Blue Moon

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
RidleyWright
Regular
Projects: Blue Moon

Blue Moon

#1 Post by RidleyWright »

Ah, I wasn't supposed to start this off now, but it's such a rainy day, I'm stuck at university and four hours away from my next class... So I thought I'd post my project, which I started not too long ago.

A brief information about my visual novel:

Genre: Action/ Suspense/ Romance

Rating: 16+

Summary:
The story occurs on early 1900's in a somewhat distant village from civilization, surrounded by a forest. Gruesome murders have been happening since lately, but no one really knows much about it. Kioshi doesn't really think about it. With so many people, it would be insane to think things will happen with him. Unfortunately, he will awake from that dream in the worst way possible.

Details: The story spawns for 3 mouths, or at least that is my intention (not that I will write every single day of them, not to worry). It will be a typical visual novel, with plot choices, some of which will lead you to death.

Scenario: A village somewhat distant from the nearest city. The village is divided in two areas, both socially and geographically. The lower area is inhabited by the poorest people while the upper area is where rich, higher class people live.

Characters:

Kioshi Sasaki: An odd character, to say the least. He is not very talkative and usually is immersed in his own thoughts while he wanders around the village (his favorite hobby). Tends to over think.
Age - 17

Amaya Shimizu

A shy and hard-working girl who knows Kioshi since childhood. Lives with her grandmother in the poor area of the village.
Age - 16

Shizuka Inoue

A quiet girl, mysterious girl. Lives in the upper area of the village. Belongs to a catholic familly.
Age - 15

Other characters:

Naoko - Kioshi's aunt and the person he lives with. Strict, but overall a gentle person.

Mai Nakamura

Sort of eccentric and forward girl, though a bit childish. Lives in the upper area of the village.
Age - 14

Kazuhiko Nakamura

Mai's older brother. Kind, respected person.

Age - 25

Ok, now to kind of make up for the dull summary, here's the opening scene. I'll warn you, it might be a bit strong. I'm considering this 16+ for that reason. My writing is not light. Without further delays:

Opening

Silence… and solitude… No, that’s what I would like. But this is not the case. Desperately, I try to deny the reality that surrounds me, the one I belong to. Noises that make me nauseous impose themselves upon my senses.

*munch munch*

I try to deny what my senses tell me, but my brain can’t accept the fake reality I try to thrust into existence. Flesh being torn apart. Flesh being chewed. I can feel the vomit burn my throat but I force it to go back.

*munch munch munch*

I’m forced to face the reality from which grotesque sounds exude. I’m forced to face what my imagination makes me see, the result of my cognitive capacity, my involuntary understanding. Something feasts on human flesh. No, please…

… Silence. My mind relaxes in a stupid way, even though I know that the silence will soon be shattered. I am not alone.

*step step*

Something moves towards me. Slowly, but decisively, it reduces the distance that separates us. No, please, stay away.

*step step*

Unable to move myself, incapacitated by the firm grip of fear, I hold onto my flimsy existence. The distant noise of footsteps grows louder as something approaches. No, please, don’t come…

*step step … breath*

My eyes, now accustomed to the gathering darkness, unwillingly see the creature’s breath. No, please don’t come any closer.

… And yet again, silence. My heart beats emphatically, my brain processes information that I don’t wish to acquire.

For a second time the silence is shattered. My body refuses to move and I inadvertently hold my breath. Or perhaps I am acting out of my free will, trying to end my life before it comes any closer. I accept my fate as much as my panic.

Something stops before my crumpled figure. I can only distinguish the silhouette of the vortex that surrounds it, an image that cripples my being and makes my mind scream in horror of what it’s exposed to.

I can’t understand why I denied for so long the reality that what stands before me is not human. I see the creature’s glowing, red eyes. I begin to loose my senses, and blackness clouds my oxygen-deprived brain. A minute seems to be an eternity, and I wonder how much time I have left to live.
The creature kneels down at my level, and our eyes meet. I can read in its eyes the insane and irrational will to kill. The terror suppresses my ability to think. I don’t want to die… I am afraid. Please, somebody… somebody help me… I’m scared of pain… I’m scared of death… I don’t… Please…

The creature makes an incomprehensible sound, hitherto unknown and exposes its sharp teeth, apparently tired of waiting. Fragments of meat lay hanging from its teeth, and the breath it exhales pounds my conscience into submission.

All the panic that I suppressed until now reveals itself, and with it my shameful, pathetic personality emerges. The creature launches itself in my direction, its mouth open. Again the silence is broken…

K.S. – Aaaaaaaaah!

-----------------------------------------------------------"----------------------------------------------

The sounds of footsteps and such are a bit of stand-ins right now, I know it looks lame like that. xD

The project will probably need backgrounds and music, I think the rest may be taken care off. I found a good editor, and thank god, it cuts me some slack translating this and improves the script quality (my English is not good enough for me to write like I do in Portuguese). I will start recruiting when I get some more done, the script is currently at 7k words, so obviously in the beginning.

Now to see if there is anyone interested in this kind of story or that can take my somewhat boring writing. Thanks for reading anyway.

------------------------------------------

Progress Status

Story- ?% (12k words)
Translation - ?% (7k words)
Concept Sketches - 2/7
Art - 0%
Backgrounds - 0%
Music - 0%
Script - 0%
Last edited by RidleyWright on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:31 am, edited 15 times in total.

Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

Re: Blue Moon

#2 Post by Mirena »

Hm, well it does sound like an interesting premise for a story. I'll certainly give this a shot once it's done.

RidleyWright
Regular

#3 Post by RidleyWright »

Ah, thanks. Always nice to know that at least one person is interested (though one reply out of 80+ views is still on the little side). I have to start not looking at the views or my motivation and self-esteem are in for a beating. xD

I've added the girl which name I didn't remember and changed a bit the summary. Will try to add some sketches sometime in the near future.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#4 Post by bloodywyvern »

RidleyWright wrote:Ah, thanks. Always nice to know that at least one person is interested (though one reply out of 80+ views is still on the little side). I have to start not looking at the views or my motivation and self-esteem are in for a beating. xD

I've added the girl which name I didn't remember and changed a bit the summary. Will try to add some sketches sometime in the near future.
Two, two people interested. I'm one, see, see? Ahem, well there are several reason people don't post replies (busy, didn't get a chance to read it, or the more diabolical "this project won't go anywhere"). I'd say the opening is a strong start with great potential, I'll hope for you to realize it ^_^
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

renkenjutsu
Regular

#5 Post by renkenjutsu »

You'll need some horrific sound effects (I'd scrounge for some in flashkit.com) to really give it atmosphere. And a lot of vpunch and hpunch :) (or shake).

With the stock black background, a LOT can be done (and with minimal graphics too). Here's me wishing you luck! :)
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

RidleyWright
Regular

#6 Post by RidleyWright »

Thanks. =)

Yeah, sound effects can really help to set the mood/atmosphere right, but I'll also need a good music. Hope that when the time comes someone will take interest in doing that sort of music and be a part of the team.

As for this project development, I will try to finish this before next university year starts. So, September 2008, if I don't face too many problems. Can't wait for vacation to come (also because I need a rest from studying - not that I study much, but I just need a break from it xD).

RidleyWright
Regular

#7 Post by RidleyWright »

Well, not so busy weekend so I decided to come up with one of the characters. First post was updated also with a 'other characters' section.

So this here is Amaya. Err... she looks a bit on the plain side, so I hope she finds it in her heart to forgive me for making her like that. xD The clothes are very simple and totally not fancy and hopefully they tell about the character as Amaya lives with her grandmother and they're poor.

...I should have drawn more folds on the clothing. x_X

Hopefully, people will tolerate this character art.
Attachments
amaya.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

She's cute :). In that plain-but-oh-so-nice-and-generous way ^_^

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

Seconded. She looks like a kind and generous person. ^_^

renkenjutsu
Regular

#10 Post by renkenjutsu »

She's cute! The perfect candidate for a horror/mystery game character. :3
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

RidleyWright
Regular

#11 Post by RidleyWright »

Glad you all liked her ^^. I'll probably try to have a bit more detailed version, since I already started fleshing her out a bit (in more ways than one... xD). Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

And because I "had to" post to thank for the comments, I updated the first post with a bit of info from the game scenario, since I think it's an important piece of the setting and will help in the plot. The game is not mainly horror or stuff like the opening, so this will let people "see" the other side of the game and how I can make a story out of it. Oh, and though I have refused to list romance in the game's genre, it will have a bit... yeah... I guess I should list it after all. xD

RidleyWright
Regular

#12 Post by RidleyWright »

Well, I hadn't updated in a while. Mainly, the reason is that I'm flooded on collegue work (and it will get even more chaotic) and I developed a certain fear of continuing to write the story. Sad, really. I have some ideas, so hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

So again, this update is a character again. It's teh loli of the story zOMG!

I hope people can get a certain vibe of her personality through that sketch.

And I'm out of words, lol. Hope anyone enjoyed the update. :3
Attachments
Mai_Nakamura.jpg
Last edited by RidleyWright on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

#13 Post by bloodywyvern »

LOLEH'S!!!!! Here little girl...wanna a cookie...? :3

Just kidding, but no seriously she's cute. It might just be all the unneeded adult animation, but she looks about ready to say "you want me to do what...?"

Ahem, don't be so scared to write! Writing stories is fun, plus I'm looking forward to it. Don't make me write it myself just to spite you (cause I can do it faster).
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

D'aaaawwww :) *pinches her cheek*. Totally adorable :)

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#15 Post by Hime »

I just have to say that Amaya is an overdose of moé for me. I can't wait to see more of her... ;w;