Unshackled (Bleach Fan VN- GxB/GxG)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Unshackled (Bleach Fan VN- GxB/GxG)

#1 Post by Harliqueen »

Hey everyone! :) So, I have been wanting to have a 'side project' for some time, and I've finally got around to pinning one down.

'Unshackled' is a fan visual novel based on Bleach. (The title and logo may change.)
The main purpose of this visual novel will be so as I can test out features, and learn more advanced stuff on Renpy, without worrying about it on a 'real' game.
Areas I want to practice:
- To test out coding, so I can see it in action in a real game, not just in my stick figure test game!
- So I can practice character creation and how it will apply to CGs and tranferring it to other games in an episodic format.
- Practice complex relationships- There are so many characters in Bleach it's perfect for working out how to seamlessly blend complexity within relationships into the story (both friendly and romantic).
- Find out the best way of transferring data from one game to another in an episodic format (which this visual novel will be).
- The characters and settings are already there, so that means I can focus on the stuff I want to practice and have fun with.

I hope people who play it will be kind enough to give feedback on what they thought, and any suggestions on the code and things I want to practice.

Why Bleach?
Why not? :D
I know a lot of people don't like it or have moved onto to new stuff, but I recently got back into watching the anime after a long time away and I've refound my love for it. The manga got a bit stale for me, though apparently it's picked up recently.
There will be a choice of 2 characters you can choose to play as: A transfer highschool student, or a Shinigami.

The Transfer Student (Teenager in the World of the Living)
Having moved to town recently due to your Aunt having got a new job, you're having to find your feet in this unfamiliar town. On your first day of school, you're greeted by a sea of strangers, a few who seem to take an odd interest in you. Surviving each day as it comes is your focus for now- until you come face-to-masked face with a shrieking monster who seems to think you're next on its dinner menu.
After that encounter, your life takes a turn you're not sure you could ever have expected.

The Shinigami
(Adult in Soul Society)
Having been pulled out of the academy on your first day, you were assigned to First Division to work directly with Captain Yamamoto. At first you thought it was an honour, but the novelty soon wears off when you're treated with disdain by most around you for not having any real skills, and for the apparent special treatment you've been given.
It's not until one fateful and traumatic encounter with a hollow, that the truth of your situation begins to come to light.

The main story will be the same for both characters, but obviously have variations. Though, a lot of episode 1 will be completely different for the characters.

-
Love Interests
The two characters will have different love interests avaliable to them, mostly because I felt uncomfortable writing the teenage girl in a romance with the older characters!

Love interests for the Transfer Student: Ichigo, Ishida, Sado, Orihime, Renji, Rukia.

Love interests for the Shinigami: Byakuya, Kyoraku, Ukitake, Renji, Hisagi, Ikkaku, Urahara, Gin(Pre-existing relationship only), Tosen(Pre-existing relationship only)

I am open to adding other love interests if people are interested and if it's feasible with the storyline.
The story will follow your character, who will play a big role in the events of the anime- so if you don't enjoy stories where the MC is the main role of already established plots, then this may not be the VN for you :D

The story takes place after the Soul Society Arc, but before the Arrancar arc. The story will follow eventually the events of the Arrancar arc.

Episode 1 will mostly focus on the origin of your character, setting up the story, and starting to build relationships.
Episode 2 will focus more on training, beginning to look at building the type of power you want, as well as acquiring your zanpakuto.
Episode 3 will be the real start of using everything you've developed, plus really starting to cement relationships and for them to start having an influence on the story, your character, and others.
Episode 4 will possibly begin linking into the events of the anime.

Romance will be a heavy feature in this VN.
Relationship System

The points system I plan to implement has 3 different types of points:

Friendship
Respect
Romance

Friendship and respect will play out in different ways. For example, someone who respects you may not come to your aid in a fight because they know you can handle it, but a friend will come to your aid anyway because, well, you're friends! :D

Why is it a complex system?
The plan is to have it so the relationships feel natural and interweave together. For example, say you choose to have a pre-existing relationship with Gin, but fall for Renji, I don't want you to just have to choose one or the other. Matters of the heart and of friendship are complicated, so I want to replicate that as best I can in this VN.

Maybe you're friends with someone who disapproves of your romance choice- if you're good enough friends the they might actually talk to you about it, if you're just merely friends, they must just grumble about it instead.
Maybe your have a respectful relationship with someone, but you suddenly realise you like them more than that- the relationship start will be a lot different than if you were friends with them already.

These are just some examples, and I might not be able to get this all in. But, it's something I really want to shoot for.

Love triangles will be possible, but unfortunately I am not confident enough to write polyamorous relationships for this (that much complexity is a bit too far for me! :D ).

Power Development

Your character will have a special type of power in this story, but I won't go into detail about it because of spoilers!

You can develop your skills in other ways though:

Zanjutsu- swordsmanship
Hoho- Speed and agility
Kido- Destructive/Binding/Healing
Hakuda- hand to hand

The way you develop your character, and what they choose to focus on will have an impact on the story.

Zanpakuto

Your character's zanpakuto will vary depending on the way you develop your character's skill. Hopefully it will be suited to the way you've chosen to make your character fight. Each type of zanpakuto will have a different 'personality'.

--

I'm still planning a lot of this, but I have most everything planned out.

Progress on this will be slow
, mainly due to the fact my focus is mostly on my main VN, also the fact that I have to draw so many sprites and backgrounds for this VN. Once I get a new laptop in the far future, progress will probably be completed quicker.

I plan to release the first episode and see how it goes, before diving any further into this.

Mainly though this VN is simply for fun and practice (and a bit of self-indulgence for myself), so I hope it will be fun for you too!

(This visual novel won't use things such as -chan or -sama. I just don't have the heart to butcher the Japanese language with my ignorance of it! Though some things I will stick to, such as Shinigami, as it sounds so much better than Soul Reaper.)
1. Does this sound interesting to you? Something you would enjoy?

. Would you be willing to give feedback on things I try out in this VN, such as different types of coding, after playing it?

3. Is there anything you would like to see in this VN that I haven't mentioned? Any ideas?

. Are there any particular characters you would like to be avaliable for romance? (I'm open to most, but some I might not be able to due to story reasons and the like.)

If you have any questions, please let me know by leaving a comment in this thread or PM'ing me! :)

This will obviously be a free visual novel and made just for fun of it and the fans!

--

Art Examples

Last edited by Harliqueen on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: Unshackled (Bleach Fan VN- GxB/GxG)

#2 Post by infel »

It's cool you're doing a new game especially a fan game because those can be really fun =).

1. I find the idea interesting. In truth I'm not a huge Bleach fan and don't know a lot about it, but I know enough that it is an interesting show. As for your story I do enjoy it =). I like fan games because it's cool to see what people do with them.

2. Sure, I'd be happy to give feedback.

3.Not that I can think of. It's look good to me and interesting.

4. I hope, if you can, that Rukia is one of the options. She's a really good character and one of my favs :D .

5. I'm okay with the main characters you have =). Maybe, and this is a big maybe, you could add a BxB options, but I know that's a lot of work. In truth I'm happy to see another otome game and it's good you're putting GxG into it as well =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#3 Post by Harliqueen »

infel wrote:It's cool you're doing a new game especially a fan game because those can be really fun =).

1. I find the idea interesting. In truth I'm not a huge Bleach fan and don't know a lot about it, but I know enough that it is an interesting show. As for your story I do enjoy it =). I like fan games because it's cool to see what people do with them.

2. Sure, I'd be happy to give feedback.

3.Not that I can think of. It's look good to me and interesting.

4. I hope, if you can, that Rukia is one of the options. She's a really good character and one of my favs :D .

5. I'm okay with the main characters you have =). Maybe, and this is a big maybe, you could add a BxB options, but I know that's a lot of work. In truth I'm happy to see another otome game and it's good you're putting GxG into it as well =).
Yeah, I really wanted a side project-type game that I could have fun with and let loose, so I'm really looking forward to this one! :D

Thank you so much for the feedback, and really appreciated! Hopefully, even not being a big fan of Bleach, you will enjoy the game :)

Oh yeah, of course Rukia, I have a complete blank when it comes to her sometimes!

I'm not sure I'll put BxB in, as I most enjoy writing from female perspectives, though it's certainly something to think of for future games :)

Harliqueen
Veteran

#4 Post by Harliqueen »

Bit of an update-

I've started really planning out the episodes I want for this, and how they're going to flow.

So far, I have about 5 episodes really noted down, and I've realised the original stories for the character will probably be about 3 or 4 episodes, rather than jumping right into following the anime arcs after the first episode of this VN.

I've got some ideas for the different zanpakutos as well :) There will be a few different zanpakutos (possibly 4 or 5), and I'm still undecided on whether to let the player choose their zanpakuto, or to assign it to them based on choices they make through the first couple of episodes- such as personality and skill choices. Any input on what you would prefer?

Love interest choices are also finally being settled! I'll give a list soon, which differs from the original post. (I promise I will sort out that original post soon and make it easier to read and less of an essay!)

But hey, I've actually started working on some art:

Ok, I know it's not finished! :D But I'm starting the secondary character sprites first, to give myself a chance to get into the flow of the style, before moving onto the big guns!

Harliqueen
Veteran

#5 Post by Harliqueen »

Update!

I am still working on this... gradually.

Have updated the top post with graphics, and streamlined the wall of text a bit! :) Hope it makes for a bit easier reading now.

Progress on this VN will be super slow until I can get a new laptop sometime in the distant future, but I will be working on it.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by try10 »

OMG?! Is this true?! FOR REAL!!!!!!???? KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :D :D :D

Sorry, but this is the only way I can express my happiness!!! :oops: I love Bleach! The anime was awesome and I would like a continuation, since I'm bad at reading manga. I am so very happy. Thank you for making my dream come true. I have always wanted to play a fanmade Bleach GxB visual novel.
Now to answer your questions:

OMG!!! I wish you could see how happy I am right now. :D I was on my phone when I saw this thread and I couldn't write cause I was busy, but arriving in front of my laptop, I can share my enthusiasm with other Bleach fans. How can you draw like this?! It's exactly like the anime! :o

2. Would you be willing to give feedback on things I try out in this VN, such as different types of coding, after playing it?

I would love to help in any way I can, I'll try my best to give an honest opinion when you release a demo or when you want to add something new.

3. Is there anything you would like to see in this VN that I haven't mentioned? Any ideas?

I would have love to be able to play as male and a female. It would be awesome to have some BxB romance. :oops: Please try to add some animated images with chibis when training to improve the MC's skills, if you are able to ( I love those types of things :wink: ). Bad choices and dark endings are always nice. :twisted:

4. Are there any particular characters you would like to be avaliable for romance? (I'm open to most, but some I might not be able to due to story reasons and the like.)

There are some characters I think won't make good romances cause they aren't so unique, especially for me such as Sado, Kyoraku and Tosen ( Maybe because they aren't that popular and I'm obsessed with good looks :oops: :lol: ).
I would enjoy to be able to romance Aizen ( even if he's a bastard, he is also a very complex character and some dark endings are always enjoyable and interesting), Toshiro ( that tsundere cutie pie), Grimmjow and Ulquiorra ( bad guys need some love too :wink: ).

I wish you the best of luck with this wonderful project! :D

Harliqueen
Veteran

#7 Post by Harliqueen »

try10 wrote:OMG?! Is this true?! FOR REAL!!!!!!???? KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :D :D :D

Sorry, but this is the only way I can express my happiness!!! :oops: I love Bleach! The anime was awesome and I would like a continuation, since I'm bad at reading manga. I am so very happy. Thank you for making my dream come true. I have always wanted to play a fanmade Bleach GxB visual novel.
Now to answer your questions:

OMG!!! I wish you could see how happy I am right now. :D I was on my phone when I saw this thread and I couldn't write cause I was busy, but arriving in front of my laptop, I can share my enthusiasm with other Bleach fans. How can you draw like this?! It's exactly like the anime! :o

2. Would you be willing to give feedback on things I try out in this VN, such as different types of coding, after playing it?

I would love to help in any way I can, I'll try my best to give an honest opinion when you release a demo or when you want to add something new.

I would have love to be able to play as male and a female. It would be awesome to have some BxB romance. :oops: Please try to add some animated images with chibis when training to improve the MC's skills, if you are able to ( I love those types of things :wink: ). Bad choices and dark endings are always nice. :twisted:

4. Are there any particular characters you would like to be avaliable for romance? (I'm open to most, but some I might not be able to due to story reasons and the like.)

There are some characters I think won't make good romances cause they aren't so unique, especially for me such as Sado, Kyoraku and Tosen ( Maybe because they aren't that popular and I'm obsessed with good looks :oops: :lol: ).
I would enjoy to be able to romance Aizen ( even if he's a bastard, he is also a very complex character and some dark endings are always enjoyable and interesting), Toshiro ( that tsundere cutie pie), Grimmjow and Ulquiorra ( bad guys need some love too :wink: ).

I wish you the best of luck with this wonderful project! :D
Sorry for the late reply!

I'm glad you're excited for it :D I know Bleach has waned massively in popularity, but I always enjoyed the story, setting, and characters, so I thought it would be a great one to try for a fan VN!

I'll be trying to make the art style match the anime as close as possible (years of drawing Bleach fan art has helped massively! :D ).

I'm not sure about adding a male character, just because of the major amount of extra work it would create. But, I may think about it as infel had an interest in it too. Maybe I might do the first episode, and then add a male character to it at a later point. Not sure.

Kyoraku is in there for self-indulgent reasons :D He's my fave!

I was unsure about romances for the Arrancar, 'cause it's a relatively short amount of time that you'd meet them for. But then I wanted to challenge myself with writing the very varying romances, so that might work!

There will be CGs or mini-CGs for the developing of skills and power, hopefully. Though it won't be stat raising- I'm not a huge fan of stat raising games- instead the way you develop your character's skills will fit naturally into the story. (Not sure how yet, but I'm gonna make it happen!)

Thank you so much for the feedback, definitely some stuff I'll have to see if I can add in! :D

Harliqueen
Veteran

#8 Post by Harliqueen »

Small Update-

Managed to get another sprite finished.
As you can probably tell, I am working on all the Urahara shop sprites and things first. Next up is Urahara himself, the first love interest sprite I'll be attempting! :D

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by try10 »

Thanks for the update! :) I can't wait to see Urahara Kisuke! :D
Good luck!

Harliqueen
Veteran

#10 Post by Harliqueen »

try10 wrote:Thanks for the update! :) I can't wait to see Urahara Kisuke! :D
Good luck!
Thank you so much :D It's really nice to know I'm not the only one who wanted a game like this!

Well here is Urahara:
He was a little more tricky as I gave him an extra arm pose.

Not sure who I'll be working on next yet. Getting there slowly.... very slowly.

Backgrounds for this game will be very simple, just because I don't have time to dedicate to them, and I would rather concentrate on the fun stuff like CGs :D

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by try10 »

I feel like I'm watching the anime. He looks so cool! ;)