Singe [Southern Gothic][Surrealism][GL]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

Singe [Southern Gothic][Surrealism][GL]

#1 Post by KittyWills »

So been working on this game quite a bit in my spare time. With colder weather on the way I am getting super in the mood. Decided to go ahead and make it super gay. I've been wanting to do a GL and with the Yuri Jam coming up I may use it for that.

I'm really into Southern Gothic and old supernatural radio shows from the 40s. So I've been trying to capture some of that surrealism. Not sure if I'm succeeding but I'm enjoying it so far.

Going to use Unity for the engine. I'm pulling back a lot of the text. (writing is hard guys, how do you do it???) Going to try to hybrid a VN and an Adventure Game. I just need a bit more interaction for my games. Not sure if puzzles will be added, but you will be able to interact with the world.

--
--

Summary

You go into the wood one night to search for your friend who disappeared into those dark trees. Along the way you meet strange ethereal Deer. A ghost? Or a something more? "You only have three nights. Three night and then the one you search for will love the forest more then she loves you." It tells you. Will the woods help or impede you? Are those strange creatures that have been taken by a fire friends or foes. But you must hurry. You must hurry. Something is burning.

Characters

Deer – White and ethereal; with antlers that bend and curve unnaturally. Your guide with unknown intentions.

Barred Owl – Glowing an angry red. She mourns and screams for the death of her children.

Lynx – Burnt and made of charred bones. He tries to put it back together again, but all the pieces are no longer there.

Snake – Black of the soot. It leaves trails of gray everywhere it touches. Is it acceptance or denial his words speaks of?

Aiden – Your Friend. She has been acting so strange lately. Why did she go into the woods?

-

Short, anywhere between 3-6 hours of gameplay.
I want to add endings, but I need to find out how to program that in my engine first.
I would like an CG for each character plus each ending. But it's kinda on the stretch goal list.

-

Outline 50%
Script 5%

-

Writing - Kitty
Code - Kitty
Art - ??? I'm kinda leaning towards a more western style. I don't anime would work super well here.
Music - ??? I would love this thing to have a creepy southern rock style, but we'll see.
Last edited by KittyWills on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

psy_wombats
Regular

Re: Singe [Southern Gothic][Surrealism]

#2 Post by psy_wombats »

Neat! Although when I think "southern gothic" I kind of think more Flannery O'Connor than surrealism.

That's some really interesting use of the second person there. Usually in interactive fiction the narrator in second person isn't a person per se, but it looks like it's the deer character here? Kind of interested how you'll present the story, specifically the dialog.
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

KittyWills
Regular

#3 Post by KittyWills »

Yeah, I'm still playing around with the POV. I'll most likely move it to the MC for the, but my outline jumps around a bit as I work some things out. I like to write my outlines as a prose summary. Tossing notes and possible dialogue as I go.

J-Ray
Regular

#4 Post by J-Ray »

If you don't find your friend - forest will keep her and everyone will forgot her, because time will be re-written... Every time when Forest consume a human being it creates an Essence of Bliss to nourish the Beast, living in the castle on the swamp in the middle of the Forest. To free your friend (and the others) you have to craft Flute of Silence and play in the Forest while you passing through to the Swamp. And then you have to defeat the Beast... The only problem is - why will you do all this if you even don't remember? ;)

Ulalaria
Regular
Completed: Faust: Scene II, Queen At Arms, Rosewater
Projects: The Owl-Woman Oracle
Tumblr: meagantrott

#5 Post by Ulalaria »

Gothic literary tropes, surrealism, and GxG are right up my alley. I hope you move forward with this - it sounds incredible. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

Ulalaria wrote:Gothic literary tropes, surrealism, and GxG are right up my alley. I hope you move forward with this - it sounds incredible. :)
Basically this. I'm bookmarking this thread for when you get back to this. ^_^

Spacefur
Regular
Tumblr: studio-meh

#7 Post by Spacefur »

That sounds super interesting, I like the imagery and the different characters :D

KittyWills
Regular

Re: Singe [Southern Gothic][Surrealism][GL]

#8 Post by KittyWills »

Did some reworking and deciding to make it totally gay and enter it in the upcoming Yuri Jam. I'll make a new thread once the jam starts. =D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

I am 100% down with that. :D I like the sketch for the deer! Reminds me of Harry Potter's Patronus. cx

KittyWills
Regular

#10 Post by KittyWills »

Got the intro outlined and all three endings figured out. The first couple rooms and background are in some concept stages. Not doing to much work and mostly writing for the series bible right now. Once October hits I'll make a new post in the "works in project" forums.

Still debating if I want to do a solo project for jam and get art later or look for an artist now. It would be fun to work with some new peeps. =/

KittyWills
Regular

#11 Post by KittyWills »

Decided to look for some peeps for the jam~ Might be a bit early but tossed a recruit thread up~

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40340