Candy-Coated Affection [VNRPG][Romance][GxG|GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lord Dragon
Regular
Projects: Trappy
Tumblr: lorddragonshenanigans

Candy-Coated Affection [VNRPG][Romance][GxG|GxB]

#1 Post by Lord Dragon »

Working Logo

Finally, you’ve moved from the Mainland and you’ve finished the first day of school. You get back home and find that there’s something strange in your room.
A lightly glowing figure seems to be slowly falling off the top of your bookshelf! You quickly instinctively catch it and it wakes up. The figure seems to be a really soft fluff ball with cute eyes.

“Candy. This candy. Peach candy. Love candy.”

It stares at you, smiles, hops away and disappears from your sight.

Candy.

You notice there is a piece of peach candy in your hand.

Who is this for? Why did it give it to you?

It’s your very own romance story. Candy-Coated Affection. Coming soon to cinemas near you!

Wait, this is a game. What am I talking about?

~ Rii; Game Developer - Caffeinated Bunny Studios

Completely inaccurate ~ Dragon

Sprites are coming soon~

Main Characters

The Player
That's you!
'You' Will have a completely customisable name (max of 16 characters).
In addition, you will be able to customise your character, from skin tone, hairstyle and eye colour. We'll have a lovely range of option to choose from.

Avalible Skin Tones updates on Page 2

Sierra
The Player's Physics Tutor.
She's rather serious when she's working but she's a real cutie.

Charlie
The Player's childhood friend before they left for the mainland. She's an energetic individual and your typical tomboy. Charlie is one of two daughters and a total of four siblings to a traditional martial arts family.

Rosa
A sweet and poised young lady who is talented in ballet and art.

Max
He seems aloof.

Sebastian
He's pretty but he's a huge flirt.

Alphonse
Also a new student to the school, Al is a sweet yet rather quiet boy.

Minor Characters
Kandiii
It's a ball of fluff, with eyes. Kandii Appears at the-the beginning of your adventure to aid you with your coming trails in love.

The Player's Brother
The Player's older brother

Names are under construction

Sleepover
Invite your friends or possible partners for a sleepover, have some fun or even have a heart racing moment!

DanCey
Dance to the beat of the song, follow the prompts and dance away.

Maid Cafe
Manage the cafe floor and ensure your customers get their food~

Features
Custom Name
Dynamic Character Creation
Stat-Raising
Mini-games
Over 12 planned endings
Unlockable Side Stories
6 Pursuable characters [3 Male and 3 Female]
8 Unique events per pursuable character
Visual Novel Role Playing Game [VNRPG]

Team - Caffeinated Bunny Studios
Programmer/Game Developer: Rii
Sprite, CG, Pixel, UI and Mini-game Artist: Lord Dragon
Background Artist and Script Writer: Beholder
Writer: Serenity
Minigame and Freeplay Designer: TheMarshmalloo
Last edited by Lord Dragon on Fri May 06, 2016 4:48 am, edited 32 times in total.

Rii
Projects: Candy-Coated Affection VNRPG
Tumblr: caffeinatedbunnystudios

Re: Candy-Coated Affection [Romance|Stat-Raising][VNRPG][GxG

#2 Post by Rii »

Hi! It seems like you have taken an interest into our game!
If you want to see our game develop in the way you will love most, please give us feedback with the questions below and any more comments you wish to add!

1. Are you interested to play this game?
2. If so, what makes you consider to play this game?
3. Does the arts look appealing to you?
4. Which character stand out to you the most?
5. Are there any features you would like to see this game have?
6. If you have any question or criticism you are most welcome!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think!
Last edited by Rii on Mon May 02, 2016 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Dragon
Regular

Re: Candy-Coated Affection [VNRPG][Romance][GxG|GxB]

#3 Post by Lord Dragon »

Current Status

Writing
Prologue - 100%
Events 1 - 0%
Events 2 - 0%
Events 3 - 0%
Events 4 - 0%
Events 5 - 0%
Events 6 - 0%
Events 7 - 0%
Events 8 - 0%

Art

Sprites - 5%
Minigame Art - 0%
Backgrounds - 0%
RPG pixel art - 5%
GUI - 5%
CG - 0%

Sound
Sountrack - 0% (Still looking for composer)

Programming
Features - 85%
Prologue - 30%
UI and Menus - 70%
UI is at 90%
Menu is at 50%

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I'm not sure I can give a great picture of my opinions here, but I like what I see so far. There isn't an awful lot for me to judge by right now, but it seems pretty interesting.

I'm a sucker for otome games with male and female love interests, so that's one of the things that drew me in immediately. owo

I like the logo a lot - simple but elegant. If your game is going to be more cutesy, though, you might want to make some more drastic changes to it. (Small nitpick, but I would suggest capitalizing 'coated,' for aesthetics and for grammar.)

I'm pretty curious about the older brother. More specifically, I would like it if he had a larger part in at least a few of the routes; I feel like siblings are often pushed to the wayside in games with romance routes, but there can be some really good character development to be had when siblings are put in a scene together. Plus, I feel like he should at least have a name.

You certainly have a lot of planned features, and they all sound VERY exciting (especially those unlockable side stories!) but it seems like they'll add a lot on to your workload, so if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to make sure that you have the resources to implement all of the ideas. Also, side note, you'll want to be careful with the stat-raising being grindy. A lot of people don't like that. Since your VN is planned to be a VNRPG, you've got a little wiggle room, but there's always a point where a player will grow bored by selecting the same action over and over and reading the same text over and over.

Overall, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on this project but I think it does have potential c: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Lord Dragon
Regular

#5 Post by Lord Dragon »

Zelan wrote:I'm not sure I can give a great picture of my opinions here, but I like what I see so far. There isn't an awful lot for me to judge by right now, but it seems pretty interesting.

I'm a sucker for otome games with male and female love interests, so that's one of the things that drew me in immediately. owo

I like the logo a lot - simple but elegant. If your game is going to be more cutesy, though, you might want to make some more drastic changes to it. (Small nitpick, but I would suggest capitalizing 'coated,' for aesthetics and for grammar.)

I'm pretty curious about the older brother. More specifically, I would like it if he had a larger part in at least a few of the routes; I feel like siblings are often pushed to the wayside in games with romance routes, but there can be some really good character development to be had when siblings are put in a scene together. Plus, I feel like he should at least have a name.

You certainly have a lot of planned features, and they all sound VERY exciting (especially those unlockable side stories!) but it seems like they'll add a lot on to your workload, so if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to make sure that you have the resources to implement all of the ideas. Also, side note, you'll want to be careful with the stat-raising being grindy. A lot of people don't like that. Since your VN is planned to be a VNRPG, you've got a little wiggle room, but there's always a point where a player will grow bored by selecting the same action over and over and reading the same text over and over.

Overall, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on this project but I think it does have potential c: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I took your suggestion for the capitalised 'C' in 'coated', Rii liked it so I've changed it now~

Yup, the game being grindy is a bit of a worry too, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get too it, it's planned out to be a pretty long game at this point. Our current obstacle is finding a composer. The features it's have been planned based on our current skill set ( I believe, honestly it's mostly Rii's doing).

Rii

#6 Post by Rii »

Zelan wrote:I'm not sure I can give a great picture of my opinions here, but I like what I see so far. There isn't an awful lot for me to judge by right now, but it seems pretty interesting.

First and foremost, thank you for your response!

Regarding the matter with the older brother, he will definitely have a bigger role as a side character and have a name (we just haven't came up with as of yet, suggestions? hahaha) but there probably won't be a massive focus on him. If all things go well, we've thought of making another game specifically for his love life!

All the features planned will be implemented slowly but surely! At first, we intend to focus on the main story line (unless I'm free between the main story development) then I'll develop the mini-games as they are the stat-raising events which go alongside side quests and daily activities (like making toast). The stats mainly only assist with the difficulty of "capturing" the love interests' hearts and possibly some other things which may develop as we continue to progress with our game!

Once again, thank you for your response and we hope we don't let you down! c;

PS. FOR ONLY A $9.99 MICROTRANSACTION YOU CAN UNLOCK AN AMAZING SIDESTORY! hahahaha No, we don't ever intend to do that. c: I hope you have a nice day!

Rii

#7 Post by Rii »

Progress Update

We have updated some of the tiles thanks to our amazing artist Lord Dragon and the prologue is going along with great progress!~ More screenshots of that coming soon!

For now, please check out our new tiles!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

Wow, I didn't expect you guys to change the logo that quickly! Glad you liked my suggestion, hehe. c:

I was never great at naming characters either. cx Umm... Jack. Yes. That's my suggestion. please don't use it I'm sure there's something better A serious suggestion - if you're planning to have him be a main character in his own game, maybe start thinking about what the story of that game is and what name would fit into it. Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, though. :P

A toast-making minigame only makes me think of that Dumb Ways To Die mobile game, where you had to safely get the toast out with a fork. cx

Also those tiles are lovely :o Nice job with those!

Best of luck to the two of you! c: My one last tip (based on what I've seen other developers do): set yourself deadlines so that you make good progress, but don't beat yourself up if you can't always meet them.

Rii

#9 Post by Rii »

Zelan wrote:Wow, I didn't expect you guys to change the logo that quickly! Glad you liked my suggestion, hehe. c:

I was never great at naming characters either. cx Umm... Jack. Yes. That's my suggestion. please don't use it I'm sure there's something better A serious suggestion - if you're planning to have him be a main character in his own game, maybe start thinking about what the story of that game is and what name would fit into it. Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, though. :P

A toast-making minigame only makes me think of that Dumb Ways To Die mobile game, where you had to safely get the toast out with a fork. cx

Also those tiles are lovely :o Nice job with those!

Best of luck to the two of you! c: My one last tip (based on what I've seen other developers do): set yourself deadlines so that you make good progress, but don't beat yourself up if you can't always meet them.
Thanks for the support! I've designed a Gantt Chart for everyone to refer to and we've already gone past the deadline once for the prologue as I hadn't expected it to take this long!

Also, if you have time, I've designed a website and hosted it using Tumblr and codotvu so please check it out and give feedback on the design (if that's allowed in these forums). However, all the information there should be the same as the information here so don't worry about trying to read it all if you don't want to!

http://caffeinatedbunny.co.vu/

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Zelan »

I'm not a web design expert, but I'll give you my personal opinions, anyway. c: I'm going to refer a lot to this website to compare yours with (since I think this is a good one). This is a website for a single game rather than an entire studio, but the principles are the same.

First of all, oh man is that logo adorable or what owo I might have put the bunny on the mug instead, but then of course you'd have to put the words somewhere else or else make them smaller. Regardless, it's unique and attractive, and I think it looks good right at the top of the website.

The pastel color scheme fits the theme of your studio and your game very well - cute and sweet. You'll notice that the colors of Idol Manager's website are all whites and blues - again, it fits, since that game is a business sim (businesslike, professional colors) with darker themes (dark colors). In short, you definitely made a good choice in colors, but I would keep theming in mind for the future if you ever make another game with a different theme - you'll want to adjust your colors to better fit the theme if need be.

A little bit about the quick links at the top - they look cute (which matches your theme! love that coffee mug <3). Something I might suggest is having the transitions be smoother (notice how they work for Idol Manager's website), but I'm sure that takes all sorts of fancy programming that I wouldn't understand so it's not extremely important if you aren't sure how to do it. The most important thing is that they function properly. (The "back to top" buttons are also super nice - something that Idol Manager's site didn't include which I think would have been really nice. Good on you for including something cool that they didn't! owo)

The About Us section is nice and simple (as it should be - it would even be okay if you guys all put a sentence or two about yourselves, but no one will go to that website wanting to read your life's story). I would suggest adding links of other places that you guys can be found, e.g. Lemmasoft, Twitter, Tumblr, other social media, but only if you guys have those things and are comfortable sharing them. This is useful if any potential players want to get in touch with you - especially since they might have feedback, suggestions, or even something to offer you such as publicity.

Concerning the blog section - I'm not sure how much I like the tiny boxes, but I think that's a Tumblr thing? So you don't have control over it? If you take a look at the blog posts on Idol Manager's website, you'll notice that they're a lot longer, which is how I personally like them - big updates. However, there are a lot of people who like lots of little updates instead so that they can see the day-to-day progress. My suggestion here would be that you continue using the format of small little posts that show quick updates, but then every once in a while (maybe once a month) have someone write a longer post that summarizes all of the progress that's been made since the last big update, just to have it all condensed into one. This way, you appeal both to people who like lots of small updates and people who like big, exciting updates. I'm not sure if this is realistic since I've never run any sort of blog before, but if you think it sounds like it makes sense and would be easy to manage, go for it. c: I do also like the diagonal header at the top of the blog page - a little quirky, not overly eye-catching.

Something that I might add is something like a gallery to show images from the game. I know that you don't have many yet, but art is one of the first things people will look at in a concept for a game, especially a visual novel. Idol Manager has a screenshot section. Since your game isn't too far along yet, I'm sure there aren't many screenshots to show, but I noticed that the headshot of Charlie (which looks super cool, by the way) is nowhere to be found on the website. I think a gallery where you can post finished concept and game artwork would be a good idea - you don't have to include everything, of course, but some teasers would be good.

And I think that's it. cx Sorry that this turned out so long. Feel free to ask if anything didn't make sense, I'm not always great at explaining what I'm thinking.

Rii

#11 Post by Rii »

Zelan wrote:I'm not a web design expert, but I'll give you my personal opinions, anyway. c: I'm going to refer a lot to this website to compare yours with (since I think this is a good one). This is a website for a single game rather than an entire studio, but the principles are the same.

First of all, oh man is that logo adorable or what owo I might have put the bunny on the mug instead, but then of course you'd have to put the words somewhere else or else make them smaller. Regardless, it's unique and attractive, and I think it looks good right at the top of the website.

The pastel color scheme fits the theme of your studio and your game very well - cute and sweet. You'll notice that the colors of Idol Manager's website are all whites and blues - again, it fits, since that game is a business sim (businesslike, professional colors) with darker themes (dark colors). In short, you definitely made a good choice in colors, but I would keep theming in mind for the future if you ever make another game with a different theme - you'll want to adjust your colors to better fit the theme if need be.

A little bit about the quick links at the top - they look cute (which matches your theme! love that coffee mug <3). Something I might suggest is having the transitions be smoother (notice how they work for Idol Manager's website), but I'm sure that takes all sorts of fancy programming that I wouldn't understand so it's not extremely important if you aren't sure how to do it. The most important thing is that they function properly. (The "back to top" buttons are also super nice - something that Idol Manager's site didn't include which I think would have been really nice. Good on you for including something cool that they didn't! owo)

The About Us section is nice and simple (as it should be - it would even be okay if you guys all put a sentence or two about yourselves, but no one will go to that website wanting to read your life's story). I would suggest adding links of other places that you guys can be found, e.g. Lemmasoft, Twitter, Tumblr, other social media, but only if you guys have those things and are comfortable sharing them. This is useful if any potential players want to get in touch with you - especially since they might have feedback, suggestions, or even something to offer you such as publicity.

Concerning the blog section - I'm not sure how much I like the tiny boxes, but I think that's a Tumblr thing? So you don't have control over it? If you take a look at the blog posts on Idol Manager's website, you'll notice that they're a lot longer, which is how I personally like them - big updates. However, there are a lot of people who like lots of little updates instead so that they can see the day-to-day progress. My suggestion here would be that you continue using the format of small little posts that show quick updates, but then every once in a while (maybe once a month) have someone write a longer post that summarizes all of the progress that's been made since the last big update, just to have it all condensed into one. This way, you appeal both to people who like lots of small updates and people who like big, exciting updates. I'm not sure if this is realistic since I've never run any sort of blog before, but if you think it sounds like it makes sense and would be easy to manage, go for it. c: I do also like the diagonal header at the top of the blog page - a little quirky, not overly eye-catching.

Something that I might add is something like a gallery to show images from the game. I know that you don't have many yet, but art is one of the first things people will look at in a concept for a game, especially a visual novel. Idol Manager has a screenshot section. Since your game isn't too far along yet, I'm sure there aren't many screenshots to show, but I noticed that the headshot of Charlie (which looks super cool, by the way) is nowhere to be found on the website. I think a gallery where you can post finished concept and game artwork would be a good idea - you don't have to include everything, of course, but some teasers would be good.

And I think that's it. cx Sorry that this turned out so long. Feel free to ask if anything didn't make sense, I'm not always great at explaining what I'm thinking.
hahaha Feedback is never too long! I love the fact that you take your time to give your honest review of how everything is going!

I've now made the links have a smooth scroll to the section and I'll try to get a short biography for the "about us" section from the team! We'll take your advice with having minor and major update styles on our blog as I agree with what you're saying! Also, about the post size (I think you were referring to this) I was the one which designed the theme from scratch so I've made it slightly larger and I really like it!

The gallery will be added later as right now, we don't have many pictures - like you said - but I'll need to implement the feature sooner or later so hope to see it soon!

~Rii; Game Developer - Caffeinated Bunny Studios

Rii

#12 Post by Rii »

Progress Update

Working on the prologue with multiple choices to assist with starting off the adventure with the RPG aspect and toasty romance!

Some toasty options~ c;
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Caffeinated Bunny Studios
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan »

I'm glad you don't mind all of my suggestions owo The site looks great!

Also, the text box is very pretty! :D Butter all the way, haha.

Lord Dragon
Regular

#14 Post by Lord Dragon »

Zelan wrote:I'm glad you don't mind all of my suggestions owo The site looks great!

Ah although the text box might look nice, I'm probably going to completely redesign it again to fit the rest of the UI better. At this current point I'm not happy with it.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Zelan »

Lord Dragon wrote:
Zelan wrote:I'm glad you don't mind all of my suggestions owo The site looks great!

Ah although the text box might look nice, I'm probably going to completely redesign it again to fit the rest of the UI better. At this current point I'm not happy with it.
I get what you mean - pretty UI doesn't mean anything if it doesn't fit with everything else. Keep that one in your back pocket, though - it might be useful for another project further down the road.