Tsundere-sama [GxB][Romance, Otome, Comedy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

Re: Tsundere-sama [Romance, Otome, Comedy, Free]

#31 Post by MomoiroGirl »

I want this! ´w` I don't particularly mind a bit of violence as long as it's kind of like a "gag", like over-the-top comedy style. But I think it can get boring really fast. The kind of tsundere that really tucks at my heartstrings is definitely the unable-to-handle-romantic-feelings-without-acting-like-a-stuttering-blushing-lovable-idiot kind. I suppose yanderes are also a guilty pleasure of mine. Though I don't really dig the "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, NO ONE CAN, MWUHAAHAHAAHAHH!" *cue chainsaw*. But, obviously, that's just my personal preference XD

mysticichigo
Regular

#32 Post by mysticichigo »

I've always wanted to be able to embrace the tsundere archetype. I'll definitely play this when it's released

As for the violence question, how violent are we talking? As long as it isn't typical yandere-level violent, then it doesn't particularly bother me.

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#33 Post by hiko27 »

MomoiroGirl wrote:I want this! ´w` I don't particularly mind a bit of violence as long as it's kind of like a "gag", like over-the-top comedy style. But I think it can get boring really fast. The kind of tsundere that really tucks at my heartstrings is definitely the unable-to-handle-romantic-feelings-without-acting-like-a-stuttering-blushing-lovable-idiot kind. I suppose yanderes are also a guilty pleasure of mine. Though I don't really dig the "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, NO ONE CAN, MWUHAAHAHAAHAHH!" *cue chainsaw*. But, obviously, that's just my personal preference XD
Comedy violent is what I was thinking of actually. That's my favorite type of tsundere as well. Oh man, now I'm getting this idea of making a sort of spin-off on this where this time, it's the guys that're tsundere.
mysticichigo wrote:I've always wanted to be able to embrace the tsundere archetype. I'll definitely play this when it's released

As for the violence question, how violent are we talking? As long as it isn't typical yandere-level violent, then it doesn't particularly bother me.
I'm considering staying away from yanderes, mostly because in my head, that's not something the main character would actually do. I like to think that deep down her tsundere exterior, she's a softie and a kind-hearted person.

Thank you for your opinions, all of you guys! I just got a job, and classes have started so I haven't had the time to even sit down infront of my computer except to check stuff. I recently managed to jot down a few ideas on how I want this game to work. I considered adding a hidden normal/violent kind of gauge but might not because that way, the MC could very well end up being yandere.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#34 Post by Ferdokki »

Hey there!

I see ambitous you has another project rolling. ;) I'm always exited to see the stuff you work on! n__n

Love the concept of this, seems so cool!!! 8) This is more of my kind of VN, because this is legit what I'm like in real life. I think I play other VNs to kind of pretend going through those kinds of personalities, but to actually be able to see and relate to a tsundere to play as sounds like my cup of tea. ^~^

To answer your question in the original post, no, I'm not a fan of yandere.
Actually, I think my favorite "dere" type is kuudere.
One of my favorite tsunderes is Saber from Fate/Stay Night.

hiko27
Veteran

#35 Post by hiko27 »

Ferdokki wrote:Hey there!

I see ambitous you has another project rolling. ;) I'm always exited to see the stuff you work on! n__n

Love the concept of this, seems so cool!!! 8) This is more of my kind of VN, because this is legit what I'm like in real life. I think I play other VNs to kind of pretend going through those kinds of personalities, but to actually be able to see and relate to a tsundere to play as sounds like my cup of tea. ^~^

To answer your question in the original post, no, I'm not a fan of yandere.
Actually, I think my favorite "dere" type is kuudere.
One of my favorite tsunderes is Saber from Fate/Stay Night.
Hey! And yeah, I'm almost always coming up with ideas for visual novels, but I try not to develop them until I finish the ones I'm working on right now. And thank you! It makes me happy hearing that from others.

Hahaha. Well, let's hope this game lives up to everyone's expectations. That's a VN idea right there! A sort of dere protagonist that can either be tsundere, yandere, kuudere, or any other type of dere.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#36 Post by hiko27 »

side-chara.png
UPDATE: I haven't updated in a while, but I've been getting motivated here and there to work on this game, so here's my update for today. It's just a sketch of a side chara for now. Her name's Kaoru, because she smells nice. She has really thick, unkempt hair. So far, she's like the opposite of your character: wild, unreserved, and very loud. She'll be your future bestfriend in the game, and the reason why I made her the opposite of your character is because of the tsun/dere gauge I plan on using, she'll help you be more dere -- more open and unreserved like her. I might change her outfit to reflect her personality more, the cardigan makes her look more like a librarian than anything lol.

I'll hopefully be able to update more the next few weeks since finals is this week! *ready to party errr work on projects*
My art thread
links to portfolios

Suika
Regular

#37 Post by Suika »

Glad to hear things are going well. I love the concept for Kaoru and the tsun/dere gauge!

hiko27
Veteran

#38 Post by hiko27 »

Suika wrote:Glad to hear things are going well. I love the concept for Kaoru and the tsun/dere gauge!
Hey there! Thank you! I honestly just thought up of the whole Kaoru and tsun/dere gauge. I did know that I was gonna need something that the protagonist will do to lower her tsun. Then came along my design for Kaoru lol. I'm also considering right now having a sort of mini side quest where if you choose the right answers and do the right things, Kaoru can end up with someone (I'm still not sure if I want it so that someone has a crush on her, or she meets a guy and she falls in love slowly; mostly Kaoru and the protagonist talk about their love lives and you can influence how hers ends).
My art thread
links to portfolios

Suika
Regular

#39 Post by Suika »

hiko27 wrote:I'm also considering right now having a sort of mini side quest where if you choose the right answers and do the right things, Kaoru can end up with someone.
Ooooo. That sounds interesting. It also sounds like a really good way to build the protagonist outside of her own love story...

hiko27
Veteran

#40 Post by hiko27 »

Suika wrote:Ooooo. That sounds interesting. It also sounds like a really good way to build the protagonist outside of her own love story...
Exactly. It's probably just because of how my life turned out, but I always value friendship over love, mostly because true friends are always those that stick to you no matter what. That, and well, I don't really know what I'm missing out if I've never experienced it lol. But yeah, I might make a few events with Kaoru a requirement to end up with some of the guys (that is, the protagonist learns something about being true to herself and feelings and all that shit because of Kaoru).

Though question, what do you feel about protagonists who only fully develop and grow as a person just in their love story, as opposed to having outside influences??? Since we are talking about Kaoru and how it's a way for the protagonist to grow outside of the romance.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Suika
Regular

#41 Post by Suika »

hiko27 wrote: Exactly. It's probably just because of how my life turned out, but I always value friendship over love, mostly because true friends are always those that stick to you no matter what.
I agree in a general sense too, but also from a VN perspective. Friendship in fiction always seems a bit easier to relate to than fictional romance. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good love story (I very much do), but friendship seems to hit closer to home I think.

There was a good discussion going on recently about this... I'll have to see if I can find it...
Edit: Here it is, although it's technically about aro/ace characters
hiko27 wrote: Though question, what do you feel about protagonists who only fully develop and grow as a person just in their love story, as opposed to having outside influences??? Since we are talking about Kaoru and how it's a way for the protagonist to grow outside of the romance.
Hmmm... It depends? I think that there is a lot of development and growth that can come from introspection sparked from a romantic relationship. That said, I don't particularly care for stories that seem to solve every problem with a kiss. It feels like we're missing a really important after story when that happens. Rather if a game chooses to develop a character entirely inside of a romantic arc, I prefer to see their trials, and how they overcome and grow from those - even if they happen to stem unidirectionally from a romance (is that even a word?).

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#42 Post by Ferdokki »

Looove the concept of Kaoru, especially because I can relate!!! I'm kind of an introvert, so all my close friends just so happen to be the opposite of me, somewhat loud and outgoing. xD Idk why our friendship works, but it does, and I'm happy to see the opposites-attract concept in your game as well! ;)

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#43 Post by Miss Skizzors »

This sounds really good, and I look forward to seeing it. I'd give more of a lengthy response if my hands weren't a bit cold from going for a walk, so my typing is slow. However, I'll answer your questions. I may as well try to help.

1. What type of tsundere would you prefer? Describe or give an example if you can (include the name/series in case I don't know it). Are you fine with tsunderes who get violent, or just tsun?
My example: Taiga Aisaka from Toradora. Bossy/rude towards certain people, but much cuter around friends. Also convinces male character to do things like cook meals for her. And yes, violent tsuns are pretty cool, as long as it's not the core of their personality. Which wouldn't make them very tsundere anyway.

2. What do you feel about protagonists who only fully develop and grow as a person just in their love story, as opposed to having outside influences (ie friends, or just non-friendship events that build the character)?

It's kind of a shame to go and do that. I mean, to intentionally rule that out. If it makes sense to the story, I think you should have outside influences too. In fact, it's a nice way of contrasting the love story and add a little depth. I don't grab bread and just eat it on its own, because something to go with it is nice. Make sense? There's no point limiting the development of your story, and in fact, your protagonist.

3. Comment on characters so far? Any Mary Sue/Marty Stu's? Let me know.
My only real comment is that the name implies a mix of tsundere and himedere. While I actually love himedere, I would also like to point out that the concept is supposed to be the story of a tsundere, so you'll probably want to limit her himedere traits. A couple of those moments could be interesting though!

4. Any questions about the game so far? Having questions thrown at me about characters and the gameplay would help me look at every part of the game, and see if there are any holes in them.
Nothing yet, but if anything comes to mind, I'll let you know. I guess the only thing to bear in mind is the himedere point I already raised. I look forward to seeing this story in its finished state. Good luck.

hiko27
Veteran

#44 Post by hiko27 »

Sorry for the late reply guys! Got really busy
Suika wrote:I agree in a general sense too, but also from a VN perspective. Friendship in fiction always seems a bit easier to relate to than fictional romance. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good love story (I very much do), but friendship seems to hit closer to home I think.

There was a good discussion going on recently about this... I'll have to see if I can find it...
Edit: Here it is, although it's technically about aro/ace characters

Hmmm... It depends? I think that there is a lot of development and growth that can come from introspection sparked from a romantic relationship. That said, I don't particularly care for stories that seem to solve every problem with a kiss. It feels like we're missing a really important after story when that happens. Rather if a game chooses to develop a character entirely inside of a romantic arc, I prefer to see their trials, and how they overcome and grow from those - even if they happen to stem unidirectionally from a romance (is that even a word?).
Very true on the whole friendship part. I mean, not everyone has a gf/bf/love interest. I know I don't, but everyone will have at least one friend. Or at least, non-romantic relationships. Lol I don't know either, but that's a good take on the whole thing. Hmmm, you said them. But what if it's only the guy who grows? I'm probably mistaken but there are some games out there where it feels as if the girl doesn't grow, just the guy. The guy has problems, the girl doesn't, and the girl is the answer to all his problems because she helps him through everything. What do you feel about that????
Ferdokki wrote:Looove the concept of Kaoru, especially because I can relate!!! I'm kind of an introvert, so all my close friends just so happen to be the opposite of me, somewhat loud and outgoing. xD Idk why our friendship works, but it does, and I'm happy to see the opposites-attract concept in your game as well! ;)
Haha thank you! Lol I'm an introvert as well, but I'm loud once I'm comfortable around someone. I'm actually a huge fan of opposites attracting. It's so cute!

Miss Skizzors wrote:This sounds really good, and I look forward to seeing it. I'd give more of a lengthy response if my hands weren't a bit cold from going for a walk, so my typing is slow. However, I'll answer your questions. I may as well try to help.

1. What type of tsundere would you prefer? Describe or give an example if you can (include the name/series in case I don't know it). Are you fine with tsunderes who get violent, or just tsun?
My example: Taiga Aisaka from Toradora. Bossy/rude towards certain people, but much cuter around friends. Also convinces male character to do things like cook meals for her. And yes, violent tsuns are pretty cool, as long as it's not the core of their personality. Which wouldn't make them very tsundere anyway.

2. What do you feel about protagonists who only fully develop and grow as a person just in their love story, as opposed to having outside influences (ie friends, or just non-friendship events that build the character)?

It's kind of a shame to go and do that. I mean, to intentionally rule that out. If it makes sense to the story, I think you should have outside influences too. In fact, it's a nice way of contrasting the love story and add a little depth. I don't grab bread and just eat it on its own, because something to go with it is nice. Make sense? There's no point limiting the development of your story, and in fact, your protagonist.

3. Comment on characters so far? Any Mary Sue/Marty Stu's? Let me know.
My only real comment is that the name implies a mix of tsundere and himedere. While I actually love himedere, I would also like to point out that the concept is supposed to be the story of a tsundere, so you'll probably want to limit her himedere traits. A couple of those moments could be interesting though!

4. Any questions about the game so far? Having questions thrown at me about characters and the gameplay would help me look at every part of the game, and see if there are any holes in them.
Nothing yet, but if anything comes to mind, I'll let you know. I guess the only thing to bear in mind is the himedere point I already raised. I look forward to seeing this story in its finished state. Good luck.
Thank you for answering the questions! Most people use Taiga as an example of tsundere, so I'll probably have to go and watch Toradora. And question 2 was mostly to see if people would prefer to just leave out non-romantic events of the story, or if it's preferred. I actually personally prefer for the same reasons you stated. It also adds a little bit more realism to the character and the story.

Very true. I love himedere as well! But anyways, the title kind of stuck because I had posted the artwork on Tumblr, and a really big otome game blog reblogged and tagged it as Tsundere-sama, so I figured I pretty much have to stick with my title... BUT! Since you mentioned himedere moments could be good, I could implement a sort of feature where if you name the protagonist certain names, it could affect what mixture of tsundere/another dere type she could be. Like let's say her name is Hime, she could act a little bit more himedere if you wanted to play the game as that. AHHHHH that's a really nice feature lol.

Thank you! All of you guys showing interest in the game and giving your feedback really makes me happy :D
My art thread
links to portfolios

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#45 Post by Miss Skizzors »

hiko27 wrote: Thank you for answering the questions! Most people use Taiga as an example of tsundere, so I'll probably have to go and watch Toradora. And question 2 was mostly to see if people would prefer to just leave out non-romantic events of the story, or if it's preferred. I actually personally prefer for the same reasons you stated. It also adds a little bit more realism to the character and the story.

Very true. I love himedere as well! But anyways, the title kind of stuck because I had posted the artwork on Tumblr, and a really big otome game blog reblogged and tagged it as Tsundere-sama, so I figured I pretty much have to stick with my title... BUT! Since you mentioned himedere moments could be good, I could implement a sort of feature where if you name the protagonist certain names, it could affect what subtype of tsundere she could be. Like let's say her name is Hime, she could act a little bit more himedere if you wanted to play the game as that. AHHHHH that's a really nice feature lol.

Thank you! All of you guys showing interest in the game and giving your feedback really makes me happy :D
I've actually seen a review where it points out technicalities that make Taiga not a tsundere. But just from watching without that in mind, one would view her as a tsundere. I mean, like you said, everyone does use her as an example. Besides, it wasn't a negative review. Honestly, Toradora's one of my favorite (if not my actual favorite) anime series.

Anyway, I absolutely love the idea of making the character a himedere, but there's one little issue. You would have to call her something like Hime for that to happen. Then you have to see the name "Hime" the whole time whether you want a different name or not. I guess that works, but only if you want it to be a "secret" of your game... In which case, good job putting it here. :roll:

I mean, you could have a "dere-type selection screen" if you don't mind making it so visible. That would be just as easy. Another idea would be to have a set of choices early on (or even a personality quiz) where if a certain combination occurs, it gives a yes or no confirmation of "Himedere Mode" with a definition of the term. Feel free to use my ideas without credit, obviously. I'm just trying to help out! :D