Panaderia Ensaimada[Friendship][Slight BxB][Baking][Comedy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Panaderia Ensaimada[Friendship][Slight BxB][Baking][Comedy]

#1 Post by akemicchi »

I couldn't wait for NaNoRenO so now I'm trying to make a game in a month. I started earlier in January, took a week long (*cough*10 day*cough*) break last week, and now I'm taking it up again. I figure I'll make a thread so I'll feel pressured to finish on time, hahaha.

[Management Sim][Slight BxB][Friendship][Baking][Alchemy][Comedy]
Story
It’s no surprise that more bakeries are popping up in the capital. It’s the Bread Kingdom, after all. Unfortunately, the increased competition is causing the Panaderia to flounder. Having defaulted on payment once already, Ensaimada is granted until the end of the month to come up with rent or lose his beloved bakery.

As if that wasn’t big enough of a problem, Ensaimada can’t help himself when meets a homeless man that loves his food. Against his better judgement, he takes him in. Will he be able to save his shop with competition taking his customers and a new resident eating away at his profits?

Features
  • Only one route (Coco)
  • Manage money, expand your bakery, make high quality ingredients, raise skills, and sell pastries
  • ~10 CGs
  • Random character events
  • A Mood system which affects your success rates at certain activities
  • Multiple endings
Characters
ENSAIMADA
The protagonist. A young baker trying to keep his bakery. He looks kind, but his personality doesn’t quite match his handsome face. Serious, hardworking, and temperamental, he makes it no secret that he prefers the company of bread over people.

Although he’s got a rough attitude, he’s a lot more softhearted than he’d like other people to know.
PAN DE COCO
A homeless but well-dressed man Ensaimada takes into his home. He might seem calm, cool, and collected, but the truth is he’s just strange. Coco is incredibly lazy and-- for a hobo-- rather spoiled. Fortunately, he’s easily motivated with food, especially Ensaimada’s pastries.

His past is shrouded in mystery, but he’s apparently more than just some no-good leech…
SENORITA
Despite her homely looks, Senorita is a business magnate owning most of the land in Bread Kingdom, including Ensaimada’s bakery. She may look and act kind, but she didn’t come to own half of the kingdom by being soft.
MONAY
Ensaimada’s supplier. A good man, but not all that smart. Monay treats his customers like his friends, which usually ends up being bad for his business. He bustles with energy and happiness, though strangely his boundless spirit often drains people instead of energizes them.
KING TORTA
Bread Kingdom’s current ruler, King Torta, retreated from the public eye due to grave sickness 20 years ago. He has been in rule for almost 80 years, and the last time he was seen by the common people, he was a frail, withered old man in the troughs of death. Who is this kid then? Did the palace just declare a new king without letting the public know? And what does he have to do with Ensaimada and Coco!?

Progress

Code: Select all

The game contains 172 dialogue blocks, containing 2,400 words and 12,515
characters, for an average of 14.0 words and 73 characters per block.

The game contains 3 menus, 23 images, and 14 screens.
  • 10% Writing (Target wordcount: 15k-20k words)
  • 60% Sprites (3/5 Characters Complete!)
  • 0% Item Images (0/??)
  • 0% Backgrounds (0/6)
  • 0% Music
  • 60% Programming
    -- Recipes, Moods, Items, Customers, Shop Ranking, Inventory, Stats: Working and Complete!
    -- Day planner and Activities still need work. Screens, too.
  • 10% GUI
    -- Game window and font done
    -- Everything else needs work.
Screenshots
No screenshots until I get BGs done or at least the Day Planner screen, but here's a picture of the sprites!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Panaderia Ensaimada[Friendship][Slight BxB][Baking][Come

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Beautiful. Amazing. Top notch. I'm super excited and I can't wait to learn more about how the game play stuff will work *v*. Also the character names are great X3.

Good luck!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#3 Post by Shaples »

I'm already so excited for this XD

Your art is gorgeous, and I can tell it's going to be hilarious when these characters butt heads. AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GRUMPY BAKER?

Also: where can I sign up to adopt the sassy pirate friendly supplier?

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4 Post by curry nochi rice »

naming characters after breads / pastries.
>names that sound all but TOO familiar to me.
>Even coco's hair has the color of coconut grating used in pan de coco.
>Heck even Ensaimada looks cheesy as hell. Like the irl ensaimada.
>Give me pan de sal plox. inb4 pan de leche for lelz.

I don't know anymore! I myself am a bread lover so... yeah... I'll keep an eye on this. :v /

and yeah, viva madre patria. ;v /
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

shaye

#5 Post by shaye »

I never was a big fan of this kind of game (the whole management thing, I mean) but for some reason this one caught my eye o:! I'll be looking forward to updates and the release, good luck with it!
(The art looks gorgeous by the way, I adore it.)

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#6 Post by Catlip Candy »

I love their names so much! >U< And the art, too! Though I don't know if I can keep up with the baking game. I'm not good with games that needs to raise skills status. So I'll probably get a bad ending >_< I am more looking forward to Coco's background. He's a mystery! And Pan de Coco is my fave bread! :lol:
This game reminds me of Yakitate Japan! And my brother and I love that anime! I'll be looking forward to this VN!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Ohh I saw this on Twitter :0 Goodluck!! Monay is love haha
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

#8 Post by khnachi »

Interesting concept and I just love their names, (naming them after breads makes me hungry//hits), your art is lovely as always...and right now I'm loving king "Torta''//is there I reason why he and senorita are not named after a bread?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Oh, this looks fun! :)
khnachi wrote:Interesting concept and I just love their names, (naming them after breads makes me hungry//hits), your art is lovely as always...and right now I'm loving king "Torta''//is there I reason why he and senorita are not named after a bread?
I'm guessing Torta is Torta because he's royalty and wouldn't consider himself on equal footing with bread (assuming his name refers to cake). Today the word is often used to mean sweet cakes of the sort eaten at birthdays and weddings.

But it's interesting---a quick Wikipedia search tells me that torta means different things across Latin America. (In Spain, apparently, tortas used to be considered an inferior type of bread.)

And the king is already a walking contradiction . . . :lol:
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets

#10 Post by akemicchi »

@ Googaboga
Googaboga! Thank you! Hopefully it'll be entertaining; I'm putting a lot more work in the gameplay than everything else, hahaha!

@ Shaples
Thank you! Hopefully it'll be fun to play! (Though I should probably base their personalities off the food they're influenced by, but then everyone would be sweet. ;;; Actually, it'd be pretty hilarious if Ensaimada had a cheesy personality...)
Feel free to take Monay. You'll want to return him soon with how obnoxious he can get, haha.

@curry nochi rice
omg, I'd love to put a pan de sal and pan de leche in the game but I have too many characters already. Maybe if I make an expanded version. I really ought to keep the current scale small; I just want to finish this game really quick, haha.

@shaye
Thank you! I'm glad you'll give it a try. The management sim part is pretty much the bulk of the game though, but I'll try to temper it with a reasonable amount of scenes and events.
(And thank you very much!!)

@Fake Existence
I'll be adding a casual mode so it'll be easier to succeed, don't worry! I don't want to make the game too hard unless the players want a challenge.
Yeeees, another pan de coco fan. I love 'em, too; they're soooo good! ;___;
LOL, if this game can be anything like Yakitate!! Japan, I'll be happy. o|-<

@Hazel-Bun
Hazel-Bun! Thank ye!!

@khnachi
I hope the game will make you hungry. That's the point.
Also, Senorita is a bread! (it's so good omg) And so is Torta (at least the Mexican one). I was actually going to rename him 'Mamon' which is why I turned his hair yellow... I might change it back to brown, since he's more based off the Mexican torta.
But now that I think about it, they both probably count as pastries more than bread (if you see Torta as the Filipino torta). I-It's a bakery game! I-It's fine if they're not all bread, right?! Should I name the Bread Kingdom to Pastry Kingdom instead?

@ Mad Harlequin
Mad Harlequin wrote:But it's interesting---a quick Wikipedia search tells me that torta means different things across Latin America. (In Spain, apparently, tortas used to be considered an inferior type of bread.)
Haha, I-I just named them all after food I want to eat. But that's fine; this tidbit of information actually fits with the character I have for him.

khnachi
Veteran

#11 Post by khnachi »

Mad Harlequin wrote: I'm guessing Torta is Torta because he's royalty and wouldn't consider himself on equal footing with bread (assuming his name refers to cake). Today the word is often used to mean sweet cakes of the sort eaten at birthdays and weddings.

But it's interesting---a quick Wikipedia search tells me that torta means different things across Latin America. (In Spain,
apparently, tortas used to be considered an inferior type of bread.)

And the king is already a walking contradiction . . . :lol:
Whoa really, that sounds like a pretty interesting concept.. a king having a peasant(ish) name now that will make the plot interesting.
akemicchi wrote:I hope the game will make you hungry. That's the point.
Also, Senorita is a bread! (it's so good omg) And so is Torta (at least the Mexican one). I was actually going to rename him 'Mamon' which is why I turned his hair yellow... I might change it back to brown, since he's more based off the Mexican torta.
But now that I think about it, they both probably count as pastries more than bread (if you see Torta as the Filipino torta). I-It's a bakery game! I-It's fine if they're not all bread, right?! Should I name the Bread Kingdom to Pastry Kingdom instead?
I didn't know Senorita was a type of bread, I was actually thinking of a type of banana when I first saw her name./lol
I think bread kingdom sounds fine, the two main characters are bread afterall. And just because its a bread kingdom doesn't mean all the citizens should be a type of bread, maybe pastries can be like immigrants coming from a different kingdom or something like that.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#12 Post by curry nochi rice »

khnachi wrote: I didn't know Senorita was a type of bread, I was actually thinking of a type of banana when I first saw her name./lol
I think bread kingdom sounds fine, the two main characters are bread afterall. And just because its a bread kingdom doesn't mean all the citizens should be a type of bread, maybe pastries can be like immigrants coming from a different kingdom or something like that.
inb4 Eclair is an immigrant from a country north of the bread kingdom.... while Pavlova is from the southern hemisphere.
Oh god my sweet tooth. :lol:
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

akemicchi
Veteran

#13 Post by akemicchi »

Hahaha, while I'd love to delve really deep into world building like the political stances of a kingdom of bread and the implications of a foreign/commoner king, I don't think I'll be able to do it well given the game's scale. I don't think I have enough characters to make it work in a meaningful way and I won't have enough time to dedicate to establishing the conflict in a relevant way. Not to mention I have to address the foreigners-versus-natives conflict at some point and... I-It's just a game about bread gijinkas.

I don't know, I'll just see where the script takes me! It's a good and interesting idea-- it'll help immerse players into the world and help them see the setting more clearly-- but I also don't want it to be some irrelevant tidbit of information I never end up expanding. I'm of the mentality, "If something doesn't have anything to do with anything, don't bother mentioning it."

A-And if it was just a joke... I'm sorry I took it so seriously ahahahaha ;;; orz

~*~

Wrote a little. Gonna write a little more tonight. /u\ Introduction is about 50% done!
Statistics:

The game contains 279 dialogue blocks, containing 3,801 words and 20,037
characters, for an average of 13.6 words and 72 characters per block.

The game contains 4 menus, 23 images, and 14 screens.
Started working on CGs, too~

khnachi
Veteran

#14 Post by khnachi »

That's fine.
akemicchi wrote: I-It's just a game about bread gijinkas.
I think this quote pretty much sums up what the story will be covering. :wink:

Eight Rooks
Regular
Projects: Mirt (chapter one)
Tumblr: therookshavereturned
Deviantart: EightRooks

#15 Post by Eight Rooks »

Beautiful art, but then looking at your other projects that's not too much of a surprise. Solid premise; it's the sort of thing that's been done more than a few times already (cooking as raison d'etre, characters that look like/are based on food in some way etc.) but you seem to have a good handle on how to develop it - just one romance is a very practical decision and there's certainly nothing wrong with treating it all as just a bit of fun. I haven't looked at your other projects closely enough to know how much experience you've got with management games, but again, you seem like you're pretty pragmatic about this stuff so I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck with it - I'm sure more than a few people here will be looking forward to this one.