Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning (GxB) [Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning (GxB) [Romance]

#1 Post by Mama J »

update: Guys I really need some input on what you think about this story. Anything helps.
Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning
Type of Game: Otome Visual Novel (GxB)

Synopsis:
Alessandra DiAngelo, 17, is one of the world’s top youngest, successful women. She runs DiAngelo Talent Agency along with her grandfather, Joe, the co-CEO. She inherited the company from her parents after their tragic death 3 years ago and she has done nothing but focus on doing the best she can. And look where it got her. In the will that her parents had left her, it mentioned that, as soon as Alessandra turned 18, she would have full ownership of the company. She is known mostly for ruling the entertainment industry with an iron-fist, not letting gender inequality or sexism stand in her way of success, or treat her less than what she is worth. She is a woman of little failures and great power and has earned the respect and support of her clients, colleagues, and the world. The only thing she has failed in is love. Practically married to her work, Alessandra never put forth the time to secure a relationship and has always pushed away the handful of suitors who were brave enough to pursue something with her.
So, looking forward to more opportunities - as well as her 18th birthday in 3 months - Alessandra prepares for another successful year. However, what she wasn’t prepared for was the arrival of the 5 boys that would change her life forever. In fact, they would be her greatest clients yet. Little did she realize that this would be the toughest year in her career - involving multiple scandals, secrets, romances, controversies, countless tabloids and rumors, and even... deaths. Will she fall apart when she learns about a family secret, hidden for years? Will she be able to lead the boys to success and keep her company afloat? Or will she finally crumble under the pressures of the industry and lose her reputation? Most importantly, will she finally find love?

General Info:
Genre:
-Romance, Comedy, Drama, Slice-of-Life, Suspense
Features:
-Non-commercial
-At least 6 CGs per route + 4 CGs for the Ryatt ship + 2 CG for TRUE ending
-4 unique routes/romanceable characters (all male)
-8 different endings BUT 1 overall TRUE ending
-15+ total characters
-Approx. 50,000+ words
Rating:
-15+
Platforms:
-Win, Mac, Linux

Progress:
Art:
-Sprites: 6.5% (sketches are in progress)
-CG: 0%
-Background: 0%
-GUI: 0%

Story:
-Plot: 100%
-Prologue: 100%
-Route Plots: IN PROGRESS
-Script: 10%
-Endings: 10%

Main Routes: (haven't coded it in yet but the scenes are planned out and ready when needed)
-Aedan Route: 20%
-Logan Route: 5%
-Jonah Route: 5%
-Jace Route: 10%

Characters:
-Character Profiles: 100%
-Character Designs: 100%
-Voices: 0%

Programming:
-Scripting: 10% (being done the same time as script)
-GUI: 0%

Music:
-Theme song: 0%
-Lyrics for Aedan’s songs: 0%
-Background music: 0%

Main Characters:
Alessandra Diangelo:
- The fierce MC/talent agent. Alessandra lost her parents when she was 14, and was suddenly given the keys to run a growing talent empire. She is the complete opposite of sweet and innocent, and could intimidate you with her famous death stare. She’s smart, stubborn, and sometimes sharp-tongued (say that three times fast). Despite her tough exterior, Alessandra genuinely likes to make people happy and is glad she can somehow do that by providing them with opportunities to fulfill their dreams.
Aedan Westwood:
- The bad boy/musician. Alessandra’s estranged childhood friend, Aedan, is your typical dark, brooding, and mysterious. He is reserved and mostly keeps to himself; he may look dangerous but he is one of the few that loves the deepest. When he gets comfortable with someone, he can be the biggest goofball. The thing he likes doing most, however, is to tease people and make them all flustered. (Also, he’s got a British accent and tattoos so what the heck more could you possibly want??)
Reid Westwood:
- The womanizer/dancer. Alessandra’s other estranged childhood friend. Known for his uber flirtatious ways, Reid is everything a girl could want: attractive, confident, and romantic. However, no girl ever could hold his interests. Why? Because he’s gay and proud. He’s a modern-day Don Juan, described as the epitome of seductive. (Think Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl but way more fabulous). Other than that, he’s loyal to the core, and he’s the best person you could go to if you need advice or just a shoulder to cry on. British accent also included.
Jace Kanellis:
- The stud/model. Jace is usually seen as an air-head who only has eyes for himself. This could not be more false. He’s your modern-day Prince Charming, sweeping girls off their feet left and right. He’s charismatic, kind, as humble as can be, and a total romantic. He’s one of those “I enjoy sunsets, and long walks on the beach” types. People think he only became a successful model because of his family name so he plans to work his hardest to prove them wrong.
Jonah Kanellis:
- The nice guy/actor. The phrase, “Nice guys finish last,” is complete BS when it comes to Jonah. He’s fun and exciting - a total adventurer who constantly looks for his next entertaining experience. He’s optimistic, wears his heart on his sleeve, polite, and sensitive. Boring moments and conversations are very rare when spending time with Jonah.
Logan Kanellis:
- The serious/artist. Straightforward and blunt. Wastes no time on irrelevant things. (Party-pooper, tbh). Very passionate and is not afraid to say what needs to be said. He’s ambitious, determined, and a no-nonsense kind of guy. He suffers from bipolar disorder and can have a bit of a temper, but the guy is like an onion. You peel one layer off, there are more under it.
Wyatt Callaghan:
- The nerdy/game developer-designer. Wyatt is 1/2 of Alessandra’s best friends. Best thing she loves about him? He’s fabulously gay, as well. He’s intelligent and incredibly shy, but means everything he says. The guy also has amazing fashion sense, so whenever Alessandra is having an off day, she goes to him. Lastly, he’s a complete klutz, but that provides great moments for *cough cough* Reid *cough* to play hero and catch him.
Maryse Vandeviere:
- The glamorous/fashion designer. The other half that make up Alessandra’s best friends. Even though Maryse has an anxiety disorder, that doesn’t stop her from doing her thing - contributing to the creation of millions of gorgeous clothing and accessories. She’s also an overall sweetheart: owns 3 cats, 2 bunnies, and 1 dog; volunteers at the animal shelter whenever she can; donates 10% of the money she earns to every kind of charity there is; vegan. She’s the definition of good samaritan. She can be a little bit too naive though, which can lead to being easily manipulated but she’s got friends to protect her so no worries.

Minor Characters:
Grandpa Joe:
- The supportive/co-CEO. 77 years YOUNG, Joe is the only close living family member Alessandra has. He’s honestly the cutest grandfather anyone could have.
Christina Westwood:
- The spontaneous/make-up artist. She’s the mom who goes to great lengths to make sure her children find love. When she feels that someone is a good match for her sons, she doesn’t let anyone else get close enough to sabotage her pairing. She’s literally the biggest shipper in the universe.
Benjamin Westwood:
- The introvert/author. Aedan took to his father because Ben has the same personality as his son. Quiet, reserved, loner. The only difference is that he’s a gentle soul with a love for writing stories and listening to jazz music.
Tom Kanellis:
- The stoic/businessman. Tom thinks money leads to happiness, (which is foolish thinking btw) so he spends most of his time working on what he can do to make his business bigger, better, and more successful. He doesn’t spend as much time with his children as a normal dad would so his relationship with them is not close.
Elizabeth Deveraux:
- The stuck-up/t.v. personality. Elizabeth is an egotistical, and self-absorbed reality star. Imagine that one girl in high school who was super spoiled, super rich, super popular, and super mean. For example, Regina George from Mean Girls? Yep. That basically sums up Elizabeth.
Brianna Langley:
- The sweet/comedian. Brianna is basically the kind of person you would want with you if you want to have a good laugh. She has never let fame, money or the pressures of the entertainment industry get to her head. She may be overweight but she’s comfortable in her own skin and she has a lot of self-love. She is a role-model for plus-sized women and likes to spread the message of, “You don’t have to be skinny to feel beautiful.”
Isabella Rhodes:
- The brave/transgender spokesperson. Isabella was Ian before she realized her true identity. She pays no attention to the criticisms and hate of close-minded people. In fact, she’s too busy speaking to and inspiring others, and the LGBTQ community about being transgender. Her cause is to get the world to be more caring, to stop judging others for being different, and spread love.

Recruitments:
*Positions that I don’t plan to start recruiting until the entire writing part or script of the story + art is finished

Co-Writers -
:arrow: Tracy Bullet
:arrow: vicky271
:arrow: LegendEx
Sprite/CG Artist
Background Artist
Voice Actors*
GUI/Logo Artist
Composer - Since one of the characters is a musician, I’m planning on including some original music for him. I’ll provide lyrics, I need your beautiful brain to help compose it. Theme songs and background music will be asked for, as well.
Lyricist
Video Editor* - For trailers and promos and things.
Proofreaders*
:arrow: Laera-chan
Editors*
:arrow: Laera-chan
Coder* - I’m planning on doing a bit of the coding myself but if there’s something I have trouble with, I’ll need some help.
PR/Media* - This includes web designers, and someone who is talented in spreading news and collecting hype for the project.
:arrow: Laera-chan (promoting)

(Basically, I’m looking for people who are willing to put time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears on a project that will give you nothing in return but pride, joy, and hopefully friendships. I need passionate people and I know it’s hard to hire someone who is willing to work for free but I’m hoping to find my diamonds-in-the -rough. My goal from the very beginning of this project was that I was going to do it just to make people happy, and that’s what I’m planning to do. That is my motivation for finishing this project, and if you share the same outlook, please don’t hesitate to contact me.)

Questions FOR YOU

1. How do you feel about this project? Excited? *Side eye-roll*? Poop emoji?? How’s the plot? Your overall opinion?
2. Who would you say is your favorite character so far, just from this outline? Are they interesting? Are you in love with one of them already??
3. What are you looking forward to? Or NOT looking forward to?
4. Questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, etc.?
Last edited by Mama J on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Mama J
Regular

Re: Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning (GxB)

#2 Post by Mama J »

Update:

> I'm still hoping some people could provide some feedback and answer the questions haha

> Also, recruited 2 more writers and already collaborated with them about plot development and other storylines

crytalstellar
Tumblr: crytalstellar

#3 Post by crytalstellar »

1. How do you feel about this project? Excited? *Side eye-roll*? Poop emoji?? How’s the plot? Your overall opinion?
  • I think that your premise is interesting. I like the whole.... entertainment world sort of idea? I especially like that Alessandra isn't a star herself. But on the other hand, I find it kind of hard to believe that she was co-managing a company at age 14. But really, that's my only issue with the idea.
2. Who would you say is your favorite character so far, just from this outline? Are they interesting? Are you in love with one of them already?? doyouwannabemyartistbcidesperatelyneedartistsokbye.
  • Of the guy options, I probably like Logan the best, based on the description. I like serious guys. xD Aeden is a close second (because I'm a masochist and like being teased) I think that you definitely has a quirky cast with a huge range of characters who are very different from one another.
  • I'm looking forward to see this develop more! Haha. More so than the romance and story, I'm really most interested in the development and growth of Alessandra. You present her as a very strong and intimidating character- I think love would, in a sense, soften her, so I'm interested to see how that will play out.

I can't really think of anything I'm noticably not looking forward to.
  • As I mentioned earlier, you have a large cast of characters, particularly main characters- however, I'm a little worried that some will end up more developed than others or there might be a lack of focus. I'm assuming that some will be more involved than others depending on the route.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing more updates and progress! :3

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Mama J wrote: -8 different endings BUT 1 overall TRUE ending
It sounds like you're creating a variety of endings. Will they range from positive to negative?
Mama J wrote: Grandpa Joe:
- The supportive/co-CEO. 77 years YOUNG, Joe is the only close living family member Alessandra has. He’s honestly the cutest grandfather anyone could have.
Right now, this is my favorite character. I sometimes find cool old guys to be entertaining. (For instance, I would probably have dropped the series Yawara! if not for the amusing antics of the character Jigoro.
Mama J wrote: Brianna Langley:
- The sweet/comedian. Brianna is basically the kind of person you would want with you if you want to have a good laugh. She has never let fame, money or the pressures of the entertainment industry get to her head. She may be overweight but she’s comfortable in her own skin and she has a lot of self-love. She is a role-model for plus-sized women and likes to spread the message of, “You don’t have to be skinny to feel beautiful.”
Isabella Rhodes:
- The brave/transgender spokesperson. Isabella was Ian before she realized her true identity. She pays no attention to the criticisms and hate of close-minded people. In fact, she’s too busy speaking to and inspiring others, and the LGBTQ community about being transgender. Her cause is to get the world to be more caring, to stop judging others for being different, and spread love.
I'm glad that these characters are confident about who they are. That said, I think you will benefit by making sure that they have ordinary flaws and weaknesses.

Mama J
Regular

#5 Post by Mama J »

I think that your premise is interesting. I like the whole.... entertainment world sort of idea? I especially like that Alessandra isn't a star herself. But on the other hand, I find it kind of hard to believe that she was co-managing a company at age 14. But really, that's my only issue with the idea.
Thank you!! And GAH! You're completely right dkhgeuwivb. What kind of 14 year old manages a company already?? Okay, I'll get to work on kind of fixing that - like maybe she wasn't exactly managing it but learning from her grandfather and helping him out with providing the talents with opportunities. Is that a little bit better? Let me know! (:
2. Who would you say is your favorite character so far, just from this outline? Are they interesting? Are you in love with one of them already?? doyouwannabemyartistbcidesperatelyneedartistsokbye.

Of the guy options, I probably like Logan the best, based on the description. I like serious guys. xD Aeden is a close second (because I'm a masochist and like being teased) I think that you definitely has a quirky cast with a huge range of characters who are very different from one another.
We share the same interest in serious guys :lol: But I would say Aedan is my own personal favorite, haha. And thanks, I was definitely going for a more universal kind of cast, you know? This challenged me to think outside the box, phew!
I'm looking forward to see this develop more! Haha. More so than the romance and story, I'm really most interested in the development and growth of Alessandra. You present her as a very strong and intimidating character- I think love would, in a sense, soften her, so I'm interested to see how that will play out.

I can't really think of anything I'm noticably not looking forward to.
I'm glad you are!! The prologue as well as the first chapter is being written as we speak, so a sample of that should hopefully be available in the next few days :) I'm looking forward to seeing how Alessandra develops as well! I mean, but I don't think we should expect a lot yet because this is going to be a series, so the development and growth of some of the cast could happen in the second installment or something ;)
As I mentioned earlier, you have a large cast of characters, particularly main characters- however, I'm a little worried that some will end up more developed than others or there might be a lack of focus. I'm assuming that some will be more involved than others depending on the route.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing more updates and progress! :3
I was worried about that, too! Which is why, again, I intended on making this a series because I knew I couldn't have everyone in the cast grow and develop fully in just one story :)

Thank you for taking the time to review this and share your thoughts! It definitely helps my morale and motivation, :mrgreen:

Mama J
Regular

#6 Post by Mama J »

It sounds like you're creating a variety of endings. Will they range from positive to negative?
Yes! There's going to be a bad and good ending for each of the romanceable characters, but a true ending in the very end to kind of seal the chapter (:
Right now, this is my favorite character. I sometimes find cool old guys to be entertaining. (For instance, I would probably have dropped the series Yawara! if not for the amusing antics of the character Jigoro.
Aww, Grandpa Joe is one of my favorites because of how much I just love love love old people! They're so adorable ahghahg :lol:
I'm glad that these characters are confident about who they are. That said, I think you will benefit by making sure that they have ordinary flaws and weaknesses.
Thank goodness this is being received well! I definitely wanted to include a very strong cast of women so creating Brianna and Isabelle was a humbling experience. I'll for sure take your advice and give them a bit more flaws and weaknesses!

Thanks for taking the time to answer review this!!

Mama J
Regular

#7 Post by Mama J »

-deleted-
Last edited by Mama J on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crytalstellar

#8 Post by crytalstellar »

Mama J wrote:Thank you!! And GAH! You're completely right dkhgeuwivb. What kind of 14 year old manages a company already?? Okay, I'll get to work on kind of fixing that - like maybe she wasn't exactly managing it but learning from her grandfather and helping him out with providing the talents with opportunities. Is that a little bit better? Let me know! (:
Yeah. I think that's better. LIke, maybe she was in that learning stage for a year or two, before rising to be co-CEO? From what you've presented of Alessandra, I can definitely imagine her being someone who works and studies very hard in pursuit of results.

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#9 Post by Laera-chan »

Mama J wrote:
Questions FOR YOU

1. I'm actually quite excited for this! It seems to be really interesting.
2. Aedan. His personality description hits all my buttons for the perfect guy so... He's probably the one I'd go for first. But tbh, I rather like them all. And I'd love to be an artist but... I can't draw to save my SOUL. *cries*
3. Also, the Reid/Wyatt interactions are something I'm looking forward to SO VERY MUCH!!! They just sound so adorable! Not really anything I'm not looking forward to, unless you can't cheer for the Reid/Wyatt OTP in-game. In which case, I don't look forward to that. Would totally love it if MC is a total Reid/Wyatt fangirl. Please please please? I have cookies!
4. *suggests allowing MC to not-so subtly throw Reid and Wyatt together and be the president of their non-existant new fanclub* //shot :lol:

ETA: OMG AEDAN!!!! His first sketch is AMAZING!!! I love it. *is now completely head-over-heels for Aedan* //shot

crytalstellar

#10 Post by crytalstellar »

The sketch looks really good! :D

Mama J
Regular

#11 Post by Mama J »

The sketch looks really good! :D
Thank you! I honestly can't wait until all the changes have been made and see how he turns out ((:
1. I'm actually quite excited for this! It seems to be really interesting.
Glad you think so!! Between you and me, the idea of the story just came crashing down on me one day haha :lol: Like I was just like, "OH I HAVE TO MAKE A STORY ABOUT THIS" when I was thinking about my sad life while laying in bed........
2. Aedan. His personality description hits all my buttons for the perfect guy so... He's probably the one I'd go for first. But tbh, I rather like them all. And I'd love to be an artist but... I can't draw to save my SOUL. *cries*
SAME HERE, AEDAN IS MY DREAM! But yeah, the entire cast - again - I just thought up out of the blue???? I love them (: (And it's okay, I can't draw either)
3. Also, the Reid/Wyatt interactions are something I'm looking forward to SO VERY MUCH!!! They just sound so adorable! Not really anything I'm not looking forward to, unless you can't cheer for the Reid/Wyatt OTP in-game. In which case, I don't look forward to that. Would totally love it if MC is a total Reid/Wyatt fangirl. Please please please? I have cookies!
4. *suggests allowing MC to not-so subtly throw Reid and Wyatt together and be the president of their non-existant new fanclub* //shot :lol:
Funny you said that because your idea has already been in my head since the beginning of time! No, I've always intended for MC to be the one to kind of push the ship together :lol: There will be times when choices can be made regarding the Ryatt(?) / Weid(???) ship (; ~Honestly, if fan art of them starts popping up, that will be the day I truly reach happiness~ HA
ETA: OMG AEDAN!!!! His first sketch is AMAZING!!! I love it. *is now completely head-over-heels for Aedan* //shot
Can I just say, first of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your excitement?? I've always been a kind of excitable person myself so seeing you get excited is making me 100% more excited!!! My artist hit all the right notes with him so far wowowow :D Can't wait for you to see the final sketch (;

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer

#12 Post by Laera-chan »

Woot! I love that she ships them. And I personally like Ryatt. I pronounce it in my head like riot, which is awesome, because this 'ship sounds like one. :D //shot

Also, yay for excitement! When I find a game that I really like, I get super excited about it! And this game is hitting almost all of my likes. (Aedan~! <3) :lol: And yus! If you're more excited, that means you'll work on it more, and then it'll be out sooner! My plan is working! :twisted: :lol: But you're right- I can't wait to see the final sketch of Aedan! And of all the others! Your artist is doing a great job so far!

Mama J
Regular

#13 Post by Mama J »

-deleted-
Last edited by Mama J on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laera-chan
Regular

#14 Post by Laera-chan »

Hmm. TBH, I like the hair and face of the first sketch better, and I'm not big on sleeve-tats, but... I'd be willing to give that part a chance. Is it possible to get a closer look at the tat? And sorry for being a downer, but honestly, I think the first sketch looks more like your description of Aedan than the second one. The second one looks more arrogant and 'I'm better than you' than the type that is kind of secretly a goof-ball. But who knows, maybe once it's colored in it'll look a bit different.

Mama J
Regular

#15 Post by Mama J »

You know what, I agree, actually! (The sleeve tattoos are going to stay haha) I'll go bother my artist about it and start apologizing to her a million times again dhgiuevbbwe. But it's for the best so :) Thanks for the input!!