Bog-My Nightmare

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
YourGeekGoddess
Regular
Projects: Bog
Deviantart: YourGeekGoddess
Soundcloud: YourGeekGoddess

Bog-My Nightmare

#1 Post by YourGeekGoddess »

Hi everyone! I'm pleased to announce that project Bog is underway! This story is actually based on a nightmare I had a few years ago, but the story is actually mostly pleasant- oblivious to danger, even.

Synopsis: Our heroine Lily is engaged to be wed to the powerful Julius Von Mugwort, as per her people's customs in the bog. Impulsively, she leaves him at the alter and breaks for the outside world.

"Humans are nice, right?"

The story takes place over approximately five days, focusing on Lily's new life as Aura. Discover the simple things- the most beautiful.

Characters (in no particular order):
Lily/ Aura
15/f- main
Aura is a rowdy and free spirit. She is a child who lives on impulse. People have a hard time keeping up with her, which makes Aura lonelier than she'd ever admit. Aura is flora, which means she needs protection to survive in the Bog. But what of the outside?

Julius Von Mugwort
(?)/m- primary antagonist
No one knows his date of birth or when he rose to power and popularity. Julius is sociable, wealthy, and influential- every girl's dream. Julius was betrothed to young Aura, and will do anything to get her back alive.

Anthur Von Mugwort:
18/m- minor antagonist/ possible bachelor

Julius' son. Sent to trail Aura after her escape. He has his own agenda.

Elliot:
13/m-main role/ possible bachelor
Lyles' son. He is very smart, and he knows it. His condescending boorish commentary can be frustrating, but he just likes to tease. Elliot thinks one way and acts another. Very spoiled prince type, for such humble beginnings.

Oliver:
16/m-main role/possible bachelor
Oliver is the young general storekeeper in town. He and aura have a surprising connection. Kind, passive, and hardworking.

Mint:
30/f-minor role
Mint is Aura's benevolent altruistic mother. She wants only the best, but does not see eye-to-eye with Aura. The very manifestation of femininity.

Willow:
forever25/f-minor role
Mint's sister. Trend savvy, assertive, and loud. She ages like fine wine, but she'll always tell you she's 25.

Lyles:
46/m- minor role

Lyles is the innkeeper of the town Aura stumbles on. He is a hearty and generous man.

So...

The script for this is a fifth done, minus edits. I have clear visuals for most characters, but I am seeking artist collaboration as I can do little more than the sketches you see here.
Originally, this was to be a linear kinetic novel, as I wanted a simple quick project. However, I am playing with the idea of branches. I feel the kn approach would better capture the nightmare effect I intended, as it was something I wished I could’ve escaped. The original idea has a “bad” end and a bad end only, but, I think it to be quite flavorsome. So I guess the question I have for the community is: do you like bad endings if executed well, or do they leave you wanting more?

Anyone who is interested in helping with Bog may offer their contributions, but I’m uncertain as to whether it’ll go the commercial route or not. This means all help will be voluntary, unless I do end up selling the completed work. Otherwise, I can offer writing or voice acting services on your projects as a trade.
Well everyone please tell me what you think! ^^
Attachments
Bog logo design courtesy of user Anne:<br />https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=20659
Bog logo design courtesy of user Anne:
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20659
bog logolembanner.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Last edited by YourGeekGoddess on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YourGeekGoddess
Regular

Re: Bog-My Nightmare

#2 Post by YourGeekGoddess »

UPDATE: found an artist! c:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

YourGeekGoddess wrote: Originally, this was to be a linear kinetic novel, as I wanted a simple quick project. However, I am playing with the idea of branches. I feel the kn approach would better capture the nightmare effect I intended, as it was something I wished I could’ve escaped.
If you want to create choices and perhaps also multiple endings, that's okay. However, if you would rather not, then that's also okay.
YourGeekGoddess wrote: So I guess the question I have for the community is: do you like bad endings if executed well, or do they leave you wanting more?
Bad endings can be fine. Sometimes it's appropriate for a story to end with the main character being defeated or not getting what they want. Consider what your goals for the story are. Do you want people to see this as a tragedy? Do you want people to consider this a horror story?

YourGeekGoddess
Regular

#4 Post by YourGeekGoddess »

gekiganwing wrote:
YourGeekGoddess wrote: Originally, this was to be a linear kinetic novel, as I wanted a simple quick project. However, I am playing with the idea of branches. I feel the kn approach would better capture the nightmare effect I intended, as it was something I wished I could’ve escaped.
If you want to create choices and perhaps also multiple endings, that's okay. However, if you would rather not, then that's also okay.
YourGeekGoddess wrote: So I guess the question I have for the community is: do you like bad endings if executed well, or do they leave you wanting more?
Bad endings can be fine. Sometimes it's appropriate for a story to end with the main character being defeated or not getting what they want. Consider what your goals for the story are. Do you want people to see this as a tragedy? Do you want people to consider this a horror story?

You've made some good points. Thank you for your input! c: