The Flower & Bone Movement [bxb; friendship; fantasy; meta]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

The Flower & Bone Movement [bxb; friendship; fantasy; meta]

#1 Post by fmjaye »

Hello! I'm Jaye. Welcome to my (too big for a) first VN project.
It's in the early writing stages right now, but I'd like to get some general feedback on certain things. =w=

--- Premise ---

The Flower and Bone Movement's plot starts out as a pretty standard RPG plot. Demons are destroying the world and the oracle, Teselle, does a psychic search for the divine hero of legend who will save their world. Turns out it's Celo, who lives in a peaceful village nearby. He's learning magic based on music since he was little and was even asked to become the apprentice to a prestigious musician! Unfortunately, Celo is a hermit. He's very anxious and can barely bring himself to say two words to another person, let alone make decisions that are going to affect the fate of the world. But Teselle has a solution! She summons an entity from another world to watch over Celo and give him advice. And this entity... is you! All the choices in the game are advice you give Celo, and there are also points where you have regular conversations with him which can make him like you more. Little does Teselle know, there might be another problem sending Celo on this quest. Roughly a year ago, Celo was approached to become a musician's apprentice. Even though Celo was more talented, he said that his brother Lancelot should go instead. Celo was born as Kadia, Lancelot's sister, and here he saw an opportunity to switch places with Lance and live as a man. So Celo has to go find the real divine hero before anyone or anything realizes that he's not the invincible legend everyone's been hearing about.

There are three endings and five major characters (who aren't you or Celo).
Celo becoming friends with you and the other five characters affects which ending you get.
There's one character whose friendship subplot is actually a romance subplot. (BxB)

--- Characters ---
(writing good character bios without huge spoilers is hard, huh...)

Celo: Human, sound kinesis. Lives peacefully in Maron village, making deliveries around town for various businesses. A little spacey and pretty naive. Learns songs and composes his own music in his spare time. Likes classical music and lemon tea. (Also,i n case you missed it in the premise, he is transgender.)

Teselle: Human(?), ??? kinesis. Lives in Charcru city at the temple. It's hard to tell if she works for the sages or if she's their slave. Has unusual powers. She's friendly and kind, and doesn't act as mysterious as she could. Knows a little about the human world.

Sevill: Human, sight kinesis. Belongs to a long line of merchants. Loud and (dare I say) obnoxious. Would love to be rich and famous. Has an interest in travel and can draw a pretty good map of the world from memory. Skill with both swords and kinesis is mediocre, but at least she has some!

Lancelot: Human, sound kinesis. Kind of a bro. Still calls Celo 'Kadia'. He has a good heart, though. Kind, but he gets jealous of Celo easily and has a big competitive streak. Makes friends quickly by annoying people into acceptance.

Vesica: Demon, all kinesis. A nice, sweet person... Maybe less so when she's cheerfully suggesting everyone make a blood pact because she's apparently always wanted to make one.

Morian: Human, no kinesis. A mercenary working for Mercury. Quiet, reserved, enjoys a good book. Very good at killing people.

Enso: Demon, all kinesis. The first true boss! Does not like humans, but does like playing cruel tricks on them.

Mercury: Human, no kinesis. The second boss! A prince who uses his body guard unit to help with his two passions, killing people and torturing people. Really just a great guy.

Crosida: Human, no kinesis. Final boss. Once, she advocated for peace between the underworld and overworld. Legend has it that when her husband was killed by humans she decided to take a more genocide-y approach.

--- Other ---

The magic in this world is referred to as "psychokinesis". Specialties are sight, sound, touch and flavour. Celo would describe using kinesis as seeing all the threads connecting everything in the world together, like a huge tangled ball of yarn. You need to find one particular thread and manipulate it without losing track of it or disturbing any others. For a sound kinesist like Celo, he uses music to locate and move that thread. A sight kinesist would use something visual, like a symbol or a gesture.

That said, originally attacks were going to have names, like ____ Psycho. Hence the title, Aventura Psycho. That's not a thing anymore, though. I might keep the title the same because I easily accept that things just don't make sense. However, I've heard that other people like to understand things? Weird, right? orz

edit: Working title attempt two is The Flower and Bone Movement. "Movement" as in part of a longer piece of music, or a journey, or the definition of the word 'kinesis'. Aren't I clever~ orz Flower and Bone is the name of a poem (in the story) which is relevant to the plot for a few reasons. The more thematic one being that it's about martyrdom.

Question Time!

(General)
1. Does the premise sound interesting? Anything in particular you'd like to see?
2. Are any of the characters of particular interest to you? What do you like about them?
3. You definitely want Celo to end up with the guy who kills people for a living, right? Right???
3.5 (Speaking of which, should I mention that the game is BxB? Morian is the only male main character who isn't related to Celo, so even just saying that much makes it obvious who the love interest is. Would knowing that already make you less interested in the game?)
4. Should the title make sense? Do you like it?
4. My current (nitpick-y) title concern is, do you read it as "the flower" and "bone movement" (wrong) or the "flower and bone" movement (right)?
5. Anything that would be a deal-breaker? Like, "I'd never play something with ___ in it!"

(RPG)
1. Is there anything you'd expect or want to see in a visual novel inspired by eastern RPG type games?

(Meta)
1. How many options would you expect for each choice you make, considering you'd be playing this game as yourself?
2. What would you want those options to be? Just story-related? Some inane ones? Would you prefer to enter your own responses and have the game use a text parser?
Last edited by fmjaye on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Re: Aventura Psycho [Fantasy! Friendship! Romance! Meta!?]

#2 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I mean, as a shitpost personification, first thing first. if this game is meta, can I make puns? if yes then I'm playing
OK I'm joking. I ALWAYS play games where I can meta. Preferably where I can call them "sweet summer child" to their faces.
Okay. Ignore me again.

1. Does the premise sound interesting? Anything in particular you'd like to see?
YES! I definitely like that it's a meta game where you gently guide the characters into possibly having friendships and better lives (Hey, it saves me from having to write fanfics) and I'm just. A huge fan of this. (Also, if I'm not wrong, the main character is trans? That's bonus points, if I'm reading this right)

2. Are any of the characters of particular interest to you? What do you like about them?
I'm definitely a huge fan of the main character. ADORABLE. Sweet child let me cradle you and I shall help you in having a happier life, hopefully. I'M ALWAYS HERE TO HELP.........
Ahem.

Lancelot and Vesica sound great, too, though. Vesica especially; I, too, have been cheerfully suggesting things, except instead of blood pacts it is genocide. So I'm definitely hoping I get to see her more often. Also, hey. You did say that Lancelot will annoy me into acceptance; I'm just very good at skipping all the other stages of grief.

3. You definitely want Celo to end up with the guy who kills people for a living, right? Right???
............AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T THREATEN TO KILL POOR CELO........... SWEET CHILD DESERVES BETTER THAN MURDER.
(but I mean. good fanfic fodder. I love writing those characters.)

3.5 (Speaking of which, should I mention that the game is BxB? Morian is the only male main character who isn't related to Celo, so even just saying that much makes it obvious who the love interest is. Would knowing that already make you less interested in the game?)
I REALLY FEEL LIKE THIS DECISION WORKS HERE. I'm generally into the first ship I see anyway AHAHAHa so this isn't a problem for me as much as it might have been for others, but I think like. This game is meta. The character is an anxious person. I feel like 1) forcing more varied romantic interests for the sake of romantic interests just sounds... bad. So I'm really into this, and 2) honestly, I feel like it compliments the story in general. We're playing as a character, and the MC knows we exist. The fact that he has only one love interest makes it feel more like he has his own thoughts and preferences and the likes. It's a really neat idea, and I like that this thing feels like it's reinforcing the idea that we're not CONTROLLING the MC.

SENSE? WHAT SENSE. Those things are for... people who makes sense...
I like the title, but honestly, the Psycho part makes it sound a bit like those psychological horror games. Which I frankly am not a big fan of-- not for anything, but for the almost-fetishlike attention to gore... I mean, there's a fine line between psychological horror and kink........ I mean yeah, I suppose sometimes they cross. But yanno. Honestly, I wouldn't have clicked on the thread because of the title; I clicked it bc I trust anything that's got your name plastered on it :'D (You seem really swell, after all)

IN ANY CASE. I rambled off there. I'm not good at making titles that make sense too, so can't help you here. IMHO titles don't always have to make sense; it just has to fit.

(I mean the psychokinesis part I totally get; it's just that psycho got attached into the idea of an insane person, and people Loooove making things sound edgier by adding that word... Poor word, it got butchered...)

5. Anything that would be a deal-breaker? Like, "I'd never play something with ___ in it!"
PLEASE DON'T MAKE CELO FALL IN LOVE IF LIKE. Morian is also trying to murderize him. Tenderize him into sausage bits. I've been reading too many sporks of YA FMCs falling in love with potential serial killers, so I'm just D: at the idea.

Also this one isn't a deal breaker, but I'm hoping Crosida's reasons for committing genocide isn't just... the death of her husband? I mean, you don't have to spoil anything, but I'm hoping it's a bit more... substantial than that?

1. Is there anything you'd expect or want to see in a visual novel inspired by eastern RPG type games?
Hmm... Not really. Except pretty graphics, but eh, you're a good artist.

1. How many options would you expect for each choice you make, considering you'd be playing this game as yourself?
I MEAN IF I'M HONEST, I'M GONNA GO WITH FOUR: Bad, Neutral, Good, and Puns. Because if I can pun, I WILL pun. Though hmm... are we talking about a "Me" character that's supposed to be, well, invested in saving their world? If yes, then I think I would go with a "Necessary evil", "Neutral", "Pragmatic good" and "Idealistic good" approach, assuming you want us to not destroy their world or something. Oh, and "Necessary puns".
(I can totally be the pun writer)

2. What would you want those options to be? Just story-related? Some inane ones? Would you prefer to enter your own responses and have the game use a text parser?
SAVE YOUR SOUL AND DON'T DO THE TEXT PARSER THING.... I also feel like it could be a bit frustrating for the player bc you can only detect so many words that we'd be puzzling over what actually were the keywords. (Don't look at me... I was trying to play Zork and attempted to knife the grate for a solid 5 minutes)

I feel like the normal conversations should have some story-related options, options to know more about Celo, offer some comfort, or just something inane. (I'm seriously trying to sell you the idea of writing puns aren't I) Celo sounds like someone I really want to bond with and get to know already. As for the actual plot-related reasons, I'm kind of interested in being more like either the confidant and mentor, or the choice-maker. If you're going with the former, I would definitely be interested in filling Celo in on more perspectives and points of views on the issue, and suggest one of my own solutions. On the latter, I would like to get to know more on the issue and have Celo pitch in on what he wants. I feel like both could be pretty interesting, though I'm definitely more inclined to be a helper figure rather than the leader in this case (and also IRL, so that's a bias). This feels like it should be about Celo's growth as a character, after all, and I feel like having a transition from a leader-figure to a mentor-figure makes it feel like he's actually gaining more and more confidence and wisdom. And that makes me happy.

OKAY that was an insanely long post SORRY ABOUT THAT. I'LL BE STICKING AROUND AND HOPING THIS WILL GET FINISHED.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

fmjaye
Regular

#3 Post by fmjaye »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Preferably where I can call them "sweet summer child" to their faces.
well now that you mention it... YOU DEFINITELY CAN (・ ᗜ ・)人~✪

GEN-1. Yeah! :'3 Celo is a trans guy~

GEN-3.5. :'D!! Thanks! That's just what I needed to hear~

GEN-4. Thanks! That was really helpful. |D; Titles are so hard... and i just finished watching a metal gear lp...
edit: it just occurred to me to what a ridiculous degree this mgs boss fight influenced this story orz;;;;;; THE META AND DUMB NAME ARE ALL THEY HAVE IN COMMON, I SWEAR

GEN-5. No, they're gonna be ~*~ SUPER PRECIOUS ~*~
Explaining Crosida's motivation more throughly isn't that spoilery... Or I haven't decided which parts are spoilers or not. |D;; She was fighting for legal recognition and whatnot for underworlders living in the overworld for a long time and not really getting anywhere. In the overworld there was no distinction between different species in the underworld; they're all demons and they're all evil. So it was going great. And then her husband made an easier way to travel between the overworld and underworld. So humans killed him and kidnapped another person who was important to Crosida. The whole time not a lot of underworlders really cared about Crosida's mission. Even the ones living in the overworld would rather stay hidden than risk persecution.

Like fairies in Celtic mythology and thereabouts, underworlders really love playing tricks and pranks on people. But when it comes to humans it's kind of weird. Humans are weaker and have much shorter lifespans, so said tricks tend to kill them. On the other hand, they reproduce a lot faster than underworlders. In general they just tone it down or don't do it to humans. But they are some people (Enso) who think that's the whole point of humans. Crosida and her husband both knew Enso before and neither one wanted them to go to the overworld. After her husband died (and that other person got kidnapped), Crosida gave up all hope on some semblance of equality and turned a half-hearted eye to conquering. She's not really the commanding an army type, so she had Enso get together some groups of like-minded individuals interested in ruining human lives and got Mercury involved because he's the worst human she could think of.

I don't think she really expects to win, it's more like the most elaborate murder-suicide ever.

(orz in the end this was just like, clarifying things for myself... |D; )

RPG-1. ;w; THANKS I'll do my best~

Meta-1. TRUE. PUNS ARE GREAT.

Meta-2. ahaha tbh the text parser was... NOT A JOKE exactly but lol i'm not doing that... But yeah, it really would be frustrating from a player's perspective too! Thank you for all your comments! I really appreciate how long that post was fghj It was all really helpful! ;v; Thanks!
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Ghost of Crux »

CROSIDA......................... LET ME HUG YOU.................................

Gen-4 AHAHAHA
To be fair, it's a really memorable boss. I don't even play MGS and I know about it....... it's pretty dang amazing.

Gen-5 YES............... [fades into noises that imitates kettles]
GOOD... I love them super precious things = v = )b
(also I'm already starting to like the idea.... they sound super adorable...)

Meta-1 PUNS PUNS PUNS
Make psyche-breaking puns >3

Meta-2 You wouldn't believe the amount of words I tried on those text-parser games.... I ended up quitting after the 20th attempt.

Glad it was helpful!
Image Image

fmjaye
Regular

#5 Post by fmjaye »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Gen-4 AHAHAHA
To be fair, it's a really memorable boss. I don't even play MGS and I know about it....... it's pretty dang amazing.
They're really good!! *w*// haha... Especially MGS3... It's really funny and has great characters, I'm not sure the others will ever live up to it |D;
(So far I've seen LPs of one and three. I have played none of them because I am very bad at video games hehe...)

& tbh there's no need to be fair, I've called Lancelot 'Ocelot' at least three times at this point just lock me in jail and throw away the key

---

ORIGINAL POST UPDATE!
- A new working title! Maybe the real title!? Who knows! :'D

Also here are a couple cellphone pictures. =w=; The first is Celo (left) & Morian (right). Second is figuring out armor designs for Celo.
(Fun fact: Morian's design is super ripped off from inspired by a series I'm in love with rn -- not Metal Gear -- & if you can guess what it is you win(!!)... My Tears. orz)
(Really I... need to do something about that........ he's my cellphone background I'm in so deep.....)

Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Flower & Bone Movement [bxb; friendship; fantasy; me

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I AM VERY BAD AT VIDEO GAMES AS WELL....... I really should watch an LP. I kind of. Got........ really into reading MGS fanfics literally just days before you said that so I'm. I probably should.

AHAHAHA MAN..... perfect. I can't throw you in jail. I'm already occupying it. (at least you're not naming your dev group after a constant typo you made after you got too into a guy you associate with unicorns)

as for the pictures

[takes deep breath] [banshee scream]
THEY ARE SO CUTE........ I really love the fluidity of your sketches. AND THEY LOOK AWESOME ALREADY... you totally should take better pics of them so i can stare at your really nice sketch lines in depth

I can't wait.................
Image Image

fmjaye
Regular

#7 Post by fmjaye »

Ghost of Crux wrote:I AM VERY BAD AT VIDEO GAMES AS WELL....... I really should watch an LP. I kind of. Got........ really into reading MGS fanfics literally just days before you said that so I'm. I probably should.

AHAHAHA MAN..... perfect. I can't throw you in jail. I'm already occupying it. (at least you're not naming your dev group after a constant typo you made after you got too into a guy you associate with unicorns)

as for the pictures

[takes deep breath] [banshee scream]
THEY ARE SO CUTE........ I really love the fluidity of your sketches. AND THEY LOOK AWESOME ALREADY... you totally should take better pics of them so i can stare at your really nice sketch lines in depth

I can't wait.................
/SLIDES THIS LINK ACROSS THE TABLE
:^DDDDD
i looked at your ao3 because I'm a nosy goblin and OTACON/SNAKE?? I APPROVE. =w=;; TBH i started watching metal gear lps because a webcomic artist i follow was getting super into ocelot/big boss SOO... i started out in a very unwholesome place... and yet. we started from the bottom and now we're here~*~*~

ahaha that's cute |D; /siigh fandom jail is just. it's my home... orz

THANK YOU! ;w; i will scan them someday (soon?)

UPDATE!
I am still working on this! :'3 I have 18/50(?)k written so far.
But I'm selling art at a con for the first time in July SO my current priority order is 1. my job ofc, 2. con stuff!!!, 3. my webcomic, 4. FINALLY flower & bone orz;;;
I'll post more character design stuff shortly though~ ;D SCANNED THIS TIME TOO~
Image Image

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#8 Post by blankd »

Hiya! Your thread and the idea caught my eye so here's some questions/feedback/thoughts!

I'm a little confused about the intro since it seems slightly disjointed and I think it would be improved if it's simply made clear that Celo's expectations to be a hero isn't what it is. Having transgender leads is great but with the current phrasing of the premise, it feels like its muddling what you're getting it.

Other than that, seems like it has a lot of potential, also I'm not sure how meta your meta is going so feel free to correct me on things as you see fit.

The psychic search is a little ill-defined, is her search a mistake or is it always unreliable or something of a purposeful sabotage? Whichever one it is, in general this will set the tone of the journey and the respective end of it. A far more minor question is what is the "other world"'s role in relation to the canon of the story is. However once again I'm not sure how meta your game will be so this might be all moot point. On one hand it's very easy immersion, on the other it can be narrratively-breaking if it's never really addressed. But that's hard to discuss given the nature of meta games.

(General)

This really relies a lot on execution and I think if you more clearly defined what your meta about it is, it would paint a better picture of what to expect.

This also depends a lot on execution, based off of text only it's still too early for me personally to tell. (Don't take this too hard, I'm a very picky person.)

I'd like to see a character who is killing for narratively interesting reasons.

I struggle to make almost anything het lol, but being BxB isn't going to make the game either. It really depends on their chemistry. The character bios aren't enough to really form an opinion on either at the moment.

4. My current (nitpick-y) title concern is, do you read it as "the flower" and "bone movement" (wrong) or the "flower and bone" movement (right)?

I clicked the thread because the title was very different actually! But at the same time it reads a bit clunkily. If the story is about matyrdom and music, maybe a simpler title of "Martyr's Melody" might work? However it may give the wrong impression of the tone of your game

I'm allergic to a lot of the STILL-popularized BxB tropes of "seme" and "uke" and if you know those terms the terrible heteronormative BS luggage that goes with it.

(RPG)

I don't mind that in terms of combat actually there aren't many game mechanics mentioned here, but bosses are, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I actually want to to ask if your mechanic is inspired by Baten Kaitos or if it's a coincidence? Or are we going to be like Chara*?
*Spoilers intrinsic to name, do not google if you do not know who Chara is.

Other than that, I really like to see games' narratives addressed in different ways, so it'll be interesting to see where you go with this if I'm understanding it correctly.

(Meta)

I think some hard lines should be drawn about how "our" world mingles with this other world since it can mostly go in these directions:

-Sabotage: We are ignorant of this world, our lack of knowledge hinders our ability to give meaningful advice in a world where the rules may be radically different culturally and socially. What we may think as kind or logical may in fact spark conflict for Celo and make his journey difficulty if not outright doomed for failure.

-Impartiality: Our lack of commitment and physical stakes** in this world makes us the best impartial judge and giver of advice for Celo. The player is already leaning towards being benevolent towards Celo since the most tangible reward for doing so is for Celo's happiness.

-Destiny/Obligated: Our calling is utterly random and arbitrary, the prophecy for the hero is a given, the myth of a summoned advice giver is just as unquestioned.

**There is no mention of physical presence of player character, you may want to detail what's in it for "us" since the nature of the calling is not entirely clear (did we "respond" or were we pulled)

Definitely no text parser, that's a fast track to frustration and pace-killing.

As for choices, I think I need more clarity in terms of what direction you're taking the meta. But in general the choices should be meaningful to character or plot progress in terms of revealing more details or moving the plot forward. The occasional light-hearted question/answer is nice but if you're going for dramatic it's best to be restrained with it. I mean the inevitable escalation is towards fighting a somewhat textbook genocidal monster.

Other/Nitpicks
-Psychokinesis implies a sort of sci-fi tint to things and in what sounds like a fantasy setting, tends to stick out (however your fantasy setting might be visually different enough that this doesn't seem out of place)

The way the magic is described seems more like a talent, technique or skill, not necessarily purely mind-based it also might contradict the definition when concerned with touch-kinesis?

I'm actually very curious about touch-kinesis, do they feel around for the threads, is it a particular discipline only applicable to certain magic? I'm also not sure how a symbol equates to sight-kinesis since is it the symbol itself that holds power or the person that perceives it? eg: Is touch-kinesis limited to movement of other objects (and maybe of the self) despite weight or strength like a pull? Does sound-kinesis lend itself to manipulation of those who hear it/are touched by the sound waves like how waves can distort matter? Is flavor-kinesis more of a utility such as how to find things? Or is strictly a matter of universal threads for universal purpose?

However these are more abstract concepts of magic which is likely what lends itself to what it's something that probably needs to be learned and honed to be utilized. It's also entirely possible I'm not understanding your magic system correctly or am examining it far too deeply.

By the same token, I'm curious how Crosida without any magic is carrying out her genocide, is it with technology? It's not uncommon for someone charismatic to still lead this campaign but she'll need some good chops to pull it off.

Anyway, that was super long, I hope those are productive comments and if you want to discuss anything things in PMs, that is fine since I know how it feels to not want to spoil anything. And if I misunderstood something, please correct me, really looking forward to see where you go with this project!

fmjaye
Regular

#9 Post by fmjaye »

blankd wrote:Hiya! Your thread and the idea caught my eye so here's some questions/feedback/thoughts!
Wow~! *w* Thank you! I really appreciate all the feedback! I won't get too into things since a lot has changed with the story.

Meta: The meta is not that meta... orz Teselle knows that the player is experiencing events as a video game, but she doesn't know about the culture around that. Because the underworld and overworld connect, other universes aren't too crazy of a concept. Teselle specializes in seeing into other places. It's not something many people can do, and seeing into other worlds isn't particularly useful. In general, people are aware of the possibility and some are more interested than others.

Celo & Morian: Morian just kills people because it's his job orz And because of his… tragic backstory (dun dun dun DUUUN). It's hard to outline a relationship, so I can't say much about them yet since I don't know much about them yet. |D; By question 3.5 I actually meant does knowing which characters end up together affect your interest in the game?

Ahh... I've never heard of Baten Kaitos. ;w;; What's the mechanic you're referring to?

Choices: The tone is actually pretty light in general. Like a fun adventure type thing. (Except when it isn't~)
Since the character you’re playing as is you, I’m hoping to make choices so that there’s at least something that feels like a natural answer at all times. Ideally the player would never think “I can’t imagine myself saying any of these things”. Maybe that won’t matter so much since in visual novels (in my experience) you’re more often asking yourself “will saying this get me the route I want”...

Kinesis: The types (touch, sight, flavour, sound) are a kinesist’s medium. Like a sound could give you chills up your spine, and so could having someone lightly touch the back of your neck. An example; one character who uses flavour kinesis owns a brewery, and they have a bunch of limited edition casks. Anyone who drinks that beer will believe the character in question is the coolest person ever. The kinesis takes what's already there and manipulates it into having a specific effect, so the beer needs to be the kind of thing that would make someone go “the guy who made this must be pretty cool”. Someone even better at kinesis could do that with the worst beer ever, but of course it's easier when you have good tools.

---

UPDATE!
- The aforementioned con is the first weekend of July, so I'll have a proper thread for FBM up around mid-July.
- Pictures!! :^D
Attachments
Sevill outfit development
Sevill outfit development
Sevill (left) & Lance (right)
Sevill (left) & Lance (right)
Vesica development
Vesica development
Celo
Celo
Celo outfit development
Celo outfit development
Sevill outfit development (guest starring Celo on the left)
Sevill outfit development (guest starring Celo on the left)
Image Image

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#10 Post by blankd »

fmjaye wrote:Meta: The meta is not that meta... orz Teselle knows that the player is experiencing events as a video game, but she doesn't know about the culture around that. Because the underworld and overworld connect, other universes aren't too crazy of a concept. Teselle specializes in seeing into other places. It's not something many people can do, and seeing into other worlds isn't particularly useful. In general, people are aware of the possibility and some are more interested than others.
If that is the extent of it, it may be best to be very clear about that since some people's imaginations may run wild and get disappointed.
fmjaye wrote:Celo & Morian: Morian just kills people because it's his job orz And because of his… tragic backstory (dun dun dun DUUUN). It's hard to outline a relationship, so I can't say much about them yet since I don't know much about them yet. |D; By question 3.5 I actually meant does knowing which characters end up together affect your interest in the game?
It's a bit of a chicken-egg scenario since I don't have a strong grasp of either character. Personally, I'm neutral until more details.
fmjaye wrote:Ahh... I've never heard of Baten Kaitos. ;w;; What's the mechanic you're referring to?
In the game you the player are a visitor from another world (a "Guardian Spirit"), your choices can affect an in-game mechanic such as tipping the RNG in your favor*. You do not really have a physical form but are a presence that stays with the main character.

*The battle mechanics were card-based actions, so tipping the favor of the RNG would be you get health/healing cards when you really need it or trigger the appearance of a special attack making your combo.

The player's role is generally not one that drastically changes the story but the overall nudge is to lead the party to a favorable end. In-game this spirit is generally respected and given plot importance as for why the party can interact with (plot) magic.

It's up to you if you want to research more into it, but if you're familiar with the LP archives there is a fairly thorough LP of both Baten Kaitos games. (A minor note that it is a screenshot LP and that I think they inject some of their own commentary in italics)
fmjaye wrote:Choices: The tone is actually pretty light in general. Like a fun adventure type thing. (Except when it isn't~)
Since the character you’re playing as is you, I’m hoping to make choices so that there’s at least something that feels like a natural answer at all times. Ideally the player would never think “I can’t imagine myself saying any of these things”. Maybe that won’t matter so much since in visual novels (in my experience) you’re more often asking yourself “will saying this get me the route I want”...
In general a rule of 3 is good, but overall there should be a semblance of logic to it since doing the "plot stupid" option is often the most infuriating. You may not be able to catch everyone's choice in a menu but so long as a sensible option is present most people will be fine with it.
fmjaye wrote:Kinesis: The types (touch, sight, flavour, sound) are a kinesist’s medium. Like a sound could give you chills up your spine, and so could having someone lightly touch the back of your neck. An example; one character who uses flavour kinesis owns a brewery, and they have a bunch of limited edition casks. Anyone who drinks that beer will believe the character in question is the coolest person ever. The kinesis takes what's already there and manipulates it into having a specific effect, so the beer needs to be the kind of thing that would make someone go “the guy who made this must be pretty cool”. Someone even better at kinesis could do that with the worst beer ever, but of course it's easier when you have good tools.
You may want to put this as your explanation instead of the previous one 8V.