Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Writer16
Regular
Projects: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)
Tumblr: my-allisondiamond-world
Deviantart: allisondiamond1

Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)

#1 Post by Writer16 »

Courting season has begun.
And it is a terrible, terrible time.
The invitations arrive in different shades; each shade tells a story.
Gold is the symbol for marriage.
Silver is the symbol for courting.
Ivory is the symbol for disgrace
Dive into the late 1800s through Lady Cromwell's eyes.
Experience the pleasure of ballroom dancing.
Meet three gentlemen.
See which shade each of the gentleman falls under.
Take the pleasure in conversing with each gentleman, and experience the changing world.
Form awful judgements or experience wonderful conversations!

A short tale of friendship, bad judgements, challenging views, and a small dosage of romance.

About

Courting season has begun, and Lady Cromwell, afraid of committing indecent acts that many young ladies have done, chooses her suitors very carefully.

Characters

•´¯`•. ⓛⓐⓓⓨ ⓒⓡⓞⓜⓦⓔⓛⓛ .•´¯`•

A silly heroine with very unreliable judgements. Lady Cromwell is quick to judge, predict horrible consequences, and can be snobbish.

•´¯`•. ⓛⓞⓡⓓ ⓖⓐⓤⓝⓣ .•´¯`•

A very graceful young man, whom, speaks with a naturalness, and moves ever-so gracefully, according to Lady Cromwell. Which shade does he fall under? Lady Cromwell is eager to find out.

•´¯`•. ⓛⓞⓡⓓ ⓕⓔⓝⓦⓘⓒⓗ .•´¯`•

A young man with memorizing eyes, which crumbles the bitterness in Lady Cromwell's person, according to Lady Cromwell. Which shade does he fall under? Lady Cromwell is eager to find out.

•´¯`•. ⓢⓘⓡ ⓒⓐⓡⓣⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ .•´¯`•

An older man, whom plucks the dullness to words, and breathes life to them, according to Lady Cromwell. Which shade does he fall under? Lady Cromwell is eager to find out.

Features

• Play as Lady Amelia Cromwell.
  • Choose choices which affect the story.
  • Choose three different gentlemen.
  • Decide if Lady Cromwell can decide which shade each of the gentlemen are.
  • Three endings for each gentleman.
  • A story of less than 10, 000 words.
Progress

Writing:
Lord Gaunt's Routes: Finished.
Lord Fenwich's Routes: Finished.
Sir Cartwright's Routes: 5% in.
Overall story: 75% done.

Art:

Background: 100%.
Textbox: 100%.
Character art: 0%.
Music: 0%. Leaving that for the end.

Credits

Textbox: provided by OokamiKasumi.

Background provided by ED-resources on Deviantart.

Art: Anne

A very silly tale of romance with a very silly heroine. The entire story takes place in one ballroom dancing, consisting of conversations between Lady Cromwell and the gentleman you choose, so this doesn't exactly dive into the relationship between Lady Cromwell, and the gentlemen at all. The endings give insight of possible love, courting, and marriage that may happen between Lady Cromwell and whichever gentleman you choose.
Last edited by Writer16 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"You can fix anything but a blank page." -- Nora Roberts.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Writer16
Regular

Re: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)

#2 Post by Writer16 »

Screenshots:
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 2.47.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 2.47.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 2.53.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 2.48.03 PM.png
Last edited by Writer16 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Writer16
Regular

#3 Post by Writer16 »

Updated the logo and info.
IMG_3311.JPG

Writer16
Regular

#4 Post by Writer16 »

Finished both Lord Gaunt's and Lord Fenwich's routes.

Writer16
Regular

#5 Post by Writer16 »

Anne has agreed to do the art for this a while ago. So, I decided to upload some sketches she sent me.
Sketches.png
Lord Gaunt
Lord Gaunt.png

I'll move this in the Work-In-Progress (I want to have a good amount of work done to show screenshots) when I finish making the GUI screen. Literally, I keep on using flowers for the MM and Credits Screen, and they aren't working out. I blame it on the flowers! Plus, I'll change the background in the screenshot, because I found another one which works better. But I'm waiting to see if I'm allowed to use it. If not, I found yet another background which I can see (yeah, I have the permission for that one).

Writer16
Regular

#6 Post by Writer16 »

Okay, so I tried to make "buttons." Yes, I keep on making them different shades, slightly like the other one. Yeah, not the best decison.
start_hover.jpg
start_hover.jpg (5.07 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
load_hover.png
load_hover.png (32.34 KiB) Viewed 2244 times

I also tried using an envelope to make buttons, but somehow, I end up making it look flat and weird. Yeah, seriously, I need to have some sort of an idea on how I want the GUI to look like before I keep on making designs that aren't really working.

On other note, I'm going through Lord Gaunt's routes; tweaking, adding, and rewritting things. So, that's good.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#7 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Oh wow, that background is gorgeous! I love the vivid colors-- makes things so much more grand. I love the premise, too-- definitely would play once it's done.

I have to say, though-- the font is a bit hard after a while. I don't know how it would look exactly, but maybe erase the shadows under the font? Maybe a solid white would look better.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Writer16
Regular

#8 Post by Writer16 »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Oh wow, that background is gorgeous! I love the vivid colors-- makes things so much more grand. I love the premise, too-- definitely would play once it's done.

I have to say, though-- the font is a bit hard after a while. I don't know how it would look exactly, but maybe erase the shadows under the font? Maybe a solid white would look better.
Thanks Ghost! I appericate it. I should add more about the guys -- like a quote or something -- and I will later on. Oh, and this game, is not really about romance. It's about not labelling people. Like she'll find that out in certain endings. I am, in fact, changing the font, and maybe the color too. I'm glad you liked the background, but I might end using this one.
bg.png

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#9 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Oh man, that makes it even better! I'll definitely be waiting.

I think the font color is fine, it's just the font. And maybe the padding. Other than that, I think you're good.
Aah, nice! I personally like the vivid blue in the old one, but this definitely makes it look a lot more... I don't know, solid, I suppose. And that works great, too, just in different ways.

Can't wait to see the updates!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Writer16
Regular

#10 Post by Writer16 »

After lots and lots of struggle, I finally made this for the MM.

This is how it currently looks in Ren'py:
Shades' MM.png
Yeah, I'll probably add "Shades" between the cover image and the buttons. Or I'll crop the cover image and buttons so that they are both separate images. And maybe make erase the background on the buttons. I don't know yet. It might look better to just make the buttons, well, buttons, without any background, like I did in the orginal background. Oh, and it lights up, when clicking through the buttons, you know, since the hover image doesn't have a background and the idle image does. I think I'll add Lady Cromwell on the right of the frame. The three gentlemen will be, you know, in the frames.

Writer16
Regular

#11 Post by Writer16 »

Anne just sent me this.
Sir Cartwright.png
Sir Cartwright

The face and other features will be added in later. Yeah, I haven't made too much progress on this. I agreed to proofread a game, so that's taking some time. And this semester has finally started to kick in. Oh, and I changed my major from Psychology to English (always wanted to do that, but worried if it was a wise choice; at least English isn't the only thing I'm studying, so I have something else to fall back on), so it has been a crazy couple of weeks. Yeah, and I write too, so I've balance my time between everything; not so good at doing that, but I'm close to finishing everything. So, it's still looking good. :D

Writer16
Regular

#12 Post by Writer16 »

Anne sent me this a while ago.
Lord Fenwich.png
Lord Fenwich