DENEB - Songs of the Summer Triangle *05.12.08*

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

DENEB - Songs of the Summer Triangle *05.12.08*

#1 Post by risingbamboobanana »

let me first start by saying, that i was going for a stealth release (not saying a word about it until i release the acutal darn thing!) but i simply don't have the restraint for it D: i don't know how long it's going to be, but right now it's at about 8k words. embarassing, but that's probably the longest thing i've ever written. i've been toying with the idea since july 2007, and have been inching my way along since. i'm planning on flying solo for the whole project, but if anyone would like to help me proofread, i'll gladly put your name in the credits :mrgreen: if so, if you could PM/email me/reply to this thread, that'd be nice. (big thanks to Sakurazaki and chronoluminaire - i'm drawing the line at two editors) if you're just curious about the story and wanna read a little bit, that's fine too. i'm reasonably confident in my art skills but sometimes i feel my writing is horribly sub-par, so i'll need all the feed back i can get!

the plot:

DENEB - Songs of the Summer Triangle

Everyone's heard of Qi Xi, the Legend of Altair and Vega, right? No? Does the Japanese counterpart Tanabata, or the Korean Chilseok ring a bell? Clicky on the link if you want some extra info on the topic.

To relieve you of the arduous task of reading a wikipedia article however, here's the long story made short: One day, Seven Celestial Sisters descend to Earth; some say to bathe, others to play. Regardless of the reason, Zhinü, Weaver of the Sky, the youngest of the Jade Emperor's seven daughters falls in love and marries a mortal, a lowly cowherd no less. They are found out, and her parents are furious, and she is forcibly taken away back to Heaven. Her husband, Niulang, gives chase, but her mother the Empress, takes a hairpin and scratches a river across the sky, the separating line between Heaven and Earth.

But this story isn't simply about the literal "star-crossed lovers". It's also about Deneb, the small star that stands between them. Some say Deneb is a fairy that acts as a chaperone when the lovers meet once a year. It's about him too, and he's not a fairy, nor does he act as a chaperone. I mean, what kind of crummy job is that? He's the Whistling Bandit, the King of Magpies, for crying out loud! A MANLY MAN, HUR HUR.

Legend has it that the Jade Emperor, Ruler of Heaven, felt pity for the plight of the pair of lovers and allowed them to meet once a year. But no, it wasn't as simple as that, no not at all. Deneb, once an orphan and notorious criminal is the key catalyst to their annual reunion across the Heavenly River. Across the Milky Way, on a bridge of magpies.

some character art:
Image Image Image
Last edited by risingbamboobanana on Mon May 12, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: DENEB - Songs of the Summer Triangle

#2 Post by akemicchi »

Oh, wow! O: Your art is so lovely~ I've never heard about that legend before, but the game's concept is definitely interesting. Cx Keep it up (and keep us updated)!

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Woooaaahhh.... It's not really my type of story, but the character art is amazing! Good luck with your project. ^_^

risingbamboobanana
Regular

#4 Post by risingbamboobanana »

thank you! you have no idea how encouraging it is for me to hear you guys say that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#5 Post by Sakurazaki »

I am really interested in this project. I've sent you a pm btw. Great chara art :3
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

risingbamboobanana
Regular

#6 Post by risingbamboobanana »

merci beaucoup! i've replied to your PM. you don't hafta reply right away, whenever's convenient for you is fine for me ^______________^

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#7 Post by bloodywyvern »

Now that's some nice art! You definitely have talent, very impressive. As for the story itself the promise seems solid and I do like the subject matter of it so the idea of it interests me. My suggestion though...if you don't believe in your writing skills pick up another writers who will writer using your ideas.

Anyway it really makes me envious that someone has the skills to go solo -.- so cruel haha. I look forward to seeing more.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

risingbamboobanana
Regular

#8 Post by risingbamboobanana »

thanks! the only reason i didn't want to ask some one to write it for me, is that when it comes to my own ideas, i can get a little control-freakish about it ("NO! You can't do that! YOU = FIRED!") but if it's co-writing or editing, anything like that, i'll be fine :P also if something goes horribly wrong, the only one i can blame is myself XD

don't worry about talent. like i said, my writing skills are pretty mediocre. and drawing, OMG it's so frustrating at times, but the only way to get "good" is to practise your butt off. true story (though i wish it weren't) i guess the most, MOST (let me emphasize once more, MOST, NUMERO UNO, MOST MOST MOST) important thing is to not give up. no matter your level of skill or talent or whatever, someone who hangs on will go farther than any lazy genius. to be honest, what made me practise the most was seeing how talented people around me were, getting jealous and working hard because i didn't want to be left behind.

oh my. you got me rambling XD bad bloodywyvern!

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#9 Post by Sakurazaki »

I know how you feel too. But if I start getting really control-freak ish feel free to like...slap me or something XD I love this storyline to death. As well as the art.

risingbamboobanana
Regular

#10 Post by risingbamboobanana »

i know eh? (excuse the eh?-ing, bad habit-.-) i'm (pleasantly, because many opportunities are born this way) surprised that this legend/myth hasn't gotten more coverage. i've been obsessing over it for so long. i even did TWO school projects on it, one in grade 8 english and the other time in a grade 9 chinese language credit course XD no, i didn't just hand in the same thing for it, but it gave me an excuse to delve more deeply into the research.

oh i hope my rambling a few posts back didn't put you off or anything >.< ideas are more than welcome, because i often get stalled from my creativity running dry :P

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#11 Post by Sakurazaki »

I'm taking Chinese as well. But yes the legend is really interesting. I've read Journey to the West and a few others. So I can say that this project will really be worth looking into :3

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#12 Post by bloodywyvern »

Sheesh why don't you two just go back and forth without me some more? lol just kidding.

I'm best at getting people to ramble, besides that's how you make new friends you just talk till they shut you up which I don't plan on doing. The important thing about bringing on an editor or another writer or anything is to make sure they are clear right away. It also helps if they make changes in a separate file, so you can compare them later and revert anything you'd like back. The most important thing is always to make your your ideas STAY within the boundaries you set. That is not control freakish at all, it is your story idea not someone else's.

I do agree about giving up, you never know until you try. Personally I refuse to give up until I exhaust every option (being a writer with no art or composition abilities at all could mean that comes faster, but meh not out of this yet). You need to work and work until there is no other way to try. I have definitely tried to keep up with other people before but many times it happens to require a personal connection to really pump you up. As in looking a strangers work won't be the same as seeing a friends.

Sounds similar with my obsession of the three kingdoms era of China, the entire history of it completely fascinates me. I've written short stories and projects all through high school. Three Kingdoms and Outlaws of the Marsh are some of the best Chinese books out there (mind you I've only read translations).

i can't really give ideas off of the information you gave though...or I would try to, look forward to hearing more lol.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#13 Post by Sakurazaki »

Trust me I've edited and revised a few works, so I know what I'm doing. :P First chapter is done so I'm pming it now.

Might want to edit out "if anyone would like to help me proofread, i'll gladly put your name in the credits". :P

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

Really nice art ^^. I'm not sure if I grasped how the story will play out but it sounds interesting :)

risingbamboobanana
Regular

#15 Post by risingbamboobanana »

*has nothing in particular to say, so just smiles happily at everyone* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

while i"m still logged on i might as well post these...

based off of the Marble Boat Pavilion IRL. in the story though, it's the other way around :P

an old scrapped chara design. oh well.