The OutPost [Scifi Fantasy][Gender Variant Representation]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

The OutPost [Scifi Fantasy][Gender Variant Representation]

#1 Post by Thirteen »

The OutPost

You play as Yven. The Keeper of the Lights at the X-K89 Outpost. It is your job to hold all the maps of the surrounding galaxies and help travelers who visit the outpost to get where they need to go. You're pretty new at this though, and so far it's been pretty boring... Hopefully things will pick up....
(They do.)

Main Character
Yven is a Trigender semifluid being. The player can choose to represent Yven as male, female, or gender neutral. The player's option does not affect the outcome of the game at all, other than the pronouns Yven uses. I wanted to be able to have pronouns for whomever plays my game. So that's why I chose to have Yven's species be able to change how they represent themselves.
Yven is a bit lazy and unmotivated. They're fairly young and new to their job as a Keeper of Lights. They'd much prefer to sleep all day than study the cosmos, but what can you do? Yven is sarcastic, and a bit negative, but really they just think that their skills can be better used elsewhere. They are in reality very caring and sympathetic of others.

Your Canine Pal
This is Wurv the dog...space...thing. Space dog. He showed up on the outpost in an empty ship. So Yven feeling sorry for the little guy took him into their home. They became fast friends. The appearance of Wurv is a bit mysterious though...as is his really elegant necklace. What kind of dog has that kind of jewelry?

Wurv is your mysterious Canine companion. He's happy go lucky and very cheerful. But he's also a bit shy around strangers. He's pretty much the only other company you've got on The Outpost so far, so he's basically your best friend.

The "Twin" Scholars
Xe and Xi's species is Partials. Their third eye has half of a symbol as a pupil, and a young Partial must find the partial with the other half of their symbol to be considered a whole person.
Xe and Xi are considered one being by their culture, and sorta have this twin telepathy going on. They love each-other very much, but are very open to a new partner.
Xe and Xi are intergender, and use they pronouns.
They refer to themselves in first person, and do not use we or us when referring to both of them.
So if Xe was wanted to say that Xi and himself are hungry he'd just say "I'm hungry" and the "I" in the sentence would refer to both of them.
They also complete each other's sentences and are never seen apart.
They are the poly romance option in the game.

They are both scholars and have come to the outpost to learn about how the Keepers of Lights map the universe. Xe is a tad more quiet than Xi and is hardly ever the first to talk. Xe is also much more artist than Xi and is more interested in the arts of other cultures. IN this case Yven's cartography methods.

Xi is very hyperactive and loves to talk, especially about science and math. Xi is more interested in the mathematical process of mapping the galaxy rather than the cartography of it.

The Explorer Extraordinaire
Lliyana is an adorable trans girl space furry. Lliyana is currently transitioning, so she has a few tells, but she doesn't let that get her down. She's assertive with her pronouns and refuses to let anyone treat her badly for what her gender is. She uses She/ Her pronouns only.

She is an explorer extraordinaire, and goes on many adventures despite being blind.

Her species is called Weremolves, and they're a cross between werewolves and moles. They all live underground, and have evolved to live without eyes. Lliyana uses her great sense of smell and her long tail to "see". She smells where beings are and feels her way through life with her tail.

Lliyana isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but she makes up for that with her positive outlook on life and her grand sense of adventure. She's very cheerful and loves going to new places and meeting new people. She's a wonderful explorer, and travels all around the galaxy in search of scrap to sell, and maybe treasure too.

The Fallen God
This is a Being of Pure Light. His people are worshiped as god's in the world of The Outpost. He was kicked out of his society though and made to be a refugee. I wonder what he did???

Being of Pure Light, or BoPL for short, has no sex but identifies as male. He uses He/his pronouns. He's a bit of a piss baby, but hey who can blame him he's basically a fallen God exiled to live among his worshipers. I'd be pissed too.
---------
So these are the characters I have. They're all datable and will form a relationship with Yven no matter what gender they are.
The setting is at The Outpost, and Space. It's a SciFi Fantasy, with comedy and romance.
I haven't started any of the writing, yet but I have all of the concept art done for that characters. I'll probably start writing in the coming weeks.
I'm also pretty new to making VNs, so this is my main big project. I'll most likely make a smaller project first to learn Ren'Py before I start the coding on this one.

What I want from the game is unique characters and the story line of the game to center around the conflict of whichever character path you choose. The game will not soley be about Yven, but the relationship Yven builds with one of the datable characters.
I also wanted to game to have a wide variety of genders and body types and species. I wanted representation of of disabilities as well, this is why Lliyana is blind, and you'll see in the story of BoPL that he is mentally ill.
These characters are not meant to offend anyone, but instead to provide representation to different types of people. I for example am mentally ill, and would love to see mental illness represented in media, but in a way which is respectful and in reality.

The game will deal with some serious issues pertaining to gender representation, mental illness, and disabilities. That being said I will try to surround it all with humor, as I find the best way to cope with the hard things is life is to laugh with others. The romance will be lighthearted at times and serious at other, as that is how romance is in life.
I'd like for there to be a game mechanic where you must befriend the datable character before you can pursue them romantically. I find that I invest myself more into games that have this feature.

The game will have 5 endings. Maybe more. I'll need to see where my writing takes it.

My vision for The Outpost is large and it'll probably not live up to what I want it to be, as I am just a beginner, but I will try my best!

P.S. Sorry for the novel haha. :-)
Last edited by Thirteen on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thirteen
Regular

Re: The OutPost [Scifi Fantasy][Gender Variant Representatio

#2 Post by Thirteen »

If anyone is curious about How Lliyana's lack of eye's look here's a picture, but be warned for eye horror.
http://000-13.deviantart.com/art/Lliyan ... a_recent=1

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I really like the ideas behind this! I, too, am personally affected by these issues, either firsthand or indirectly, so I always welcome works that want to treat them respectfully.

Your character designs are---how should I say this?---cute without being cutesy, and they've got a lot of personality! (Somehow, I can see BoPL's haughtiness perfectly. Maybe it's because of the sketchiness in and around his head. I don't know how to explain it. It just screams "LOOK AT ME, FOOLS!" :lol:)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Thirteen
Regular

#4 Post by Thirteen »

Thank you! This is exactly what I hope for. To bring positive representation for others!

Haha thank you again! I wanted the style to be simplistic but also notable. And since it's an Otome game I wanted it to be cutesy as well. (and BoPL certainly is that type of guy haha!)
Last edited by Thirteen on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#5 Post by rocket »

Oh, this sounds really interesting.

Somehow, just from a brief character introduction I want to know more. It does help that the character designs are so attractive ... in a totally atypical fashion to be sure!

Somehow it's disturbing and cute at the same time too. Reminds me some of Kaiba.

I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thirteen
Regular

#6 Post by Thirteen »

thank you very much!
And you flatter me so much Kaiba is a huge inspiration for me!
I'm glad it caught your interest.

Thirteen
Regular

#7 Post by Thirteen »

Update!
I've recently started my writing so far I only have 397 words, but I'm still writing the very beginning.
Here's a sneak peak if you wish.
started on writing!.png
I hope to at least get a sizable chunk of writing today! And Once I finish writing out the whole story I'll actually start creating the game. :3c
Last edited by Thirteen on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen
Regular

#8 Post by Thirteen »

Update: Started working on Xe and Xi's sprite. I used a cool reference so the anatomy doesn't look terrible. I still plan on the game being stylized, but I want humanoid bodies to look like they would work.
From this
From this
to this.
to this.
Oh! the reference I used is here
Last edited by Thirteen on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen
Regular

#9 Post by Thirteen »

UPDATE!
I finished the base line art and standard facial expression for Xe and Xi. Now they just need clothes and more facial expressions and maybe some different sprite poses?
This is a lot of work haha.
Anywho here's the updated sprite.
xe and xi sprite.png
A few things changed from the concept art: I used a ref for the bodies; made the facial features more realistic; Xi's eye color changed a little bit; and Xe got a cute lil beauty mark.

Next update I plan on having their outfits and expressions finished. Maybe some different poses as well.
Writing has been put to a halt, but I plan on resuming in the nest few days.
I'm currently on spring break so I plan on working on sprites and writing.

Once I finish all the sprites I plan on officially announcing the game. So look forward to an official announcement in the coming weeks! (Or don't if I decide to give up. Hopefully I will not. Aha.)