The SunRiders [update Jul 15]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: The SunRiders

#121 Post by Samu-kun »

Fufufu.

I have a small request. Can you post future auditions at the topic at the VAA topic instead? It's looking good for now, but it may be in need of a bump sometime in the future. The closer the official audition topic stays near the top of the page, the better! Haha. ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#122 Post by PyTom »

Right now, I'm thinking that a reasonable approach would be to allow something like:

voice e "e0001.ogg"

where the e is a character name. We'll then have something in preferences that allows character voices to be turned on and off as necessary.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ai-honey

#123 Post by ai-honey »

Samu-kun wrote:Fufufu.

I have a small request. Can you post future auditions at the topic at the VAA topic instead? It's looking good for now, but it may be in need of a bump sometime in the future. The closer the official audition topic stays near the top of the page, the better! Haha. ^_^
Haha, sure. I'll keep here for questions and random chatter. I'm just going to have dinner, when I do a new sample I'll post all of them there.
http://ai-honey.com - My personal website featuring my cosplay and other works.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

Re: The SunRiders [Editor required!]

#124 Post by Samu-kun »

Hey everyone! I have yet another job posting. It's looking like I need a dedicated editor to polish up the script. I'd feel really embaressed if I actually release this game with spelling mistakes. XD Also, I'd really like to have another set of eyes looking through the script, since I have no idea if what I am writing now is any good. >_< So far, I have about 20 000 words written... I'm resisting the temptation to make this really, really epic and just making it "grand." XD I'm also really worried that the script might sound awkward once it's voiced, so somebody who can make natural and flowing dialouge would be a plus. *nodnod*

Also, just five days left of the voice acting auditions! All I need is the reauditions from ai-honey and I think we'll all be good to go! *thumbs up* ^_^

North Hawk

#125 Post by North Hawk »

Well, let me make up for my failure to submit a voice sample by volunteering my services here! :D I've... honestly never officially edited anything before, but I think I'd be well-qualified to do so. After all, I am an English minor (with a major in Journalism, to boot) who is notorious elsewhere for being quite obsessive about spelling and grammar. If someone wants to know if they made mistakes on things, they usually bring them to me. As for helping keep "natural and flowing dialogue" (which you misspelled, by the way :P), well, in all my years of writing, realistic dialogue and emotions have always been my most highly-praised point. Plus I really want to be your editor. It sounds fun. Pleeease? :D

Oh, would it help sell me if I mentioned that I'm an excellent speed reader, who can read fast but effectively, and still catch mistakes no problem? :D

Jake
Support Hero

#126 Post by Jake »

North Hawk wrote:dialogue (which you misspelled, by the way :P)
I thought 'dialog' was the more commonly-accepted AmEng spelling anyway...
North Hawk wrote: Oh, would it help sell me if I mentioned that I'm an excellent speed reader, who can read fast but effectively, and still catch mistakes no problem? :D
As it goes - I really don't recommend speed-reading for catching spelling and punctuation errors. It's usually OK to speed-read to pick out conjugation/agreement problems and some other grammatical issues, but subtle spelling issues will nearly always be overlooked. Speed reading is typically all about looking at the general shapes of words and sentences to grasp their meaning without properly reading them, so it's easy to miss errors which don't interfere with the shapes. Critically, this includes stuff like missing out prepositions, which can be quite jarring to someone reading through the same text more thoroughly.

(I say this from the point of view of someone who's proof-read four medium-sized manuscripts for print; I started out speed-reading, but soon found that stuff was getting through and I was spending more time overall double-checking stuff than I was saving by not reading properly. And really, I would probably have made the same claims before starting. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

North Hawk

#127 Post by North Hawk »

Jake wrote:
North Hawk wrote:dialogue (which you misspelled, by the way :P)
I thought 'dialog' was the more commonly-accepted AmEng spelling anyway...
Well, I think they're both acceptable, but I was under impression that dialogue was the more common one. :? Meh, doesn't really matter, I guess. Dialouge still isn't right. :P

Anyways, I guess you're right on the speed reading subject. As much as I'd want to believe otherwise, honestly, because then I wouldn't be embarrassing myself. :|

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#128 Post by Nafai »

North Hawk seems more than qualified, but if you want some more help, I can do so as well. :-) Otherwise I'll be more than happy to keep the story un-spoiled for when you finally release Sunriders XD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#129 Post by PyTom »

Jake wrote:I thought 'dialog' was the more commonly-accepted AmEng spelling anyway...
I tend to use 'dialogue' for something a character says, but 'dialog box' for the thing a computer pops up.

"The old-school VN would pop up dialogue in a dialog box."

Of course, firefox is disagreeing with me, telling me that dialogue is a spelling error.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#130 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... Interesting seeing just what kind of a controversy a simple typo can stir up. Hahaha. XD Yeah, since I rarely spellcheck my posts, there's bound to be quite a number of typos here.

Woah, it looks like quite a number of people have volunteered to edit the script! But since Chronoluminaire has already volunteered through PM just minutes after I asked for help, it seems like the position has already been taken. Sorry everyone. >_<; Unless Chrono suddenly doesn't want to be the editor, it seems that everything's good to go.

Hehehe, the good news is that atleast the story won't be spoiled for you now and you'll be able to experiance the whole thing when it's released. ^_^ *nodnod*

North Hawk

#131 Post by North Hawk »

PyTom wrote:Of course, firefox is disagreeing with me, telling me that dialogue is a spelling error.
Well, Firefox's spell check is painfully flawed to begin with. :| It's useful in some cases, but relying on it leads to problems.

Samu - Oh, very well. I'll just edit your -next- project, like it or not. :|

ai-honey

#132 Post by ai-honey »

Samu-kun wrote:Hey everyone! I have yet another job posting. It's looking like I need a dedicated editor to polish up the script. I'd feel really embaressed if I actually release this game with spelling mistakes. XD Also, I'd really like to have another set of eyes looking through the script, since I have no idea if what I am writing now is any good. >_< So far, I have about 20 000 words written... I'm resisting the temptation to make this really, really epic and just making it "grand." XD I'm also really worried that the script might sound awkward once it's voiced, so somebody who can make natural and flowing dialouge would be a plus. *nodnod*

Also, just five days left of the voice acting auditions! All I need is the reauditions from ai-honey and I think we'll all be good to go! *thumbs up* ^_^
I was waiting for my shiney new Mic And preamp to turn up but alas it has not arrived, so I will re-record for you tomorrow using my regular Mic. :<

It should still be considerably better quality than the other sound clips anyway.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#133 Post by Samu-kun »

Sounds good. :3 Just two days left now everyone! ^_^

Samu-kun has been very busy and stressed out the past couple of days trying to write the story. =_=; (must... keep... writing!!!!) Ehehehe... But atleast more people will be coming into the office soon! Now it won't be just me by myself with Ikkari looking over my shoulders all the time. I got a feeling that this project will get alot more interesting with about 10 extra voice actors to say the least. Haha. ^_^

(I better get our message board operational again. :3)

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#134 Post by Samu-kun »

I was waiting for my shiney new Mic And preamp to turn up but alas it has not arrived, so I will re-record for you tomorrow using my regular Mic. :<
By the way, I have one final suggestion... Don't forget to audition for Helio!!! ^_^^_^^_^

ai-honey

#135 Post by ai-honey »

Samu-kun wrote:
By the way, I have one final suggestion... Don't forget to audition for Helio!!! ^_^^_^^_^
*squee* my preamp came in the post. Sadly not my new mic as well but it's better than nothing. ;D

Rather than give you character by character I'll send you them all tomorrow with Helio then (and maybe a few more characters if I feel like it :< !)