[In Development] The Archer's Curse

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Trachmyr

[In Development] The Archer's Curse

#1 Post by Trachmyr »

Hey everyone, prospective game designer here... just wanted to introduce myself and my upcoming title.

I am a thirty year old guy that in all honesty has only recently discovered Dating Sims and B-Games. My first purchase was Kana... and I’ve been hooked ever since. My main hobby in life has always been RPG’s, the pen and paper kind (D&D, Whitewolf, GURPS, etc.). I’m a vet with two decades of experience running such games. I love storytelling, I love creating worlds and characters and I love seeing such stories unfold through the eyes of others. Recently I was promoted at my job, one condition was relocation. As such I’ve been cut off from my normal creative outlet, so I guess it’s no big surprise that I’ve decided to throw my hat into the arena and step up to the plate. So far so good, I’ve got all the critical dialog written out amongst several notepads, I’ve got the overall flow of the game designed and all variable tracking needed. Luckily I stumbled across RenPy, which is going to make my life so much easier. I’ve just begun coding the game, right now simply the layout and UI, but soon the dialog. I know I’ll be adding in a few things (and probably cutting a few as well) during the process, so if you have any suggestions or comments (and if I really like them) I can still add them into the game.

A Synopsis of “The Archer’s Curse”.

Set in the generic medieval hamlet of Folshamdale, you play Morgan Archer, a youth with a tragic past and a potentially more tragic future. your father was a great local hero, your mother was a beautiful woman of noble blood. However, that was in the past, before the ‘curse’ befell on your family. Your mother’s marriage was not accepted by her family, they disowned her and laid a curse on your household. It wasn’t long before tragedy struck, your mother died during childbirth, and your father has always resented you for it. Your father, a once proud and dignified man, decayed into a bitter shell of a man. You might as well have been orphaned, certainly your father treated you as such, a constant reminder to what he lost.

Your father’s health had been failing for years, you have been the sole provider in your house for years. When your father passed away last week it wasn’t a surprise at all, you’ve been expecting it for some time now, perhaps even waiting for his death. Only days since his funeral, while still unsure as to your own feeling on his passing, your father manages to leave you one final cross to bear. Baron Mathias Folsham, the one that had cursed your family so many years ago, arrives at our home to inform you of your fate. It seems your father had been gambling away all of the coin that was to pay for taxes for the past several years, the debt he left you is enormous. The Baron, knowing that your father was already broken and his health failing, waited for this opportunity. On the next harvest the Baron demands payment of all taxes due, or you will be forced into servitude for a man who bears you nothing but ill will. You have but a scant few weeks to save yourself from a most horrible fate.

If that wasn’t bad enough, there’s still the Curse on your family. For whatever the reason, you now feel the need to discover exactly what this curse is, and how you can escape from it’s grasp.

Game Design, Style and Mood

The game is designed to be primarily a dating sim, while this might seem odd at first for your character to be interested in romance given the situation, it becomes quite clear as the story unfolds (Hint: It has something to do with the “Curse”). The dating sim is set on the backdrop of the Taxes & Curse story-lines, but all must be completed to gain a “Good Ending”. As a dating sim, you will be increasing statistics (Body, Agility, Mind, Awareness and Presence), discovering the particular likes and dislikes of your prospective paramour, buying gifts and building your financial health and hopefully engaging in a few late night rendezvous (the equivalent of ‘dates’). The culmination of events occur at the Harvest Festival, where all story elements collide. Whether you live ‘happily ever after’ or are doomed to your curse all depends on the paths and choices you make.

While at first it might seem that the game is rather dark in mood, one must take into account that the negative elements of the game are fairly common for the setting. The mood is more of a “that’s life” attitude, and while not light-hearted, it’s not meant to be dark and foreboding. There is a feeling of suspense and urgency, but it doesn’t overwhelm the game.

Additionally, this will not be an Anime game. The themes (and hopefully the commissioned artwork once I’ve gotten that far) will be more Western/European with an Anime influence. I like to explain it as think in Earth Tones, with a hint of pastels. Foremost this is not a fantasy game, while by no means historically accurate, I hope to convey the appearance of realism.

This game will be an Adults Only game. While nothing too graphic is planned, there will be some violent scenes, crude language and behavior, as well as sexuality and nudity. You can die, that’s ENDING 0.

The Characters

Morgan Archer
Note: Morgan is the protagonist of the story, and depending on the player’s preference can be either male or female. This choice has a big impact on how the game actually plays and what options are available to you, while I’ve tried to balance things as much as possible, the setting dictates that playing a female protagonist will likely be more challenging than playing a male protagonist.

Morgan is an independent an reliable youth. Morgan took up his father’s profession as a forester and hunter, skilled with the bow and confident in the wilds, he’s been providing for himself since he was a child. Morgan is calm under pressure, and rarely let’s his emotions show through his aloof exterior. The truth is that Morgan is a deeply vulnerable person, the lack of love and affection he experienced as a child causes him to shy away from others and fear getting close to them. His desire never to look weak has turned that shyness and fear into a stone-faced facade that makes him nigh unapproachable. Yet when it comes down to it, he is an irrevocably good person, and rarely refuses to help those in need, even when doing so is to his detriment.

Cuthbert Dunham
Cuthbert is the local merchant, he moved to Floshamdale after the plague had taken his wife. He is a plump boisterous fellow, with a hardy smile and twinkle in his eye. He’s normally a shrewd businessman, but has a weakness for the ladies, though not much luck. His behavior often embarrasses his daughter Sybil to no end. He also loves to gossips, and often gives out trinkets for the latest juicy information.
This character cannot be courted.

Sybil Dunham
Sybil is a shy girl that always dresses quite plain to avoid attention. She is a dreamer and hopeless romantic, waiting for her knight in shinning armor to come and sweep her off her feet. Always polite and respectful, she is well liked in the community. While her relationship with her father might leave you wondering who’s actually the parent, her father is quite protective of his little darling and is quite adept at sniffing out those who are up to no good.
This character can be courted by both male and female protagonists.

Mathias Folsham
The despicable man who laid a curse on your family. He has nothing but contempt for you, and plans fully on making you suffer a most horrible life. If it wasn’t for your father’s standing in the community he would have likely had your family executed by now, but if you don’t manage to pay off your father’s debt, execution might have been a better fate.

Katherine Folsham
The only daughter of your blood enemy Mathias Folsham, and your cousin, she alone has questioned her families hatred. She feels confined by her father’s demeanor, and often travels into town to listen to the local Bard perform. She’s careful to do this in secret for she knows how blind her father’s wrath can become. Soon to be married to a man she’s never met, she’s looking for a way to escape her fate. Yet despite how open minded she is for her family, she none the less can be haughty and elitist. She might want to escape her current situation, but not for one that is less than her standards.
This character can be courted by male protagonists only.

Reynold Hawkins
The local smith and one of the newest inhabitants of the community. He’s not a talkative sort, but they say actions speak louder than words. Always willing to lend a hand and help others out, he’s won the trust of the community and is well liked. He harbors some pain from the past, but good luck getting him to open up. Yet if you needs someone capable in your corner, he’s the first guy you should see.
Currently this character cannot be courted, but I might add in a courtship for female protagonists.

Margaret Leighlin
Margaret owns the closest farmstead to your cabin thus making her your neighbor. Her husband was killed several years ago in a fire that broke out in their barn. Although she’s had it tough making ends meet, she’s managed to survive and care for her daughter. She’s a sweet lady, perhaps the closest thing you’ve ever had to a parent, and you often repay her kindness by helping out around her farm.

Bridget Leighlin
About your same age, Bridget has been your friend since childhood. You’ve taken turns protecting each other over the past years and share a special bond. She’s a bit of a tomboy, and not afraid of hard work. Although she gives you a tough time every now and then, she’s quite appreciative of all the help you’ve given her and her mother. She’s also quite attractive, many guys have tried romancing her, but she’s yet to find a guy that’s up to her standards. You’ve often wondered if your feelings towards her were something more than just friendship or a kind of sibling bond, but the truth is you’ve always been too afraid to consider it let alone pursue her.
This character can be courted by both male and female protagonists.

Ambrose Payne
Ambrose is a consummate lady’s man, with a trail of broken hearts behind him. He’s the local bard you plays at the Tavern, although he seems far too skilled to be performing in this small village. He’s a bit of an enigma, as he always seems to be performing, one must wonder what the true Ambrose is like.
Currently this character cannot be courted, but I might add in a courtship for female protagonists.

Rowland Scroggs
The owner of the local tavern, Rowland is neither a pleasant or nice man. What little criminal activity occurs in Folshamdale, you can bet that Roland is the one in charge. Yet if you need something that you can’t find anywhere else, Roland would b the one to come see, just be sure you have the coin.

Constance Sulyard
Constance is a few years older than you, she is the much admired busty barmaid at Rowland’s tavern. No one is quite sure where Roland found her, or why she puts up with working for him, but no one asks because they’re afraid of the answer. She’s a flirt to be sure, admired by men and despised by women, yet no man has stolen her heart, or even gotten a kiss for that matter. Her personality can run from the innocent damsel one second, to the dominant matriarch without a moment’s notice. Since her employment with Rowland, sales have increased and fights have decreased. Of course Roland’s happy.
Currently can be courted by either gender, but I’m likely to restrict it to male protagonists only.

Amphelice Urswick
Living in the forest in a ramshackle hut, Amphelice is normally referred to as the “old witch who lives in the forest”. You’ve encountered her many time growing up, as far as you can tell she’s a decent person even if a bit creepy. While the villagers rarely have anything nice to say about her, she’s the one they turn to when someone falls ill, or when advice is sorely needed. She always has something cryptic to say, and soon she says something to you that chills you to the bone...

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to look this over, if you have any comments, suggestions or questions please feel free to post them.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2 Post by musical74 »

First off, I am VERY MUCH impressed with the depth of the characters. I can tell just from what you have put that it should be a very interesting game. I would LOVE to try this out and give you comments on the finished product! It looks to be a very interesting game, espescially given the dark intro, and I am looking forwards to playing it! I like the idea that you can be either male or female, that's a good touch! *waits on pins and needles for it to be done*
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Tage
Regular

#3 Post by Tage »

The story and characters sound REALLY planned out. Keep it up! I look forward to playing it.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: [In Development] The Archer's Curse

#4 Post by mikey »

It's hard to add anything to this post, really. It's overwhelming, notably the part about the game's progress. I see a complete game design already made, also it seems you have a very clear idea of what the game will look like... Normally, people give advice or their views to such posts, but quite frankly, I think you don't really need it. Looking forward to a well-rounded intelligent game soon.

*switches to mean mode :twisted: *
And since you announced it...
*takes out stopwatch*

I am timing you...

Good luck!

Trachmyr

Re: [In Development] The Archer's Curse

#5 Post by Trachmyr »

mikey wrote:I am timing you...

Good luck!
Ok, fair enough... but don't expect anything but an all-text demo for debugging purposes out anytime soon. I need not only time but $$$ for the artwork.

Anyways, thank you and I'll keep you posted.