Tsundere-sama [GxB][Romance, Otome, Comedy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Re: Tsundere-sama [GxB][Romance, Otome, Comedy, Free]

#76 Post by hiko27 »

Wudgeous wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am Hi! I've been lurking for a hot minute and noticed a questionnaire at the end of the OP. Idk if this will be useful, but here's the feedback I have to offer!

1. Features! Suggestions? How do you feel about having a dress up feature? Or maybe you have a feature idea that would go great with this game!
I don't think a dress-up game is crucial to the game experience -- especially if most of the setting takes place in high school, where students wear uniforms. Having a dere/tsun meter (as I think you mentioned before) already sounds like a blast. Maybe the love interests could even be rivalmanced, a la Dragon Age 2?
(If you've never played it: DA2 introduces a system where you can earn a character's approval -- and eventually their love... Or, alternatively, you could do everything in your power to oppose that same character's ideals, earning their scorn and begrudging respect).

2. Opinions on a violent tsundere. Do you want to play a violent tsundere who always hits the love interest, or just verbally tsun?
I would say no to a violent protagonist. I understand that exaggerated violence is a common trope in high school anime,but:
  • A) If the game is literally from the player character's first person POV (as with most ren'py VNs), it might not be obvious what is happening. Plus...

Code: Select all

"I hit him." with screenshake
    is pretty underwhelming hahahaha.
  • B) Tsun behaviors (especially violent ones) can potentially cross into abuse, even if it's done for comedic effect. This list could be good to cross-reference if you're unsure!
Perhaps one of the boys is a masochist, and pursues the tsun!MC in hopes of getting hit? And when she refuses to hurt him and expresses that it's morally wrong... it impresses him, because every other tsun he's met has been willing to give him a smack. (¬‿¬) lmao

3. Preference on platform: PC or mobile?
PC makes more sense to me! Although I do love mobile games very much... I'll be happy to play it either way, but I'm under the impression that PC will be easier to program. And it should be more accessible on PC, as I believe mobile games need to make apps for apple and android devices separately... and each device's store has its own hoops you need to jump through.

4. Comment on characters so far? Any Mary Sue/Marty Stu's? Let me know.
Not enough information to comment on Mary Sue levels, but I love the girls' designs and the idea behind them. I also love that there's an element of friendship here. :)
Some advice, please make sure the girls talk to each other about other things! Not about just dating/wooing boys.

5. Any questions about the game so far? Having questions thrown at me about characters and the gameplay would help me look at every part of the game, and see if there are any holes in them (I also enjoy talking about and answering questions about the game lol).
When is the first demo gonna be done? :D
If y'all need anymore feedback or assistance with character development, I'm eager to offer it. Let me know if I've said anything unclear!
...For some reason, I had intentions to reply to this a few days after you posted, but guess I forgot, sorry about that D:

The whole rivalmanced thing is very interesting, though that would require probably more writing, but I'll see what can be done about it, thanks! Oh ho (¬‿¬) You got me at masochist lmao. Some of them do like tsun more than dere. I personally don't like violent tsunderes, being a non-violent tsundere as well. As you said, it does feel like it crosses into abuse. As for the girls talking to each other, that's the plan lol. It's always tiring not seeing side charas/girl friends not talking much and the side charas being used as plot devices/features for the game (like checking a guy's affection level). If I'm gonna draw a pretty side chara, might as well use her. I do want to write Kaoru's side story later on. I'm contemplating on having her as a potential rival in one of the guys' routes, and the implications of that because you know, they're bestfriends, and there's this guy they both like (it's not gonna turn into a cat fight tho that's for sure).

For the demo, it's still far off at this point. I'm mostly taking my time on this game, especially since I'm still in school (and doing a lot of things on the side as well such as drawing and translating). I really only work on it when A) I have the time, and B) When I'm motivated to draw (because that's when the art turns out amazing lol). So I'd say 2+ years. Very far off.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Re: Tsundere-sama [GxB][Romance, Otome, Comedy, Free]

#77 Post by hiko27 »

Almost two years without any update, so here's some right now:

1. There's a route for the MC now, where MC is now a sophomore (or junior) in college with a major in something (not yet decided) and a passion for fashion design.
2. Fashion design because I wanted to incorporate a dress up system (this game is now heavily inspired by stat-raising games like Tokimemo, and Love Revo as well as a very obscure PS2 otome I've played years ago called True Fortune). In Tokimemo, the dress up feature was required for the guys to like you (especially around Christmas). I didn't want the guys to fall for you based on how you change yourself, so the fashion design aspect will be for the MC's route.
3. Since the main gimmick of the game is the tsun/dere levels affecting how each love interest reacts to you, I also wanted to incorporate another stat where the MC can be proactive in their pursuit, neutral, or shy (cause not all players will be aggressive, so I wanna give them choice). This and the tsun/dere levels will not only affect how the LI reacts to you, but will be used during dates for a mini-game.
4. Adding onto #3, a dating mini-game. Initial idea is when the LI asks you a question during a date, your screen is filled with responses based on your tsun/dere levels, and you have a limited amount of time to answer. The more tsun you are, the more tsun responses you get, and the more dere you are, the more dere responses you get. I never really wanted the guys to only be attracted to tsun or dere, which would force players to be both. The point is to have fun, and to enjoy the reactions they give to each side of you. So with that, every response will give you love points, but they will have their preferences, so the preferred response (tsun/dere, might consider having more than one "correct" response to each date question) will give more points, hence less time.
5. Not sure if I mentioned before, there will be stats, but these stats aren't required for good/bad endings. Some will be extra CGs/scenes for each guy, but these scenes will not be required to get on their route (or get their ending). Kind of like a bonus. As mentioned above, fashion designing is for MC's route. So with the stats, so they have some use, they will be required mainly for MC's route. Dunno if they'll be required for the side charas, but most likely yes, cause it'd be kinda sad just to have them there for MC's route. Gotta make use of em.
6. System is now gonna be set for a whole school year, and just like with Tokimemo, players will be able to "plan" out their activities at the beginning of the week, and will be able to either ask LIs out on dates, go shopping, or some other thing on the weekends.
7.I FORGOT BUT ALSO THE GAME IS GONNA BE SET IN COLLEGE AND MOST LIKELY LOS ANGELES CAUSE THAT'S WHERE I LIVE. In games, I enjoyed it when I can visit other places aside from school, work and home, so might do that. Hey, might even add in a tiny mini crane game where you could get cheat items or collectibles.
8. Each LI will have 3 endings, and each ending will have two versions: tsun/dere.
9. Crossed it out on the first page but with how big and how much time the game will require, will most likely end up being paid instead of free.

Now for some actual updates:
-Had to redo story/background outlines for each character. One of the scenes for the tsundere LI I'd like to incorporate:
>I wanna give him a scene where he just blurts out his feelings by accident, and maybe avoids the MC for a few days after that because not only is he so embarrassed, he just doesn’t believe that she loves him cause he’s a wreck, and no one wanted to be friends with him as a kid and his dad remarried and doesn’t give a shit about him (his dad does, just gives him space to cool off) and he says mean things even though he doesn’t mean them, etc etc-- basically his mind working against him, and after a few days, MC manages to trap him and WHEN HE BLURTS AGAIN THAT ITS FINE FOR HER TO REJECT HIM AND JUST PREEMPTING, I WANT THE MC TO PULL ON HIS SHIRT AND KISS HIM. The MC be manly and aggressive.
>Has the dopiest smile and cutest blush on his face after MC surprise kisses him
ss-1.png
Screenshot of MC again, in different clothing. Was just doodling, but I'll try and see if I can add this to one of her clothing options.

I think that's it. Slowly working on this game, but currently, I have to finish up some things before I can get to work on it, but some things are slowly taking form, like the game's system. It's just a matter of working on them. Feel free to ask question or suggest things.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov