Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes|GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes|GxB]

#1 Post by Coren »

“That girl isn’t me.”

In the middle of the cold, dark, dead street in winter, a college girl tried to take her own life.

She was stopped only by the arrival of her strange, long-lost childhood friend, who promised to show her a magical new world full of hope, with no pocket knives or coils of rope. Only freedom, frozen within a pretty shell, created by a wizard.

Crystallised Latitude is a story about one girl’s life, her pure dreams and ugly thoughts, and the reason why she made the decisions that she did. Shielding and protecting her is her mysterious childhood friend Mamoru, who made a bet with her a long time ago that she can’t quite remember.

Genre: Subtle Horror, Psychological, Supernatural
Warnings: Suicide, death and murder - Discretion Strongly Advised.

----
Within the past month, out of a pure fit of sudden inspiration, I’ve written a short story of about 5,000 words long. It’s almost done, and I’ve just had the idea of turning it into a game or visual novel.

Now, I know that I have several projects on my backlog already - Mica: Apoptosis, Crimson Rafflesia, and Cash vs Yandere. But short stories are always an inspiration, and I think it may spark up my creativity once more if I do work on this.

I won’t reveal the storyline of Crystallised Latitude just yet, apart from the fact that it’s set in the modern day and really, really dark and depressing (and has some vague links with Dear Mariko, plot-wise), but I was just wondering - would you all rather play an RPG horror game in the style of Dear Mariko, or a visual novel in the style of Six Rules?

I was also pondering over two different titles for this story - either Crystallised Latitude or Lullaby of a Glass Fairy. I’m leaning towards Crystallised Latitude at this moment, but just to ask - which title do you think fascinates you more as a player?
Last edited by Coren on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes]

#2 Post by Windchimes »

This sounds really interesting! I always have a thing for dark stories (maybesomething'swrongwithme)

Personally I think I prefer Crystallised Latitude as title. It's more fascinating (mostly because it makes no sense xD) And also the other one sounds too..uhm, light-hearted and just...well, doesn't really suit the whole subtle horror/psychological/dark themes as said in the description imo. Something about the words of "lullaby" and "fairy". The connotations aren't dark enough to fit the story. Just my personal opinion.

I think both RPG style and VNs could both be great, but personally, if it's more about dark/depressing themes, I would prefer seeing it in a VN style more, but if it's more horror, I'd prefer RPG style. I'm not sure if that makes sense xD For me, I think game elements would distract me from the dark/depressing atmosphere, but to the contrary, if it's horror, gameplay elements would make me immerse myself more into the game and I would get more freaked out as a result.

I'm really looking forward to this~ I loved your other games so I'm excited xD

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes]

#3 Post by Coren »

Thank you! :D Crystallised Latitude it is - I think it fits the story better as well.

This is the main character, whose name has not yet been revealed!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes|GxB]

#4 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Yeah, Crystallised Latitude is best, and I have grown fond of it already. VN style would work better, and I have to say, I do prefer it over rpgs. Keep up the great work! I am really looking forward to this game~

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: Crystallised Latitude [Dark Themes|GxB]

#5 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

..Urg, wait, this is an older thread than the one I commented on. Just forget what I put down, it's old news by now. ^^;