Afterland [GxG/BxB/GxB][Fantasy, Romance etc]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Charlie599
Regular
Projects: (letters of) Devotion; Afterland

Re: Afterland [GxG/BxB/GxB][Fantasy, Romance etc]

#31 Post by Charlie599 »

thornbush wrote:If you ever get back to this, I could definitely help out with the writing.
/Such a late reply/ But I wanted to let you know that I really liked your writing sample :D I'd definitely play that game.

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#32 Post by Laera-chan »

Charlie599 wrote:--An overenthusiastic goal of 77 64 endings, excluding variations.
HOLY-!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I WANT.
Charlie599 wrote:--Over 64 CGs. Yeah. :roll:
Woot!
Charlie599 wrote:--An Achievement Checklist/Page
That would make this so much easier... especially with the insane amazingly awesome amount of endings! :lol:
Charlie599 wrote:--CG gallery (+sketches)
Oooh, I'm so glad! I love CG galleries, and with this potentially having over 64 CG's, Again, YUUUUUUS!!!!, this would be AMAZING!
Charlie599 wrote:--After-story Collection
... I'll love you forever. Seriously.
Charlie599 wrote:--Non-linear branching storylines, with multiple ending variations**
I haven't done much programming, even with Ren'py (read: I only fooled around learning how to put in dialogue and change the name on the Dialogue boxes with each chara before getting frustrated at the black screen as I have no pictures/sprites to use. :oops: :lol: ), but this sounds HARD. So you have admiration for even attempting this.

Charlie599 wrote:I've tried to make this as clear as possible through the diagram above but I'll clarify a few things.
Basically, the game is split up into 3 parts - Beginning, Middle, and End. It’s quite simple. ^-^
  1. The "Beginning" has only one route. It's short. >.> Moving on.
  2. The "Middle" has 15 endings - all of which must be obtained individually as they are dependent on which character you have the best relationship with. Sorry. The only way around that I know of is save-scumming at particular intervals. If I figure out how to get around that I'll let you know.
  3. The "End" is the most complex. Without spoiling anything, half of the (normal?) ends are based on a vital decision in-game. You can earn 7 "Friend" endings at once (or 6 "Friend" endings and 1 "Love" ending) but you cannot earn more than one "Love" ending in a single playthough (your cheating butt will not be tolerated). Half of the "Love" endings are dependent on your gender choice at the beginning of the game. Special endings can be earned in conjunction with the Friend/Love endings - they're basically a bonus. You can earn 4 "Special" endings in one playthough.
This sounds... difficult to code, and somewhat confusing, but I think I understand, and again... you have my admiration for attempting this. If you actually succeed on both these last items... WOW. JUST WOW.

Charlie599 wrote:Endings are affected by the choices you make, that much is obvious, but what I'm incorporating here goes a little more in-depth than that. "End" endings are way more complicated than "Beginning" or "Middle" endings, because there is so much more of the story to take into account. All choices have a chance to affect which category of ending/s you get (Friend/Love/Special), but they also influence the variables of those endings. For example, each "Love" ending has four (so far?) "sub-endings". Some "sub-endings" overlap between characters/genders. Dialogue choices are affected by your actions and vice-versa - some things are subtle but some are not. Doing something at the beginning for the game can affect how you react to something later on, or even if that "later on" does not happen at all.

This makes the game play more realistic, IMO. Irl, there is no set point where life goes, 'you say this here, and 3 days later, you get this option', or 'saying this phrase here will make this option later disappear'. So to have it kind of do that all throughout the game, instead of a few set questions that make the turning points make it awesome. I just ask that you have a walkthrough ready and waiting for those like me who tend to get rather confused at long, convoluted choice selections where it's not immediately apparent what that choice affects, or how. :oops:

Long reply is long, but... so many things about this game that I desperately need want so badly!!! So I really hope you do come back to this at some point! Wants to romance the Mad Hatter so badly... //shot :lol: :lol:

Charlie599
Regular

#33 Post by Charlie599 »

Endings/CGs/Achievement Checklist/CG Gallery/After-story Collection -- I'm glad you approve :mrgreen:
I love CG galleries, and with this potentially having over 64 CG's
Potentially? Pssshhh. I haven't included event CG's in my tally so it's gonna be a lot. Like. I can't even. Each character gets 5 Event CG's minimum. So that's still 99 CG's :lol: //falls over//
I haven't done much programming, even with Ren'py, but this sounds HARD. So you have admiration for even attempting this.
Surprisingly...Not that difficult with a bunch of If statements. Just your usual tally on a (hidden) stats versus a whole bunch of other little things. The irritating thing is that there'll be a Lot of them if I use that method >.< So maybe I'll figure out anther way when I get around to it... Still. If Cinders can do it, I will persevere. ^-^
If you actually succeed on both these last items... WOW. JUST WOW.
XD Thanks. Let's hope? The "Middle" ends are like dead ends (Without the Dead part probably? O.O ) and the "End" love endings based on gender aren't difficult - they're like picking a route at the beginning - One=Girl, Two=Boy. Perhaps I'll separate the game into two, so that people who don't want the other gender can just play their preferred choice without being forced into downloading the whole thing/both halves. Certain quests/interactions/events are gender specific, so it'll definitely work towards making each half its' own game.
Again, with the various endings there's hidden stats. All the other "End" endings are just normal endings, coding wise. (Oh my word I hope that made sense)
Long reply is long,
I love long replies ( ;V; tears up) Thank you~
Irl, there is no set point where life goes, 'you say this here, and 3 days later, you get this option', or 'saying this phrase here will make this option later disappear'
I beg to differ XD Have you ever had a fight with a family member? With me and my step-mom it's like dodging bullets and stepping over landmines. If I was nice to her yesterday then she might be lenient today. If I totally ignored her request to the do the washing, you better believe there will be hell to pay when she realizes it hasn't been done. Oh, and that concert I wanted to go to? Can't. I'm grounded.
See? XD
I just ask that you have a walkthrough ready
There's gonna be a walkthrough! XD Even I wouldn't have the patience/will power/detective wiles to figure out the intricate choice variables. I'll make two - one which is just hints, the other which includes all choices and the inevitable spoilers that brings.
Wants to romance the Mad Hatter so badly...
He's adorable. In my head He's like this intense energy that overwhelms you and sweeps you off your feet... *dreamy sigh*

...Oh gahds. I haven't even spoken about the morality system yet have I??? O.o That will be a mountain and a half of a coding problem.

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer

#34 Post by Laera-chan »

Charlie599 wrote:Endings/CGs/Achievement Checklist/CG Gallery/After-story Collection -- I'm glad you approve :mrgreen:
I approve this so hard. SO. HARD. :lol:
Charlie599 wrote:Potentially? Pssshhh. I haven't included event CG's in my tally so it's gonna be a lot. Like. I can't even. Each character gets 5 Event CG's minimum. So that's still 99 CG's :lol: //falls over//

Holy- oh wow. That's... a lot. //jumps around ecstatically
Charlie599 wrote:Surprisingly...Not that difficult with a bunch of If statements. Just your usual tally on a (hidden) stats versus a whole bunch of other little things. The irritating thing is that there'll be a Lot of them if I use that method >.< So maybe I'll figure out anther way when I get around to it... Still. If Cinders can do it, I will persevere. ^-^
For someone used to coding, maybe. I'll take your word on it until I start my own game(s), though! :)
Charlie599 wrote:XD Thanks. Let's hope? The "Middle" ends are like dead ends (Without the Dead part probably? O.O ) and the "End" love endings based on gender aren't difficult - they're like picking a route at the beginning - One=Girl, Two=Boy. Perhaps I'll separate the game into two, so that people who don't want the other gender can just play their preferred choice without being forced into downloading the whole thing/both halves. Certain quests/interactions/events are gender specific, so it'll definitely work towards making each half its' own game.
Again, with the various endings there's hidden stats. All the other "End" endings are just normal endings, coding wise. (Oh my word I hope that made sense)
Hehe. Probably without the Dead part? XD Hm. Yeah, maybe splitting it up by gender portion would be better. I'd be more willing to pay for the game knowing I'd be playing all of it, but I find romancing girls to be, well, awkward, as I'm a girl. So I'd be happy to buy the route where you're a girl, and romance the guys, and then, maybe buying the route where you're a boy and romance the girls if I really feel the need to.
Charlie599 wrote:I love long replies ( ;V; tears up) Thank you~
You're very welcome! I just wanted to let you know just HOW MUCH I need crave want this game.
Charlie599 wrote:I beg to differ XD Have you ever had a fight with a family member? With me and my step-mom it's like dodging bullets and stepping over landmines. If I was nice to her yesterday then she might be lenient today. If I totally ignored her request to the do the washing, you better believe there will be hell to pay when she realizes it hasn't been done. Oh, and that concert I wanted to go to? Can't. I'm grounded.
See? XD
Oh. Well, yeah, there is that type. But I mean, other than the kind of immediate consequences... Say you choose to wear a blue shirt that really brings out your eyes one day, and you go for a walk in the park. It's not going to become immediately evident that wearing that blue shirt on that particular day, and walking down that particular road will grant you a job opportunity that later on will lead to the love of your life. I mean, looking back on it? You might probably see that (especially if you got scouted or something, and then fell in love with your manager //is a sucker for that type of romance //shot). But while it's happening? It's not quite as apparent, especially if the other option that you almost went with was a purple hoodie, and you wouldn't have gotten scouted, even walking down that particular road. But... Meh. I dunno, it's hard to get my thoughts across when they're so jumbled up I barely understand them. :lol:
Charlie599 wrote:There's gonna be a walkthrough! XD Even I wouldn't have the patience/will power/detective wiles to figure out the intricate choice variables. I'll make two - one which is just hints, the other which includes all choices and the inevitable spoilers that brings.
YUS!!!
Charlie599 wrote:He's adorable. In my head He's like this intense energy that overwhelms you and sweeps you off your feet... *dreamy sigh*
Awww... He really sounds adorable! Is completely determined to woo the Mad out of the Hatter, regardless of what it takes :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Charlie599 wrote:...Oh gahds. I haven't even spoken about the morality system yet have I??? O.o That will be a mountain and a half of a coding problem.
... Morality system? WHAT MORALITY SYSTEM?! :shock: Like the whole, 'to steal candy from a baby, or not to' decision leading to the consequence of not being able to be a school teacher like you really really want to all of a sudden, or becoming the world's best tutoring expert with a 100% success rate? Quick nod to the adorable game, My Teacher //shot

And holy... I think this game is going to blow my expectations out of the water, and then I'll never be satisfied with less complicated games ever again... I kind of want that(because that means this game will be completely and utterly amazing), at the same time as I don't(because while this game will be completely and utterly amazing, I don't want to constantly compare other games to it, as that would be unfair to them- and I'm an equal opportunity gamer! I'll give any game I play a fair chance to blow my mind while not comparing it to other, similar games. :lol: ).

Charlie599
Regular

#35 Post by Charlie599 »

... Morality system? WHAT MORALITY SYSTEM?!
Err, right. XD I should explain if anyone's interested. So, spoiler alert you can do good and bad things. \O.o/ There's a limitation on which characters can do what based on their backgrounds; but that's due to How they do things >.> For example, bribery. If you're a goodie-two-shoes throughout the game you won't have that option in a quest/event. You'll have something different. Some options take longer/give different rewards. And just cuz I'm evil - Some choices are just deciding between two bad options. ...That's the whole RPG lover in me coming through...
You can change your morality, and thereby affect other characters and Their morality [e.g. if you're friends with a mobster, your morals become a little grey, if you pull them out of that, they get a little better, right?].
The system affects the endings, btw. :twisted: [Those pesky "End" sub-endings]. I shall say no more.
I'd be more willing to pay for the game knowing I'd be playing all of it, but I find romancing girls to be, well, awkward, as I'm a girl.
I get that other people are like this. That's why there's a clear distinction between friendship and love choices in this you're not going to accidentally make-out with someone. You're not forced into a relationship either. You just wanna be friends with that dude/chick? That's cool. ^-^
I think this game is going to blow my expectations out of the water
I certainly hope so. I also feel your pain when it comes to Yes/Want, but then not wanting the comparisons afterwards T-T On the plus side, it means that any future games of mine will have to be of the same caliber. :D

As for the "blue shirt" incident you're describing (omw :lol: )...there isn't anything as vague as that...? If it comes about that there Is something like that, I'll definitely implement a sort of notification system that attempts to tell you Psst, Hey - This Shirt Is Important :lol: :wink:

Laera-chan
Regular

#36 Post by Laera-chan »

Charlie599 wrote:
... Morality system? WHAT MORALITY SYSTEM?!
Err, right. XD I should explain if anyone's interested. So, spoiler alert you can do good and bad things. \O.o/ There's a limitation on which characters can do what based on their backgrounds; but that's due to How they do things >.> For example, bribery. If you're a goodie-two-shoes throughout the game you won't have that option in a quest/event. You'll have something different. Some options take longer/give different rewards. And just cuz I'm evil - Some choices are just deciding between two bad options. ...That's the whole RPG lover in me coming through...
You can change your morality, and thereby affect other characters and Their morality [e.g. if you're friends with a mobster, your morals become a little grey, if you pull them out of that, they get a little better, right?].
The system affects the endings, btw. :twisted: [Those pesky "End" sub-endings]. I shall say no more.
Haha! That just sounds like SO MUCH FUN. And yes, that is bolded and in italics because it is just THAT AWESOME.
Charlie599 wrote:
I'd be more willing to pay for the game knowing I'd be playing all of it, but I find romancing girls to be, well, awkward, as I'm a girl.
I get that other people are like this. That's why there's a clear distinction between friendship and love choices in this you're not going to accidentally make-out with someone. You're not forced into a relationship either. You just wanna be friends with that dude/chick? That's cool. ^-^
Anymore, I'm more open to romancing the girls, IF I like the guys' routes a whole lot. I still find it awkward, but not as much as I did... oh, 2 or 3 years ago. >.>
Charlie599 wrote:
I think this game is going to blow my expectations out of the water
I certainly hope so. I also feel your pain when it comes to Yes/Want, but then not wanting the comparisons afterwards T-T On the plus side, it means that any future games of mine will have to be of the same caliber. :D
YUUS! More games of this amazing quality is a VERY GOOD THING!!!! :lol: :lol:
Charlie599 wrote:As for the "blue shirt" incident you're describing (omw :lol: )...there isn't anything as vague as that...? If it comes about that there Is something like that, I'll definitely implement a sort of notification system that attempts to tell you Psst, Hey - This Shirt Is Important :lol: :wink:
Haha! Yeah, that was a little out there, but hey, I blame lack of sleep and trying to find a way to put my incoherentrambling thought processes in a way that was somewhat understandable. :oops: :roll:

But yes, can't wait for this still! And sorry for the late reply- work has been hectic, and on top of that, I've had a killer migraine since last night, so that meant no computer time for me, as that makes it so much worse.

Charlie599
Regular

#37 Post by Charlie599 »

I'm more open to romancing the girls IF I like the guys' routes a whole lot
XD Glad you're open to the idea. I think not playing a route that's in a game causes you miss things? This game has other aspects that are explored through the other characters (most especially the friendshipable/romanceable ones) The "Friend" routes are no less intricate than the "Love" routes. It's just a different kind of relationship. Alternate expectations, problems, solutions etc.
Slightly off topic but I think one of the problems with vns (at least the mobile apps?) is that not enough in my opinion emphasis/background/emotions are put into the player/protagonist, so they turn out to be shell-people. Just a name and a face (that you don't even get to see the eyes of in the CGs what is up with that). In this game you can change the character to be more like you, or learn about them as they were/are.
I blame lack of sleep and trying to find a way to put my incoherentrambling thought processes in a way that was somewhat understandable
No need to be embarrassed ^-^ :D It was understandable. And it made me think about what I'd do if that situation does arise. Thank you~
And sorry for the late reply- work has been hectic, and on top of that, I've had a killer migraine since last night, so that meant no computer time for me, as that makes it so much worse.
No need to be sorry about a late reply :lol: I'm glad you replied at all
Sorry about the migraine though, those are...well, cr@p. :cry:

Laera-chan
Regular

#38 Post by Laera-chan »

Charlie599 wrote:
I'm more open to romancing the girls IF I like the guys' routes a whole lot
XD Glad you're open to the idea. I think not playing a route that's in a game causes you miss things? This game has other aspects that are explored through the other characters (most especially the friendshipable/romanceable ones) The "Friend" routes are no less intricate than the "Love" routes. It's just a different kind of relationship. Alternate expectations, problems, solutions etc.
Slightly off topic but I think one of the problems with vns (at least the mobile apps?) is that not enough in my opinion emphasis/background/emotions are put into the player/protagonist, so they turn out to be shell-people. Just a name and a face (that you don't even get to see the eyes of in the CGs what is up with that). In this game you can change the character to be more like you, or learn about them as they were/are.
I'm totally for the friendship routes. What I don't like is being told that if I want to have any relationship with a girl (or sometimes guy, but I play these games for the plot, and the subplot of romancing said guys, so not too much on them), it needs to be romantic. Which is why I love the games where if you pursue ANY character, you have the chance of getting a 'friend' route or a 'lovers' route, depending on your choices. I really, really like those games. And- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Shell people... they so are! Also, I don't know why we can't see the eyes of MC in those, either... *eyes the CG's warily*
Charlie599 wrote:
I blame lack of sleep and trying to find a way to put my incoherentrambling thought processes in a way that was somewhat understandable
No need to be embarrassed ^-^ :D It was understandable. And it made me think about what I'd do if that situation does arise. Thank you~
Ah, so it was understandable! Yay~! And you're welcome! Glad I could help. 8) :lol:
Charlie599 wrote:
And sorry for the late reply- work has been hectic, and on top of that, I've had a killer migraine since last night, so that meant no computer time for me, as that makes it so much worse.
No need to be sorry about a late reply :lol: I'm glad you replied at all
Sorry about the migraine though, those are...well, cr@p. :cry:
Hehe. I'm usually good about replying to my replies, even if it might take a few days.
And it's alright. Thank you, though! It's starting to get better, to the point I just have to be careful about lights/sounds, and not push staring at the computer for too long. Luckily, I have an entire THREE (3)(!!!!!!!) days off from work, so I was able to just sleep today. Even if it just means more to do tomorrow :roll: So there is that! :)

mysticichigo
Regular

#39 Post by mysticichigo »

Tell me you're at least charging money for this? I would honestly feel terrible playing a game that had 64 different endings and so many intricate details for free, and this is from someone who rarely ever buys game. It would make me feel like I'd robbed you

shadowkazaki
Regular
Projects: Descendant of the Moon

#40 Post by shadowkazaki »

The whole concept of this game looks so intriguing!
Seeing all the detail being put into it is wonderful!
This would definitely be a game I would love to play, especially with all the variations.
I also love the concept of being able to pick your gender, because I usually play the female-oriented games.
With that, I wish you luck on your progress! ^^

CosmicFan

#41 Post by CosmicFan »

This is mega ambitious and a great concept. I hope you're still doing it.