A Whisper From The Ivory Walls [BXB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
SynisterSyrup

A Whisper From The Ivory Walls [BXB]

#1 Post by SynisterSyrup »

Currently under the working title "A Whisper From The Ivory Walls".
Psychological/Horror/Romance
[BXB]
KN (at this given point in time)

I just want to make it clear that this is not an idea for a dating sim. It will either be kinetic or have branching pathways
that will explore different scenarios. The ending will always remain the same, as I am already quite happy
with the ending I've outlined.

I have nothing against dating sims, as that’s the typical BL scene anyway, I just feel that the genre tends to severely limit itself in one way or another incorporating too many characters. Either the characters’ relationships are severally superficial and the plot overshadows all else, or the plot is just an excuse for guysxguys relationships. Maybe I’m being greedy here, but I want the best of both worlds.

I’m a character connoisseur if you will. Character development is the song of my people. Therefore, this VN’s theme heavily centers around a character who will be making a transformation throughout the story. (into a beautiful butterfly! --- read that in a German accent please)(A Bug’s Life *cough* *cough*)

Teaser:

(Just for teaser purposes. This is not the POV you will be seeing in the actual VN. The actual POV will be in 1st person. All is subject to change at this point)

Staying a week at his family’s summer home, a large mansion passed down through the generations, Clay begins to come to focus on the truth of the matter. He’s unwittingly become a family burden. It’s not all doom and gloom though, as the mansion sparks a hazy fond memory out from the depths of it’s old dusty halls, lined tight with rows of old Earls from the past. It was a childhood memory, back in the days when he wasn’t afraid of his own shadow. It was a memory from a day when he had the nerve to look a person in the eye and not break out into a sweaty mess, or panic until he couldn’t breath anymore.

Old men with strong stern faces, lined the walls with their piercing eyes, and their clean cut hair, and their perfect postures. How strange. Was the hallway never ending? No matter which way he turned, it was corridor after corridor of upturned noses. The portraits seemed to glare now, they're eyes, all downcast on Clay's shivering back. Coming upon a a dead end, shivering and nearly at his wits end, he falls to the floor, unable to bare the now horrifically twisted features lacing across the portrait faces. But just as hope was lost, hope was restored. “No need to be afraid of them.” A strong and regal voice rung inside Clay’s head. “You can open your eyes now, Clay.” Upon hearing his name, Clay opened his eyes, surprised to find the once stern faces of the past painted over with forced smiles and eyes sewn shut. That was when a sheet white man approached from out of the darkness. He was like a statue of ivory. Approached by the strange man, Clay found it really strange that he could not look away, nor did the man's presence bother him. "Should I change the decorations a little?" At that moment a large stone door rumbled into existence. It was heavily engraved from top to bottom, and as the man approached it, he suddenly stopped mid-stride, almost as if he had just remembered Clay's presence. Turning towards Clay, he extended a an open palm, inviting him into the unknown.

I will say early on that there are "2" love interests. First there's Ivory and then there's James. James' relationship will build slowly since Clay is a character who suffers from social anxiety, but believe me, James is totally worth the wait... (Haha, obviously I would say that since he’s my baby and all, but srsly. (stone face))

Characters:

Image Image

Clay
Clay is an anxious guy. He's one big anxious mess of goo when it comes to people. His own shadow would illicit a jump of giddiness if he didn't know it was his own. Thank goodness he's got some fond childhood memories of James, or he'd be running for the hills. He's somewhat of a blank slate when it comes to hobbies, but he has a natural curiosity for strange and creepy things, making him a natural investigator. Although Clay would weep like a little baby in front of a crowd, he's not afraid of the unknown and has a high tolerance for creepy things, considering them either 'interesting' or 'cute'. It's not really the typical reaction you would have when faced with creepy crawlers on your skin or walking eyeballs tugging at your feet. It's just not.

James
So let me just indulge you guys on who James is: (favoritism alert)
James is that weird anime nerd that everyone makes fun of at school. He’s not shy about his hobbies, and it’s painfully obvious when he first opens the mansion doors to the arrival of Clay, dressed up as the butler from Black Butler. Clay is totally oblivious to anime though, and has no idea that James is not an actual butler in the beginning, but what is more correctly referred to as a raging otaku. When Clay first starts to open up to James, James finds it an appropriate opportunity to rob Clay of his anime virginity, and starts a marathon of his most treasured series. And, although he seems to be all fluff on the outside, he has his fair share of problems, just like everyone else in this world.
(Once I get through Clay's route, I may go back and re-write the story from James' POV, since there's a lot I can actually do with it.)

Ivory
Ivory, is the mystery this story revolves around. Ivory claims he's a portrait that's been painted over and he want's Clay to investigate the reason behind his defacement. Little is known about Ivory, but the most riveting trait about him is that Clay feels completely at ease around Ivory despite his immense social phobic nature. Naturally, Clay develops a longing to be by his side.

Opinions?

If anyone has any opinions, complaints, interests, feel free to let me know. I am all ears.

SynisterSyrup

Re: A Whisper From The Ivory Walls [BXB]

#2 Post by SynisterSyrup »

Major Update: So, I've had a few days to think more on plot, replay-ability, and characters. In the end, I came to the conclusion that what I was writing was not what I had initially envisioned for this project. Long story short, all of the original cast were scraped, or maybe I should say, remodeled. I will start to rebuild my original post at a later date, once I have more time. I'm currently taking a brutal summer course and I honestly have 2 tests every week. ;3; I do want to say though, that this is no longer a VN project, it will be built in RPG Maker and will follow more closely to its original inspiration: Ib. I also regret to inform BxB fans that this will no longer encompass any blatant BxB relationships, rather, it will be more up to interpretation on character relationships. That's all for now.