The Imperium Project

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
zanaikin
Regular
Projects: TIP

The Imperium Project

#1 Post by zanaikin »

Hi, new here, found Ren'py after long and arduous research: minirant here

Well, this is sort of a recruitment thread, but I mainly came here to gather ideas from people, attempt to advertise shamelessly, and encourage feedback =).

The Imperium Project, or TIP, is a current project me and a group of friends is working on. This project has been in design for about ~3years under myself (mostly as a fiction and a campaign setting) until this January when I started forging a team to bring the production to a game.

Genre: Scifi-Fantasy, Romance/Drama, Military

INTRODUCTION:
Twenty-five years have passed since the Third World War which devastated the world, a nuclear holocaust which pushed Earth to the brink of destruction, and the worldwide famine which followed the wiped out nearly ninety percent of humankind. Life has finally settled down to a resemblance of the former normality which existed before the war, but the peace just as brittle. Exelar (the main character), the son of the now famous general and war hero Diedrich Celkosen, was still enjoying the last precious years of a mostly carefree youth, occasionally worrying about the future when he must step into the bitter reality of society. However the smiles and happy days would not last, for a menace was looming on the horizon, bringing forth a chain of catastrophic events that would push Exelar and his friends into a journey worthy of epics and a fate he could never imagine.

OPENING:
"The idea of a flawless ruler has lived in the dreams of men throughout the ages. It was a concept presented again and again, in philosophy, in literature, in art, spread by cultural exchange and romanticized by common popularity."

"For man, society, and civilization, it was an image of perfection, a symbol of hope."

"It was not a completely utopian dream, for there were indeed rulers like that throughout the ages. Benevolent and wise, they brought unification, stability, and prosperity to their land and people through their life and decades to come."

"Many would claim it to be the ideal form of government. Yet, perfection cannot endure, for man was not immortal, and there were none who could predict their coming, none who could pinpoint their presence amongst the masses."

"They came and left by the whims of fate alone, and in the shadows of these legendary kings followed imposters, tyrants, and warmongers."

"...and with them came war, calamities, atrocities... even genocide."

"Mankind had enough."

"As the sands of time trickled, we began to seek out new methods of governance, new systems of administration. We fought against fate, attempting to control it, to seize the future as our own. It may be our folly, our undoing..."

"...or it may be our salvation."

"Our abilities are no longer limited by the same bounds. Our technologies are more advanced than ever. Our knowledge unlocking even the deepest mysteries of the universe."

"It was no longer a dream, for we will make this reality..."

"...we have made this a reality."

??? : "At last, it is done."

??? : "Now... only time awaits."
CHARACTERS:
Listed in order of documentation to confuse people on who the heroines are ( xD ), also edited some spoilers out. The main characters are listed earlier, but not necessarily in precise order of importance =P.
  • ImageImage
    Reginberaht 'Exelar' Celkosen [Main Character]
    Class: Soldier, Diplomat
    Bio: An unsuspecting home-schooled 'college' student. He has an outgoing and agreeable personality, and is also keenly perceptive of others' emotions and intentions. However, that does not stop him from teasing others as a favorite pastime. Already accepting what he imagined would be a life in the shadows of his father, Exelar's childhood wish was to become a civil administrator and help make living conditions better in the postwar world. Yet just as numerous other teens learn as they mature, a child's perception of the world could often be brutally wrong.

Aoric Zanaikin
    Class: Soldier, Tactician
    Bio: Introverted but authoritative, Aoric is the oldest of the heirs and a childhood friend of Exelar. He left early to enroll in the Steel Legion's training academies at the mere age of thirteen, and became one of the youngest Generals in the history of mankind at the age of nineteen. Focused only on achieving results, Aoric is notorious within the Federation Armed Forces for his unconventional tactics and ruthless decisions. However, once outside his field of profession, Aoric becomes socially awkward and finds himself having difficulty expressing himself. Surprisingly, his hobbies are daydreaming, sleeping, and lazying around, which he tries hard to keep others from finding out.

Clotaire 'Lothair' Staufen
    Class: Knight, Diplomat
    Bio: The Knight Procurator of the Shining Cross squadron, Lothair is the direct successor to the Grand Master of the Arcanum Order. Completely unlike his father, Lothair seems to be one of a lax and easygoing nature, and is often prone to laziness. Yet despite the public image which makes others wonder about his competence in the line of work, Lothair is highly inquisitive and capable of becoming dead serious within a moment's notice, when his every action is guided by a strong sense of responsibility and morality. Raised in the Arcanum's hidden society at Saalfeld, Lothair's interactions with the other heirs have been few and far in between until he started working within the Federation.

ImageImage
    Hikari Kuribayashi
    Class: Soldier, Engineer
    Bio: A genius blessed with both insight and creativity, Hikari is fascinated by virtually all fields of technology and mysticism. She exhibit a strong of responsibility and practicality, but has a tendency to ignore others should she find them uninteresting. Also, she is absentminded and constantly preoccupied in her microcosm, yet shows an unparalleled degree of coordination and instinctive judgment. When not absorbed in work, Hikari displays a creative counterbalance to her normally practical nature in the forms of her gadgetry and cosplay hobbies.

ImageImage
    Canan Comnenus
    Class: Assassin
    Bio: Outgoing and playful upon first glance, Canan is a girl who knows how to manipulate others to get what she needs. However, hidden underneath her cheerful external appearance is a calculating mind, a willingness to resort to any means in order to achieve objectives, and a number of sinful secrets in her past and present. Despite her actions, she is neither selfish nor malignant, merely willing to accept the stain herself when others could not. Although she understands and accepts her role, she harbors strong feelings of distaste and contempt towards the job, a notion only shared with close others whom share a common dilemma.

ImageImage
    Aorin Zanaikin
    Class: Knight
    Bio: Earnest and devoted, Aorin is a childhood friend of Exelar and his closest companion. She takes exceptionally good care of him, but can also be rather pragmatic about his activities, particularly on days when his mother is away. She is hardworking, selfless, gentle, and despite numerous near perfect qualities, has low self-esteem. This is because Aorin hates what she is, fears what she is capable of becoming, and dreads the day when Exelar may find out.

Sofiya Katukov
    Class: Mage, Tactician
    Bio: An exceptionally intelligent but quiet girl, Sofiya is natural born seer, although she cannot consciously control her abilities. She has an incredibly detailed and precise thought process, which allows her to analysis a complex problem faster and better than anyone else. However, this also causes her to become exceptionally slow when it comes to simple activities and social interactions, which is only made worse by her shy and indecisive nature. Once in thought, she becomes oblivious to the world and hard to interrupt until she finishes. However, unlike Hikari, Sofiya does not have good instinctive coordination and tends to be klutzy.

Rika Ye
    Class: Scout, Pilot
    Bio: The smallest of the heirs in both age and stature, Rika appears to be a cute girl who is cheerful, energetic, and outgoing. She is perceptive and intuitive about human behavior, and is an excellent source of advice. However, she is also impulsive and extremely straightforward, and does not hesitate to make her opinions known once she becomes annoyed. True to her own beliefs and thoughts, Rika has a tendency to act instinctively, but is by no means reckless or irresponsible. Due to the early death of her parents, Rika was raised by Aleksandra in the Celkosen household and treats Exelar as if an older brother.

Exam
    Class: Assassin
    Bio: A promising cadet at the Steel Legion’s Sverdlovsk Academy, Exam possesses skills, experience, and toughness far beyond what her youthful appearance would suggest. Exam is pleasant, polite, and values the well-being and company of others, although she is keenly sensitive to unfairness. She has a strong connection with Canan that dates to before her time in the Academy.

Faramond 'Farad' von Salza
    Class: Knight, Artificer
    Bio: A skilled artificer and archivist of magic lore, Farad is Lothair's friend, confidant, and second in command in the Shining Cross squadron. He has a quiet nature and prefers to observe more than involve, but at the same time is also helpful and willing to provide advice to those who seek it. Farad is responsible for making many of the party's magical equipment.

Kayeten Rudel
    Class: Scout, Pilot
    Bio: A mech ace-of-aces with an easygoing and extroverted personality, Kayeten is a handsome young man in his early twenties, making him one of the youngest commanders in the Legion. He loves to tease others and flirt with girls, and makes a hobby out of giving nicknames to others. He is also a direct subordinate and close friend to Aoric, and would often pull the insociable Heir out to 'have fun'. Despite his typical happy-go-lucky appearance, Kayeten is the commander of the infamous Crimson Blades brigade, an elite unit which served as Aoric's former command and is notorious for their bloody tactics and callous nature.

Diedrich Celkosen
    Class: Tactician
    Bio: A renowned commander of the Storm Wars and Field Marshal of the Federation Steel Legion, Diedrich is the father of Exelar and one of the three initial founders of the Imperium Project. A general of the German Bundeswehr since before the war, Diedrich personally experienced the loss of the fatherland, the desire for vengeance it brought forth, and the pointless slaughter of both sides that followed. Since the end of the war, Diedrich has been a devote supporter of the peace policy, but his hatred seems to have been redirected towards the various terrorist factions who are consumed by their own wrath. Now well into his sixties, the patient and cunning commander continues to do his best in prolonging the peace, borrowing time to allow for his life's greatest work to mature.

Aleksandra Apraksin
    Class: Knight, Tactician
    Bio: A hero of the Storm Wars with the Centurion title of Saber, Aleksandra is the mother of Exelar, as well as both the spouse and security commander of Diedrich. Nicknamed The Last Knight for her trademark sword, Aleksandra is a follower of the traditional ideas of Chivalry and one of the few commanders whose name were never tarnished by the horrors of the war. Selfless and caring, Aleksandra is not only a mother to Exelar but also numerous other orphans whose parents died in the service of the Steel Legion, many of whom now serve under her command in the Marshal Guards Battalion.

Tae Kobayashi
    Class: Pilot, Tactician
    Bio: A hero of the Storm Wars with the Centurion title of Typhoon, Tae is the mother to the two Zanaikin siblings and the foster daughter of Diedrich. She joined the JSDF (Japanese Self Defense Force) during the onset of the Storm War and later became the Federation's best gunship ace. Tae lost both her younger sister Aya and her own humanity during the war, the former killed during FOCAN's nuclear bombardment, and the latter to an experimental procedure whom few know the details behind. As a result she was left bitter and cynical after the war, a trait she tries hard not to affect the children with.

Alarick Staufen
    Class: Knight, Diplomat
    Bio: One of the three initial founders of the Imperium Project, Alarick is also Lothair's father and the Grand Master of the Arcanum Order. Alarick is always stern-faced and has a strong sense of responsibility and morality. Serving as Grand Master through the Storm Wars, Alarick was responsible for gathering the other magical organizations of the world to contain and minimize the global effects brought forth by the German Maelstrom. After the war, Alarick initially lead the confrontation against the Steel Legion, but was also the primary negotiator and supporter for the cooperation that followed.

there's actually more... but I figured that's more than enough for now as it is.

PROJECT GOALS:
  • A large scope story featuring a main path with three sequential 'arcs', along with three parallel heroine paths, all of which portrayed in VN format. Thus this is a partially ren'ai game, given that there'll be a good central story even if one decides to stay out (or flunk out lol) of the affairs of any of the girls.
  • Endings to fit the story includes a main ending and six path endings.
  • An isometric TRPG implementation of combat featuring a unique battle systems, which'll emphasize heavily upon early and late game tradeoffs, position of commanders amongst units, and a balance between battlefield locality and overall battle situation.
  • An item creation/upgrade system.
  • No H =P. This project is partially sponsored (pending confirmation~!! xD) by my University's Comics & Animation Club and Student Game Developers club, which the three core members belong to.

STAFFERS:
(Currently 13 members)
Zanaikin - Project Leader, Writer/Editor, Scripter, Coder
Honya - Graphics Lead, Writer/Editor
Citrus - Writer/Editor
Sajuuk - Weblord, Coder
Dokper - Graphic Artist (coloring/shading)
Garmana - Composer
Raide - Graphic Artist
Blue123 - Composer
Piyush - Coder
Yangyang - Coder
Wolf - Coder
Zi - Designer
Nick - Designer

CURRENT PROGRESS:
1st Arc Story Scripting, Graphics Work in CCGs, Beginning Coding Work.
Intended finish date: July 2009

RECRUITING:
  • CG artists, particularly for background CGs ( since char CG have more of a problem of fitting with existing art style ).
  • CG artists willing to do coloring ( my graphics lead made a special request for this ).
  • Anyone with experience in coding isometric games or has good coding experience and willing to learn isometric game development ( python, although it's pretty simple to grasp if you have coding experience in other languages, knowledge of C++/python or jython bindings is a plus =D ).
  • Music, the one thing no one on my team knows a thing about. I wonder where everyone here finds their music artists.

I'll post some updated artwork once my Graphics lead's internet connection is restored lol!
This top post will be used as an archive of sorts for whatever that starts going in this thread =).
Last edited by zanaikin on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

Re: The Imperium Project

#2 Post by Blue123 »

Sounds good. Got any screenshots or piccies to show us?

zanaikin
Regular

#3 Post by zanaikin »

Screenies/piccies: no, project hasn't gotten that far yet =P. I only have digital version of the preliminary sketches for some characters, waiting for more within a week or so once my graphics lead gets his internet back (@#$! comcast).

But... if you really want some, here's a few of the original concept sketches (they're kinda old):
Aorin
Canan
Hikari
Rika
Sofiya and just as random xD.
Random Sketch

Apparently Honya changed some of the designs in his newer versions, which I haven't seen yet.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Nice piccies :) and looks like a big project o_O...
Just one thing I note : Aorik / Aorin. Open door for confusion there :)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

This sounds pretty good. :o Are you aware that there's a free and open source TRPG engine on renpy, made by Chronoluminaire right now? It'll be much easier to just use that than to make your own engine from scratch, anyways.

zanaikin
Regular

#6 Post by zanaikin »

monele wrote:Nice piccies :) and looks like a big project o_O...
Just one thing I note : Aorik / Aorin. Open door for confusion there :)
Haha... ambitious was what everyone else told me when I first announced it.
Mmm, well not meant to be confusing. I also thought about changing it once, but my friends said it was better used to exemplify the relationship between those two.
Samu-kun wrote:This sounds pretty good. :o Are you aware that there's a free and open source TRPG engine on renpy, made by Chronoluminaire right now? It'll be much easier to just use that than to make your own engine from scratch, anyways.
Thanks, will look into it, at the very least it might help take off some of the time needed to code the turn tracking and such. I have a feeling the action-triggered function passing in order to implement the system I've designed might need to be done from scratch.
I still need to actually investigate on how exactly renpy tools interface with pygame-written stuff and what it's capable of supporting lol.

Mistik
Regular

#7 Post by Mistik »

Wow this is audacious, but I'm digging it. I wanna play a post ww3 rpgs. What feeling are you going for; light hearted, serious milletary drama, romance, comedy?

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#8 Post by chronoluminaire »

Further to Samu-kun's mention of my isometric engine: At the moment, thanks to Gau_Veldt, I've got the technical knowledge I need to whip the engine into shape, but am a little lacking in motivation. If you wanted to use my engine, then I'd be very willing to provide a lot of support and features to match your needs.

(Of course, if you think you'd rather do your own engine, that's fine too. ^^)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

#9 Post by Guest »

Mistik wrote:Wow this is audacious, but I'm digging it. I wanna play a post ww3 rpgs. What feeling are you going for; light hearted, serious milletary drama, romance, comedy?
The game's story will be taking what I call a "double KEY-story-cycle" approach, thus it'll be lighthearted at first, then dramatic, then lightens up again for a while before heading into the climatic ending. Some of the drama will be in the midgame's main storyline, although most of the drama will be distributed amongst the three heroine paths (although most of the reasons involved will still trace back to midgame). It's definitely our intention to have the heroine path develop into romance/dramas, otherwise the ren'ai element would be a bit lacking =P.
Early game will revolve around character and setting introductions, character development, and plot expansion, whilst the player gathers party members and do some skirmishing in the meantime.
Mid and late game will also have a lot of military-scifi elements, space battles between opposing fleets... well, more like flotillas (described in VN mode) and epic scale land battles between armies (played out in SRPG mode) that have completely different organizational and tactical doctrines, the biggest of which being Fusion Age meet Magitech. Although even with the action, I certainly don't plan on sacrificing plot and character development, both of which will continue to flow as the main story path and the heroine path heads into the finale.

chronoluminaire wrote:Further to Samu-kun's mention of my isometric engine: At the moment, thanks to Gau_Veldt, I've got the technical knowledge I need to whip the engine into shape, but am a little lacking in motivation. If you wanted to use my engine, then I'd be very willing to provide a lot of support and features to match your needs.

(Of course, if you think you'd rather do your own engine, that's fine too. ^^)
Well I've looked a bit into your tile/unit engine, although I haven't done any serious code investigations into it yet. There's a good chance I'll at least use some of your stuff =P, if not mostly your stuff as far as game display goes (which, as most people know is by far the most problematic portion of the game). The only part I KNOW I have to custom code (as oppose to use/salvage other implementations) is the battle system, but that's all underlying code and mostly pure-statistics passing.
Either way I'll have a better idea of this by August, for now I need to prioritize on getting enough into the VN scripting so the story starts branching out, thus allowing my team to work on multiple scenes simultaneously (yay for productivity!).

Also, I'd like to note on more recruitment issues: :wink:
1. Honya asked me to make a request for anyone who'd be willing to help him with coloring / shading in CG and CCG creation.
2. And I could always use story editors =P, by that I mean people who can read over story/script while it's in development and provide back plenty of suggestions, comments, feedback, and preferably make edits to our drafts.

zanaikin
Regular

#10 Post by zanaikin »

I just noticed AFTER posting that I posted without logging in... didn't realize that feature was available here.
So if anyone have doubts, the above post is mine =).

Doktor Per

#11 Post by Doktor Per »

I'm willing to assist with colouring, using some of the one provided, I whipped up this puppy.
A sample
A sample
I'd have done better if it had been inked, but we can't have everything :P let me know if you'd prefer other colors or a different hue on the light/shadows or whatever.

zanaikin
Regular

#12 Post by zanaikin »

Doktor Per wrote:I'm willing to assist with colouring, using some of the one provided, I whipped up this puppy.
I'd have done better if it had been inked, but we can't have everything :P let me know if you'd prefer other colors or a different hue on the light/shadows or whatever.
Mmmm, not bad at all =). Although definitely not my choice in colors, nor am I exactly the best judge of art when it comes to coloring and shading lol.
Since Honya is both the graphics lead and the designer for Hikari's char I'd have to toss everything by him... and he's suppose to have his tubes restored tomorrow I believe.

Now the question is whether by 'assist' do you mean you'd be willing to join us? =)
If that's a yes, I'd definitely like to talk to you online: if you could PM me your AIM name / email that be great, or AIM me at Zanaikin (AIM is our group's primary means of communications, can only do so much with email/forums and meeting IRL is limited).
And also if you don't mind - the time zone you live in, your post shows up on my time as being 5:54am lol.

Doktor Per

#13 Post by Doktor Per »

Yeah, talking about joining, can't draw to save my life, but I have a knack for colouring.
Changing the colours is easy, just chose those because I thought earthy tones would be utilitarian and then the bright blue to break up the monotone + dramatic irony. There was no given palette so I just shot from the hip. Just give me the palette you'd prefer and I'll fix it in a jiffy.

As of time zone, I'm currently residing in California, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. DokPer is my screen name on AIM, I'll try to stay on.

#14 Post by Guest »

Sylon here.

I think it'd be good to have you on our team. It definitely helps shoulder some of the burden away from Honya.

The final decision belongs to our fearless leader, however.

Also, Zanaikin,
You made Exam both a him and a her. Look closely at Exam's character description.

Doktor Per

#15 Post by Doktor Per »

Cheerio mate! much appreciated. I anxiously await his/her judgement.