Galaktika Gamble [Dark][Science Fantasy]-UPDATE (10/14/2018)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
RokAbiel
Regular

Galaktika Gamble [Dark][Science Fantasy]-UPDATE (10/14/2018)

#1 Post by RokAbiel »

"Life is a game of luck and chance. You win some, you lose some.
But what do you do when the whole universe is against you?
Some people say if you wish upon a star, your dreams will come true.
One thing is often forgotten though. A nightmare is also a dream."
-Neil Doune

Basic Plot

Neil Doune could easily be labeled the most unlucky man in the world. He see's life as one big game of luck and chance, knowing that at anything could happen at any moment, with any choice he makes, any move he makes, or even any word he speaks. Followed constantly by death, the world is literally trying to kill him off and he doesn't know why. He's escaped many natural disasters and other deadly situations, but just barely, causing other people to die in his place. During his childhood, his mother went missing and his twin sister was murdered shortly after. However, no one was able to find his sister's killer. As for Neil's father, he never met him or heard anything about him, and everyone he's known never talked about him either. After another deadly event, leading to the death of a mother and child, Neil yells at the sky in anger. He yells that he wishes to figure out what happened to his family and how it connects to his deadly situations. By accident, he summons a Stellar named Alhena, claiming to be there to help him obtain his wish. However, Neil and Alhena, along with Neil's best friend Ivan and more friends they make along the way, soon realize there are a lot of dark secrets about themselves and the universe that hidden from them, and things are a lot more serious than they realized.

Stellar Info
Each star in the sky has a Stellar, an elven-like(In appearance) god/goddess, connected to it. Every 1000 years, if a person makes a wish while looking at a certain star, whether it be on purpose or by accident, the Stellar of said star will accompany them and help them until their wish is fulfilled. Getting help from a Stellar is rare though, seeing that they sleep for 1000 years after they help fulfill someone's wish, and most people only see a certain amount of stars in the sky with their naked eye, which have most likely already been summoned the within the past 1000 years. Stellars also have their own set of rules(For example, "Don't just grant wishes, make them work for it and help them along the way").
The basic physical appearance of a Stellar is quite simple, similar to humans, but with some slightly different qualities, including:
  • Long, elf-like ears.
  • Pupils a darker shade than their irises instead of black.
  • Hair and eyes that match whatever color their star is.
  • Stellars glow in the dark.
  • Stellars can "change colors" over a very long period of time.
  • The color of their blood also matches that of their star color, with a metallic glow. Example:
    -Blue for blue Stellars
    -Red for red Stellars
    -Orange for orange Stellars
    -Gold for yellow Stellars
    -Silver for white Stellars
  • Appears to look like young adults for the rest of their lives once they reach around 500 years old. (Which is fairly quickly in a Stellar's life span)
  • Stellar "armor" can often vary, depending on what area of the world they were last summoned, era, and whether they liked such fashion. The color scheme always matches their star color though, and white(If they choose to add white for variety). For white Stellars, their color scheme(If not completely white) is silver & white. This however, doesn't mean they are unable to wear normal human clothing.
Stellars also have special abilities that humans don't, like flying/floating, super speed(limited), teleportation(teleportation drains a lot of energy though, usually only used when summoned), quick healing, and other tricks up their sleeves...

However, a Stellar is not invincible. They have a life span too, and to kill a Stellar is a very risky act. When a Stellar dies, the star dies(And vice versa). This means the death of a Stellar could cause a supernova that could destroy things nearby the star, or if the star is large enough, a black hole. The Stellar itself also "explodes" in it's own little mini supernova. :lol:

I don't have all character sprites drawn yet, but I'll add a short description about physical appearance too. That said, moving on.~

Characters

Neil Doune
Hair: Straight, brown, upper/mid-back length
Eyes: Black pupil, yellow irises

Often appears to be a jerk to new people he meets, but he's actually quite nice on the inside. He acts cold and standoff-ish because he's afraid of new people becoming involved with him, afraid that more innocent people will die. He would love to have more friends and be around them, but he thinks that being a jerk and hurting someone's feelings to keep them away is better than that person dying. Neil does enjoy to be with those close to him though, but lives in fear that he'll see them die. Neil also enjoys a little humor from time to time but often leans towards sarcasm and pranks, which just make him appear to be even more of a mean guy. Though he's a bit socially awkward, he does truly care for people and will listen to them if they come to him to vent. He's been picked on before due to his name(Pronounced like "kneel down"), his long "Jesus" hair, and slightly feminine features. However, he's gotten so used to it that it doesn't really bother him anymore.

Ivan Voronkov
Hair: Curly/wavy black hair
Eyes: Black pupil, blue irises

Ivan has known Neil for as long as they could remember, and has been with Neil every step of the way. Somehow he's survived living around Neil for so long, he's learned to laugh at situations if it just involves him and Neil without any injuries. However, Ivan is a very anxious character, and though he attempts to keep his anxiety hidden, Sometimes he fails miserably. Even so, he's a loyal friend. Ivan enjoys video games, anime, the internet, and technology in general. During his free time, he's usually playing a game, watching online videos, or posting on his blog. He also has a fairly decent knowledge on astronomy due to his activity in the astronomy club back in high school. This proves him to be fairly useful when Stellars begin appearing in their lives. Ivan is very kind at heart, and naturally would prefer to not hurt anybody.
Ivan also sees a "shadow" throughout the story, causing him to question his sanity.

Alhena, "Gamma Geminorum"
Stellar type: White star - Gemini
Hair: Ankle-length, braided white hair
Eyes: Gray pupil, light white-gray eyes

Alhena is the Stellar summoned by Neil. She usually has a fairly bubbly personality, loves making people smile, and has a strange obsession with macaroni and cheese and bells. However, this does not mean that she's all about fun and games though. She gets frustrated easily, and can become quite intimidating if pushed to that level. She used to go by the name Almeisan, but due to specific reasons(spoilers), she started going by Alhena. She is completely dedicated to seeing Neil's wish fulfilled that she is willing to turn against her own kind for his sake.
-I don't have her character sprite finished due to a slight issue I'm trying to fix(Her sleeves and "over-skirt" are
see-through, but I can't get it to work right with appearing slightly transparent over the backgrounds), but if
you're a little curious, I cosplayed Alhena for my Creativity class final last semester in college, which you could
see here if you want.

The sprite is fixed! Yay! :mrgreen:

Kion Takemoto
Hair: Black(natural), purple(dyed), pink(dyed), and green(dyed).
Eyes: Black pupil, brown irises

Kion is a fun-loving guy, known to be the "life of the party". Unlike Neil, he summoned his Stellar(Which he calls "Narki"), at the very young age of 7 with the wish of being rich and famous. Continuing to follow that wish, he found his love for music and decided to attempt the path of a rock star. Kion is often refered to as a crazy kid with childish dreams, but he doesn't care what others say. Though he appears to be a complete spaz and full of comedic relief, he has a few secrets of his own. He can make a very good leader if put in that position, but prefers to be the follower from laziness. After he meets Neil, Alhena, and Ivan, he talks with his Stellar and they decide to help Neil with his situation.

Shurnarkabtishashutu, "Zeta Tauri" (Narki)
Stellar-type: Blue star - Taurus
Hair: Long, blue ponytail
Eyes: Blue pupils, light blue irises

Narki takes life quite seriously. Because of this, she often treats Kion like a kid even though he's 19. She doesn't care much about what happens to people in general, but she does care about Kion's view on things. Though she is serious, she doesn't mind a good joke every once in awhile, and absolutely loves food. She finds Alhena's "happy acting" to be annoying, and has a mutual respect for Antares. She's one of the stronger Stellars in Neil's main group.

Antares, "Alpha Scorpii"
Stellar-type: Red star - Scorpio
Hair: Red, layered, bottom layer in low ponytail
Eyes: Red pupils, light red irises

Antares first appears to kill Neil. This leaves everyone in confusion and fear, causing them to question what's really going on, as a Stellar would never harm a human for no reason. However, he was just following orders. After a lot of thinking, he decides to change his mind and help Neil instead(Even though Neil absolutely refuses to trust him). His decision may(or may not) be influenced by his guilt, and the fact that he's reaching near the end of his life anyway.

Kullat Nunu, "Eta Piscium"
Hair: Blonde, curly pigtails
Eyes: Dark yellow pupils, yellow irises

Kullat Nunu is Alhena's best friend, who eventually makes an appearance and joins the group in their search for answers. She's a little bit of a derp and does really weird things, but no one seems to mind as long as it isn't harmful. However, Neil notices that Nunu has blonde hair and yellow eyes(similar to his dead twin sister), and doesn't talk with her often because of this.

Sadalmelik, "Alpha Aquarii"
Stellar-type: Yellow star - Aquarius
Hair: Blonde, somewhat messy
Eyes: Dark yellow pupil, yellow iris

Sadalmelik is a mysterious Stellar that joins Neil's group after hearing "rumors" about a Human-Stellar war starting over Neil's wish. He barely talks and is a tad bit socially awkward when he's around Neil, but his only interest seems to be training Neil to make him stronger. For awhile this makes Neil quite angry, but eventually he realizes that Sadalmelik is actually very helpful to him. Sadalmelik also gives Neil gold star stickers when he does well in training(His awkward attempt to be nice), but Neil takes this as a childish insult at first. Over time though, whenever Sadalmelik doesn't give a sticker, Neil begins to take offense because he knows that means he didn't do well. :lol: Sadalmelik knows answers to many secrets involving Neil's situation, but doesn't reveal them to the group for specific reasons(Partially his own fear, along with thinking it might keep Neil safe). Sadalmelik is the only character in the entire story that doesn't have any narration about what he's thinking or feeling, mostly because it would give away spoilers.(I'm also working on a second visual novel while working on the main one, told from Sadalmelik's point of view. Since some events match up, that's why I'm working on both at the same time. I promise this is very important to the though.) Though Sadalmelik appears to be completely emotionless and stone-cold on the exterior, it's actually quite the opposite on the inside.

Shaula, "Lambda Scorpii"
Stellar-type: Blue star - Scorpio
Hair: Blue, long and short 8)
Eyes: Blue pupils, light blue irises

Another Stellar that shows up to kill Neil, bringing other Stellars with her for backup after hearing he has a few Stellars protecting him. Kion absolutely falls in love with Shaula's appearance, despite her being an enemy. Of course, that's the type of reaction Shaula enjoys, because "love-struck" enemies are fairly easy to defeat.

Kyna Doune
Hair: Brown, length varies
Eyes: Black pupils, brown irises

Kyna is Neil's mother, who went missing when he was 8 years old. Neil loved her very much, so he's naturally upset by her disappearance.

She's an odd mix of traits. She likes being lazy and staying indoors, but she also enjoys going outside to play basketball if people challenge her. Her children mean everything to her, and she's very protective over them. She's very introverted, but she doesn't mind hanging out with close friends.

Sally Doune
Hair: Short, blonde
Eyes: Black pupils, yellow irises

Neil's twin sister, murdered shortly after their mother went missing(By shortly, I mean like within 24 hours after the disappearance). In a few flashbacks, she's shown to be a little bit sassy, but polite to elders. She spent most of her days playing with Neil and Ivan, and leaned a little towards the tomboy side instead of girly girl. She was also Ivan's childhood crush.

There are more characters, but I can't really reveal them without revealing who is behind all the attacks. Therefore, I'll stop it there for now. I'll update the character section again once I get specific sprites done for those that are missing theirs at the moment.

Visual Novel Features
  • Multiple endings, including good, bad, "true", and possibly a few others.
  • CGs and Animated cutscenes
  • (I have some more ideas, but I'll talk about those below for the sake of organization)

*Above I mentioned about ideas for features. Some of the people I know on campus suggested a putting a battle system in the game, similar to something you might see in a strategy RPG(Like Disgaea for example). As cool as this idea sounds, I'm unsure if it would add or take away to the story, and I'm also a little clueless about coding stuff like that.. Another person mentioned 2D fighter, but I can't really see how I could add that in effectively since Neil is in a group that would probably work better on something party based.
*A couple of my voice actors and I were talking about adding an Extras/Bonus menu containing their bloopers, extra art/concept art, unlocked CGs/Animations, Music room, and a note from me thanking people for their support. As much as I agree to thanking people for their support, would an Extra's room seem like too much, or would people be interested in that sort of thing?

I had a hard time exactly deciding how to choose a genre for this, but I couldn't really narrow it down to one. Do the genre's appear to match with the information I've given? I thought about adding Romance to the genres too, but that would fit more for the second visual novel than the first. The main story does have a couple romantic themes and moments, but it isn't exactly the main focus of the story? Should I still add Romance up in the title bar thing? I'm also unsure on age rating, but I'm thinking more towards older teen to adult. This story will have some pretty intense gore moments, a fairly good amount of curse words here and there, and possibly a few implied things. Basically, this story may have a few triggering topics to some.(Which I will add a warning at the start of the game, don't want to hurt anyone).

-Extra Questions-
1. Does the story sound interesting?
2. Is my art okay? :oops: Do you like it?
3. Which character seems interesting to you so far, if any?
4. Would you be interested in playing this game even though it isn't a dating sim kind of game?(I know being a dating sim isn't a requirement, but I know a large amount of visual novels are so I didn't know if it would have an effect on whether people want to play)
Last edited by RokAbiel on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.

SegaOfPlaneptune

Re: Galaktika Gamble [Dark][Mystery][Science Fantasy][Action

#2 Post by SegaOfPlaneptune »

Wow, this looks promising.
I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

RokAbiel
Regular

#3 Post by RokAbiel »

SegaOfPlaneptune wrote:Wow, this looks promising.
I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes
Thank you so much! I'm glad you've taken interest. :D I'll continue to work hard on it!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

To preface this post: write the story that *you* want to create. Be true to yourself above all else.
RokAbiel wrote: Above I mentioned about ideas for features. Some of the people I know on campus suggested a putting a battle system in the game, similar to something you might see in a strategy RPG(Like Disgaea for example). As cool as this idea sounds, I'm unsure if it would add or take away to the story, and I'm also a little clueless about coding stuff like that.. Another person mentioned 2D fighter, but I can't really see how I could add that in effectively since Neil is in a group that would probably work better on something party based.
Consider the scope of your project carefully. Do you want to just write a story? Do you definitely want to include some form of complex gameplay? Keep in mind that writing just the first draft will take time and persistence. It will take even more effort to create more drafts, edit for typos and inconsistencies, and check the code for errors.

If you are willing to sell Galaktika Gamble as an indie game or VN, then you can use the possibility of making money as a motivator. However, if you do not want to sell your project, then think about how will you motivate yourself. Keep in mind that writing is rarely easy or fun. It's easy to get bored or frustrated. A lot of works-in-progress visual novels never get past the planning stages. I know that I have struggled with perfectionism and apathy, and these problems have kept me from writing...
RokAbiel wrote: I had a hard time exactly deciding how to choose a genre for this, but I couldn't really narrow it down to one. Do the genre's appear to match with the information I've given? I thought about adding Romance to the genres too, but that would fit more for the second visual novel than the first. The main story does have a couple romantic themes and moments, but it isn't exactly the main focus of the story? Should I still add Romance up in the title bar thing? I'm also unsure on age rating, but I'm thinking more towards older teen to adult. This story will have some pretty intense gore moments, a fairly good amount of curse words here and there, and possibly a few implied things. Basically, this story may have a few triggering topics to some.(Which I will add a warning at the start of the game, don't want to hurt anyone).
What genre or category works for you? If you are not sure, then think about what sort of stories you currently like. It might be beneficial to listen to some of Writing Excuses' discussions. For instance, they have talked about genre blending, and they have two separate audio podcasts about science fiction sub-genres.

Also, it's impossible to write fiction without offending someone. The more people who read your story, the more you will find people who will find it upsetting. This is true even if you write only about puppies frolicking in fields. Please remind yourself that not everyone will like or even understand your story. Then continue writing.
RokAbiel wrote: 4. Would you be interested in playing this game even though it isn't a dating sim kind of game?(I know being a dating sim isn't a requirement, but I know a large amount of visual novels are so I didn't know if it would have an effect on whether people want to play)
It's your story. Does it need a love interest, or a romance side plot? If your answer is "no," then don't include either, and do not label your story as a romance game.

An aside: I entered fandom through translated visual novels, which these days I occasionally call "OJLVNs." It didn't take long before I dealt with fandom frustration. I realized that there were few romance games with complex simulation gameplay, or even a single scene in which any character was on a date with any other character. Also, it was frustratingly difficult to find titles which couldn't be summarized as love polygon stories, or porn without plot. I just wanted more interesting or clever things to read. Though things have slowly improved over the years...
RokAbiel wrote: Sorry if this post is too lengthy for an idea. I thought about posting it in the Works in Progress area since I've been working on this project for awhile, but due to my bad health and constantly doing college stuff, my progress has been fairly slow, so I don't think I'd be able to update every week or whatever.
Think whether you're so passionate about telling your story that you are willing to do anything in order to create it. If you think that stress, health, and time management concerns will present a problem, then you might not want to commit to writing a story. This is not an easy decision to make. If you definitely want to write something, then perhaps you will benefit by creating a short story with a small number of characters and just a few endings.

RokAbiel
Regular

#5 Post by RokAbiel »

Before I say anything else, I want to thank you for reading such a long post and spending the time to answer my qustions and give constructive criticism! I appreciate it so much, I almost cried happy tears when I saw the length of your reply haha.. :lol:
Consider the scope of your project carefully. Do you want to just write a story? Do you definitely want to include some form of complex gameplay? Keep in mind that writing just the first draft will take time and persistence. It will take even more effort to create more drafts, edit for typos and inconsistencies, and check the code for errors.

If you are willing to sell Galaktika Gamble as an indie game or VN, then you can use the possibility of making money as a motivator. However, if you do not want to sell your project, then think about how will you motivate yourself. Keep in mind that writing is rarely easy or fun. It's easy to get bored or frustrated. A lot of works-in-progress visual novels never get past the planning stages. I know that I have struggled with perfectionism and apathy, and these problems have kept me from writing...
I feel like if I were to add in a form of complex gameplay, I would definitely need some help with it. I do think it would be cool, but I feel like it would be too much for me alone to tackle, as I'm already doing a lot as it is.(Not that I have a problem with it, it just takes a lot longer haha..) I've spent many years writing this story, scrapping ideas, adding new things, and trying my best to perfect it. :) It's very important to me, and I've given much thought into how much work this will take.

My family says I should sell it to make money, but my main motivator is entertaining others while seeing my ideas come to life in their own way. I love being able to make things that bring a variety of emotions to people. For as long as I can remember, my main goal in life has been to make something that impacts people, gives them inspiration, and entertains them. Every time someone asks me about this project, its motivation in its self. I spend about 90% of my free time working on this project, and though it can frustrate me occasionally, I absolutely love it. I'm very easily motivated. :lol: If people think it is worth paying money for, I wouldn't put down the idea completely, but I'm not really in it for money.
What genre or category works for you? If you are not sure, then think about what sort of stories you currently like. It might be beneficial to listen to some of Writing Excuses' discussions. For instance, they have talked about genre blending, and they have two separate audio podcasts about science fiction sub-genres.

Also, it's impossible to write fiction without offending someone. The more people who read your story, the more you will find people who will find it upsetting. This is true even if you write only about puppies frolicking in fields. Please remind yourself that not everyone will like or even understand your story. Then continue writing.

I like a wide variety of stories, but I really like stories that have dark tones and plot twists! :D I enjoy stories that make me think in attempt to figure things out before the story explains things. I notice I also enjoy thinking up theories for incomplete stories or reading theories that other people have made, and seeing how close they were to the truth when it's revealed. I'll have to check out Writing Excuses, that sounds really interesting and helpful! Thank you so much for the recommendation, every little thing helps haha..

I suppose that is true. I know not everyone will like it, I just don't want to throw someone into a panic attack by reading something triggering if I can avoid it. Despite how brutal some of the things I write are, I wouldn't want to actually hurt someone. But seeing that this story will have a lot of various forms death in it, along with other things, I should probably be safe and rate it as a mature game even though I plan to put a trigger warning in the beginning.
It's your story. Does it need a love interest, or a romance side plot? If your answer is "no," then don't include either, and do not label your story as a romance game.

An aside: I entered fandom through translated visual novels, which these days I occasionally call "OJLVNs." It didn't take long before I dealt with fandom frustration. I realized that there were few romance games with complex simulation gameplay, or even a single scene in which any character was on a date with any other character. Also, it was frustratingly difficult to find titles which couldn't be summarized as love polygon stories, or porn without plot. I just wanted more interesting or clever things to read. Though things have slowly improved over the years...
Though it does have some romantic elements(Which is a little important to the plot), it is not a dating sim type of game, therefore I suppose I wouldn't label it as a romance? I just don't want people confused thinking they are going to play something like that and then get disappointed when they realize they can't pursue whatever characters they want or similar haha.. I want people to know what they are getting before they get it, I just wanted to know if it would greatly affect the amount of people willing to give it a try.
Think whether you're so passionate about telling your story that you are willing to do anything in order to create it. If you think that stress, health, and time management concerns will present a problem, then you might not want to commit to writing a story. This is not an easy decision to make. If you definitely want to write something, then perhaps you will benefit by creating a short story with a small number of characters and just a few endings.
I am willing to do anything for this story, though I have bad health, there's been many times I've spent working on this even though I was sick in my bed. Even if it takes years, I am determined to see through with this to the very end. Due to my lack of finances, I recently found out that I may not be able to afford for college and health care at the same time. Though I would be really sad to leave college, my health comes first. However, if this were to happen, I would have a lot more free time to work on this project, so that would be a plus I suppose. But to make a long story short, this project is actually one of my main motivations. Even when I'm not feeling well physically, this project makes me very happy and keeps me positive. It's my passion, and my drive to keep my head up. :oops: :)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such a long message. It may sound silly, but it really means a lot to me that you took the time out of your day to give me advice. It was very helpful, and I'll keep everything in mind. Thank you! :mrgreen:

RokAbiel
Regular

#6 Post by RokAbiel »

-Updated with Kullat Nunu's character sprite; currently working on the character sprites of Antares(50%), Shurnarkabtishashutu(30%), Kyna(55%), Sally(60%), Child Neil(45%), and the main antagonist(60%).

I'll continue to keep updating my progress.

UPDATE [6/13/2015]
Kyna's Character Sprite is complete and added.

RokAbiel
Regular

#7 Post by RokAbiel »

Here's a preview of the Main Antagonist's character sprite. I won't be revealing his colored sprite outside of the game until it's released, since he's supposed to remain a mystery, answers slowly being revealed throughout the game. I'm also close to finishing Shurnarkabtishashutu's character sprite.

RokAbiel
Regular

#8 Post by RokAbiel »

UPDATE [6/25/15]

Fixed Alhena's character sprite, working on more BG's, added a sound when menu options are clicked, added animated logo to title screen, attempting to add video to title screen, added another chapter to the game.

UPDATE [6/28/15]

Finished Shurnarkabtishashutu's character sprite.

RokAbiel
Regular

#9 Post by RokAbiel »

UPDATE [7/4/15]

Finished Sally's character sprite and added it. Working on a character sprite of Neil as a child and almost finished with Antares.
Finished the sprite of kid Neil! What a cute little face~

Also finished a CG today, half way done with another.

Amajor made wonderful music for when Neil meets Alhena as well. ^^

RokAbiel
Regular

Re: Galaktika Gamble [Dark][Science Fantasy]-UPDATE (10/14/2018)

#10 Post by RokAbiel »

UPDATE(October 14, 2018)

I haven't updated here in awhile because I'm awkward and shy, but I figured it's about time I update this.
THIS VN IS STILL IN PROGRESS. Lots of progress has been made these past few years though!
I've gotten lots more art done, I've learned a lot in terms of coding, the sprites are now animated with blinking and lip flap animations instead of just still images,
and the project now has music, made by CthulhuSeeker on Soundcloud. Check it out in the link below if you like!
https://soundcloud.com/davidsalazar-1/s ... sual-novel

Here's a couple previews of some voiced lines if you're interested in checking that out too. Other characters have VAs as well, but I would rather spend more time actually working on the project than making these little previews for every character haha.

Neil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5isFKAeBu8
Kion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpgzIFks-Kc

Here's a gif preview of some of the expressions one of the sprites makes, along with blinking and lip flap animation!(Showing a character not listed above to keep it interesting haha.)

crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

#11 Post by crystalscm »

1. Does the story sound interesting?
Sure it does. It seems like a pretty big and dark story with so many secrets going around the characters and all. I like the concept of having these Stellars. I've always had a thing for stars and them being personified to some extent. In this case, it's more like "represented" though, I guess.

2. Is my art okay? Do you like it?
I think your art is nice. I hope it's okay to openly admit that it's not the best art I've seen, but it's certainly not the worst art I've seen either. Art is just one of those things that takes years of practice though. Those Stellars look really beautiful though! I'd definitely cosplay as them, given I have the materials to, ahaha.

Ivan. Who is the "shadow"? I guess it would be a spoiler, but I'm pretty darn curious. I doubt it's simply he's insane. I think Sadalmelik has also caught my interest. He might be my favorite, in fact. He seems cute (...well, notwithstanding appearance), with that gold-star thing going on, haha. I couldn't help but smile when I read that.

4. Would you be interested in playing this game even though it isn't a dating sim kind of game? (I know being a dating sim isn't a requirement, but I know a large amount of visual novels are so I didn't know if it would have an effect on whether people want to play)
I'm a huge romance person, but I also like plot-heavy stories as well. In my personal case, I like any story with romance, generally. It doesn't matter if it's the "primary" or "secondary" genre-- just as long as it's there, you know. Like Nightshade / Hyakka Hyakurou is a VN I liked for the heavy dark story and all, but I also treasure its romantic aspect and the pursuing of different characters as well. So, you can say ideally, I like a balance between just a plot-heavy story and the "Otome Game" aspect where you pursue different characters romantically and make lots of choices, etc. if that makes any sense.

RokAbiel
Regular

#12 Post by RokAbiel »

crystalscm wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:17 pm 1. Does the story sound interesting?
Sure it does. It seems like a pretty big and dark story with so many secrets going around the characters and all. I like the concept of having these Stellars. I've always had a thing for stars and them being personified to some extent. In this case, it's more like "represented" though, I guess.

2. Is my art okay? Do you like it?
I think your art is nice. I hope it's okay to openly admit that it's not the best art I've seen, but it's certainly not the worst art I've seen either. Art is just one of those things that takes years of practice though. Those Stellars look really beautiful though! I'd definitely cosplay as them, given I have the materials to, ahaha.

Ivan. Who is the "shadow"? I guess it would be a spoiler, but I'm pretty darn curious. I doubt it's simply he's insane. I think Sadalmelik has also caught my interest. He might be my favorite, in fact. He seems cute (...well, notwithstanding appearance), with that gold-star thing going on, haha. I couldn't help but smile when I read that.

4. Would you be interested in playing this game even though it isn't a dating sim kind of game? (I know being a dating sim isn't a requirement, but I know a large amount of visual novels are so I didn't know if it would have an effect on whether people want to play)
I'm a huge romance person, but I also like plot-heavy stories as well. In my personal case, I like any story with romance, generally. It doesn't matter if it's the "primary" or "secondary" genre-- just as long as it's there, you know. Like Nightshade / Hyakka Hyakurou is a VN I liked for the heavy dark story and all, but I also treasure its romantic aspect and the pursuing of different characters as well. So, you can say ideally, I like a balance between just a plot-heavy story and the "Otome Game" aspect where you pursue different characters romantically and make lots of choices, etc. if that makes any sense.

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate such thought out, detailed answers!

1. I'm glad you like the concept of Stellars :D Though the Stellars aren't exactly the stars themselves personified, the link they have to their stars is definitely important to the story!

2. I appreciate your honest critique(I prefer honesty; I was an art major in college so I know very well that improvement doesn't happen with sugarcoating anything haha)! The sprites listed above(With exception of the animated gif I posted with my most recent update) were drawn in the Spring/Summer of 2015. I have redone the art for all of the former sprites since then to give them blinking and lip flap animation, and while remaking them I have fixed a few of the issues I found with some of them(Such as weird anatomy or some awkward/lazy shading on some of them. I also admit some of the former sprites were rushed since I took out two birds with one stone and drew them as my project for my final in my Graphic Design class back then, so I rushed them to meet the deadline. :lol: I'm glad I remade the sprites and took my time on them, I hope it will improve the overall quality of my project, even if it's just by a little). My art style is still roughly the same, but I hope I have improved compared to 2015 at least haha. Here's the most recent sprite I have finished, if that helps for comparison? I still hope to improve even more with each year!

The fact that you would cosplay them if you had materials is probably the biggest compliment I could wish for, so thanks a lot! :D I love cosplaying and I know how much time and effort making costumes take, so it means a lot that someone might even consider or show interest in cosplaying any character I've come up haha.

3. Yeaaaaaah... the shadow is a spoiler, but it should be fairly easy to figure out while playing. The identity of the shadow is meant to be figured out by the reader early on(Poor Ivan is still clueless though), while other mysteries are exposed/figured out later. I will confirm that Ivan is definitely not insane though, even if he might question it himself sometimes. Sadalmelik is actually my personal favorite, but I gotta keep the reasons why he's my favorite a secret. 8) He is most definitely cute on the inside though hahaha! Everything he does has some pretty deep meaning to him, even though it seems silly or strange to the other characters.

4. I can confirm that there actually is some romance in this VN, however it is definitely secondary as the story of trying to fulfill Neil's wish is more of the main focus. Despite the little bit of romance as a sub-plot, it's still not a dating sim so that's why I figured I would ask about it. ^^;; I probably overthink and worry about stuff too much haha! It makes me happy though that a plot-heavy story VN that isn't a dating sim still might catch some interest!

Again, thank you so much for the detailed replies! I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions in relation to my project! :D