(i found him) By The Lake

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
maselphie
Regular
Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine

(i found him) By The Lake

#1 Post by maselphie »

ON HIATUS FOR A COUPLE MONTHS
Part I: The Lake, Part II: The City

Image Image Image
Sorry for the watermarks. ^^; BGs done by little33cat's studio.
  • Female protagonist, single-couple otome game
  • Voiced characters and detailed audio environments
  • Original graphics, including stunning custom backgrounds and character designs
  • Multiple endings based on the unique relationship built by the player
  • Dynamic environments will change with time
  • Navigation framework allows the player to explore the forest property as they please
Story: "By The Lake" is a story of two people who have absolutely no means of communication, even though they are right in front of each other. Bradley Sasaki is an proud American woman of 25 years without a penny to her name. You wouldn't know that by looking at her, however. She discovers that she is to inherit a furnished estate from her late father. But it is in Japan, her father's native country. This "estate" however, is far from what Bradley could have ever imagined. It is an untamed forest, mostly occupied by a large lake. And the fully furnished house? A barely-livable shack, heavy with years of neglect. Bradley is set in her decision of selling the property ... But that was before she found him ... Brought down to her most basic instincts of human interaction, how will Bradley react to a mysterious man found living on her property? And why are her estranged relatives suddenly very close to her?

Premise: A youthful but fully grown man is discovered living on the inherited estate. Not only can't they speak, write, or sign the same language, but the man is also found to be deaf. The player must make choices on their daily life as Bradley, the woman inheriting the property. Various relationships can be built from interacting with him, which can lead to multiple endings.

This is an otome game, with the focus on one couple. It is actually more of a psychological exploration than a dating game. At this point in time, the game is developing into a sim-game where the player can navigate and interact with their environment outside of dialogue. While there aren't many choices in your male companion, there are plenty of choices in what to do with him -- will Bradley love him as he is, or help him grow into more? Will she mother him or give him tough-love? Is he a pet or is he a friend?

Characters:

Bradley: Veronica Bradley Smith is fashionable, charismatic, and engaged to one of the most prestigious archietects in New York. She attends all the chic parties and is friends with the most trendy people. But Veronica Bradley Smith is a lie. She almost forgot her real name until she has to come face-to-face with the heritage she wanted to leave behind. Bradley Sasaki is the only child of a Japanese nobody and her late American mother. She's since dropped out of college and become a homeless alcoholic, bent on creating an illusion of herself. This Bradley is forced to use her charisma and wits to survive, let alone maintain her fabricated life. And although she'd rather have nothing to ever do with her father again, she finds she needs to escape the country.
Daisuke ("Dice"): Little is known about this strange man living on Bradley's property, especially with no means to talk to him directly. Everything about him fills her mind with questions. His inability to hear requires him to watch her at all times, which makes her uneasy. And although he seemingly acts like an animal, he always manages to surprise her.

~~~~~~~~
  • Ren'Py Engine
  • 1024x768 Interface
  • Two executables for the two story parts (Lake/City)
  • Nearly 60 character sprites, including variants
  • Over 20 CG backgrounds, not including variants
  • Comic book style Event CGs
  • Sim-game framework allows for puzzles, stat-building, and more
I am doing this project all by myself, though I will be guiding commissioned artists (I'm artistically challenged!). I've always been dreaming that I'll write a novel, make a movie, create a video game ... heck, this knocks out all three! If someone would like to co-write, edit, or just give any ideas at all, I would be forever grateful. If you happen to be an artist yourself, I am paying people for their work, so if you feel you have something to offer let me know as well. I've actually written the first half of the story into a short screenplay already, and the entire thing has 15 pages worth of treatment (synopsis/summary). So if you'd like to contribute your intellectual services, I'm willing to pass these materials out for critique. Of course, you'll get full credit in the game. The game does have a "budget" that is being spent on artists ... It is not a professional sum, but it's more than nothing. =\ The production of the game is open up to anyone, so if you would like to contribute, just let me know!

Background Artist: little33cat
Character Sprite/Event CG Artist: sage
Last edited by maselphie on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 42 times in total.
I have switched accounts to Aleema.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: (I Found Him) By The Lake - [Recruiting]

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

I'm pretty sure you're in a community where implied nudity and alluded sex scenes are readily accepted. Quite a few games by community members (including my Metropolitan Blues) have gained positive reception despite implied sexuality. So go ahead; we'll be looking forward for your story!"
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Looking forward to this too, with every bits included ^^

maselphie
Regular

#4 Post by maselphie »

That's great to know! Thanks for the encouragement ~

Spiralbunny
Regular

#5 Post by Spiralbunny »

I think it sounds like an interesting project *3* Randomly, I have a lot of interest for cases where people have become 'primitive', haha. I like reading about such cases.

As Taleweaver said... people around here in general aren't negative towards nakedness and sex scenes, so I don't think you'll run in to any problems with that. 8)

Well, I'm an artist, but of course you don't state anything about what sort of style you're aiming for graphically... so I don't know if I could be of any help. I'm interested in helping out, if there's anything I can do.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Playing safe....
Playing safe XD.

Otome game!!!! FINALLY!

Cheers to you! Good luck in your project, YAYZ!!!

:lol:

maselphie
Regular

#7 Post by maselphie »

Thanks for the lovely comments! Are there not many otome games out? If that's so, then the next game I make will be a nice full one. =)
Well, I'm an artist, but of course you don't state anything about what sort of style you're aiming for graphically... so I don't know if I could be of any help. I'm interested in helping out, if there's anything I can do.
Because frankly, I'm not sure myself! I'm trying to find out what I can afford. The characters will be in an anime/manga style, and the BGs will follow suit.
I looked at your website, and I think it's sooo cute! I love the hand-drawn feel. =)

Spiralbunny
Regular

#8 Post by Spiralbunny »

maselphie wrote: Because frankly, I'm not sure myself! I'm trying to find out what I can afford. The characters will be in an anime/manga style, and the BGs will follow suit.
I looked at your website, and I think it's sooo cute! I love the hand-drawn feel. =)
Oh, I see. And thanks, yeah, the site turned out pretty cute XD
Well, if you have any interest in my help, you could certainly afford me. I've never been paid for art so I would feel uneasy getting any larger sums of money haha. You saw some stuff I've drawn lately on the site, right? (Though I don't know if the few things there represent me well *3*; A-and I'm talking about the previews on the projects pages and the oekakiblog, not the MSPaint layout, hahaha)
What do you think?

maselphie
Regular

#9 Post by maselphie »

Spiralbunny wrote:Oh, I see. And thanks, yeah, the site turned out pretty cute XD
Well, if you have any interest in my help, you could certainly afford me. I've never been paid for art so I would feel uneasy getting any larger sums of money haha. You saw some stuff I've drawn lately on the site, right? (Though I don't know if the few things there represent me well *3*; A-and I'm talking about the previews on the projects pages and the oekakiblog, not the MSPaint layout, hahaha)
What do you think?
Actually, you're really good at backgrounds from what I can see! Do you have more art you can show me (like, do you have a DeviantArt account)? Regardless, I would definitely have some use of you, because I'm having to drop lots of stuff because I can't afford it from the professionals. ^^; Do you specialize in a certain area (exterior/interior/etc)?

Spiralbunny
Regular

#10 Post by Spiralbunny »

maselphie wrote:Actually, you're really good at backgrounds from what I can see! Do you have more art you can show me (like, do you have a DeviantArt account)? Regardless, I would definitely have some use of you, because I'm having to drop lots of stuff because I can't afford it from the professionals. ^^; Do you specialize in a certain area (exterior/interior/etc)?
Humm... I don't really have any place with recent art I've made, right now, but I could upload some stuff to my site. I have some other stuff to do tonight, and some homework to finish tomorrow, but I'll do it ASAP (late sunday or monday). *3*
Nah... I don't think I've become very specialized in anything. For the last one and a half year, I've been taking a class with three hours of figure-drawing + uh... "things and backgrounds"-drawing every week, so I've gotten practice in most areas. (I draw all the time at home and in school too, ever since I was little, but I mean three intensive serious hours of practice every week XD; ) I also like trying out new styles and techniques, so I'm ready to try a lot of things, haha. Though, I'm probably better with characters, items and exteriors than with interiors.

I'll post here or send you a PM or something when I get some mini-temporary-portfolio uploaded to the site. *3*

A-also, I should tell you that I'll be travelling for about two or three weeks during the summer, but I'll probably still have much time to draw. *A*;

Spiralbunny
Regular

#11 Post by Spiralbunny »

Made a quick mini gallery, go to http://watermelonman.freehostia.com/miniport/

maselphie
Regular

#12 Post by maselphie »

That's awesome! I'll send you a PM. ^^

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#13 Post by Kura »

This sounds really interesting, and should be a rather awesome VN. I don't think I can really commit to doing any significant help, but I'll keep an eye on this.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

maselphie
Regular

#14 Post by maselphie »

Kura wrote:This sounds really interesting, and should be a rather awesome VN. I don't think I can really commit to doing any significant help, but I'll keep an eye on this.
Thanks for your interest! I was worried if the story idea would be interesting to anyone other than myself. :3

Spiralbunny: I haven't forgotten you, my internet's been down (storm blew out my router), I'll send you a PM today.

Spiralbunny
Regular

#15 Post by Spiralbunny »

maselphie wrote:Spiralbunny: I haven't forgotten you, my internet's been down (storm blew out my router), I'll send you a PM today.
Haha, that's fine, don't worry. I've had a busy few days anyway. *3*;
Storm huh... It's been way too hot here lately, I almost wish there'd be a storm soon XD