Water Lily [Historical Romance] [PXB&G]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

Water Lily [Historical Romance] [PXB&G]

#1 Post by annpan »

PROJECT INTRO
The visual novel will be a Chinese history tactic which includes srpg undertones incorporated within the visual novel. For the game experience, the game will be played in player x the character.

NEWS
The game will now be fully voice acted, original song has been made for opening. Character info has been implemented below the huge post.

STORY
Ever since Zhang Jue was little he/she was thrown into a life of evil. Wanting to restart his/her life with the boss family/lover, he/she had planned an escape to leave the syndicate with a great amount of money. However during his/her escape with his/her lover, Zhang Jue had been shot by a hitman and fell into a water lily pond while protecting him/her. With the of his/her last strength, Zhang Jue gave out his/her last breathe by reaching a light above the top of the water bed. Journey as Zhang Jue who is tossed into another dimension and faces the dilemma of reliving history in the current period. With no way of returning home, Zhang Jue swears to protect his/her lover amidst a long battle during the new period. Will he/she be able to return home? What lies ahead for Zhang Jue?

PROGRESS FOR DEMO
Art 1%
Sprite 5%
Sound 20%
Voice Acting 0%
Background 30%
Script 20%

FEATURES
Female and Male Option.
Sexual Orientation: BXB, BXG, GXB, BXB, and GXG.
Fully voice acted.
Option based battle system.
Multiple split paths, CGs and endings?

QUESTION TIME
What are you looking forward to in the story?
Do you find the characters/art appealing?
What do you think an option-turned base battle system?
What are the screen resolutions would like to play in?
Will you be interested in seeing this game released in the future?
Any further suggestions?

Soooooo, is my attempt to make a Chinese historical vn. It won't be historically accurate. Just a side hobby for me so nothing solid has came out except the logo. Lately, I been spending my own pocket money to get materials and everything is slowly falling into place. Note: This idea came from wanting a Chinese otome and has currently undergo some changes to make it what it is today. I'm so rotten! :roll: Release date will probably be in the next quarter. A demo will be created shortly. More info follow me on twitter or tumblr @waterlilyvn
FULL-ISH CAST
Attachments
sdskkd.png
Last edited by annpan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:12 am, edited 13 times in total.

annpan
Regular

Re: Water Lily [Historical Romance] [BXG/B]

#2 Post by annpan »

CHARACTERS
Name: Zhao Liang
Personality: Kind, strict and wise.
Info: Liang is your teacher, he will find you in whichever kingdom you had chose.
His original home lies in the Wuyue Kingdom. He has been wandering ever since his kingdom was destroyed. He settles in whichever kingdom you chose. He is also blind.
Relationships: Qian Shui and Zhao Ya Xin's uncle.
English Voice Actor: James Brown Jr

Name: Guo Yi
Personality: Wise, frugal and playful.
Info: Guo Yi is the current ruler of the Guo Kingdom.
Guo's family comes from a long lineage of merchants that aid many kingdoms, they are respected by many people.
English Voice Actor: Viewtiful Valentine

Name: Zhao Ya Xin
Personality: Blunt, dense and caring.
Info: Xin has since taken the role of Wu's emperor after the passing of his dad in bad blood. He has a strong sense of family values. He oftens plays with Qian Shui as a child, even now he thinks of Qian Shui as his actually brother.
Relationships: Qian Shui's cousin and Zhao Liang's nephew.
English Voice Actor: Bradley Gareth
Name: Liu Xi Shi
Personality: Kind, caring and
Info: Shi is Zhao Ya Xin's right maiden. They have known each other for ages now, if anything -- she possibly has an unrequited love for him.
English Voice Actor: Still open

Name: Xue Yun Pei
Personality: Cunning, barbaric and immature.
Info: Pei is a daughter of a high merchant. She tends to do most outrageous things, such as sneaking in the palace to listen into the nobles.
Relationships: Mao Yinghan and Xuan Wu's sworn sister.
English Voice Actor: Jessica Warner
Name: Mao Yinghan
Personality: Mature, intelligent and quite a coward.
Info: Yinghan is the prince of Shu.
Relationships: Harbors an unrequited love for Pei and has love-hate relationship with Wu

Name: Da Long Yan
Personality: Cunning, sadistic and occasionally narcissistic
Info: The current leader of the barbaric/bandit kingdom of Zhou. How he become it, is still unknown.
Relationships: None

Name: Hong Meng
Personality: Cunning, sadistic and irrogant
Info: Resides in the Han Region of he ruling of her great sister Hong Jiao, his status is that of the imperial family but he is render pretty powerless in the line of ruling.
Relationships: Fraternal twin of Hong Jiao
Last edited by annpan on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:39 am, edited 9 times in total.

polarisked

#3 Post by polarisked »

Your art is really gorgeous *q* I mean, the character art!

I'm not sure, but an RPGxVN seems hard to code! Personally, I'm not into RPGs /laughs/, so I would avoid any projects related to it, but I would like to try it, since I'd want to try historical themed games! (Especially since this is a Chinese one! I haven't tried this genre before.)

Screen resolution doesn't really matter, it depends on your art!
Definitely anticipating this :D Though I do wonder your plans of development, e.g. when do you plan to release it?

All the best in your process! I hope you won't drop this :(

annpan
Regular

#4 Post by annpan »

CGS PREVIEW, only showing 3
From Nobutsuna, I give you Zhao Liang and Guo Yi -bonus CG-
Last edited by annpan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RokAbiel
Regular

#5 Post by RokAbiel »

The art is so beautiful! This sounds like a very interesting game :D I'd love to play it!

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any future updates. :)

annpan
Regular

#6 Post by annpan »

polarisked wrote:Your art is really gorgeous *q* I mean, the character art!

I'm not sure, but an RPGxVN seems hard to code! Personally, I'm not into RPGs /laughs/, so I would avoid any projects related to it, but I would like to try it, since I'd want to try historical themed games! (Especially since this is a Chinese one! I haven't tried this genre before.)

Screen resolution doesn't really matter, it depends on your art!
Definitely anticipating this :D Though I do wonder your plans of development, e.g. when do you plan to release it?

All the best in your process! I hope you won't drop this :(
Thank you for your interest in the game. At the moment there is no release date. Everything is still pending. Depending on the screen resolution, I can add more things such as the campaign option. For the coding, I'm making it a simple option-based choice to system since I'm not so in depth into ren'py stuff to involve some tactics battle system. It'll mainly be a vn focused game so you don't need to worry. I'll be uploading the thread some items in the future for sure. A cast has been updated.
RokAbiel wrote:The art is so beautiful! This sounds like a very interesting game :D I'd love to play it!

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any future updates. :)
Thanks for your support! I'll try my best.
Last edited by annpan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

Re: Water Lily [Historical Romance] [PXB&G]

#7 Post by Seigetsu »

Chinese history-based VN? YES! Has a GxG option? YES YES YES!!! I think I like the premise here!

As for your questions:

I find Chinese history to be quite interesting, so that's something I'd be looking forward to. I don't mind if it's not historically accurate as long as everything is logically-sound (as in, it follows the rules you set for this particular story universe) - it would be interesting seeing how this deviates from what happens in history (and I suppose what happens in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"? Just judging by the names here...)

Yes, they look wonderful, except the way Zhao Liang(?) is carrying his sword sort of makes it look like he's resting the sharp blade on his shoulder.

I prefer no battle system at all and just a traditional text-based VN instead, but I understand some people like the battle aspect. Maybe make it optional?

Doesn't matter to me. 800x600 and above is good enough for me.

Of course!

Any further suggestions?
I'm looking forward to some character descriptions, but I understand that you're just starting this thread, so it'll take time before you update it with more material. In the same vein, I'm also looking forward to seeing the sprites for other characters (such as the protagonist, who hasn't been shown thus far, as well as the female characters). You might also want to consider recruiting a proofreader, judging by what you've written here. Not saying it's bad, but there are some typos and grammatical issues that you seemed to have missed. It happens for everybody, so there's no shame in it, but that's probably why we need a second pair of eyes to catch the mistakes we make.

Anyway, looking forward to the demo. Good luck!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#8 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

As long as I can romance a guy, I'm happy~ XD This looks really interesting, and the art is lovely. The characters remind me of that one otome game - Hakuoki was it? I never played it, because I have no psp, but I have read about it online. I look forward to seeing the demo. ^_^

kikcac

#9 Post by kikcac »

This game looks very promising! I love the drawings and like the idea that you can choose your gender and orientation.
The background and your character drawings fits very well.
Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this one.

annpan
Regular

#10 Post by annpan »

Seigetsu wrote:Chinese history-based VN? YES! Has a GxG option? YES YES YES!!! I think I like the premise here!

As for your questions:

I find Chinese history to be quite interesting, so that's something I'd be looking forward to. I don't mind if it's not historically accurate as long as everything is logically-sound (as in, it follows the rules you set for this particular story universe) - it would be interesting seeing how this deviates from what happens in history (and I suppose what happens in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"? Just judging by the names here...)

Yes, they look wonderful, except the way Zhao Liang(?) is carrying his sword sort of makes it look like he's resting the sharp blade on his shoulder.

I prefer no battle system at all and just a traditional text-based VN instead, but I understand some people like the battle aspect. Maybe make it optional?

Doesn't matter to me. 800x600 and above is good enough for me.

Of course!

Any further suggestions?
I'm looking forward to some character descriptions, but I understand that you're just starting this thread, so it'll take time before you update it with more material. In the same vein, I'm also looking forward to seeing the sprites for other characters (such as the protagonist, who hasn't been shown thus far, as well as the female characters). You might also want to consider recruiting a proofreader, judging by what you've written here. Not saying it's bad, but there are some typos and grammatical issues that you seemed to have missed. It happens for everybody, so there's no shame in it, but that's probably why we need a second pair of eyes to catch the mistakes we make.

Anyway, looking forward to the demo. Good luck!
Thank you for answering my questions inventively! I don't think it be set in the three kingdom era, the whole history is kind of made-up and taken from actual history. I had someone of the Guo lineage create Guo Yi. Just add Yi and found out there was one in three kingdoms XD. You could say the character inspirations draw from lemma people :)

The original sketch of Zhao Liang was him holding a type of spear, however, it was changed to a sword later on and the position was lazily done. It has been fixed now. Funny fact: His whole character went through re-pull. He is now your teacher! Also, I think the battle system will be sort of important to the story line if one wishes to kill off a character. I'm sorry about that!

By the way, I have listen to your concern and gotten myself some proof readers for my beta script so now it's fine. I'll get them to fix the thread wording a bit later. The vn will now be fully voiced! Voice actors for the characters will be announced around June 30. Character list updated. I haven't shown any new females yet, but I hope like Xue Yun Pei! I'll be commissioning more people for the art.

I really appreciate this post. Anything to make the game better!
Attachments
sadhh.png

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

Re: Water Lily [Historical Romance] [PXB&G] Updated Info

#11 Post by kisa »

*very slowly watches this project*
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

annpan
Regular

#12 Post by annpan »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:As long as I can romance a guy, I'm happy~ XD This looks really interesting, and the art is lovely. The characters remind me of that one otome game - Hakuoki was it? I never played it, because I have no psp, but I have read about it online. I look forward to seeing the demo. ^_^
Exactly, romancing guys makes me happy too! :oops: That's why there is a lot of them. The female, Xue Yun Pei is a funny one if you do choose to hook up with a girl. This game is technically aim for the girls. :lol: To have the characters remind you of a well-known otome game... I'm glad! I'll tell you now that the art won't be on par with the professional artists because it still has to undergo a lot of practice to refine it! I do hope it won't distract you that much in the beta. Sorry! Hehe, from a professional stand point, I have commissioned other artist for some special part of demo's end so be on the look out for that in the future updates.

Update: The mostly done title screen that will be used in the beta. I won't work on it anymore until after the beta's review. I really thank you for the reply. I feel like I'm getting somewhere at least with this crazy idea. The beta is now planned for the end July. Hope you guys don't mind, progression was been slow~ Please also note, it might be extended a little longer due to the reworking of the assets and story of the game.

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#13 Post by destiny_921 »

This looks amazing, and don't even get me started on the art which is simply gorgeous <3

I'm of Chinese descent, so I'm extremely happy to see this. Not to mention, VN in historical/feudal settings are rare. I'm tentatively reminded of Romance of Three Kingdoms / Dynasty Warriors from the vibe I'm getting but anyway.

Best of luck with this game!
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

annpan
Regular

#14 Post by annpan »

kikcac wrote:This game looks very promising! I love the drawings and like the idea that you can choose your gender and orientation.
The background and your character drawings fits very well.
Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this one.
Thank you! Definitely mean a lot to the artists working on this. Do keep an eye on this XD

UPDATE: CG previews, possibly only showing three now due the thread size now.

annpan
Regular

#15 Post by annpan »

Updating, no I haven't been doing anything. I do apologize for that. Been on a losing streak. Here's a tiny look into the question gui and
the two rough cgs that will come along it. Concept art, hoping to make it a reality if I do feel more incline to. These weren't proof read and will be separated into longer dialogues between the characters. This is my way of going through concepts. *stares at sticky notes* One down now.

Please ignore the placeholder image XD I got nothing better.

So even the choices separate into things that you don't get know if you choose them (haven't even included the female or male scene or even the deaths on top of that which will shift the direction). This may affect the future depending on the choices made later. Long but interesting...? Oh yeah, I changed the exit to skip. Who needs exit XD?