I spent 4 year researching and writing but this is all detail I can think about. I mean I had idea about a big major plot event(Like they personality, where they went, how they fight.). However, I never really think about what they do day by day.

2. Is this in a scope that 1 man could archive? If yes how far could I push beyond this? I would like to make a strategy game someday. I had some basic coding since high school (I wish I know more about code instead of how many cook there are in German Infanterie Division.). A decent art. Right now I'm studying Multimedia and Animation. You know, I wish this would be good enough for some studio to accept and animated it in the future. I don't how long it take. But some day I want it to be finish.

3. Should I made up a female uniform? Field uniform will be probably the same but the service and the fancy one. Or should uniforms be unisex?

4. Which art style would you prefer? The Screenshot and Eisenblumen cover? The old Kampfgruppe? Or the one in uniform info(which I draw when I was lazy).
Last edited by MichaelTheGhost on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raistlintg
Regular
Projects: Silver (VN)

Re: Eisen Blumen(name might change later) [ADV | WWII | Dram

#2 Post by raistlintg »

Yay, another realistic military VN !
But we don't cover the same period so we won't step on each other foot.

1) Is it too ambitious ? --> depends on the number of words and sprites
Apparently you want to draw 3 uniforms for some characters (fancy, field, service) : be careful, begin with one uniform (one layer for the body, one for uniform) and once you've finished every sprite see if you still have enough energy for 2nd and 3rd uniform.

2) It seems you don't need an answer anymore.

3) You say you wish to know more about code instead of historical information --> I don't agree, if these informations help you write a wonderful story, then maybe concentrate on that and keep your strategy game for later ?

4) "My" uniforms are unisex, seems more logical to me.

5) The screenshot. Given your style, I think your final sprites should have a "lead pencil drawn" feeling.
I love your art, by the way.

Good luck, and don't think too much about the future : draw, write, move forward step by step... I think.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Eisen Blumen(name might change later) [ADV | WWII | Dram

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

If you want the name to be authentic German, it's "Eisenblumen". We Germans love to combine nouns into one new word - "capital city" becomes "Hauptstadt", "chief of medicine" becomes "Chefarzt", and, as Mark Twain pointed out, "Lattengitterwetterkotterhottentottenbeutelratte" is a perfectly valid (though slightly unusual) German word.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

MichaelTheGhost

Re: Eisenblumen(name might change later) [ADV | WWII | Drama

#4 Post by MichaelTheGhost »

Thank you for the reply.

Well, I just update the main post and make some change. Also delete some part that was change because keeping it would make things become confusing. As with the new info. I think of adding a storyboard of the comic as extra chapter. Because it's intend to be one-shot so the story is quite different from the main story. And since the main post would be use for character and information of the story line only. This post will be use for the short story.

Ghost of the Eastern Front

Plot
Following Private Karl Fahrion. New member in the elite recon unit commanding by battle hardened veteran, Captain Michael Galloway. Roaming the Russian countryside. As the Soviet offensive campaign "Operation Bagration" was set in motion.

Main Characters

[Sprite - Placeholder]
Grenadier/Füsilier(Private) Karl Fahrion - Female - Age 19 (as 1944) - Height 167 cm
From a noble family. She enlist to help her country. After graduated from the camp with outstanding performance. She was handpick into Galloway unit.

Hauptmann(Captain) Michael Galloway - Male - Age 30 (as 1944) - Height 175 cm
He may be American but he fought for Germany in this war longer than many people. After several years on the Eastern front. He has gain himself many title by both friend and foe.

Support Characters

Stabsfeldwebel(Sergeant Major) Tomas Matter - Male - Age 48 (as 1944) - Height 182 cm

Unterfeldwebel(Staff Sergeant) Alfred Bubeck - Male - Age 29 (as 1944) - Height 173 cm
[Sprite - Placeholder]
Obergefreiter(Corporal) Gertrud Kalscheur - Female - Age 28 (as 1944) - Height 171 cm

Oberfüsilier(Private First Class) Hermann Peper - Male - Age 20 (as 1944) - Height 185 cm

I'm probably working on these short first because they are short.

raistlintg
Regular
Projects: Silver (VN)

#5 Post by raistlintg »

I'm probably working on these short first because they are short.
Good idea.
You first question was "is the project too ambitious ?"
Maybe you could use these short stories as a first game, some sort of introduction to the universe.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Karl is a male name. Unless this character insists on being called Karl as a nickname, I suggest you use Karla instead.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

MichaelTheGhost

#7 Post by MichaelTheGhost »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Karl is a male name. Unless this character insists on being called Karl as a nickname, I suggest you use Karla instead.
It was intended.

Well, many things happen and I'm quite busy. But the main reason this had been halted is because I did more research and found out that I did it wrong.
There is no way the actual veteran would act the same way as in my story so. I'm pretty much scrap it.
Probably going to be focusing on more conflict between fresh recruit who were eager to fight and the veterans who just want to quit.
Since originally they were going along too well. Previously is like how senior student would treat freshman. Not anywhere near how veteran would treat a recruit.

Anyway, this is a finished sprite on the veterans side.
Kalscheur - casual/working dress. There is going to be another with combat gears.